• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sony Sells Square Enix Shares

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
Back before the Square Enix merger Sony bought about 20% of Squaresoft's shares after The Spirits Within bombed at the box office in hopes that they could have something similar to a Nintendo/Rare situation going forward and make a bit of money on the company's rebound.

A few years later Yoichi Wada, amongst others, pushed for a merger with Enix again and so both companies did in 2003. This reduced Sony's shares in the company from to less than 10% and since it was a lot more expensive to buy shares they just sat on them.

Fast forward to today when Sony is, let's put it mildly, in some need of cash.

Not hard to put two and two together after this bit.

It's fair to say it may reflect Sony's unsteadiness in a recovery by Square Enix, but all in all, it really means a lot less than it does.

basically:
no this does not mean FFXV and KH3 are coming to wiiu

ok sunny

Awards
I didn't have high expectations for KH3 and FFXV for the Wii U anyway, but it still blows for people who wanted to play it. Since Sony sold their shares, do you think this could affect the franchise other than the Wii U, though?

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
Previous to the sale of stock, I'd say Sony's influence over Square Enix was pretty negligible, as it will likely be in the future.

In terms of any new deals struck with other companies, Square Enix is probably in a more receptive position right now than in years past.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If that company is Microsoft, I'm shedding real tears.

Square Enix has made deals with all sorts of companies so if they are in the mix it isn't anything new since they've made deals with them in the past. As a 3rd party, they have no loyalties to any one company and will go wherever they like if they see a benefit in it. I can't even begin to list all of the collaborations they've done with companies in the past. It's not like Sony had any control over what SE did. They had to moneyhat just like any other company.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Square Enix has made deals with all sorts of companies so if they are in the mix it isn't anything new since they've made deals with them in the past. As a 3rd party, they have no loyalties to any one company and will go wherever they like if they see a benefit in it. I can't even begin to list all of the collaborations they've done with companies in the past. It's not like Sony had any control over what SE did. They had to moneyhat just like any other company.

I know and understand all of this. My statement stands. Don't want an Xbox.

Xelon99

Awards
KH3 is already confirmed for xbox. But since it'll also be on the PS4, you can still stick with Sony. I really doubt the future KH games will be a Microsoft Exclusive. At most they'd be multiplatform.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Then don't buy one? If a game comes on a system you don't like, you don't buy said system or game. That is when you complain about it on social media and stuff.

Like, don't expect a FF game to go exclusively on XB1 when SE's core market owns a PS4, Vita, or 3DS. Square Enix will probably be 99% multiplat for console games this gen.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Then don't buy one? If a game comes on a system you don't like, you don't buy said system or game. That is when you complain about it on social media and stuff.

Like, don't expect a FF game to go exclusively on XB1 when SE's core market owns a PS4, Vita, or 3DS. Square Enix will probably be 99% multiplat for console games this gen.

I…know all this? BUT. If the day ever came when Square/FF was exclusively for Xbox I'd be sad because I don't want one. I'd complain then as I am now. Knowing Square's history for making deals with companies isn't really all that relevant to me not wanting an Xbox is it?

Not really sure how that followed.

But I'm sure my PS4/Vita and I will all be well served this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back