• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora's Story vs Riku's Story

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Storywise, they're both excellent... as long as you're not in the card worlds. Overall, I liked Riku's story better, but for the card worlds, Sora wins by default because there WAS a story.

Gameplay-wise, spamming sleights and going into Dark Mode were ok. Other than that, both sides can go straight to hell.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Storywise, they're both excellent... as long as you're not in the card worlds. Overall, I liked Riku's story better, but for the card worlds, Sora wins by default because there WAS a story.

Gameplay-wise, spamming sleights and going into Dark Mode were ok. Other than that, both sides can go straight to hell.

Lol sounds like you weren't a big fan of the gameplay.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Riku's. Story was great and I liked that I didn't have to bother coming up with decks and could just play more or less.

Ree

Sora's story KILLS Riku's story. also the card system is less annoying in Riku's but at the same time it doesnt have the customization options.

redcrown

Awards
Riku's was definitely better. I didn't have to bother with the stupid card system even nearly as much, Riku's cutscenes didn't repeat themselves and be about the same things like Sora, and it was mercifully half as long. Not saying Sora's story was bad at all, but some of the scenes have them talk about the same things into repetition and basically be the same cutscene as the one previously. It could have used some trimming.

The only downside to Riku's story was the missed opportunity to have stories and interactions with his memories in the card worlds he visited. It would have been a great chance to see more of what he was up to in KH1. But it was given some dumb reason to not happen so the writers didn't have to bother with writing more plots.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't know... I liked them both, tbh, but I guess I'll go with Sora's. Outside of the Disney worlds being filler (although mostly well-written, imo), I loved his interactions with Jiminy, D&G, plus Vexen and Larxene were fantastic villains.

I enjoy how fast Riku's story goes, but some of it feels stringed out, Lexaeus and Zexion aren't that interesting, and there's this feeling of emptiness when I play his story--the same feeling I get when playing BbS. Plus, like redcrown mentions, there's a lot of missed opportunity with Riku's story as far as the Disney worlds go. It's worth it for him and Mickey becoming BFFs though. lol

I like the gameplay in both, but my preference was for more control, like in Sora's story. Dark Mode got on my nerves, especially early on when you don't have many DP, and I hated that you had very few attacks to choose among. It made things more repetitive and exhausting.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I like the entire story of CoM a lot, but I just hate the gameplay. I'm not saying it's necessarily the worst gameplay of all KH games, but I just personally don't like it at. all. Good thing the cutscenes are available on youtube and the manga is pretty great, and I guess I liked Sora's story more. They're both good though.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Sora's story is dope. I only really hated the 14 different Sora arguing with Repliku cut-scene. The Namine/Sora stuff was some of my favorite things of the series.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I prefered Riku's story, but ugh. I prefer choosing my cards, so gameplay-wise, I prefered playing as Sora.

Blue Firework

Awards
When I played COM, I preferred Riku's story. But after playing Re:COM multiple times, I prefer Sora's. It's nice to have a story that doesn't have Ansem or isn't obsessed with the darkness and the light. Riku's story get boring because there isn't story in the Disney worlds and you can't customize your cards. Basically you enter a world and just fight room after room of heartless without a break. At least with Sora you change up your gameplay, and experience a little story.

redcrown

Awards
When I played COM, I preferred Riku's story. But after playing Re:COM multiple times, I prefer Sora's. It's nice to have a story that doesn't have Ansem or isn't obsessed with the darkness and the light. Riku's story get boring because there isn't story in the Disney worlds and you can't customize your cards. Basically you enter a world and just fight room after room of heartless without a break. At least with Sora you change up your gameplay, and experience a little story.

I would really blame the worlds not having stories in Riku's side. I get the point that his side of the story was supposed to feel empty and lonely reflecting his heart and place at the time, but it did get ridiculous with long stretches of absolutely nothing except boring Zexion and Lexaeus conversation scenes. His story doesn't really pick up and get interesting until after you finish the 10 Disney worlds. But everything after that was good storytelling and character drama.

You could really blame the writers for cramming most of his story towards the end of his game. And being too lazy to write relevant world stories involving his memories of KH1. They put so much effort and time into Sora's story that they forgot/didn't bother to balance it and add at least a little more material and body Riku's side.

I personally liked not having to bother with customizing cards, it was less to worry about and deal with. I hated the whole card system but at least in Riku's side of the game it's mostly set up for you and easy to use. I could never figure out how to customize the decks anyway.

Last edited:

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I prefered Riku's story, but ugh. I prefer choosing my cards, so gameplay-wise, I prefered playing as Sora.
^THIS. So much this.

Riku's story was better than Sora's in my opinion since it was about redemption and not constantly falling into the Organization's traps like in Sora's Story. Plus those Sora/Repliku moments REALLY did sound like a lover's quarrel.

Gamplay-wise belongs to Sora. Riku's is cool at the beginning but grows dull late game since he was handed everything after the first level. Plus, its BORING grinding to 99 with this guy. Sora at least has more variety and can actually learn new techniques.

PeaceLoveArt

I liked sora story better since they are better interactions with his memories and the worlds and how at times they are connected. Where in Riku's story you don't get that chance that much honestly. And I like leveling up and learning new techniques in sora's story than riku. I kind of felt more interaction with sora's story than riku's story.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I actually liked Riku because I didn't have to worry about cards. lol

Okay, sometimes it might be "easier" that you don't have to change stuff yourself. But I remember I chose Monstro at a poor level and it was incredible hard because my cards sucked so much balls. It was really annoying. At least with Sora, you could kind of "grind" cards in chests etc and become powerful, but for Riku, you could only level up and hope the cards in the world don't suck. :(

Anagram

Banned
Okay, sometimes it might be "easier" that you don't have to change stuff yourself. But I remember I chose Monstro at a poor level and it was incredible hard because my cards sucked so much balls. It was really annoying. At least with Sora, you could kind of "grind" cards in chests etc and become powerful, but for Riku, you could only level up and hope the cards in the world don't suck. :(
It's not about easier but less aggravation. Sora's side is fun now and then but I get tired of micromanaging three decks. I dont think the system is bad it's just not my preference before someone tries to jump on and make this a "the card system sucks!" instigation.

I didnt' mind Riku nor found his cards hard. Some decks sucked more than others but he had unlimited enemy cards so all I had to do was figure out which worked best for me.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
It's not about easier but less aggravation. Sora's side is fun now and then but I get tired of micromanaging three decks. I dont think the system is bad it's just not my preference before someone tries to jump on and make this a "the card system sucks!" instigation.

I didnt' mind Riku nor found his cards hard. Some decks sucked more than others but he had unlimited enemy cards so all I had to do was figure out which worked best for me.

True but Riku's gameplay still had some faults/concerns:
A. He could only heal with King Mickey/ No Cure Commands
B. No Treasure Chests/Moogle Shops.
C. He is given all of his moves at the beginning.

I know that the these gameplay mechanics were made because Riku's story wasn't designed to be as long as Sora's but I still have gripes about them. I mean can you honestly say that Riku's gameplay is fun when level grinding to 99?

Anagram

Banned
True but Riku's gameplay still had some faults/concerns:
A. He could only heal with King Mickey/ No Cure Commands
B. No Treasure Chests/Moogle Shops.
C. He is given all of his moves at the beginning.

I know that the these gameplay mechanics were made because Riku's story wasn't designed to be as long as Sora's but I still have gripes about them. I mean can you honestly say that Riku's gameplay is fun when level grinding to 99?
lmao I'm not completionist so I never level ground to 99 so that's not a concern of mine. I know I can beat the game about 55 or 60 safely so that's all I shoot for.

As for them being faults that's honestly more subjective than fact. He couldn't have moogle rooms or treasure rooms because his deck was automated and his moves and cures were limited for a reason. It was meant to be a challenge. If you find them faults just because they add difficulty then I'm not sure what to say about that.

With this kinda thinking you could say even Sora's had "faults/concerns" because of just how easily you could make his deck break the game with things like megaflare, lethal frame or even just an attack deck of nothing but high level neutral keyblade cards a few cures optional potions and zero cards. Or you could add it's a fault it takes so long for Sora to get decent moves. Etc.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
If you're only focused on the story, you can usually beat with Riku below level 20 on the highest difficulty. I never used more than one deck for Sora though; I just changed it as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back