• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sony Motion Controller [E3 09]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Keybladerz

Sony has come up with some new tech that is probably going to be the next big thing; motion controller. Watch this video of the new and impressive sony motion controller. The say its still in development so it could be better.

YouTube - E3 New PS3 Controller Presentation

It is simply the best piece of tech i have seen in my life time. What do you think? Think it will be recieved well with the public if it is to be released?

Raebus

Oh, wow. That is the greatest piece of technology I have ever seen and it left me rubbing my eyes in astonishment.

Edit: the comments on youtube were retarded as always, silly console war talk.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Sony has come up with some new tech that is probably going to be the next big thing; motion controller. Watch this video of the new and impressive sony motion controller. The say its still in development so it could be better.

YouTube - E3 New PS3 Controller Presentation

And here I thought slow just meant dumb, not like, stuck three weeks in the past.

It is simply the best piece of tech i have seen in my life time
[/quote]

You must be more brilliant than Einstein to be on this forum and showing us, given your life can't have lasted more than three weeks.

E.J.

~yaranaika
Awards
consol wauuuuur
I believe the PS3 controller already had a motion function anyway, right?

EDIT: Wait this is that shitty PSWii controller.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
AKA they've been working on this since like 2000-2002, but they actually tried waiting until their motion control technology was actually relevant, unlike a certain other company who tried to sell us white Gamecubes with accelerometers stolen from Kirby Tilt & Tumble.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
They haven't been working on it since 2002, the patent for this wasn't filed until 2008, all that video shows is that they decided on the "orb" idea that they used to demonstrate for color tracking from the PS2 eyetoy, this technology is completely different. And the whole "wait for the technology to be relevant" is such a crock of shit because if Nintendo never introduced this, it wouldn't have ever become relevant. Sony came up with this as a response to motion control becoming relevant, this hasn't been some underground technology, they needed a motion controller so they looked into their own archives of shit they've done and took their own basic ideas from 7 years ago and threw together a way to make it work as a motion controller, and patented it in 2008.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
It's different, but what you see today is because of what was there back in 2002. It's the same line of technology research and development.
You don't need to file a patent for something that isn't anywhere near finished being made, yet.

it wouldn't have ever become relevant.
I meant the technology being relevant/not obsolete, not its niche in the market.

Wii's motion control technology at launch was nothing but a "shake sensor" and an infrared sensor that got beat out by candles.

I don't care what we saw in the videos at E3 06 that were the true "crock of shit", the motion controls were so terrible when I finally got my Wii, it was a pain just getting it to notice my shakes once in a while.

Sony came up with this as a response to motion control becoming relevant,
As you seem so clearly blind to see, Sony has been working on this for years, well before the Wii came out.

this hasn't been some underground technology, they needed a motion controller so they looked into their own archives of shit they've done and took their own basic ideas from 7 years ago and threw together a way to make it work as a motion controller, and patented it in 2008.
Source? Proof?

Sony didn't just throw this up within the past 2 years to battle the Wii...it's been working on this for years.
Kotaku - Sony's Magic EyeToy Wand, When It Was For The PS2 - Richard Marks
Kotaku - Development Of Sony's New Motion Controller Began Years Ago - PS3

"If you want to track it back the team has been working on that since the days of the original EyeToy."
Which, for reference, was back in 2002.

Going to take a nap.
inb4grumpyMuffinManresponse.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
What made this possible was there in 2002, because the basic concept of this is that a camera sees a colored point, the end. That is this motion controller's technology. The entire technology is the Wii's IR sensor turned backwards.

YouTube - Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote

Remember this? Johnny Lee became famous because he did with the Wiimote what people didn't think to do: use the Wiimote as the stationary point and the person what it tracks, not the other way. So, he thought to take the Wii's IR camera and then allow the tracking to be points on the body, ie, shiny pieces and LEDs that it could see on your fingertips or head. This is the same exact technology.

I'm not blind to see, Sony hasn't been working on this otherwise there would have been patents. When a company comes up with an idea, they need it patented even if they aren't going to use it so they can sit on it to avoid legal issues later down the road, otherwise similar ideas can be introduced by other companies and they won't be able to do anything about it.

Sony did not patent this technology or even the concept of it until 2008 as a response to the need to develop a motion controller for their console. Now, of course companies will say that they were "already working on this forever ago" because you need to say that, and in this case it's immensely easy to say that the Eyetoy was the baby-steps towards the technology, because it was, all this technology is is the Eyetoy + a way to track a wand, however that doesn't make this "being worked on" since the Eyetoy, it makes it them working with previously developed technology.

Sony said that the PS2's ethernet port wasn't a response to Xbox Live, Microsoft said the Xbox Live Vision Camera wasn't a response to the Eyetoy, Microsoft said that the HD-DVD drive wasn't a response to Blu-Ray, Sony said that the XMB and the Playstation Home button weren't a response to the Dashboard and X button. They all are, but no one will say they are because that's not how companies work.

It's not really hard to see, look at the comments in the article you posted:

"Wow, strange enough Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all somehow developed their motion control years before the others. Fascinating! Its a like...freaky coincidence"

"Yep, they've all been developing motion controls at the same time they've been ridiculing Nintendo for announcing one"

"Funny how it's been in development so long, yet they hardly had tangible tech demo ready for the largest Video Game conference of the year, nor the proper presentators to demonstrate it."

Everyone is lying about everything. That's called "Public Relations".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back