• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Road ► Soo...about Dark Road....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

AR829038

Awards
So, it's currently the middle of May 2020, and to my recollection, we are supposed to be getting Dark Road released sometime this month. But it seems there's been zero marketing or lead-in to the release. Does anybody know for sure if it's releasing this month? They said it would be released Spring 2020, but maybe Spring in Japan includes June? I'm not overly familiar with mobile phone games and how much marketing they normally give out, but it seems like Dark Road has been particularly dry ever since they released the last and only batch of information on it. Anybody else think they're choosing to keep it hush because of the backlash against it when it was revealed?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Anybody else think they're choosing to keep it hush because of the backlash against it when it was revealed?

We. Are. Dealing. With. A. Global. Pandemic.

Awards
So, it's currently the middle of May 2020, and to my recollection, we are supposed to be getting Dark Road released sometime this month. But it seems there's been zero marketing or lead-in to the release. Does anybody know for sure if it's releasing this month? They said it would be released Spring 2020, but maybe Spring in Japan includes June? I'm not overly familiar with mobile phone games and how much marketing they normally give out, but it seems like Dark Road has been particularly dry ever since they released the last and only batch of information on it. Anybody else think they're choosing to keep it hush because of the backlash against it when it was revealed?

Like what Sign said, currently the world is facing a pandemic so its likely that is the cause of it, though I do find it weird that there has been zero information.

AR829038

Awards
We. Are. Dealing. With. A. Global. Pandemic.
I don't expect the pandemic to have any impact. After all, we're dealing with a game entirely on mobile devices. I doubt most of the people working on it need to be in physical contact with each other at any point, so that's no excuse.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't expect the pandemic to have any impact. After all, we're dealing with a game entirely on mobile devices. I doubt most of the people working on it need to be in physical contact with each other at any point, so that's no excuse.

It has not been easy for many companies to get WFH in order for employees. We don’t know how impacted the developers of this game have been, if they have had any cases in their offices (and we know SE had a case in their own offices), and how good of an internet connection these developers have at their homes. Not to mention working with Disney and SE to make sure these employees can legally and securely access their art assets from home.

It’s not a matter of just going home and working.

So no, there are plenty of excuses.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
...good lord, it's not an excuse, it's an actual worldwide threat. We shouldn't be expecting anything right now.

Also, Spring ends June 20th.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
It's going to be difficult with coronavirus safety guidelines. They can't be near a lot of people. While we don't know what their work offices are like, games like these usually require teams of people to communicate with each other or their workstations might be very close.

AR829038

Awards
...good lord, it's not an excuse, it's an actual worldwide threat. We shouldn't be expecting anything right now.

Also, Spring ends June 20th.
Alright, alright. I get it. I was under the impression that businesses where employees didn't have to physically interact would still be operable even during the crisis (after all, other corporations like Amazon are still doing it). 'Scuse me for assuming that an industry that basically runs off computers didn't need to involve people working face-to-face.
Yes, in that light, it makes more sense, though I still would have imagined some word of a pushback or delay in that case if they really don't expect to be able to finish it by release date.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Alright, alright. I get it. I was under the impression that businesses where employees didn't have to physically interact would still be operable even during the crisis (after all, other corporations like Amazon are still doing it). 'Scuse me for assuming that an industry that basically runs off computers didn't need to involve people working face-to-face.
Yes, in that light, it makes more sense, though I still would have imagined some word of a pushback or delay in that case if they really don't expect to be able to finish it by release date.

Trust me, it is not that easy at all. There are tons of technical issues, legal concerns, privacy concerns. And again, like I said in my own post that we don’t know if anybody has gotten sick there.

Also even if work is done on a computer, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of collaboration and oversight going on when it is done in an office. A lot of the creative process is being able to communicate and share your work with your coworkers and supervisors. Feedback can still be given but there is still value in physical face-to-face interaction that makes this work easier to complete.

All of that aside, the reason they probably haven’t announced anything is because they are probably waiting to see if they can or can’t hit their internal deadline given the current circumstances. They probably ARE working hard on getting this to everybody, but they probably don’t want to commit to anything until they know for certain.

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
All of that aside, the reason they probably haven’t announced anything is because they are probably waiting to see if they can or can’t hit their internal deadline given the current circumstances. They probably ARE working hard on getting this to everybody, but they probably don’t want to commit to anything until they know for certain.
This is most certainly what they're doing. It's well within the realm of possibilities that Square is trying to see if they can reach their internal deadline. If not, they could be addressing whether to delay the game for a month or more, or delay it with no date up until reopening.

There's also the possibility of the game getting canned, seeing as how it is a small project and this company isn't new to cancelling already planned content (FFXV DLC).

D

Deleted member 252753

There's also the possibility of the game getting canned, seeing as how it is a small project and this company isn't new to cancelling already planned content (FFXV DLC).
The game's Japanese Twitter account shared some promotional digital wallpapers last week so I should think they aren't planning to cancel it right now.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The game's Japanese Twitter account shared some promotional digital wallpapers last week so I should think they aren't planning to cancel it right now.
These type of decisions sometimes come hammered down from upper management, but you present a valid point. thanks for sharing it.

If they shared wallpaper, then they should have a social media schedule, meaning an announcement should follow in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back