• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Special Trailer Analysis (part 1)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Just going to write down some of the things I was struck by in the trailer and my thoughts on them (most of which occurs after the 6 minute mark). I apologize if some/most of this has been said. Not really going anywhere with this, I wanted to just get it all down.

[ok so I didn't have much time to put down my thoughts, might edit this another day, for now it's only the start of one topic]

1. Riku and Young MX

Probably the most interesting points in the trailer. Let’s take a look at some dialogue:

???: Why are you here?

Riku: You’re...!

???: Not conscious? Then you can’t do a thing. You’ll drift between waking and sleep, for good.

Note what YMX is implying. By asking why Riku’s there, he sounds as though he doesn’t want Riku to be there. “You can’t do a thing.” He has plans for Riku in the outside realm (or maybe he wants to wake something up inside Riku). But rather than saying Riku is fully asleep, he instead says he’s half-way between waking and sleep. That’s pretty much a reflection of:

Riku: I walk the road to dawn!

In other words, YMX doesn’t want Riku walking the fence, he wants him to choose a side. Darkness of course, right? Well that’s pretty good odds from Xehanort in a 50/50. All the same, there’s another way of looking at this. Check it out:

Young Master Xehanort: It really looks like you’ve let too much darkness into your heart, somehow.

Young Master Xehanort: The time is near.

Too much darkness. Interesting choice of words. If YMX had wanted Riku to choose darkness, well, it would have been game over when Riku had “enough” darkness in his heart. But too much? What could that mean? Simple- go the other way. Bizarre, but I think YMX may actually want Riku to head for the light. A Riku that flies. Darkness turns to light. That’s a part of YMX’s scheme, he believes the time is near for Riku to turn to the light (in any case, I think Riku’s struggle with darkness at this point is a bit trite, so this would certainly be interesting and new).

But still... why? Why would YMX want that? He wants Riku to awaken fully on the side of light.
There has to be some adverse effect, something to counterbalance it. I’m not sure what.
And I have at least one idea. But it's too convoluted and I don't feel like writing it right now lol.

For a later date! (plus other things)

EDIT:
--------------------------------------------

2. Roxas and Axel, Xion and Namine

Just a little something I was thinking about. Assuming, of course, that the Roxas/Axel scene takes place in the RoS, I’m wondering why Xion isn’t with them (not that I’m complaining). I mean:

Roxas: You promised us, right? That no matter how many times we left, you’d always be there to bring us back.

They directly reference Xion there. They remember her and everything. Why isn’t she with them then?

What’s interesting is what we see later on in the trailer:

tumblr_lzdwu6ku5q1qgxr1ko3_250.gif

Notice Namine and Xion. They’re in practically the same position, with the same facial expressions (and Sora seems to pop up between the Namine and Xion scene, which I would guess they cut out him walking over or something, buuuut what’s weird is it’s KH2 Sora? Not sure what’s going on there... anyway...). So, like, is it possible that Namine and Xion are together somehow? I honestly have no idea why they would be together like that. They’re both reflections of Kairi, true. And in some respects, they’re opposites (Namine never had memories and always sought them, Xion IS memories), but I don’t know how this would connect them.

Anyway, going back to Axel for a second (or Lea rather):

Yen Sid: I’ll say it again. There’s no easy path.

Lea: Yeah. Hurry up and get on with it.

I would guess this takes place before the scene in the JF trailer where Axel talks about getting stuck with the icky jobs (whatever Yen Sid is about to instruct him to do, I bet that’s the job he’s referring to). Anyway, what’s his task? Well, he needs to find someone/something (can’t tell if by “you” he means the DtD diagram or Ienzo and co.). If it’s finding the other somebodies, maybe Yen Sid wants to enlist those who have not been tainted by Xehanort to help fight against him, since Nomura did say that BbS suggested they were normal people rather than villains.

But that can’t be the end of Lea’s job, that’s definitely not “icky.” I still think it has something to do with Isa, who’s most likely one of Xehanort’s “seeds” now or what have you. Knowing Lea’s relationship with Isa, perhaps Yen Sid is trying to make Lea into a double agent to spy on Xehanort through Isa, or something like that. It’s certainly Lea’s field, since as Axel, spying double agent crap is pretty much all he did.

3. Sora’s Torment

No shocks here, pretty much panning out exactly as coded foreshadowed, we’ve known this was coming:

Young Master Xehanort: The things you treasure will be sealed away in the depths of your memories, and you’ll forget.

Just as Data-Roxas and Data-Namine suggested, it sounds like this pain and burden is starting to eat away at Sora’s heart and make him forget.

What’s interesting, though, is this:

Xemnas: I see... The memories and emotions you’ve had up until now... Can you really say they all originally came from you?

I’m guessing Xemnas is doing one of his memory detect things here (where he rushes through Sora), and we’re getting a first person perspective on it. Now, while it doesn’t as strongly suggest it as the original translation, there appears to be some sort of identity crisis going on here. What Sora feels, what Sora remembers, much of it is not his own. How much of Sora is really Sora? How have all these different people affected him? After all, as Sora himself says in the BbS secret ending, he is who he is because of them. I think it’s interesting if they’re going in this direction.

Now, Yen Sid says later in the trailer that those sleeping will need to return in order to fight Xehanort (which sounds to me, as much as I hate to say it, like it’s literal, ie Roxas/Namine/Xion/etc popping back into the Realm of Light). But what’s interesting is, when you take away all of these people who have had an effect on Sora and are a part of him in some way, what will be left? Will he be the same Sora?

Aaaaand that’s all for now again. I know these aren’t really theories, but I still want to get it all down.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Note what YMX is implying.

Just note that the 'Not conscious?' line is changed now, and was born from me originally me not knowing how to translate 無意識, lol. That word means 'unconscious' in the sense of 'not realising' or 'unaware'. Apparently, the word for 'unconscious' as in 'asleep' or 'knocked out' is 意識不明, and they are not synonyms the way they are in English. Idk though, we'll have to wait for the localisation I think...

Also, there is a chance that that YMX might actually be Vanitas. I couldn't figure out if he was just YMX sounding off or actually another person, lol

Not sure that changes the point of what you said, though! It definitely does seem like he doesn't want Riku walking the middle road.

'Too much darkness' was an early error too! It's actually more like:

It seems you’ve really figured out the technique to locking up the darkness in your heart, somehow.

MAN

WHY DO I SUCK SO BAD

Here's my final version, best I could do:

JustSnilloc

I think Riku has more darkness than any normal person should have. Given his previous experiences with Darkness, and him being relatively unaffected by the Darkness, he's learned the "proper" way to use darkness, after all Mickey said he's never seen anybody wield darkness the way Riku does

Zul

Awards
Just note that the 'Not conscious?' line is changed now, and was born from me originally me not knowing how to translate 無意識, lol. That word means 'unconscious' in the sense of 'not realising' or 'unaware'. Apparently, the word for 'unconscious' as in 'asleep' or 'knocked out' is 意識不明, and they are not synonyms the way they are in English. Idk though, we'll have to wait for the localisation I think...

Also, there is a chance that that YMX might actually be Vanitas. I couldn't figure out if he was just YMX sounding off or actually another person, lol

Not sure that changes the point of what you said, though! It definitely does seem like he doesn't want Riku walking the middle road.

It seems you’ve really figured out the technique to locking up the darkness in your heart, somehow.

MAN

WHY DO I SUCK SO BAD

Here's my final version, best I could do:
6a00d8341c387d53ef0148c84decb8970c-320wi "> 6a00d8341c387d53ef0148c84decb8970c-320wi " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Awards

oh shiiiiiiiiit, good thing I didn't go post the rest of my thoughts lol. But it's all good!
Actually, yeah, this doesn't change too much of what I was saying.

He's still suggesting that he doesn't want Riku to take the middle road.

And that other revised line, while it's completely different, that could still be a case for the idea that YMX wants Riku to choose the light.
"It seems you’ve really figured out the technique to locking up the darkness in your heart, somehow. The time for my revenge is near."

Riku locked up the darkness in his heart? Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Naminé: It's not your memories. It's your darkness. In your heart there is
darkness, and in that darkness is Ansem. He may be at bay for now---but
eventually he'll wake, and he will take over you just like he did before. But I
have powers you can use. With my powers, I can put a tight lock on your heart.
That way, Ansem could never come out from inside you.

Riku: What happens to me if I let you do that? Will I forget everything like
Sora?

(Naminé is silent)

Riku: I'll have to.

Naminé: The darkness in you will be sealed tight just like your memory. You'll
stop remembering the darkness. You'll go back to how you were. Riku, please
choose.

The way he was before. Like the kid that Terra detected so much light in. Sooo, sounds like Riku is on his way to choosing the light rather than walking the middle road (perhaps with unintended consequences, locking the darkness away deep in your heart can't be healthy). It's just a matter of whether or not YMX wants that, and I can't tell from that dialogue. He might. Sounds like he's using Riku's ability to seal off the darkness as an indicator of when his "revenge" can begin, ie it's what he was planning.

But for now I'm going to hold off on that, maybe edit the first post and write some impressions of other parts of the trailer.
The explanation I had in mind involved that special connection between Sora and Riku that I've been blabbing on about since BbS/coded, that there's some kind of counterbalance between them. Meaning YMX wants Riku's light to grow because it will make Sora's darkness to grow. But eh.

MAN

WHY DO I SUCK SO BAD

YOU DON'T.
I suck so bad for jumping all over a translation and scrutinizing every tiny word.

EVEN SO some of the less accurate translations prove to be gems. Case in point:

Hey I heard Ansem made clothes for Org XIII

6a00d8341c387d53ef0148c84decb8970c-320wi

tumblr_lq6sel6psY1qcj56b.gif

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
That Riku theory would certainly complete the full saying that everyone is blabbing about about darkness becoming light and light becoming darkness. If Sora lets those bad memories come out of him, or if the data Ansem placed inside his heart is darkness and comes out, Sora would certainly go towards darkness while Riku goes towards light.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
You made me realize that riku recognizes the young mx? Sora as far as we know does not. Riku was very intimidated in there first encounter too

Rallade

Awards
I guess one thing that would help theorize what happens would be the fact that Sora (& any other character we end up controlling), in the next game, has to go back to being level 1, somehow.

Revolution

Yen Sid: I'll tell you again, it's not an easy path
Could this have something to do with getting Roxas and Xion back, from the scene with Roxas prior to that in the trailer?

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
Could this have something to do with getting Roxas and Xion back, from the scene with Roxas prior to that in the trailer?

Mabey, i thought he some how knew Yen sid can open the realm of sleep, but how? How did axel even get there, he cant keep using the dark corridors anymore?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Just a little something I was thinking about. Assuming, of course, that the Roxas/Axel scene takes place in the RoS, I’m wondering why Xion isn’t with them (not that I’m complaining). I mean:

Roxas: You promised us, right? That no matter how many times we left, you’d always be there to bring us back.

They directly reference Xion there. They remember her and everything. Why isn’t she with them then?

What’s interesting is what we see later on in the trailer:

tumblr_lzdwu6ku5q1qgxr1ko3_250.gif

Notice Namine and Xion. They’re in practically the same position, with the same facial expressions (and Sora seems to pop up between the Namine and Xion scene, which I would guess they cut out him walking over or something, buuuut what’s weird is it’s KH2 Sora? Not sure what’s going on there... anyway...). So, like, is it possible that Namine and Xion are together somehow? I honestly have no idea why they would be together like that. They’re both reflections of Kairi, true. And in some respects, they’re opposites (Namine never had memories and always sought them, Xion IS memories), but I don’t know how this would connect them.
I actually doubt it is a real scene in the RoS but rather a dream Lea has or a memory of Axel since this is shown right before Lea awakens as a human.
The whole scenery is a bit surreal since 1st everyone having forgotten Xion was said to be at least part of the torment and 2nd for someone who is "in torment" Roxas behaved way too cheerful.

Naminé and Xion being together could additionally to what you said also be a throwback to Re: Coded. When Data-Sora and Mickey viewed the tormented memories Axel and Roxas were shown together alone, then Naminé and Xion in one group and then TAV.

Naminé's torment could also be related to Xion (and possibly to Roxas as well) since if I remember correctly in Days Naminé said to Xion when they met "I can't save you" and she wasn't so thrilled about ending Roxas's physical existence as well as she confessed to Riku when she spoke about how stunned she was to learn about how both Roxas and Xion were fervently fighting to be their own persons.
Would it be too farfetched to assume that this may play into Naminé's problems as well?

Anyways, I'm also curious what you make of the red-eyed "thing" and Nightmare-Ventus armor. ;)

Anyway, going back to Axel for a second (or Lea rather):

Yen Sid: I’ll say it again. There’s no easy path.

I would guess this takes place before the scene in the JF trailer where Axel talks about getting stuck with the icky jobs (whatever Yen Sid is about to instruct him to do, I bet that’s the job he’s referring to). Anyway, what’s his task? Well, he needs to find someone/something (can’t tell if by “you” he means the DtD diagram or Ienzo and co.). If it’s finding the other somebodies, maybe Yen Sid wants to enlist those who have not been tainted by Xehanort to help fight against him, since Nomura did say that BbS suggested they were normal people rather than villains.

But that can’t be the end of Lea’s job, that’s definitely not “icky.” I still think it has something to do with Isa, who’s most likely one of Xehanort’s “seeds” now or what have you. Knowing Lea’s relationship with Isa, perhaps Yen Sid is trying to make Lea into a double agent to spy on Xehanort through Isa, or something like that. It’s certainly Lea’s field, since as Axel, spying double agent crap is pretty much all he did.

Heh, I can't resist thinking of a Harry Potter reference then with Yen Sid taking Dumbledore's role and Lea Snape's, lol.

As for the actual tasks at hand, it having to do with Isa could be pretty much likely and Lea helping Yen Sid (and Sora by extension) may bring him closer to his goal, which is apparently somehow getting Roxas and Xion back.
Maybe Lea's "payment" for helping out like that will be Yen Sid assisting him with his goal in return?
He might also try to save Isa in the long term from Xehanort and bring him back on the "good" side, they are/were old friends after all.

No shocks here, pretty much panning out exactly as coded foreshadowed, we’ve known this was coming:

Young Master Xehanort: The things you treasure will be sealed away in the depths of your memories, and you’ll forget.

Just as Data-Roxas and Data-Namine suggested, it sounds like this pain and burden is starting to eat away at Sora’s heart and make him forget.

What’s interesting, though, is this:

Xemnas: I see... The memories and emotions you’ve had up until now... Can you really say they all originally came from you?

I’m guessing Xemnas is doing one of his memory detect things here (where he rushes through Sora), and we’re getting a first person perspective on it. Now, while it doesn’t as strongly suggest it as the original translation, there appears to be some sort of identity crisis going on here. What Sora feels, what Sora remembers, much of it is not his own. How much of Sora is really Sora? How have all these different people affected him? After all, as Sora himself says in the BbS secret ending, he is who he is because of them. I think it’s interesting if they’re going in this direction.

Now, Yen Sid says later in the trailer that those sleeping will need to return in order to fight Xehanort (which sounds to me, as much as I hate to say it, like it’s literal, ie Roxas/Namine/Xion/etc popping back into the Realm of Light). But what’s interesting is, when you take away all of these people who have had an effect on Sora and are a part of him in some way, what will be left? Will he be the same Sora?

Aaaaand that’s all for now again. I know these aren’t really theories, but I still want to get it all down.

To me it really comes over that Sora normally might be able to cope with all the torment from the others like the Data-Sora managed, but the Mysterious Figure and Xemnas are waging a sort of subtle psycho-war on Sora which slowly gets to him.

That Sora has sometimes emotional rushes he can't explain and that aren't his were shown often throughout the series though, like him crying as a kid when he felt Ven's pain and sadness through their heart connection or Roxas crying through him when he left Twilight Town for the first time in KH2.

"Can you really say they all originally came from you? "
Xemnas is definitely right with that sentence since Ven, Roxas and Xion all have their own memories and minds (and in Ven's case even his heart) inside Sora's.
That doesn't mean Sora would be empty without them though, I rather suspect that Xemnas and the MF are deliberately trying to throw Sora into turmoil so he isn't in an emotionally grounded state where he could peacefully arrange and separate the different stuff inside him.
It strangely reminds me of how Sephiroth toyed around with Cloud in Final Fantasy VII, broke him and later he needed help from Tifa to rebuild his own shattered mind.
Maybe Xemnas and the MF are aiming for something similar here.

Revolution said:

Possibly, although in order to have any chance to save Roxas and Xion in some form Sora needs to be safe first.

Mabey, i thought he some how knew Yen sid can open the realm of sleep, but how? How did axel even get there, he cant keep using the dark corridors anymore?
He can.
We saw him doing it in the Jump Festa Trailer when he threw a chakram at Pete.
Why do you think he still has his black coat? Because he uses Dark Corridors for travel.

Marx15

Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω
After reading your Riku and YMX piece, and saying that he wants Riku to be fully on the light, the first thing that came to my mind was that YMX held something of Terra, or is what remains of Terra. (Or Eraqus maybe....the dude definitely went somewhere)

Like Terra doesn't want the same thing to happen to Riku that happened to him, or Ven for that matter.

Meaning that MX could be looking for a new vessel, and may just try for Riku again, like Ansem SoD did.
Or he plans on using Riku as a means for the X-Blade.

Either way, thinking of YMX wanting to keep Riku on the light just makes me think Terra.

Then, if you ask me, if YMX has something to do with Terra, and since YMX is MF, then MF's motives in BBS could seem justifiable.
MF=Terra would mean that he went back in time to BBS to try and stop Aqua, Ven, and himself, no matter the consequences.

He stops himself, then MX has no vessel. Also creating a paradox of sorts.
He stops Aqua, then Aqua would have never approached Terranort in RG and ended up in the RoD. Possibly creating a paradox.
He stops Ven, then the X-Blade would never have been forged. Might just change some things to come too.

But still, any one of them being defeated may have just ended up creating a paradox.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess
The one thing I hated about BBS, was how Sora's struggles in KH1 turned him into some sort of puppet after BBS. It wasn't really him saying those things, it was Ven trying to fight out.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on what you say. I always liked analysis.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The one thing I hated about BBS, was how Sora's struggles in KH1 turned him into some sort of puppet after BBS. It wasn't really him saying those things, it was Ven trying to fight out.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on what you say. I always liked analysis.

That doesn't really make sense. Ven's heart is severely injured and he's asleep inside Sora, he couldn't "try to fight out" or anything similar.

Radar

Bronze Member
First I want to say I really liked reading your theory post. The trailer was the most epic thing I have seen since the original BBS trailer.

MF/YMX/Vanitas who-ever it is, wants Riku to choose the light. And Sora to loose himself, so my first thought was x-blade (of course.) But I don't think that is really what he is going for. Maybe he just wants Sora out of the picture. (thus eliminating the possibility of him saving the others in torment.) The Xehanorts have him sitting in that chair (appearing asleep) Maybe that is when the Torment finally caught up with Sora. It's just, what do they want with him?

Also, I am also looking forward to you ventus-black armor theory because I am no touching that one.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess
That doesn't really make sense. Ven's heart is severely injured and he's asleep inside Sora, he couldn't "try to fight out" or anything similar.

I mean, rather then Sora making his own adventure, he suddenly turns into an echo of Ven's. "My Friends are my power" is great in KH1, but after Birth By Sleep you can practically see Ven subconsciously pulling the strings. Sora's adventure ceased to be entirely his own.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I mean, rather then Sora making his own adventure, he suddenly turns into an echo of Ven's. "My Friends are my power" is great in KH1, but after Birth By Sleep you can practically see Ven subconsciously pulling the strings. Sora's adventure ceased to be entirely his own.

Except we know that is not the case.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
Except we know that is not the case.
Well, not really. It is kind of obvious that all of Sora's adventure is pretty much related to Ven, sure it's his own, but none of this would have happened(to Sora) if Ven didn't go in his heart. I know Terra influenced Riku to the extent he showed him a keyblade, but the Ven and Sora connection is pretty much one of the main things going on. There's many reasons to think that Ven, and others in(or were) in his(Sora) heart influenced things, memories, deja vu', abilities, etc. In DDD we even see (presumably Xemnas) saying to Sora something like " how can you be sure all those memories/feelings are truly your own ", so it is the case kinda.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Well, not really. It is kind of obvious that all of Sora's adventure is pretty much related to Ven, sure it's his own, but none of this would have happened(to Sora) if Ven didn't go in his heart.
Ven only gave Sora the ability to dual-wield, nothing more; confirmed by Nomura. He basically said that he didn't want Sora to be predestined to be the hero or anything special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back