• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora from Kingdom Hearts announced as a new DLC fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Thanks for your detailed thesis on the game. XD

I can see the appeal, but as you mentioned it is a what-if scenario and for me, the non-canonicity of it is what always kept me away. There is no story justification as to why they are meeting and fighting (am I mistaken? is there a story? I genuinely do not know).

i would totally be on board if characters would talk to each other and there would be some basic plot that could explain the reasons for their presence in each universe.

I am sure I would have a lot of fun for like 8 hours, but then, it would become super repetitive. I can hardly see a scenario where I would play this game for 50 hours without blinking.

I don't think this sort of games are for me, but I can clearly see the appeal and I am happy that Sora got in it. :)
Smash is its own universe lore wise. Think of it like how KH is a separate continuity from the Disney films & FF games. It's not the same Cloud, not the same Peter Pan, not the same Aladdin. Nothing that happens in KH is ever going to effect any potential sequels that of those films may ever get. (hell, Monsters at Work has already contradicted the Montropolis world in KH3). If you're fine with KH being like this, why should SSB be any different?

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
And now I am tempted to try. Your passion transcended my close minded spirit, haha.
My wallet doesn't thank you. :LOL:
Well that's awesome, man! I really hope you end up having fun and enjoying it!

Like I said, Smash Brothers Brawl was the highlight of the series from a story perspective in my opinion, that one was for Wii. I don't know if you have access to that or not, but I wanted to throw that info out there.

Otherwise though, I don't think it would be a bad call at all to give Smash Brothers Ultimate a go instead should Brawl's accessibility be an issue. Plus with Ultimate being the current iteration, you of course get the multiplayer aspects if that's something you're interested in, you get the full roster of characters (which is quite impressive, hard to imagine them ever topping Ultimate's roster), and it does still have a story mode, albeit much lighter than Brawl's in terms of cutscenes and character interaction, but it instead has more diverse battles.

It depends on what you're looking for most here, the battle variety or the character interactions, but either way I think both are solid games!

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't think this sort of games are for me, but I can clearly see the appeal and I am happy that Sora got in it. :)
I would be interested in a fighting game that was based on KH itself, using a mixture of original, Disney, and FF characters for the roster. I do know some of the characters involved in Smash, just as far as basic brand icons from when I was growing up (Kirby, Mario, Zelda, etc.), the same way I know most of the cereal logo characters. They were games everyone had played in some capacity back in the '90s. I'm not attached to any of them though. Hopefully negotiations over this could make Disney more agreeable to the idea of a KH fighting game in the future.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
who wants to get walled when this man Sora comes out? I promise I will take you straight to the blast zone like "We'll go together"

Awards
Story wise Smash isn't super intense (usually). Brawl attempted to craft a story mode that involved all the dimensions being raided by an evil entity trying to destroy everything.

But the major thing I've seen in every game is this theme that the fighters aren't the literal actual characters themselves. In the original game on the N64, Mario and such were toys pulled from a toy box that these "hands" played with, like a child exacting their fantasies. This continues as a sort of metaphor throughout the series, as fighters seem to revert to Trophies (think Amiibo), either at the hands of an enemy or due to the "flame' going out in Ultimate's Sora trailer. One could argue that each game represents a stage in the life of someone who owns a bunch of toys of their favorite characters, and how they come up with new scenarios and fantasies with those throughout their life, eventually moving on but having given said toys a bit of soul on the process. It's hard to describe, bit there's a sort of beauty in it.

It isn't for everyone. I can say that if you don't play games with friends, it wouldn't be as appealing. But it is pretty much the perfect couch coop game. I spent a very long time playing through Brawl with my brother and two stepsiblings. We'd fight each other to settle disputes, see who had to do chores, etc. We'd cooperate to unlock all the fighters and collectibles, a d we'd imagine who else they could possibly add to the game in a later installment. Smash is a party fighting game first and foremost.
Hit the nail on the head right here.

And yeah, Brawl is really the only game in the series to actually give it a story. We coulda had a story for 4 and a full one for Ult, but Sakurai apparently didn't like that Subspace Emissary's cutscenes were uploaded onto the internet and thus he kinda ditched the story/adventure mode aspect for 4.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I'm vastly more satisfied with high budget trailers over high budget cutscenes. The trailers really seem to represent the excitement of a character joining Smash more than anything else ever could. Smash 4 and Ultimate have been truly joyful in that regard, ever since Mega Man's reveal.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I thought of another cute reason Sora's inclusion is a perfect capstone to the Smash Bros. series so far as a whole.

It connects to my earlier assessment of the toys metaphor storyline. In Smash 64 the characters were toys a pair of hands played with. Melee expanded on the roster some more as the child's interests grew Brawl would be the child growing up a bit and getting more elaborate with their fantasies. Wii U/3DS would be getting into adult life and their lives being "split" between work and their interests. Ultimate would be the grand culmination of a life's work, maybe at a much older age when you reminiscence about all the good times.

At the end, the fire fades, and the toys go back to just being toys. Only a small spark remains as the toy box lid is closed overhead, throwing them all in darkness. That small light is a key, and who should find the toy box but Sora, who would be a new kid with a new interest in playing with these toys.

Sora is a representation of a new generation taking on the fun that a previous one had. The key Mario picks up brings him in, and he brings the toys some new soul.

Kind of cute, right? Well what if I told you that the child who originally owned the toys, who had grown up giving the soul and stories and adding more and more, was Sakurai himself, maker of Smash Bros.?

If Sakurai retires after this one then this would be a very lovely way of seeing the Smash Bros. games. In my opinion at least.

Barrett

Awards
With the way they designed Sora and his alts in Smash, now I really wanna see how KH1!Riku and KH1!Kairi would look like in their KH2 and KH3 outfits, as well as how they'd look like in Timeless River.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Salt in the wound:

5amh618zt7t71.jpg

v6alpn8zt7t71.jpg

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Not everyone is worthy to wield the keyblade. Just Sora.

Mr_G%26W_Key.png

& Mr. Game & Watch

maxresdefault.jpg

Sm64key.png

& Mario

hDNIihC.jpg

& Ganondorf.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Yooo Valor form using magic? Immersion ruined, preorder cancelled. BRB making a Twitter Tread why this is the worst thing done in gaming.
He doesn't even have a 2nd keyblade!

Barrett

Awards
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back