• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So who else is just soaking it in?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I've played KH1 so many times, it was almost jarring to fight maleficent and not have framerate issues during the meteor attack.

lol Your not the only one, it went so smooth I actually got distracted and hit by one.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
lol Your not the only one, it went so smooth I actually got distracted and hit by one.
XD

Apologies if anyone else mentioned this, but the argyle screen in the XMB menu has at least four stills from Coded. The most obvious one is in the lower right corner. Sora with his keyblade against what is clearly Disney Castle(a little glimpse of the red carpet is visible). There's also a full one of Chip and Dale, and one of Donald and Goofy in their castle attire in a shot not in the first game. Finally, at the top, you can catch a glimpse of Pete's arm against a bright light, which is taken from the flashback scene in coded where he entered the Datascape for the first time.

That scene with Aladdin and Goofy in the Cave of Wonders also looks suspicious, but it's not in Coded. KH2 perhaps?

Last edited:

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

Those meteors sure take a chunk of HP lol. I'm glad the framerate issues are a lot smoother now.

teatimed

Soooooooo many nostalgic feelings. It's crazy how amazingly the game holds up entertainment wise, even today :)

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
XD

Apologies if anyone else mentioned this, but the argyle screen in the XMB menu has at least four stills from Coded. The most obvious one is in the lower right corner. Sora with his keyblade against what is clearly Disney Castle(a little glimpse of the red carpet is visible). There's also a full one of Chip and Dale, and one of Donald and Goofy in their castle attire in a shot not in the first game. Finally, at the top, you can catch a glimpse of Pete's arm against a bright light, which is taken from the flashback scene in coded where he entered the Datascape for the first time.

That scene with Aladdin and Goofy in the Cave of Wonders also looks suspicious, but it's not in Coded. KH2 perhaps?

Yep! There's also a picture of Ariel from KH2 I think there are others, but I'll have to go check.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
@ajmrowland: I'm gonna hafta check this out! I don't know whether to call SE on "spoilers" or maybe just plain "lazy" if this is the case :3
They're not really spoilers. It's just an odd assortment of shots of characters featured in the collection in some way. At least in the games. I doubt it's laziness too, unless they decide to use the exact same screen on the next collection.

Yep! There's also a picture of Ariel from KH2 I think there are others, but I'll have to go check.
Yeah, I noticed that one too but wasn't sure if it wasn't just her in the garden in KH1 or RE:COM. I'm pretty sure the Aladdin one is from KH2 as there's a carpet on the floor there.

Also just noticed that Merlin's House is under an open sky instead of in a cave

Last edited:

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
So..

I completed Final Mix some days ago. The overall visual upgrade is very good and I can say I am satisfied. The only real problems I met were in 4 cutscenes and 2 instances of huge frame-drops.

The CGI cutscenes, while they have been remastered/re-rendered in some form, have a heavy problem with aliasing. I guess I can let this one go but it really is a shame, considering how much work has been put into them and how important they are to the fan-base.

My second issue, and that' a huge one, has to do with compression artifacts. The deep dive CGI cutscenes have compression artifacts the size of my palm and they don't look good. Finally, the post-credits cutscene that leads into CoM is heavily compressed as well. I have no idea what that is... the cutscene if probably a video file (unlike the in-game cutscenes which are produced real-time) and the bit-rate should be terrible.

Yesterday I moved on to Re:CoM... OMG!!!! Why on earth do the cutscenes look so bad? The models aren't refined, everything is blurry, aliasing is everywhere. I really don't get it. I'm now watching the first Axel cutscene and it's really terrible. I just understood what they "Deep Analysis" guy meant.

The weird thing is, that the gameplay looks perfectly normal. I can only assume that they remastered this one poorly. I haven't watched the 358/2 Days cutscenes yet, I hope they did a good job on those at least.

EDIT: apparently the cutscenes in CoM were all pre-rendered, that's why they look so bad. Such a shame... :(

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Yesterday I moved on to Re:CoM... OMG!!!! Why on earth do the cutscenes look so bad? The models aren't refined, everything is blurry, aliasing is everywhere. I really don't get it. I'm now watching the first Axel cutscene and it's really terrible. I just understood what they "Deep Analysis" guy meant.

The weird thing is, that the gameplay looks perfectly normal. I can only assume that they remastered this one poorly. I haven't watched the 358/2 Days cutscenes yet, I hope they did a good job on those at least.

I always thought that Re:CoM!Sora looks different from KHFM!Sora, but couldn't pinpoint exactly what or why. I think that big question mark in my mind has gone away now.

And Days' cutscenes are okay... although I'd say they could've done better with the cutscenes that already appeared in the DS game. They have the same problems as Deep Dive and the Pluto-chasing meadow scene.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I just spend an hour trying to get any lightning stone/power stone. I lucked out and got 1 lightning but after the 7th time of the sniper's finding me I had to quit for my sanity. Material hunting could be so tiring sigh.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
I barely noticed the aliasing in the prerendered cutscenes for Final Mix. I was too focused on the other artefacts. I know it would've cost more and taken more effort, but I think the collection could've benefited from professional blu-ray transferring.

As for RECOM, they're not just prerendered but were lower res than SD in the PS2 version.

King Nickey

rROg5i

12703459.jpg - Image - Aijaa.com
Haha, Bet that Donald has something to do with that. :D

E: Why My image is not showing :( (Well check the link)

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Yeah, likely.

Anyway, i was in the treehouse and thinking "they should've put the overturned cradle from the movie in here".

Edit: having beat the Hades Cup, I just noticed that in the 2D image of him on the board outside, he's holding the "sucker" he meant to give baby herc in the movie. Possible stolen movie still?

Edit: the last third of EOTW quickly becomes a game of "Name that Disney Movie"

Last edited:

Laluune

Got so frustrated fighting giant Ursula, every time I'd purposely swam towards her to attack her head I'd be down at her chest and couldn't swim up. Worst battle ever. Hate under water worlds >.>

Kind of dreading my end screen on member knock outs, they just do their thing, spend all my hard earned potions and ethers and still go down >.>

I forgot how frustrating the camera can be, swinging into walls, target locking on things not on screen. Seems to get more frustrating on the later levels.

I'm in Halloween town now, it's so cool :3

King Nickey

Soo, I started playing Re:CoM... Imo the whole card system sucks, and the fighting system. I mean when you meat a heartless, you just cant kill it there, but sora "warps" to a some sort of an fighting area. Im so disapointed that cba even plying that game. Gotta keep playing KH Final Mix then.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Soo, I started playing Re:CoM... Imo the whole card system sucks, and the fighting system. I mean when you meat a heartless, you just cant kill it there, but sora "warps" to a some sort of an fighting area. Im so disapointed that cba even plying that game. Gotta keep playing KH Final Mix then.
Is this your first time playing Chain of Memories in any capacity?

Much of what makes it so different can be attributed to the limitations of the GBA, and that Re:CoM was a very faithful adaptation.

For a while I didn't like it all that much either. But it'll grow on you. And the story part is totally solid, so at least stick with it for that.

King Nickey

Yeh, I only had PS2 back in the day. Might have a another go for it, when Im back for weekend holidays from the army. And that will be in 2 weeks fml :(

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
A useful tip for CoM, at least for me, is never to use the cards individually if possible. Try to stock the cards and play with sleights, so that there's little chance of enemies breaking your cards (I know it's frustrating). Otherwise, if you prefer playing singles and if your CP is high enough. try to build your deck around 7's, 8's, and 9's, and whack away.

Trust me though, when you've learned Tornado / Mega Flare and your have the cards to pull them off, normal Heartless are a piece of cake. Also, Lethal Frame (I'm glad they fixed this! It was Lethal Flame in the PS2 version) and Sonic Blade work wonders against the Organization members, without which they can be a flaming pain, although still manageable.

EDIT: I beat the game again last night just because, and went through the credits. It was then that I learned that the instrumental music, March Caprice for Piano and Orchestra, is actually very, very beautiful. It somehow sounded as though I had just "graduated" from the game (it has this graduation feel to it) and triggered some kind of a nostalgia.

Last edited:

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Okay, Sora's shoes change color when you go up against the wall in Dark Depths(the keyhole place in HB)

Gram

Banned
Awards
A useful tip for CoM, at least for me, is never to use the cards individually if possible. Try to stock the cards and play with sleights, so that there's little chance of enemies breaking your cards (I know it's frustrating). Otherwise, if you prefer playing singles and if your CP is high enough. try to build your deck around 7's, 8's, and 9's, and whack away.

Trust me though, when you've learned Tornado / Mega Flare and your have the cards to pull them off, normal Heartless are a piece of cake. Also, Lethal Frame (I'm glad they fixed this! It was Lethal Flame in the PS2 version) and Sonic Blade work wonders against the Organization members, without which they can be a flaming pain, although still manageable.

EDIT: I beat the game again last night just because, and went through the credits. It was then that I learned that the instrumental music, March Caprice for Piano and Orchestra, is actually very, very beautiful. It somehow sounded as though I had just "graduated" from the game (it has this graduation feel to it) and triggered some kind of a nostalgia.

This^ the best two decks you can make for yourself in CoM is Lethal Flame and Tornado. Tornado is great for room clearing and leveling and lethal flame is like the ultimate boss sleight. Even repliku is easy with it. xD

Though I always tend to keep a third deck of nothing but attack cards for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back