• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

sora or riku?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

sora or riku?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Okay, so, I'm bored.

Simply put: do you like Sora or Riku's side of the story better in Re:CoM (CoM)?

There'ss no "both" option cause that'd be to freakin' easy >:D

Now, state, discuss, argue, and most of all, amuse me.

Last edited:

Malisteen

For gameplay? Riku. Fast counter is annoying, but nowhere near as annoying as grinding for moogle points and hassling over your deck. Riku doesn't have to do those things, so for me Riku > Sora.

For story? Sora. Meeting Namine, plus the OXIII members he deals with in CoM are more entertaining & memorable. The whole Axel double-un-betrayal angle is great. As opposed to Riku's story, which has a little too much, uh, of this:

Ansem: "Dark the Darker Darkness Dark Dark Darkness Dark."
Mickey: "No, Riku, Light Heart the Light Heart Light Light Always!"
Riku: "Dark Light Heart the Darkness Light? Never!"

Not that Sora's story doesn't suffer from some of that, all stories in all KH games do, but not as much, and he has more and more varied other stuff going on.

In the end I picked Riku. As much as I liked Sora's story better, I hated grinding for moogle points. Just hated it.

Fractured_Heart628

Bronze Member
I never finished Com, because I got stuck on Sora's story with the Riku Replica fight before fighting Larxene for the last time. I hated the story, because it took too long and it seemed like the bosses were too hard and choosing to level up with either Sleights, CPS, or Cards. But, Riku's story seemed more interesting to me, because you didn't have to do as much with it as Sora's. So, I pick Riku.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
For gameplay? Riku. Fast counter is annoying, but nowhere near as annoying as grinding for moogle points and hassling over your deck. Riku doesn't have to do those things, so for me Riku > Sora.

For story? Sora. Meeting Namine, plus the OXIII members he deals with in CoM are more entertaining & memorable. The whole Axel double-un-betrayal angle is great. As opposed to Riku's story, which has a little too much, uh, of this:

Not that Sora's story doesn't suffer from some of that, all stories in all KH games do, but not as much, and he has more and more varied other stuff going on.

In the end I picked Riku. As much as I liked Sora's story better, I hated grinding for moogle points. Just hated it.

I agree I felt the same way. Riku's story was boring as hell. Finishing his worlds were like a chore since none of the worlds had a story except for Hollow bastion, Twilght Town, and Destiny islands. Like how Malisteen said that's basically the whole point of Riku's story. But his gameplay was so much better than sora's since i hated making your deck in sora's story.

Awards
Riku's gameplay is boring compared to Sora's because it doesn't offer enough customization.

What little there is of Riku's story I consider better in quality than Sora's, because I thought his path to redemption was well done and it introduced the notion that darkness isn't necessarily bad. However, there's hardly any story there, so in some respects I found Sora's story to be more enjoyable.

And yet Sora's story really drags its feet for quite some time (pretty much every Kingdom Hearts game has this issue). There are points where we only receive tidbits of information between floors without anything really happening, and then there's the fact that you continually fight Repliku with nothing being resolved. Only after Vexen dies does it pick up, which is unsurprising given that it's close to the end of the game.
But at least, as filler-like and contrived as they were, Sora had Disney stories, while Riku really had no known reason to go through some of the worlds that he did. They really should have had stories in the Disney worlds for Riku, it would have been interesting to see what his role was in them.

So, overall, the story side is a toss up for me. I guess that makes Sora's side of the game better for me, since I enjoyed the gameplay more.

Gram

Banned
Awards
What little there is of Riku's story I consider better in quality than Sora's, because I thought his path to redemption was well done and it introduced the notion that darkness isn't necessarily bad. However, there's hardly any story there, so in some respects I found Sora's story to be more enjoyable.
i actually riku more enjoyable for the reasons you mentioned over soras. wheni play as sora all i do is skip the card world scenes anyway.

this^ most defiantly, i hated hassling with sora's deck the only downside i see in rikus gameplay is he doesnt have any area affect sleights like sora.
(i.e tornado for exapmle)

I never finished Com, because I got stuck on Sora's story with the Riku Replica fight before fighting Larxene for the last time. I hated the story, because it took too long and it seemed like the bosses were too hard and choosing to level up with either Sleights, CPS, or Cards. But, Riku's story seemed more interesting to me, because you didn't have to do as much with it as Sora's. So, I pick Riku.
uhh i hate repliku.
but you should really finish b4 deciding you might like sora if you get past that point.

Malisteen

He's not that bad in re:CoM on the PS2. Like most bosses, you can just spam Sonic Blade on him and he won't do anything, even if he's sitting on a 0. Much harder in the original GBA version, where he'll gladly shut you up if you try anything like that.

Gram

Banned
Awards
He's not that bad in re:CoM on the PS2. Like most bosses, you can just spam Sonic Blade on him and he won't do anything, even if he's sitting on a 0. Much harder in the original GBA version, where he'll gladly shut you up if you try anything like that.

i prefer using lethal flame on him.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
I went with Riku. As much as I liked the idea they were going for in Sora's story...it didn't really cling to me as much as Riku's did. What I liked about Sora's story though was that he seemed to have grown a pair somehow, like he's more mature (of course Kh2 totally throws this out the window). I also found Marluxia intriguing...but then I got bored.

Riku's story was the path of redemption that I enjoyed, plus you didn't have to moogle grind -shivers- What would have made Riku's story perfect is if they actually threw some plot into the Disney worlds for him. That would have been enjoyable or interesting at least.

But I think I favored CoM over Re:CoM majorly. CoM was a challenge and the bosses were a bitch. They were all a joke in Re:CoM. Do you know how long it took me to beat Repliku for the last time!? Lol it wasn't easy but then again I wasn't taking the game seriously.

bottom line. Riku over Sora. Better gameplay imo (Sora would have been up there if I didn't have to moogle/CP grind so much). Sora had a better concept with story but it was poorly paced. How about they remake just Reverse Rebirth and give Riku some plot in his disney worlds lol

luna1017

Trying to reach the Second Star to the Right.
In terms of gameplay, Sora. He gets all these cool cards and your decks are customizable. I never liked equipping all enemy cards. Especially during boss battles which is why I prefer Sora.
In terms of storyline, still Sora. Going through worlds with Riku was boring. It's just fight heartless, fight more heartless, beat the boss then move on to the next floor. Sora's on the other hand, had stories that although were just repeats of the first game with a few differences, were still interesting and fun.

Then there was a lot of confusion in Sora's story. Who's Namine? Why is Riku fighting me? What do they want with me? Why am I losing memories? Then when those questions get answered, the drama begins. Axel betrays them, you find out about Namine, you find out that the Riku you've been fighting is just a replica, and you find out what the Organization wants with you. Then you fight Marluxia, beat him then choose your old memories over your memories in Castle Oblivion. Then the ending's really bittersweet.

Riku's was just fighting. Darkness. No! Give in to darkness. Never! Organization XIII. Ansem! Then he defeats Ansem. Riku's story outside the card worlds was interesting. But not as interesting as Sora's.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
Then there was a lot of confusion in Sora's story. Who's Namine? Why is Riku fighting me? What do they want with me? Why am I losing memories? Then when those questions get answered, the drama begins. Axel betrays them, you find out about Namine, you find out that the Riku you've been fighting is just a replica, and you find out what the Organization wants with you. Then you fight Marluxia, beat him then choose your old memories over your memories in Castle Oblivion. Then the ending's really bittersweet. .
this is why i chose sora's story over riku's. all that twists and conflicts did it for me.

and for gameplay; riku. though there was definitely less customization, i still can't believe i was playing as riku. rare occasions are special no

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY
Sora. More cuztimization and overall better plot.

A

alice0313

I vote for Riku. I enjoyed the play using him than used Sora. Guess Sora was used in every Kingdom Hearts. :| Or at least that IMO.

Wahm-bulence

THIS. Is going in my signature.

Hmmm, It's hard to explain, but I like and dislike each story for the same reason.
Sora's deck was changable, and you could upgrade it and stuff, but with Riku at least you didn't have to worry about it. I vote Sora, just because sometimes Riku's deck sucked.
And for the story, Sora's was better and more detailed, but I liked the fact that Riku's was really simple, because by then I was already pretty bored of the game anyway... Meh, I vote Sora, because if it was JUST Riku's game, it would've been really boring.

Reika

"Together... always."
Awards
Website
blayzes.deviantart.com
Tough choice. The acting and story on Riku's playthrough is absolutely superb. Meanwhile, I'm a sucker for the SoKaiNami thing, and that adorable good luck charm (I even made an IRL replica). xD
Plus, I prefer Sora's gameplay; I love collecting the cards, and although the different worlds were just KH1 rehashes, they still broke up the monotony of going from room to room and defeating the Heartless in each world.
I'm going to have to say Sora, but Riku's is an extremely close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back