• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora's Voice

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALittleNerd

Saw the new 2.8 trailer, and it's... alright. But am I the only one concerned about Haley Joel Osment's performance as Sora? Like his acting in DDD was just off, and in the new trailer just now, "I'm back!" It doesn't sound right to me. Like he's trying way too hard to sound like KH2 Sora when his voice has changed since.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah it sounded kind of hammy. Hoping it was a bad cut tbh xD

They need to just tell HJO "okay, just use your natural voice"

Muke

whatever
Awards
Yeah it sounded kind of hammy. Hoping it was a bad cut tbh xD

They need to just tell HJO "okay, just use your natural voice"
Yeah, this! In DDD it's not even his fault imo, it's just that he always has to try and sound young

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
He did have it rough, he had to voice KH1-ish Sora a bunch of times even in later years, so maybe that's an habit now?
I like him more as Vanitas regardless.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
honestly, i kind of feel like a phrase like "i'm baaack!" is going to sound iffy no matter what lol

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Haley's voice still sounded more natural compared to the other english voices in the trailer in my opinion

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I still think he just sounds too old for Sora at this point but...I dunno, he just IS Sora to me >:

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I love how every new KH game trailer that features a Sora voice always triggers this kinda thread.

That being said, I've always been here and there with HJO as Sora post-KH2, but that is because they make him try to sound much younger than he is.

His Vanitas voice is pretty fly tho

blank points

Awards
I wouldn't worry too much about Sora's voice. It will probably sound just fine in the actual game. I think the main problem is that the trailers never seem to present the English voices that well. I think this mostly on account of the awkward sound editing the trailers tend to use. Hearing the voices in context, they tend to sound much better. Granted, the series has never had the greatest voice direction either, so that plays part to.

DefiantHeart

Awards
Meh, it did sound a bit odd, but like everyone has said here... dude's been having to keep up with the constant age regression/progression Sora. I'd imagine thash pretty hard to do, especially since he's the only one whom has to, lol. XD

sonickenshin

Awards
His voice is ridiculously deep now that he kind of has to play it like this in order for it to fit. It's pretty awkward though. Pretty tough, too, especially with his voice. Either way, he's stuck as Sora. -shrug-

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Considering that HJO's Vanitas voice is basically his normal speaking voice, I'm amazed he can still sound like KH2 Sora after all these years. I agree with Audo in that I don't think it's HJO so much as the line is just cheesy to begin with. You know how a good actor can perform like shit if you give them a shitty role? Give a VO an awkward line, you get an awkward recording.

Besides, I thought his "Heheheh, secret!" sounded like it came straight out of KH2. HJO can still pull off that 2006-era Sora voice ten years later.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I feel like people shouldn't criticize HJO for something that isn't even his fault, but the fault of the Voice Directors (or whoever takes care of that stuff)

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I understand how the nostalgia many people experience from his KH2 voice, and how he REALLY sounds off attempting to sound younger, but I... just cannot care. I always hear HJO's younger self in his current tone, even in BBS, so it doesn't really matter to me, honestly.

I feel like people shouldn't criticize HJO for something that isn't even his fault, but the fault of the Voice Directors (or whoever takes care of that stuff)
This. It's not that big of deal to me, anyway.

Last edited:

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
The worse he sounds as Sora the better he'll sound as Vanitas so I can't even mind.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Something I've always wondered about JP VA's vs dubbers from other countries (specifically English). Why do they seem more skilled in making themselves sound younger or older on a whim? Try as HJO might, he'll never be able to emulate younger Sora ever again.

Then I start to wonder why they can't just have him change his voice a LITTLE bit and then enhance it with some kind of program. Surely they have professionals on-board who can convincingly adjust the pitch enough not to sound strange and out of place while saving HJO's throat likely.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
since we talking about sora let talk kairi voice as well

who do you think is voicing or beloved princess of heart kairi in 2.8 hayden or alyson?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back