• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Specific Points You Were Disappointed In KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Kirankrt

Lack of a variety of Disney Bosses to me really.

Honestly I feel like there should have been a scene wirh sora not treating MX as a big deal until Aqua snaps. Like really hammer in how her life was ruined by this old man.

Don’t shoehorn Sora into every Org 13 boss.

Have Aqua falling into darkness actually be Mickey’s fault for not saving her, not Ansem blasting her.

Kirankrt

No Buzz/Zurg fights. You can't just tease Evil Buzz & then have it resolved off-screen.

Literally everything Kairi.

Most of everything with Frozen (& I actually like the film for the record.) We couldn't even get Elsa as a summon?

Rapunzel being removed as a party member. Heck Finn's only in the party for like half the world's story too.

Oh this...yes this! I was looking forward to fight Evil Buzz! Even if Pixar wasn’t comfortable with the idea, well its their own fault for having every one of their films feature a delusional Buzz with acrobatic moves to hype us up.

galaxystars

Isa/Saix: Also deserves his own thing because screw him, seriously. Remember Severus Snape and how people who worshipped him as a saint who did nothing wrong after the last book got rightfully mocked because Snape, while a hero, was also a bad person who loved sadistically abusing and tormenting 11 year old kids without a reason? Yeah, that's how Isa/Saix be.
Isa took part in the 10 year-long Heartless invasion and world corruption started by the Organization and Ansem, kept messing with the world order, humiliated and emotionally tormented Sora and Roxas, kidnapped Kairi and did to Xion... well, what Snape did to Neville Longbottom: emotional and psychological abuse of the highest grade.
All of this because he was jealous. After helping out (read as: sending other equally repentant members to do the actual work) the good guys he still shows up at the final battle and doesn't hold back at all. When it's all said and done, he doesn't acknowledge or apologizes for anything he's done, says he's jealous and claims he won't even say it again and disappears.
His absolution comes at the hands of Lea, who while tied to him was, also because of this, the least qualified person to do so (what about Roxas and Xion?), and after that I have to put up with him frolicking happily with a bunch of children he either doesn't know at all or tried to hurt.
I know the fanfic scene is huge about him and his possible futures, and as long as that stays there I'm totally cool with it, but as far as I'm concerned he just worked as a boss I wanted to fight against.
Screw Isa.

I'm not going to add to much since most posters have been hitting it out of the part with KH3's issues,but this one in particular I had to comment on. I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that Saix has what I call The Severus Snape "Redemption".

He was willingly a Death Eater(a.k.a. a psychopathic nazi like murderer) but then switched because he had been creepily in love with Lily Potter his whole life even though he called her a slur and was a jerk to her too. Then he was a raging ass to her kid for his entire school life. However, he disgustingly got one of her grandsons named after him because he helped the cause, but not because he cared about the cause or the kid, but because he was still pining over the girl that didn't want him. Oh, he also helped get her and her husband killed, and her son orphaned, which only bothered him because it was her. He wouldn't have cared if the murdered were someone else.

Also there's the literal torture he did of Neville for no reason. He was a disgustingly cruel person that stumbled into doing the right thing, but not because of any moral right,but because he had a boner for a disinterested dead woman. I honestly can’t imagine Lily Potter being impressed with his near-decade long abuse to her son and his friends.

His character was reconstructed after six novels of him being an evil pos.

You don't even have to tweak much to say that Saix sounds scarily similar to Snape. As well as KH1 Riku. However, the biggest insult is that we now have to accept these horrible creatures as one of the good guys even though their arcs to get there were atrocious.

Last edited:

Veevee

Awards
Dunno if you've had the chance to read the VA interview from the KH3 Ultimania, but it does help to clarify the intentions of that scene a little bit?

I knew that interview and it bothers me xD because I can't see any of these feelings in the actual scene and if someone has to tell me they are in love with each other sooo deeply and it doesn't come off one bit, I don't buy it. It feels like an afterthought.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I knew that interview and it bothers me xD because I can't see any of these feelings in the actual scene and if someone has to tell me they are in love with each other sooo deeply and it doesn't come off one bit, I don't buy it. It feels like an afterthought.

But that's the point? Sora's voice actor says it himself that it's not as romantic as you might think.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, its really only Mamo who waxes on poetic. Miyu is like "eeeeeeeeeeeeh no that's wrong"

I think it is more telling that Nomura hasn't spoken about the paopu scene, which is crazy because you'd think it would have been considered a pivotal character moment, thus worth addressing in a post-game interview.

Veevee

Awards
Yeah, its really only Mamo who waxes on poetic. Miyu is like "eeeeeeeeeeeeh no that's wrong"

I think it is more telling that Nomura hasn't spoken about the paopu scene, which is crazy because you'd think it would have been considered a pivotal character moment, thus worth addressing in a post-game interview.

Yeah, I can't help but think Nomura wanted to dodge the bullet. Maybe that's what actually bothers me. Riku's va is all giddy on it being romantic and Miyu is like "rather not", but people still hold that scene as basically a marriage oath and refer to Chikai. And Nomura just keeps silent until, at the end of the game, has the need to have Sora die and because we kinda care about everyone else, it hits Kairi and no one besides Sora even cares. Everything about her is just so off in this game, even her voice acting kinda irritates me. It feels like she shouldn't even be there because not even the in-game characters give a damn.

What also bothers me tremendously is the lack of emotion on the character's faces. I have just rewatched the mysterious tower scene and everyone basically has the :| face most of the time or they look terribly bored. It feels so awkward that the only people showing emotion in these scenes are the ones talking and even in the moment when Ven declares that he remembers Lea, he just moves his arms a little and has this dead dull stare while saying "of course! We're friends!". Aqua doesn't even bother to turn around to the person who is speaking - she just keeps staring in Lea's direction even when Ven is speaking.
It's like when you go out with your friends but most of them hardly know each other, so only two of you are actually talking and everyone else just stares at you. No comments, no interest, no reactions. The dialogue in this game feels and looks really dull in scenes where you have more than three people involved. I was really looking forward to all the possible conversations in the game and got awkwardness with most of them ...

horto12485

Awards
Specific Points i was Disappointed with KH3

1: Phil having no Lines which Sucked also Not giving Hans any lines as well
2: Not having a Fully Explore-able Twilight Town
3: No sign of the Rest of the Toys (Jessie, Bullseye, Bo Peep, The Potato Heads and Slinky Dog)
4: No King Fredrick or Queen Arianna and the Stabbington Bros.
5: 100 Acre Wood (Nuff Said)
6: No Zurg
7: Not giving Kairi more Screentime
8: No Visit-able Radiant Garden
9: Castle Oblivion
10: No Final Fantasy Characters
11: Not enough Original Worlds
12: The Lack of Namine
13: No Brethen Court or Calypso or Davy Jones's Crew
14: Removal of Rapunzel as Party Member
15: Small Amount of Keyblades
16: Lack of Female Party Members
17: No Worlds for Wreck-it Ralph, Lilo and Stitch and The Lion King (I'm Disappointed they didn't Bring Back The Pride lands or Agrabah which Sucked)
18: No Agrabah
19: Not Visiting Digital Twilight Town
20: Not visiting Inside Buildings or Structures
21: No Treasure Planet or Atlantis: The Lost Empire
22: Lack of Character interaction in Arendelle
23: No Boss fight with Randall

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Yeahhh, there isn't a character limit high enough. The problem with the game's story fundamentally is that too few of the things that should have taken place or been emphasized were, and those things which did happen carried too little weight and grounding to feel impactful. So I had a low emotional investment throughout and not much was integrated in terms of specific or especially low points, outside of the usual (Kairi, etc.). My pet peeves have remained pretty steadfast, though:

- Princesses of Heart being wasted on a red herring that goes nowhere just to reinforce how singularly valueless women are to the KH brand. It was bad enough the original Princesses were sapped of all their relevance just like that so a new line of women could be shuffled in like plot devices hot off the factory press, but then they don't even do anything.

- Anti-Aqua. Same thing. Useless plot development that goes nowhere. Might as well have just put her in a coma for the first 80% of the game for all the difference it would make to her character arc. Then at least she and Kairi would have something in common!

- Namine. Literally what is there to say.

- Xion being made into a puppet again. The whole point of her story is that she was never a puppet. Not that KH3 carries anything meaningful over from preceding plotlines; just the bloated jargon that cluttered up the language of the franchise, divorced from any of its symbolic context. This game really has no concept of catharsis.

- Leon, Yuffie, Cid, Aerith. You know the drill.

Those are some of the big ones. Other thoughts:

- Not gay enough. Every Sora x Kairi moment just convinced me those characters have no narrative compass guiding their interactions anymore. Riku is for sure getting hetconned. I am sailing my ships as far away as fast as I can.

- Honestly the soundtrack wasn't very memorable outside of some standalone pieces (field & battle themes and the like). Shimomura seemed awfully distracted. It's almost like she didn't have a proper story to score!

- The Link system was almost great but then it wasn't. There are a lot of ways it could have been integrated but they went with making it feel as tagged on and half-hearted as possible. The guiding principle of this entire project, it would seem.

- The CGI faces on the pre-rendered models (or whatever the technical term for them is) bothered me. They looked doll-like and sallow and waxy and I couldn't take any of those scenes seriously because of it.
- Speaking of which, the Visual Works opening was the worst of the franchise. Still technically and visually impressive, but as a recap it does nothing DDD's didn't do better and it somehow manages to be both less faithful and less inventive in delivering the legacy of the series. It's basically just Sora whacked people with his Keysword and Kairi's his gf The End.

- They're just not even trying/allowed to write the Disney world stories anymore. There's nothing there but a contractual obligation.

- What are the Heartless even doing in this game. I mean, what are they actually doing. They serve no function.
- Same could be said for half or more of the villains, tbh.

- Dive to the Heart was too abridged and lacking in a substantial sense of foreboding. Didn't set the stage properly. Same with KH 2.9, just weak self-referential humor. The game is an ongoing exercise in following the bad with worse.

- Everybody talks, nobody engages. More than half the game felt like attending a lecture being given by people who care less about the story than I do.

I could go on, but suffice to say, the worst part of it all was when the beginning piano chords of DTT were being struck and I felt nothing. I just knew that I was done with it all and that was that. Not a fond farewell but a bogus knock-off denouement they could have outsourced to FanFiction.net and had produced in half the time. Even Utada Hikaru could not save the wreckage.

a pivotal character moment
Of the things that KH3 does not comprehend, this tops the list.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
- Speaking of which, the Visual Works opening was the worst of the franchise. Still technically and visually impressive, but as a recap it does nothing DDD's didn't do better and it somehow manages to be both less faithful and less inventive in delivering the legacy of the series. It's basically just Sora whacked people with his Keysword and Kairi's his gf The End.

That is true. Adding to the long list of concepts that overruled others just because it's what Nomura now thinks is cool: chess.
Like, seriously. It's like he discovered you can have chess-themed symbolism in your story (I guess better late than never) and couldn't think of anything else.
"Look, people are fighting like in the DDD intro, but this time it's on a chessboard."

Sadly, it wasn't even some particularly good chess-themed content. Like, at that point I'd rather have him go full into it and tying it more into the narrative and characters: what is the name of each chess piece? What do they represent, and how it ties with the character it represents?
I wouldn't have minded maybe having the chessboard during loading screens after important events, showing what the stage looked like at that specific moment. Of course it needed some tweaks, such as villains doing something and a narrative that didn't start at the last third of the game, to work.

- What are the Heartless even doing in this game. I mean, what are they actually doing. They serve no function.

I miss back when in KH1 Heartless were literal hellspawn demons and had an intimidating presence. They're basically a slight annoyance nowadays, and the Norts use them as fodder.
Since 0.2 even when Heartless do appear, what are they doing indeed. From the Darkside Fire Nation doing the Spirit Bomb to the huge tornado which swallowed other Heartless and Nobodies alike, to the weird Grim Reaper thing (he's cool, but why is he even a concept? Heartless just steal hearts and assimilate them, no need to introduce a Charon figure), I am just clueless at what should Heartless represent today.

- Dive to the Heart was too abridged and lacking in a substantial sense of foreboding.

Yes! Man, how that bothered me.
Dove to the Heart is what I associate with Kingdom Hearts, it's such a simple yet effective imagery. KH II's one also kinda works, especially when you're still unsure what's Roxas connection with Sora.
Here is just... eh. Also, random KH1 Sora and his clothes, because yes.

disney233

Awards
They showed footage of the tree, the UFO, the wolf, the Titans, the snail/slug unversed thing, and other bosses in trailers

So yeah, they spoiled them all while saying they weren’t.
Yeah that was REALLY a blue-balled moment there. Like.....jesus literally ALL of the bosses in the trailer were shown yet they were meant to be a surprise? That was another disappointment on my end.

While we're on the topic of nitpicks like why are the Heartless here we can go on to question Sora's purpose in the Disney worlds. None. Sora had no purpose to go to any Disney world. Apparently he needed to find the Power of Waking, yet they done did the all the more boring "ahh...the power was within you this whole time" tropue. An ANNOYING tropue, which paints EVERY world Sora went to pointless as hell. But hey, if anything it almost felt like Sora had no purpose in anything in 3 in general.

Last edited:

redcrown

Awards
Riku is for sure getting hetconned.

Worst fear right here.
Remember when the game implied (or more like fans jumped the gun over something extremely minor and claimed it as confirmed) that Riku had romantic feelings for Namine, but Nomura mercifully, firmly, and very quickly said it was completely platonic? Good times.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
- The CGI faces on the pre-rendered models (or whatever the technical term for them is) bothered me. They looked doll-like and sallow and waxy and I couldn't take any of those scenes seriously because of it.
That's the words I've been looking for! I've been wanting to mention the pre-rendered faces for a while now, but couldn't put my finger on what my issue is. I was just "looks right, but not looks right." lol The mouths have looked weird too, where it's like they're a little puckered.

Speaking of mouths, the in-game models have a weird thing going on too, where there's this weird wrinkling on the lips. Not every character seems to have it, but Sora's are very noticeable and I can't stop staring at it.

On one hand though, the opening gives a perfect impression of what to expect in the game.

Sora doing everything.

I still can't get over how Riku wasn't with him when fighting Xemnas.

Here is just... eh. Also, random KH1 Sora and his clothes, because yes.
And they couldn't even get KH1 Sora's hair right. It's been shortened.

Yeah that was REALLY a blue-balled moment there. Like.....jesus literally ALL of the bosses in the trailer were shown yet they were meant to be a surprise? That was another disappointment on my end.

While we're on the topic of nitpicks like why are the Heartless here we can go on to question Sora's purpose in the Disney worlds. None. Sora had no purpose to go to any Disney world. Apparently he needed to find the Power of Waking, yet they done did the all the more boring "ahh...the power was within you this whole time" tropue. An ANNOYING tropue, which paints EVERY world Sora went to pointless as hell. But hey, if anything it almost felt like Sora had no purpose in anything in 3 in general.
And why did Yen Sid want Sora wandering around aimlessly hoping maybe he'll gain it back? What's stopping Yen Sid, or Riku, or Mickey from helping? It's not like Sora needed to do it on his own for it to work or something. Ven just straight up tells Sora he had it all along and boom, Sora has it back.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I think the point where I was first really disappointed was Arendelle. Not just because of the World not living up to it's potential, but also because I was realizing the main plot wasn't advancing. Mickey and Riku weren't going to save Aqua and we wouldn't be seeing Kairi or Lea's training. I was already a bit taken aback by the fact that Riku and Mickey failed in their first attempt, but at this point it was really being dragged out.

Later I was a disappointed how we just rushed through the events I'd been looking forward to. Aqua and Ven's rescues happen and then Snap we're at the Keybalde Graveyard saving the other characters.

It didn't help that I at this point also got confirmation, that the odd set ups sprinkled throughout this game were sequel bating, which I'm not totally against but how it was handled here didn't sit right.

We never really got to interact with Aqua, Kairi, Ven, Lea, Riku or Mickey. If they had made the Tower playable they could have included so much optional conversation to wrap up and address so many character interactions I've been burning to see.

Also couldn't the saving of Aqua have happened at the midpoint or earlier. With her needing to rest and retrain a bit before, maybe quickly join Kairi and Lea.
Sora "lost all his strength" after falling to darkness, why didn't that apply to Aqua as well? She could have then saved Ven a world later and the story could focus on helping to collect info and material to create replica bodies for Roxas and Naminé and have Sora try and figure out who the other heart in him is.

Moving Aqua, Ven and Roxas' rescues up would have let them breath more and given us more of what I wanted: Character interaction and development.

I also was disappointed with how they handled Sora regaining the Power of Waking, like couldn't the moments in the Disney worlds been somewhat involved in him regaining it?

Not letting the various characters other than Sora really have moments to shine, reach their goals or defeat their oppressors was also a bit of a let down. So many characters voiced their wishes and goals but none of them got to actually meet them.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
and have Sora try and figure out who the other heart in him is.
This is a really good example of how KH3 cheapens its own premises over and over: the third heart inside Sora is introduced specifically as a mystery he and his friends need to solve, but it's not a mystery to the well-informed audience, which means that on a storytelling level it's leaning not into the revelation but the follow through on the other end of the revelation. We're meant to anticipate that Sora's discovery of Xion will represent a turning point, encompassed in a moment with real meaning and weight to it...and instead we get a cop out eleventh hour drive-by delivery of the plot point with zero rebound on the development of the narrative or even Sora as a character. It's not even clear if he's aware of what Xion sacrificed for him and the full magnitude of what it cost to restore his memories and reawaken him-- if he has any real grasp of the source of the "torment" these characters with connections to him were facing, which if anyone cares to remember was the entire idea behind how these characters were gong to be saved: by unburdening them of the pain they carry.

Nope, instead it's Roxas swooping in without any preface and Xion being remembered because Nomura checked his watch and realized it was getting late that day and writing is haaaard.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

I don't really know other games that Nomura works on, but I think I read somewhere that he doesn't really like to write romances? That could have been someone else, but I feel like I read that Nomura doesn't like to focus on romance in his works.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This is a really good example of how KH3 cheapens its own premises over and over: the third heart inside Sora is introduced specifically as a mystery he and his friends need to solve, but it's not a mystery to the well-informed audience, which means that on a storytelling level it's leaning not into the revelation but the follow through on the other end of the revelation. We're meant to anticipate that Sora's discovery of Xion will represent a turning point, encompassed in a moment with real meaning and weight to it...and instead we get a cop out eleventh hour drive-by delivery of the plot point with zero rebound on the development of the narrative or even Sora as a character. It's not even clear if he's aware of what Xion sacrificed for him and the full magnitude of what it cost to restore his memories and reawaken him-- if he has any real grasp of the source of the "torment" these characters with connections to him were facing, which if anyone cares to remember was the entire idea behind how these characters were gong to be saved: by unburdening them of the pain they carry.

Well despite it being rather clear to most attentive fans, who the three hearts were, quite a few fans still saw the third one as a mystery. At least initially.

I agree with what you are saying here. Sora understanding and relieving some of the hurt was set up as a plot point and really would have been a more satisfying to experience.

This would have also been a somewhat organic way to recap their stories and adventures.

I'm kind of amazed that Riku didn't think to bring up the black haired girl he saw along with Roxas and Ven, when he dived into Sora's heart.

Both Sora and Riku encountered Xion in DDD, so it's kind of baffling neither thought to look into the black haired girl that looks like Kairi. Especially after learning about a third unaccounted for heart.

Nope, instead it's Roxas swooping in without any preface and Xion being remembered because Nomura checked his watch and realized it was getting late that day and writing is haaaard.

Honestly this seems like another example of their waiting until the last minute to actually develop the set up story biting them in the rear.

I feel like the only one that really should have been saved at the Keyblade Graveyard should have been Terra. With Roxas and Xion, being saved earlier and at RD undergoing the process to be revived. They could then later make a grand opening in the fight.

Back