• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Special Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Countdown!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Can you believe it? As of now, only a few hours stand between now and the North American release of Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days! And now, to bring our 358/2 Days Organization XIII countdown to a conclusion, we bring you Number I: Xemnas, the Superior of the In-Between.

11qpif6.jpg

What We Know So Far:
Before the events of the main Kingdom Hearts titles, Xemnas’ somebody was Xehanort, the foremost apprentice of Ansem the Wise and leader of the team of six apprentices under him. When Ansem forbade them from continuing their research, and they were forced to continue in secret, the experiments they conducted on themselves backfired, thus resulting in the first six Nobodies; Xemnas was born.
Xemnas first appeared in the game under the name “Unknown,” or “Enigmatic Cloaked Man,” as an optional boss in the Japanese-exclusive Kingdom Hearts Final Mix. In a chamber deep within the castle Hollow Bastion, the Superior appears to Sora, hooded, and tests his ability in a challenging boss battle, during which he relentlessly assaults the Keyblade wielder with a number of powerful attacks. At the end, however it all proved to be a simple test, and Xemnas, satisfied after combating Sora, disappears, remarking to him that he was a “mere shell.” An early hint at what Nobodies are, perhaps?

The next time the party encounters Xemnas is in Kingdom Hearts II, in which he is the primary antagonist. During the cutscene sequences in the beginning of the game, during which the player controls Roxas inside DiZ’s virtual Twilight Town, Xemnas (whose face isn’t yet revealed) is shown conversing with Roxas on the black shores of what is presumed to be the realm of darkness. There, he holds a mostly one-sided conversation with the young Nobody, commenting vaguely about how he was “all that’s left…or perhaps…all there ever was.” Then, addressing Roxas more directly, he mentions that he had been to see “him,” referring to his previous confrontation with Sora in Hollow Bastion. Then, perhaps wondering whether mention of Sora would spur Roxas’ memory, he asks him, “Do you remember your true name?” No more of the conversation is shown, as the beach scene cuts and fades away.

The first official confrontation with Xemnas in the game occurs at Hollow Bastion, where the Organization summons a small party of Nobodies to attack Sora and Leon whilst they are enclosed inside the bailey of the castle. Once the Nobodies are dispatched and Sora emerges from inside, he taunts the spiky-haired youth, remarking that the Keyblade should have been in more experienced and capable hands. Laughing at Sora’s expense, Xemnas and the six other remaining members of the Organization disappear into the Corridors of Darkness. Later, Xemnas makes a brief, yet significant, since his face is revealed at that point, appearance, also at Hollow Bastion. While Maleficent calls the Heartless to her aid in taking back her former stronghold, Xemnas appears atop a high outcropping in the Great Maw, smiling malignantly at the sight of Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Mickey in peril. Shortly after, he disappears into darkness, King Mickey following after him.

When Sora, Donald, Goofy, and King Mickey finally reach Organization XIII’s stronghold in the World That Never Was, Xemnas is forced to appear once more, as Ansem the Wise attempts to encode the Kingdom Hearts he created there into data. Upon arrival, he finds Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku, Kairi, and King Mickey, along with his former master Ansem the Wise, hunched pitifully over his self-destructing machine. As close to pleasure as he could come, Xemnas proceeded to scorn Ansem, calling him a fool, and a weakling for having a heart. He sets off on a spiteful monologue against him, pointing out every weakness flaw that Ansem possessed, pointedly saying how foolish he was for holding him back in his experimentation. Yet in the end, Ansem is the one who has the last laugh, even if he wasn’t able to see it for himself. As the machine began to jolt and spark out of control, it suddenly erupted into a gigantic pillar of energy, blasting a gaping hole in Xemnas’ Kingdom Hearts, sending hearts raining down into the dark city.

At that point, Xemnas had fled yet again, but the masters of the Keyblade hadn’t finished with him yet. At the top of the floating castle, upon the Altar of Nought, the party confronts Xemnas one final time. In a last attempt to avoid conflict, he hopes to garner pity from the Keyblade wielders by lamenting the tragedy of nonexistence, and how he was never given any choice between living in light or in dark. The facade fails, however, and Xemnas quickly drops it. Then, flinging his hands to the sky, he teleports himself and Sora to a strange area resembling the space around Memory’s Skyscraper, where he confronts Sora himself for the second time.

When Sora is released from the strange dark zone, he and the others find themselves looking upwards at the decimated Kingdom Hearts, and Xemnas. In a final plea, Xemnas beseeches the Heart of All Men, speaking to it, asking it to lend him its power so as to eliminate the Keyblade wielders and complete it. He implores it to grant him the powers of the heart; those of rage, envy, and hatred. As the Superior disappeared in a brilliant flash of light, the worlds granted the party a doorway to him, behind which Xemnas in his full strength awaited. Through the doorway, Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Riku find themselves face-to-face with a gigantic dragon-like machine, inside which Xemnas lurked upon a throne of nothingness. They fight their way through the dragon-mech until they come to the head, where Xemnas, clad in kingly armor, calls all the powers of the deceased Organization to his aid. In the end, though, he is defeated, and the party is returned to the altar. As Xemnas apparently faded away, raving angrily about hatred and rage, Sora asks him why he lingered on such emotions, whether he remembered love or happiness. “Unfortunately,” he said, “I don’t…”

Yet even then, it was not the end; Xemnas returned with even more strength, his dragon-mech restored and empowered. For two more battles, he throws more and more at Sora and Riku, even attempting to dissuade them with remarks such as, “Riku, are you sure you’re not jealous of Sora?” After defeating Xemnas twice more, the three square off for a final confrontation in the realm of nothingness. There, Xemnas expends all of his resources in a final attempt to drag Sora and Riku into oblivion with him, but even then, he was still no match for the power of the Keyblade. He dissolves into complete nothingness there, the last of the Organization to die.

His Role in 358/2 Days:
Due to his position of authority over the Organization, we can definitely count on Xemnas playing a major role in the game. As to what that is, though, we can’t say for sure; from what we’ve seen of the game through leaked videos, Xemnas doesn’t play an active role in terms of the day-to-day basis of the Organization; he only seems to appear for special occasions. Who can really say what he’s doing with his time elsewhere? Only time will tell!
Just as all the other members of the Organization are, Xemnas is an optional playable character for use in mission replays and multiplayer. Players are able to utilize all of the Superior’s familiar abilities, including his lightsaber-esque Ethereal Blades for which he is famous. An interesting enough tidbit about his gameplay is that he is the only member of the Organization who doesn’t walk or run; rather, he levitates about in combat. And frankly, who wouldn’t want to fly around the battlefield with two red lightsabers?

What the Fans Think:

To many, Xemnas is easily the most interesting villain the series has seen yet, and is known throughout the fandom as the coldest and most manipulative, to boot. His flat, emotionless tone is considered by some to be a turn-off, yet is thought of by most to be fitting to his character, and at times chilling to listen to. There are also those who can't help but pity him, since he had neither emotions nor any memories of good ones, only hatred and rage.
There are a few, however, who can speak for the fanbase much better than myself; hear what forum members Memory Master and Leonard have to say about Xemnas:

Memory Master said:
Xemnas is the nobody of the main villain of the entire series. That is one reason why he is so cool. Unlike some of the other nobodies like Demyx and Axel, Xemnas does not pretend to have emotions. His emotionaless attitude gives us a good a idea of what it is really like to be a nobody.

Being the leader of the Organization means he has alot of authority and power, I find that to be greatly appealing.
Unlike the other members of the Organization, Xemnas did'nt really seem all that interested in getting a heart. He seemed more interested in the power of the heart itself. This gave him the aura of a manipulator, like the other members were only pawns to him. To me I think this backs up his role as the main villain.

For all of Xemnas' power and evil doing there is still a sad side to this character. In Kingdom Hearts 2 he kept going on about anger and hate. Xemnas even told Sora he did'nt remember from when he was known as Xehanort any emotions but anger and hate. Because of this it made him more of a lone wolf in the Organization so to me he seemed to be a tortured soul which I find sad.

For all of Xemnas' power and evil doing there is still a sad side to this character. In Kingdom Hearts 2 he kept going on about anger and hate. Xemnas even told Sora he did'nt remember from when he was known as Xehanort any emotions but anger and hate. Because of this it made him more of a lone wolf in the Organization so to me he seemed to be a tortured soul which I find sad.

Finally Xemnas has alot of mystery surrounding him. His past before becoming an apprentice to Ansem the wise is shrouded in mystery. Hopefully more of his past will be revealed in the upcoming game Birth by Sleep, but I hope we get some hints in 358/2 Days.

All in all Xemnas is an interesting character. Though he may be cruel and sinister I can't help but feel some sadness for this character. I can't wait to play as Xemnas and I hope we get a better look inside the mind of this amazing character.

Leonard said:
I remember the first time I came across videos of the first Final Mix on the internet. It was just after I finished the normal version of the game, when I was just a little kid who was obsessed with a franchise. What always amazed me most about the game, was it's gloomy and mysterious atmosphere. There's nothing better than standing outside in the dark, staring into the night sky in a quiet secluded place, and listening to the "Dive into the Heart" music from the soundtrack.

And then came along Final Mix, with it's massive Deep Dive teaser and probably the most epic boss battle to date, with "The Enigmatic Cloaked Figure", Xemnas. It was the tip of the iceberg. Though he was shrouded in mystery back then, it was obvious to me that he was a significant villain to the franchise. Which is not only because he's one of the hardest bosses in in it, but because of the power and skill that were shown in his attacks and movements. Everybody knew, this man would be the crucial link between Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2. The speculation and theorizing ran wild. He was the incarnation of the mystery that gave Kingdom Hearts it's "special feel".

Then, when Kingdom Hearts 2 came out, all the secrets around him were lifted. His significance was once again proven, through his leadership of the massive Organization XIII, his clashes with Ansem the Wise and his huge multi-phase final battle. Sadly though, it seems it wouldn't be enough to overcome Sora and Riku's joined power in the end.

Needless to say, Xemnas was a great villain to me from the beginning to the end. Although he lost some of his appeal when he decided to take his hood off in KH2' Hollow Bastion (unfortunately secrets are only enjoyable as long as they stay such), he proved himself as a powerful, intelligent and interesting enemy.

Conclusion:

All in all, Xemnas is undoubtedly one of the game’s most crucial characters, and is one players and fans should watch for carefully throughout the game. With the North American release so close at hand, that shouldn’t be too much longer!

Antiquity

Put on your courage and fly
Awards
yeah i wrote why i got excited for days quote but i really work hard on my xemnas quote damm feels like i was rejected the sad thing i think i was the first one to write the xemnas quote

Don't worry, I was kind of disappointed when my Luxord quote didn't get in. did you write a quote about why you are excited about Days? That will surely get in, since you spent so much time on your Xemnas quote and it was so good.

I sure the both of your guys' quotes would've been just as good. Better than the one I wrote, least it actually sounds like you worked for yours. You guys aren't the only ones at least.

Chaos

Hero of Lhant
damm i feel really disappointed right now i wish things can start over or something idk
well i'm glad its coming tomorrow hopefully i get it lol
edit: yeah your right antiquity me and xnairb aren't the only one

Xnairb

Website
theredsquirtle.blogspot.com
One thing I find funny is that this countdown is doing such an amazing job of summarizing what we know about each organization member so far, and yet after tomorrow, it will be out-dated lol

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I'm sure after the success of this, there will be many more opportunities for people to post their opinions on the front page.
And, remember, I'm still accepting quotes for the "Days in General" editorial.

Thanks guys for making this such a hit!

Xnairb

Website
It was all you Raz, you came up with it and put it in motion =D
Here is my quote again for the "Days in General" editorial, since its sooooooo far back now

I know that 358/2 Days is going to be amazing! Personally, I just can't wait to play against my friends without a stupid card battle system. Also, it will be so much fun playing as the members of Organization XIII, and I think I speak for everyone when I say I was sad to see the Organization leave. This is a great chance to dive deeper into the meaning of the Organization. Not to mention it is the first Kingdom Hearts game in four years! I am a bit worried for this site for the next month or so, because everyone on this site will be directing all of their attention to this game!

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Thanks. Would you mind telling me what page the others were on?

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
I'm happy my quote was used, thank you.

But I would like to extend an act of good sportsmanship in saying all of us Xemnas fans did a great job in describing this amazing villain.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I'm excited for 358/2 Days because I hope we get to see the Organization as people and not just villains. We will finally get to see more of who each is as individuals and this for me is exciting. I find the organization to be some of the most interesting villians in video game history so I am excited to see the inner workings of this group.

I'm excited for 358 because of Org involvement, the multiplayer looks fun, the story should be interesting at least, and it's Wayne Allwine's last turn as Mickey Mouse.

I really want to see what happens in the story, because the game wasn't very interesting when first announced... theeeeeen they started showing all of those weird scenes, from Zexion talking to Riku while Roxas is blatantly standing right THERE to Axel talking to Xion and about to fight. From there on, it was a big WTF moment because you can't figure out what was going on. I seriously want to find out about this story! Plus, fighting as a booknerd and pwning stupid Heartless and other characters with a giant book sounds awesome. :D

I'm excited for Days because Organization XIII has my fav characters in the game, and playing as someone different for a change will be fun! I'm excited for all the different attacks and interchangeable weapons each member has, and the unique fighting styles! Plus the storyline is good imo, and the graphics are amazing for DS!

The reason I'm so excited for days is because of multi-player and plus a chance play different people. I want to see if this game will answer my un answer questions. I can't wait to see the amazing scenes and also the way the battle system feels(since its on ds). I'm hoping this game won't disappoint me on the difficulty and also I hope its fun and not annoying. Why am I even saying that heck its a KH game I knows its going to BE GREAT!!!!!!!! Plus since DAYS is coming out we get this amazing countdown ain't it great it feels like Christmas came early.

I'm excited for Days first and foremost because it's been a few years since the last installment in the series that isn't a remake or a Final Mix. I'm very excited to be able to play as the various members of the Organization, as well as just finding more about them individually. Watching the interesting roles they brought out in CoM and KH2 be expanded is something any KH will want to see. Lastly, as this is the first KH title for the Nintendo DS, I'm curious to see how the controls and the battle system will feel on a system other than PS2 (This not counting CoM, which utilized a different battle system). I simply can't wait!

I'm excited for Days because it's a new experience. We get to see sides of the Organization we never saw before. Like, who knew there was secretly a 14th member? What kind of things did the Organization do when they weren't dealing with Sora? Why did Roxas fight Riku? All these questions can be answered when the English speaking crowd can get their hands on this game. And we get to play with the Organization members themselves. Awesome!

here's my quote for 358/2 Days

I know that 358/2 Days is going to be amazing! Personally, I just can't wait to play against my friends without a stupid card battle system. Also, it will be so much fun playing as the members of Organization XIII, and I think I speak for everyone when I say I was sad to see the Organization leave. This is a great chance to dive deeper into the meaning of the Organization. Not to mention it is the first Kingdom Hearts game in four years! I am a bit worried for this site for the next month or so, because everyone on this site will be directing all of their attention to this game!

I'm excited for 358/2 Days for a number of reasons. First of all it will help make the story more complete to me. In Kingdom Hearts 2 I couldn't help but feel I was missed something. They kept referring to past events that I wish I could just see so I could get a feel for it. Thankfully this is just the game I was looking for and will hopefully help fill in the gaps between the story. Also like many people I'm looking forward to the multiplayer. If I'm able to find someone with the game we could team up playing as different characters that are unique in their own way with their own abilities and weapons beating on the heartless and bosses. I love co-op games like that. But although those are great reasons to want the game, I have 2 main reasons that seal the deal:
1. You get to play as Vexen and Luxord, my 2 favorite characters. Showing off to my friends in multiplayer freezing enemies and slashing giant cards around is just awesome and the graphics help improve the experience with great character and weapon models.
2. And most importantly of all, It's a Kingdom Hearts game, and I don't mean by the title. It has all the makings of a Kingdom Hearts game and gives you the experience of it. You'll be fighting heartless while orchestral music plays exploring different Disney worlds. It's all there. One might argue that this might be a bad thing because not much has changed, but why change something that's already this great?

Thank you everyone!

I know that this is a KH forum and everything, but how can you all be this excited over a game that is a spin-off. I don't even plan on buying the game, I just don't really see the big deal to have a countdown thread. I mean, I don't even think that FXIII is going to have a count down thread let alone need one. It will be way bigger than this games release.

I didn't respond to this before because I didn't see it. But now that I have, I feel like I've got to respond:

First of all, no Kingdom Hearts game thus far has been a spin-off. Now that that's out of the way--
Everybody likes different things. 358/2 Days is what gives us our jollies. You may not be all that enthralled, but we are. This is a Kingdom Hearts forums first and foremost, so of course we'd have a countdown for a future installment. It has nothing to do with how big the game is compared to others.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Thank you everyone!

I didn't respond to this before because I didn't see it. But now that I have, I feel like I've got to respond:

First of all, no Kingdom Hearts game thus far has been a spin-off. Now that that's out of the way--
Everybody likes different things. 358/2 Days is what gives us our jollies. You may not be all that enthralled, but we are. This is a Kingdom Hearts forums first and foremost, so of course we'd have a countdown for a future installment. It has nothing to do with how big the game is compared to others.

I agree, so does this mean you guys had something in mind for a BBS countdown?

Chaos

Hero of Lhant
if they do a bbs countdown i so participated in it heck i hope i can get my quote in it posted in the first page
hey raz are the why are you excited quotes going to the front page and when are they

Xnairb

Website
I agree, so does this mean you guys had something in mind for a BBS countdown?

Well, wouldn't that be kind of hard since it has completely different characters that we know nothing about?

hey raz are the why are you excited quotes going to the front page and when are they

they will be up tomorrow, with the whole "ZOMG DAYS IS OUT!!!!1" thing that will be on the front page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back