• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So why is it that no one remembers Xion?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

blksabbath74

I rewatched 358/2 yesterday, in between cleaning house and chasing kids, I still don't understand exactly what happened.

Thanks in advance!

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Because the writers are idiots and they needed an excuse for her not being mentioned in KH2

Xion is composed of Sora's memories, so when she returned to him, all the memories of Xion went with her. It's similer to everyone forgetting Sora when Namine began repairing his memories; all the memories are connected by chains, so when Xion went she pulled out all the chains of memories with her.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
From what I recall, Xion is composed entirely of memories, specifically Sora's memories. According to Namine, when Xion began to form a mind of her own, she inadvertently adopted Sora's memories as her own (possible starting on the day that she began to speak to Roxas). This meant that she never really had her own sense of being beforehand, something even the Nobodies in Organization XIII ironically possessed (all of them, bar Roxas, having the memories of their lives before becoming Nobodies). Xion then technically began to exist solely on the fact that Sora's memories were keeping her intact thanks to his memories being screwed up by Namine in back in Chain of Memories. What this essentially means is that when Xion disappears, no one remembers her because her existence was born out of Sora's fragmented and unstable memories and some science-y stuff from Vexen. We can even see how her adopting his memories begins to destroy her internally in the infamous "Snarl of Memories" cutscene:

[video=youtube;Tuz8XTOdHRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuz8XTOdHRE&list=PLhcSrKyqhfh6SsgPLH6uXx2I36M-xJ_ow[/video]

Edit: ninja'd by Ruran

blksabbath74

Because the writers are idiots and they needed an excuse for her not being mentioned in KH2

Xion is composed of Sora's memories, so when she returned to him, all the memories of Xion went with her. It's similer to everyone forgetting Sora when Namine began repairing his memories; all the memories are connected by chains, so when Xion went she pulled out all the chains of memories with her.

So basically the same reason there are so many problems with the Sora/Namine/Roxas/Xion Memory plotline in General?

I still don't get it to be honest, but I liked the character, so I hope to see more of her...

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
From what I recall, Xion is composed entirely of memories, specifically Sora's memories. According to Namine, when Xion began to form a mind of her own, she inadvertently adopted Sora's memories as her own (possible starting on the day that she began to speak to Roxas). This meant that she never really had her own sense of being beforehand, something even the Nobodies in Organization XIII ironically possessed (all of them, bar Roxas, having the memories of their lives before becoming Nobodies). Xion then technically began to exist solely on the fact that Sora's memories were keeping her intact thanks to his memories being screwed up by Namine in back in Chain of Memories. What this essentially means is that when Xion disappears, no one remembers her because her existence was born out of Sora's fragmented and unstable memories and some science-y stuff from Vexen. We can even see how her adopting his memories begins to destroy her internally in the infamous "Snarl of Memories" cutscene:

[video=youtube;Tuz8XTOdHRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuz8XTOdHRE&list=PLhcSrKyqhfh6SsgPLH6uXx2I36M-xJ_ow[/video]

Edit: ninja'd by Ruran

Xion's breakdown in the Snarl of Memories scene shows the result of her taking far more than from just Sora. By that point, she had also taken a fair quantity of memories from both Roxas and Riku as well, and all three combined overwhelmed her completely.

blksabbath74

Xion's breakdown in the Snarl of Memories scene shows the result of her taking far more than from just Sora. By that point, she had also taken a fair quantity of memories from both Roxas and Riku as well, and all three combined overwhelmed her completely.

I remember that sequence, yes. So was she a memory leach?

I can understand how she would be destroyed physically in the process of surrendering those memories to Roxas, but I still don't get why other people who encountered her as a physical being wouldn't remember her.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I still don't get it to be honest, but I liked the character, so I hope to see more of her...

Well don't worry, given she is one of "the tormented" she will be back :) Roxas needs someone to eat ice cream with!

I remember that sequence, yes. So was she a memory leach?

I can understand how she would be destroyed physically in the process of surrendering those memories to Roxas, but I still don't get why other people who encountered her as a physical being wouldn't remember her.

Essentially, yes, she was a memory leach and she originally just leached Sora's memories (as a way to keep him asleep forever so that the Org. could have a keyblade wielder) but the reason that plot point was made was because, as Ruran said, they needed some excuse why nobody mentioned her in any previous games.

However, the way I understand it, a person's memories consist of their own and everyone's memory of that person. When their memories are removed, they are essentially removed from everyone's memories.

It's just a weird psychic and I think of it like in Harry Potter when Hermoine used "obliviate" on her parents. She not only removed her memories from their mind, but from anyone she ever knew (so that no friends would go looking for her at her house).

Gram

Banned
Awards

She was destroyed physically because Roxas defeated her, her body literally faded away as it was giving out.
Namine explained why in Days. Her entire being is memories, namely Soras, by giving back what she had took it was as if she never existed to begin with.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

Makes sense. She had to have transformed into them on her own somehow.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
She was destroyed physically because Roxas defeated her, her body literally faded away as it was giving out.
Namine explained why in Days. Her entire being is memories, namely Soras, by giving back what she had took it was as if she never existed to begin with.

Exactly, at that point her existence and the existence of Sora's memories were indistinguishable. Xion was literally the personification of Sora's memories, specifically of his time with Kairi. It was one or the other.

blksabbath74

Exactly, at that point her existence and the existence of Sora's memories were indistinguishable. Xion was literally the personification of Sora's memories, specifically of his time with Kairi. It was one or the other.

But she DID grow a heart, correct, which was passed to Roxas and then to Sora?

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Technically speaking she did gain her own identity, but that didn't stop the fact that all of that was built on Sora's stolen memories. At first Namine speculated it was possible to disconnect Xion from Sora's memories, but it would have taken even more time and DiZ wouldn't have tolerated it.

Whatever exists of Xion is still in Sora, and that would be the heart she made, we see that she's still in there in 3D.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

Her heart may have been borne at that point, but even then, her body was comprised of Sora's memories of Kairi. When she died, her heart most likely went into Roxas which, in turn, went into Sora. However, her existence and Sora's memories have become one and the same due to her inadvertently adopting them as her own. No one remembers her because at that point, it was either they remember her or Sora('s memories). Since Xion herself decided to return to Sora and not have her existence dominate over her memories, no one remembers her and instead, remember Sora and vaguely recall that they forgot him and Donald and Goofy for a better part of a year.

Edit: ninja'd by Tinny

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards

Tinny said:
Technically speaking she did gain her own identity, but that didn't stop the fact that all of that was built on Sora's stolen memories. At first Namine speculated it was possible to disconnect Xion from Sora's memories, but it would have taken even more time and DiZ wouldn't have tolerated it.

Whatever exists of Xion is still in Sora, and that would be the heart she made, we see that she's still in there in 3D.
This^
She was born from Soras memories which was siphoned from Roxas. As she absorbed them and gained a identity of her own, the memories she stole became a part of her.

It all ties into the "chain" that connects memories Namine explained to Sora in CoM. Sora's memories became a part of her "chain" by returning to sora that chain was pulled apart as her memories and identity was tied to and built upon Sora's memories. (namely those of kairi)
It's basically the same reason Leon and Sora's other friends mentioned forgetting him for a while in kh2, it was because Namine had taken apart his "chain" of memories and restored them.

And as Tinny said what's left of her is within Sora yes but so far he's the only one to show remembering she ever existed because of this. (and even then he still doesn't know who she was, her name, or her connection to Roxas or himself. To him, Xion is "that girl")

Though honestly, no matter what in-game reasons Namine gave nor how much you or any of us over think it the real cause is basically what has been mentioned by several others already.
They needed a reason to explain why she wasn't mentioned in kh2 and this was the convenient reason they came up with.

blksabbath74

This^
She was born from Soras memories which was siphoned from Roxas. As she absorbed them and gained a identity of her own, the memories she stole became a part of her.

It all ties into the "chain" that connects memories Namine explained to Sora in CoM. Sora's memories became a part of her "chain" by returning to sora that chain was pulled apart as her memories and identity was tied to and built upon Sora's memories. (namely those of kairi)
It's basically the same reason Leon and Sora's other friends mentioned forgetting him for a while in kh2, it was because Namine had taken apart his "chain" of memories and restored them.

And as Tinny said what's left of her is within Sora yes but so far he's the only one to show remembering she ever existed because of this. (and even then he still doesn't know who she was, her name, or her connection to Roxas or himself. To him, Xion is "that girl")

Though honestly, no matter what in-game reasons Namine gave nor how much you or any of us over think it the real cause is basically what has been mentioned by several others already.
They needed a reason to explain why she wasn't mentioned in kh2 and this was the convenient reason they came up with.

Okay, I though she absorbed Sora's memories when Namine was trying to put them back, but you are saying that she was physically created from Sora's Memories of Kairi? Like, her personality or her actual physical form?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Okay, I though she absorbed Sora's memories when Namine was trying to put them back, but you are saying that she was physically created from Sora's Memories of Kairi? Like, her personality or her actual physical form?

Both is correct.
Xion continued to siphon power by absorbing loose memories of Sora by collecting them through Roxas, which is why Naminé experienced more and more problems when trying to piece them back together. It's like a puzzle. Naminé shattered the puzzle in CoM when manipulating Sora's memories and went then to put it back again.
However, through Roxas' connection to Sora Xion began to take pieces of the puzzle away, some of them even left inside Roxas during the process because she and Roxas both were pulling a (subconscious) tug-o-war with the memory pieces in order to enhance their power.

In order to even "activate" Xion though and forge the connection she has with both Sora and Roxas, a sample of Sora's memories was collected by Xemnas (that's what the whole Unknown-fight in KH 1 is all about and why Xemnas "walked" through Sora) and put into the puppet that eventually became Xion.
Just like Vexen collected "data" from Riku in order to "activate" the Riku Replica in CoM.

blksabbath74

Both is correct.
Xion continued to siphon power by absorbing loose memories of Sora by collecting them through Roxas, which is why Naminé experienced more and more problems when trying to piece them back together. It's like a puzzle. Naminé shattered the puzzle in CoM when manipulating Sora's memories and went then to put it back again.
However, through Roxas' connection to Sora Xion began to take pieces of the puzzle away, some of them even left inside Roxas during the process because she and Roxas both were pulling a (subconscious) tug-o-war with the memory pieces in order to enhance their power.

In order to even "activate" Xion though and forge the connection she has with both Sora and Roxas, a sample of Sora's memories was collected by Xemnas (that's what the whole Unknown-fight in KH 1 is all about and why Xemnas "walked" through Sora) and put into the puppet that eventually became Xion.
Just like Vexen collected "data" from Riku in order to "activate" the Riku Replica in CoM.

Do you think that Replicu would have begun to experience similar symptoms to Xion if he had lasted longer?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Do you think that Replicu would have begun to experience similar symptoms to Xion if he had lasted longer?

According to Vexen, Repliku was the failure in the Replica Project. It's possible that he might not be capable of doing so.

blksabbath74

According to Vexen, Repliku was the failure in the Replica Project. It's possible that he might not be capable of doing so.

Well, they were both ultimately failures, but which was created first? IIRC, it seems like Xion was introduced prior to Axel leaving for Castle Oblivion, so it seems like Xion was an earlier model that Repliku.

Obviously Xemnas and Vexen never watched Blade Runner, or they would have known better.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Xion was indeed an earlier product. Not only that she was introduced on Roxas' 14th day of being (and the events of CO didn't happen until the 20th-ish day), it was also evident from the fact that Xemnas also sampled Sora's memories prior to their battle that took place in KHFM. These memories are what would be implanted into Xion's design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back