• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Sororities and legal issues?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

iLeen

Awards
Hey KHI folks!

This isn't actually my issue, but a friend's, and I wish to help her.

She joined a sorority and has been part of it for a year or so (this is including pledging or whatever it is they do), and she's finally quitting because of mistreatment.

1. They hazed her. BIG TIME. Some girls cried, some had to vomit, and this is definitely a breach upon the law.
2. They verbally assault her.
3. They "physically" assaulted her. They kicked her, because they don't like her (and the reason why I think they don't like her is because they're just immature college students and she's pretty nice and usually takes things in without retaliating, so she just doesn't fit their group, but that's just my guess, and her only reason for joining a sorority was to make more friends since she's from out of state attending a community college)
4. They forced her to drink when she was underage.
5. They were literally stealing from her pocket. I was wondering why they were giving her a hard time and making her pay for the majority of things compared to the other so-called "sisters," and she found out from her Big Sister that they were trying to get her to quit by treating her badly because they "already got her money." (this made me extremely upset and set on getting them to pay her back all that they took from her) And there's another thing: almost all of them have rich parents and can thus pay for whatever it is they need to pay for through their parents, but SHE pays out from her own hard-earned money because she actually has a JOB. This was a reason why we could never go out and just hung out at homes because she had no extra money to spend since she's paying for rental, school, and this unprofessional sorority.

I was wondering if it is still possible to bring this up to the police, because I'm pretty sure they can go to jail for breaching terms of agreement and, even worse, the law. Or is it too late to bring it up since it's been a while since they hazed her and all the other mistreatments are scattered on various days.

I was planning on going with her when she tells the group that she's quitting so I can bring up all these things they've done and ask that they can compensate for all the money they took from her. I'm not sure it'll work, but I think they should at least return her money. Is this a good approach or should I try something different?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Bring it up with the police immediately. She can say she didn't report it earlier because she was scared or because she wasn't sure if it was actually illegal but she should definitely report it.

Even if something isn't done for her, the sorority will get in trouble and the school will at least keep a closer eye on them so this won't happen in the future.

It's also be more beneficial if she were able to get some of the other girls who were hazed to report it with her, if that's at all possible.

iLeen

Awards
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll definitely go to the police and report this.

I have a feeling that the other girls won't report for the hazing because they feel "close" to one another, so they don't want to rat their "sisters" out. It was just my friend they were ostracizing, so I doubt they'd want to do anything with her, including reporting to the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back