• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sonic the Hedgehog

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
HCI_News_Sonic_Header_Horiz_1024x682.jpg

So this is how Sonic is gonna look like in the live action movie.

EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh...

I wouldn't mind the CG approach so much if they had at least stayed faithful to the character's look. Personality wise they may nail it, but...

That is a cursed image.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
HCI_News_Sonic_Header_Horiz_1024x682.jpg

So this is how Sonic is gonna look like in the live action movie.

EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh...
One thing. There is only one thing about this abomination I'm okay with and that's the white fur between his eyes. I think that was a cute idea.

Everything else has me terrified.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I want to like sonic stuff so bad, but then shit like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and this movie poster comes out. One was an embarrassingly buggy game that looked like it belonged on the PS2 while the movie poster is just... ugly. I actually prefer the design where he had the beady eyes, I'm not kidding. They should have just made an animated movie! I would LOVE that! But instead we have this shit. What the hell.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
They should have realized they struck gold with Eggman from Sat AM and kept him that way. Eggman is likable and all, but I've never felt threatened by him. To be honest, I can't remember the last time a sonic character made me feel scared for anyone. Lyric was a joke, Infinite was just the personification of too many angsty butt rock anthems, and the lost world villains were... there? Like, tell me, who actually remembered the name of the deadly six villain in sonic forces before sonic said his name?

I think the last time I thought Eggman was a real threat was during unleashed of all games, although I think that had all to do with that admittedly amazing opening cutscene and less to do with Orbot and Cubot, the lords of tension dissolving. Forces tried to make him something, but the plot was way too rushed and undetailed for me to feel like he was written well or scary in the slightest.

Pokie

They should have realized they struck gold with Eggman from Sat AM and kept him that way. Eggman is likable and all, but I've never felt threatened by him. To be honest, I can't remember the last time a sonic character made me feel scared for anyone.

American Dr. Robotnik is different from Eggman though. Dr. Robotnik is frightening and chilling, while Eggman is a bit of a narcissistic clown. Robotnik is very " American Kirby is PISSED !" , But I agree with you that Robotnik works so much better as a bad guy.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I think this is an overall issue of the Sonic Team not knowing what the hell to do with Sonic the Hedgehog as a franchise beyond making 2D games. Sonic Team need to make a solid 3D Sonic game and derive the rest of the games from that. Even though the Adventure games aren't perfect, they served as a grounds to evolve the franchise from there, but they sorta went a bit downwards with Heroes, which was originally Adventure 3, and then Sonic '06 was supposed to be the series' pinnacle, but its rushed development made it the lowest point the series has hit, even though I think Rise of Lyric is pretty much a new low.

Veevee

Awards
I think this is an overall issue of the Sonic Team not knowing what the hell to do with Sonic the Hedgehog as a franchise beyond making 2D games. Sonic Team need to make a solid 3D Sonic game and derive the rest of the games from that. Even though the Adventure games aren't perfect, they served as a grounds to evolve the franchise from there, but they sorta went a bit downwards with Heroes, which was originally Adventure 3, and then Sonic '06 was supposed to be the series' pinnacle, but its rushed development made it the lowest point the series has hit, even though I think Rise of Lyric is pretty much a new low.

I feel like they are paying too little attention to what's good and fun and are trying too hard to implement every kind of ... stuff. For example, most people like the existing characters but there are so many of them, so what happens? You get to design your own stupid avatar in Sonic Forces who is basically the only one doing something in that game besides Sonic. Speaking of Sonic Forces, we have just so many levels where you have to do things that are no fun, especially because the controls are usually way too clunky for this. I don't remember much from Sonic: Lost World, but I remember being turned into a snowball and trying to roll this clunky ball of baggage over a ground full of holes. Great. Sonic Forces on the other hand offered me the unique experiences of being thrown into a level that was about 70% water slope and you could hardly control your avatar or the force of the water that hit him and I ended up dead several times while collecting rings because the water had just gushed me out of the slope and there was nothing that could be done about it. I really don't mind Sonic Team trying new things, but they should really think about what made Sonic great. I love 3D Sonics even more than I do the 2D ones, but what I love about it is the speed rush and the skillful maneuvring and the railgrinding and just feeling you're the world's fastest hero. Mashing hordes of enemies because your homing automatically aims at them (or, at times, not) and ultimately falling down because of that isn't exactly the most joyful experience. Collecting the red rings is a blast, but having to do that three times per level because there are three sets of different rings like in Forces is an overstretch. I had to do every level about 10 times or so (beating it, collecting red rings, number rings and moon rings and failing sometimes) which kinda killed the experience. They really should rethink what made the Hedgehog great. It wasn't only the 2D games.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I feel like they are paying too little attention to what's good and fun and are trying too hard to implement every kind of ... stuff. For example, most people like the existing characters but there are so many of them, so what happens? You get to design your own stupid avatar in Sonic Forces who is basically the only one doing something in that game besides Sonic. Speaking of Sonic Forces, we have just so many levels where you have to do things that are no fun, especially because the controls are usually way too clunky for this. I don't remember much from Sonic: Lost World, but I remember being turned into a snowball and trying to roll this clunky ball of baggage over a ground full of holes. Great. Sonic Forces on the other hand offered me the unique experiences of being thrown into a level that was about 70% water slope and you could hardly control your avatar or the force of the water that hit him and I ended up dead several times while collecting rings because the water had just gushed me out of the slope and there was nothing that could be done about it. I really don't mind Sonic Team trying new things, but they should really think about what made Sonic great. I love 3D Sonics even more than I do the 2D ones, but what I love about it is the speed rush and the skillful maneuvring and the railgrinding and just feeling you're the world's fastest hero. Mashing hordes of enemies because your homing automatically aims at them (or, at times, not) and ultimately falling down because of that isn't exactly the most joyful experience. Collecting the red rings is a blast, but having to do that three times per level because there are three sets of different rings like in Forces is an overstretch. I had to do every level about 10 times or so (beating it, collecting red rings, number rings and moon rings and failing sometimes) which kinda killed the experience. They really should rethink what made the Hedgehog great. It wasn't only the 2D games.

Yep. Sonic Team is treating each 3D entry like FINAL FANTASY: trying to do something different, but TOO different. There's isn't even progression because each 3D entry does something different. The only progression we've had is Adventure 1 > Adventure 2, and sorta Adventure 2 > Heroes. Sonic '06 is progression, but that game was a mess. Let's not even talk about Grand Theft Shadow.

3D Sonic should benefit from 2D's strict formulaic nature.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I swear not all things are meant to be a live action movie. Sonic the Hedgehog being one of them.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I mean, animated to live-action movies always blow. If they don't blow, they're not as good as the original. Sonic the Hedgehog as a live-action character makes no sense.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
People seem positive on Detective Pikachu & Bumblebee was pretty good.

Veevee

Awards
I mean, animated to live-action movies always blow. If they don't blow, they're not as good as the original. Sonic the Hedgehog as a live-action character makes no sense.

Kenshin did better as a Live Action movie than the Original, but that's because the Original was so messy. The Original had so many aspects that didn't fit a samurai history manga AT ALL and looked more like they came out of a superhero comic / Marvel movie - which makes sense because the author said he loves those. But aside from that, yes, most live action movies hardly make decent movies, let alone adaptions. I just don't get why everything need to be adapted as live action movie; some stuff is just not really suitable because of various reasons. What's even there to adapt about Sonic? Eggman wants to do bad things, Sonic wants to prevent it, you kinda collect rings for no reason and run through levels. Wow, that has to make a great movie, right?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Sonic the Hedgehog News:

Next Sonic game in development:

During the SXSW panel for Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega’s Takashi Iizuka confirmed at the very end that the next Sonic game is in development.

For the next Sonic game, no details were given on whether it will be a 3D or 2D title. More details are to be announced in the future.

Team Sonic Racing news:

...new footage showing off how you can customize your vehicle, and a returning course in Team Sonic Racing was shown off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyuunXb4gCc

Bingo Party from Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is coming back as a course in Team Sonic Racing, and Sega has shared the new music track that plays on the course below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt5arDNr9-g

Finally, Team Sonic Racing is getting a 2-part animation by Tyson Hesse and Neko Production, and you can find it below:
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog?...ion-team-sonic-racing-customization-detailed/

Thanks to Siliconera for the tip.

---

One of the reasons that Sonic Forces is the way it is is because, of the four year development cycle it had, THREE were dedicated to developing the engine it utilized, while the game only took a year to make. I feel like, if the next game is 3D, there's a possibility it might be better than Forces.

Last edited:

Veevee

Awards
Oh, I'd love another 3D game. I can't help it. I will always wait for a new Sonic game.
Sonic racing on the other hand doesn't excite me much. I tried it once on the PS3, thought the controls were rather clunky. Maybe if it gets cheaper.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I want the Sonic Mania team to do a Sonic Maker. Mostly because Sega can't be trusted to do it right.

Back