• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora descending, Riku ascending

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
This is kinda of similar thread that I made about The 3D version of TWTNW, but.. uh.. different. There is really one particular thing about the structure of the level, which I wanna point out.

So in TWTNW, we learn that Riku starts from the dream, and is trying to wake up from it, and finally manages to surface into the real world. Sora in the other hand, starts from the real world, is then put to sleep, and is falling deeper and deeper into the abyss. I really like how with the design of the level the managed to drive this point home.

Riku is climbing up The Castle That Never Was, and the feeling I got form it is that with Riku I am trying to ascend away from the dreams. It also really cool how high we get to climb the castle, and looking it gives an idea how massive the place really is.

With Sora it is the complete opposite. While Sora is not always going down, there is an descending feeling when you play as him. The more you travel, the more the world start to look disoriented, and the dreamy/nightmare feel builds up. It is like you are descending to madness or something like that. Really, really good level design in my opinion.

Also the incorporated the Reality Shifts in this as well. Sora`s reality shift is called Nightmares End, and Riku`s is Mirage Split.
It also connects to the title art, and to the theme/main point of the game: "Darkness becomes light, Light falls to Darkness."

Did anyone feel the same when playing DDD?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Yeah, I'm willing to bet that they did this on purpose. Funny how the boxart can contain that much spoiler-ish foreshadowing. Also could symbolize Riku's ascent to Keyblade Master, while Sora, on the other hand, didn't. (Yeah, due to circumstances that were mostly out of control. That's always gonna bother me.)

Something else I noticed: Throughout the game, in every single world, there was always a scene where Sora gets knocked out by something. Riku didn't get KO'd in cutscenes that often, only at the beginning of the game and at TWTNW if you tried to fight the final bosses while Sora was still active. It could be me overthinking things... or not.

Anagram

Banned
Wait. I thought Sora was in the dream world while Riku was in Soras dreams of those worlds? Which is the drop system. Yea know, while Sora is moving Riku sleeps but while Sora sleeps Rikus is traveling the dreams he's having.

I swear Nomura got high and watched Inception before planning this game.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Wait. I thought Sora was in the dream world while Riku was in Soras dreams of those worlds?

Yeah. I was just generally speaking about the dream feeling, and about how everything gets more dreamy and weird when Sora dives further into the abyss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back