• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Social Networking (Facebook, Myspace,...), opinions/experiences etc.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aria

braver by the minute
0. Cara, 15, USA

1. I don't think it plays that big of a role, but I'm usually on for 30 minutes, depending on how much homework I have. If a good friend is on then I might be on for an hour.

2. Talking with my friends, catching up with people who live in other states/countries

3. I don't know honestly. I like being able to communicate with my friends in other places on there as opposed to a phone call.

4. Facebook

5. I would move on. I don't think they're necessary, but they are nice to keep in touch with people.

6. Everyone, and yes.

Aqua D.Light

Brandi R.
TX.USA

1. How big of a role do social networking sites play in your daily life? Do you spend a lot of time on them?
I spend a whole lot of time on them, I'm always logged on to my facebook,myspace, etc

2. What do you usually use these sites for?
Meet new people, talk to friends, flirt with guys I know xD

3. In your opinion, what makes them so special and convenient to you? Why do you like to use them? What is your favorite aspect about them?
Well, they're just fun, not everyone has a phone, but they might have a computer. And you can find old friends aswell

4. How many and which social networking sites do you use on a regular basis?
Only two :)

5. Could you imagine living without social networking sites altogether? If not, how so? Do you think they're necessary in today's life?
I'm not sure, probably not. I just think it's just so part of society today, it would feel weird if it was gone.

6. How many people in your circle of acquaintances do you know who use them? Are they all in the same age group?
Basically every signle person I know, and they range from the ages of 10-40

I actually got together and broke up with a guy through myspace two years ago xDD

Last edited:

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Erick E
14 yrs old
FL/USA

1. How big of a role do social networking sites play in your daily life? Do you spend a lot of time on them? How much per day/week (average)? I usually go on facebook daily. So 7 days a week.

2. What do you usually use these sites for? To talk to friends at school, like pages, and look around at status' to see whats up. Also to sometimes ask friends if they want to hang out or do whatever.

3. Why do you like to use them? What is your favorite aspect about them? I like to use them because it makes it easier to keep in touch with friends. My favorite aspect about it is that you can run into people that you haven't seen in years lol

4. How many and which social networking sites do you use on a regular basis? One. Myspace got stale to me.

5. Could you imagine living without social networking sites altogether? If not, how so? Do you think they're necessary in today's life? Yeah, I could. It really isn't that much of an impact on me. It's just...convenient.

6. How many people in your circle of acquaintances do you know who use them? Are they all in the same age group? Most of the people I know have an account on a social networking site. All of them are in my high school.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
0. JJ G., 18, MS, USA.

1. Not truly a big role, but I spend around an average of maybe 3 hours' worth of time on FB a week, at the most.

2. Keeping in contact with old friends, and any new ones. You'd be surprised how many people you don't expect to have a FB who happen to have one.

3. I dunno, really. It's there to be somewhat customized to be something that reflects me? Meh.

4. Just FB, and see #1

5. Yeah, maybe, but some friends might move far away, and snail mail, phone calls, and e-mails isn't what today's populace really want to WAIT on, y'know?

6. I'd have to say ninety-percent, since I don't think all of my friends use FB; however, most of them are within my age range (a year or two younger/older, with some exceptions here and there.)

I make a point of not adding relatives to my FB. I don't want to have document-able evidence that they aren't able to use the internet properly, looking at my mum. My older brother annoys the living crap out of me when he comes in on the weekends from his college, so no. And I don't particularly like it when people get mad at one another and simply just go 'block-delete friend' without first sitting down and talking to each other about the problem. It does nothing but show how immature some people are these days..

Hopefully I'm not too late. :S

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Gildragon

Theatre Messiah
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
David McCarthy, 23, United States

1. social networking At least once if not several times daily. and at times for extended periods of time at several different sites (Primarily Facebook and twitter)

2. video sharing, keeping in touch with friends, and as a cure for boredom

3. I find that twitter allows me to post short updates that are easily seen by a few and as well I can catch on updates for both friends, and companies I like to follow. Facebook allows me to do video sharing that I may not be able to do on youtube as well as keep in contact with old friends

4. at least 5 regularly : Facebook, Twitter, DeviantArt, Tumblr, Youtube (sort of social) as well as other occasional visits to places like Myspace

5. While for me communication would be harder. I was around before social networking is popular. so I don't think i'd have major problems if it was gone/

6. Most poeple I know do use facebook or other social media. I happen to have a wide age range network, with majority being within 5 years of my age.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Male
Illinois, United States

1. How big of a role do social networking sites play in your daily life? Do you spend a lot of time on them? How much per day/week (average)?

Not a very large role. I'll check my Facebook probably six to ten times a day, but it's more reading what others have said than actually posting anything myself. Each visit is no more than five minutes, so I spend half an hour to an hour on a day.

Reading what other people have to say and whatnot. I've learned a lot of interesting things on Facebook. Sometimes I'll talk to people that I haven't in a while, but usually I'm pretty bad about replying, so my profile is pretty dead. I have never played Farmville, Mafia Wars, usw.

3. In your opinion, what makes them so special and convenient to you? Why do you like to use them? What is your favorite aspect about them?

I like learning what's going on in other people's lives. I've never been much for sharing about myself, but I love learning what's going on with other people, and that's reflected a lot with my Facebook use. If I am going to post something, chances are it's an inside joke with a friend or two, or it's intended to stir a reaction from someone.

Facebook. I used to use Myspace until the end of my junior year in high school, and that's when my friend group made the shift from Myspace to Facebook. I did like Myspace because it allowed me to customize profiles, which was really entertaining when I was bored at three in the morning.

5. Could you imagine living without social networking sites altogether? If not, how so? Do you think they're necessary in today's life?

In the same way as a cell phone, I'd like to live without it, but it's almost too convenient not to. For many people, I'd say it does come fairly close to a necessity. Too many people's only forms of social interaction are digital- living exclusively on Facebook and texting isn't uncommon around peers of mine.

6. How many people in your circle of acquaintances do you know who use them? Are they all in the same age group?

Almost every group that I know of has a Facebook account as of the last year. Almost every high school kid, internet acquaintance, grandparent, company, etc. that I know is on there someplace. Yesterday even, I got friend requests from two different dogs. (which were quickly ignored.)

(Anything else you feel is worth mentioning (special experiences, miscellaneous stuff)?

Not that hasn't already been expressed by me or someone else in this thread, no.

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
Oh, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all the great responses guys, it helps me a lot.

In your paper, do you plan to talk about how having the mass population flock to one social-networking site has effectively given all the power to that one site to do as they please? For instance, selling personal information about the users to high-bidding websites to load audience-specific ads to users of a given age/sex/location/etc.

I'm not sure if there is actually any such site that you speak of, or that that scenario has ever happened. So it isn't a part of my paper. On the other hand though, it sounds like something I could use.
I will definitely write about illegal 3rd party information collecting for marketing purposes though.

khluva010

Nice Ascot!
on the playground is where I spent most of my days
0. If possible, please give your name (doesn't have to be the full name, first name and first letter of the last name will do fine, "Leonard R." for me, for example), your age, and the country you live in.
Kamaria H. 18, U.S.

1. How big of a role do social networking sites play in your daily life? Do you spend a lot of time on them? How much per day/week (average)?
It’s not the most important thing to me though ironically I go on Facebook (mainly) a couple times a day, but I’m only on for like 30 minutes so in total I’ll say if you add up the total hours a week, nowadays about five hours(?) in total.

I use Facebook to catch up with old friends and also for industry insights for when I graduate, I plan on being a music producer so networking will help out a lot.

Well it’s a great way to keep up with people especially those that you know you won’t see for awhile.

The one I use the most is Facebook. But once I start recording, I might get back on Myspace again.

Yes, people would have better social skills in my opinion. Depends on your lifestyle, I think since the way America (specially) does things nowadays, you would think they were necessary but they aren’t really (I know, a bit contradicting haha).

Pretty much everyone I know is on Facebook (& Twitter too, but I don’t use that) They’re various ages, but I think in terms of who I chat with, they’re between the ages of 15 through 40.

(Anything else you feel is worth mentioning (special experiences, miscellaneous stuff)?
I think that if Facebook didn’t make me feel like I’m unintentionally stalking people everytime I log on, than I would be more obligated to stay on longer!

Oh, and of course, this is not just a thread for me and my paper. Consider this a general Social Networking thread, too.
I think people who use Twitter because they like the idea of being stalked should just write a book or something about there life haha like seriously, don’t see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back