• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So What's Kairi Been Up To?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Well, I haven't really found this specific topic in the forums yet, so I decided to make it here.

We all know that at the end of the secret movie in Birth by Sleep that Kairi stayed in the islands while Sora and Riku were traipsing all over the Sleeping Worlds. However, as revealed at the end of the Secret Episode in Birth by Sleep: Final Mix, Kairi can be seen over in Twilight Town alongside Hayner, Pence, and Olette in front of the mansion. That being said, it was also part of a project that, to the best of my knowledge, remains to be seen.

Then, of course, we have the secret ending of Dream Drop Distance where Riku brings Kairi in front of Master Yen Sid. The latter states that he has heard that she has become a keyblade wielder herself and wishes to instruct her in the ways of the keyblade.

What I would like to see elaborated here is this: what do you all think Kairi has been doing since Sora and Riku left to go to the Mysterious Tower? Did she stay exclusively on Destiny Islands or did she indeed somehow go to Twilight Town and meet up with the others (assuming that scene wasn't during II, which I kind of doubt, but is still possible). Has she been training even harder in regards to her proficiency with the keyblade? If she ended up going to Twilight Town, how did this happen? Was she dragged there by an incarnation of Xehanort? Did she somehow hitch a ride with someone who became wayword while traveling the world (Stitch, Cloud, possibly even Rinoa)?

Part of the reason I thought of this in the first place is due to how little of Kairi we have seen and what little development we have been shown hasn't really delved much into who she is. I thought that some of these questions might provide some interesting theories and speculation as to what she could be doing during the events of Dream Drop Distance.

So, questions, comments, thoughts? Fire away, fellow forum users.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
As much as I really wish the scene with her in Twilight Town happened after II, I really doubt it. (I still want to know how Yen Sid learned she's a Keyblade wielder, though). It's probably just an extended scene from KHII that would have been in BbSV2 (that we'll probably never see now). It could be a scene from III, though.

And personally, I'd like to believe that she's been training somewhat. This also probably isn't happening, but it's still weird to me how easily she accepts Sora and Riku leaving when she was so gung-ho about staying with them in II. Maybe she decided to let them go until she was strong enough to join them, and she'd meet up with them later? IDK.

Uhh... I also sort of hope she's starting to realize some things about herself, maybe. Perhaps in remembering that Xehanort cast her into the Lane Betweens, and realizing she makes up all the Light in the world and that type of thing? Maybe she's learning more about her PoH powers? Though I doubt that, too... Maybe she's had an Awakening between II and DDD's secret ending? That's possible? Especially if Yen Sid's suddenly recognized that she's a true wielder?

I'd also like to believe that she's had some interactions with Namine, and has maybe even seen some of her memories. Perhaps she's come to an understanding and camaraderie with her, like how Sora did with Roxas? This very well could have happened.

And I still think there's a chance she could have seen Roxas and/or Xion in Days (since Roxas even says he saw a red haired girl who looked like Xion in one of his diary entries), so perhaps she's remembering that, if she also saw him? Especially since now she's had a conversation with him and actually knows what he looks like, so it could stir that memory in her, if it's there to begin with.

She also could be making Riku a thalassa seashell charm or something. IDK.

(Also, though this probably won't happen--it especially didn't happen between KHII and DDD--I'd like to see Kairi try the telepathy thing with Sora again. If that's something they can learn to prefect, it could really come in handy if they need to contact each other in the future.)

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I think she just stayed on the islands and waited. Kairi's visit to TT I assume happened in the past when she first visited as all the scenes in BbSFM's secret ending all either happened in a time frame that already past, or was symbolic. I reckon Kairi was just as aware of her Keyblade status as everyone else so I don't think she put any effort to get stronger.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Well, for me, the reason that I thought that the scene in Twilight Town might have been after the events of II is because II didn't really give much in terms of what Kairi did over in her short stint in Twilight Town. When Sora returns and is talking to Pence, it just cuts back to her being in The Usual Spot with the Twilight Town gang with no indication that much time has passed, let alone any indication that Kairi might have wandered off anywhere. I could be wrong, though, so don't quote me on that.

And personally, I'd like to believe that she's been training somewhat. This also probably isn't happening, but it's still weird to me how easily she accepts Sora and Riku leaving when she was so gung-ho about staying with them in II. Maybe she decided to let them go until she was strong enough to join them, and she'd meet up with them later? IDK.

Uhh... I also sort of hope she's starting to realize some things about herself, maybe. Perhaps in remembering that Xehanort cast her into the Lane Betweens, and realizing she makes up all the Light in the world and that type of thing? Maybe she's learning more about her PoH powers? Though I doubt that, too... Maybe she's had an Awakening between II and DDD's secret ending? That's possible? Especially if Yen Sid's suddenly recognized that she's a true wielder?

I'd also like to believe that she's had some interactions with Namine, and has maybe even seen some of her memories. Perhaps she's come to an understanding and camaraderie with her, like how Sora did with Roxas? This very well could have happened.

And I still think there's a chance she could have seen Roxas and/or Xion in Days (since Roxas even says he saw a red haired girl who looked like Xion in one of his diary entries), so perhaps she's remembering that, if she also saw him? Especially since now she's had a conversation with him and actually knows what he looks like, so it could stir that memory in her, if it's there to begin with.

I was always under the impression that she was probably trying to train while they were away (maybe with Tidus, Selphie, and Wakka). The Awakening part, I suppose might have happened inbetween.

As for the interactions, that was something that I've always wanted to see (and stupidly left out of my OP now that I think about it). Namine still has a couple of skeletons in her closet regarding what she has done over the course of the series (by this, I mean Kairi most likely didn't know any of it when they initially merged). Seeing them interact and being familiar with the ability to do so would be interesting.

Also, I seem to have forgotten that Roxas mentioned a red-headed girl in his diaries. I'm trying to remember whether it stated that he physically saw her in Destiny Islands or through Sora's memories.

(Also, though this probably won't happen--it especially didn't happen between KHII and DDD--I'd like to see Kairi try the telepathy thing with Sora again. If that's something they can learn to prefect, it could really come in handy if they need to contact each other in the future.)

While she wasn't seen using the telepathy with Sora (a missed opportunity for 3D if you asked me), it is possible (though highly unlikely until proven otherwise) that she may have tried to contact him while he was falling asleep thanks to the machinations of Xemnas and Young Master Xehanort/Trollenort. However, she might have accidentally contacted Roxas instead since the two of them had a conversation before in Kingdom Hearts II during the Longest Prologue Ever. That being said, it's unlikely and nothing but speculation until shown otherwise.

I think she just stayed on the islands and waited. Kairi's visit to TT I assume happened in the past when she first visited as all the scenes in BbSFM's secret ending all either happened in a time frame that already past, or was symbolic. I reckon Kairi was just as aware of her Keyblade status as everyone else so I don't think she put any effort to get stronger.

The symbolism aspect was something I didn't have in mind, but now that you pointed it out, that could very well have been the case. After all, Nomura mentioned that Sora finding the Master Keeper on Destiny Islands was more symbolic (at least for now, anyways). At the very least, I still wanted an explanation for that when Kairi was shown over there, but apparently, that was supposed to have been answered in Birth by Sleep: Volume II. Alas and alack, that game may never see the light of day outside of Square Enix headquarters.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Edit: I also agree with you about it being weird that Kairi somehow went to the mansion during II, when it seemed like Axel appeared to kidnap her right after she got done telling who she was and stuff, but whatever, I guess.

@kuraudoVII If I remember correctly, Roxas said to have seen Kairi (though of course he didn't know her name) one of the many times he went to the Island to pick up seashells for Xion when she was in a coma. I also seem to recall him thinking about asking Axel about her, too.

Either that, or it was on the same day as the Snarl of Memories cutscene (which Roxas wasn't even sure if it really happened or not). I'm pretty sure it was one of those two instances that he mentioned seeing a girl who looked like Xion, but I'll have to go read the diary entries again to be sure:)

Another thing that could have happened while the boys were away (which let's face it: didn't happen, but I'm just going to pretend it did, anyway, to at least give Kairi something) is perhaps her trying to write another letter? I mean, the last time she did it it led to the Door to Light being found and opened. Perhaps she'd want to see if she had that sort of power again (though it really wasn't through her or the letter that did it, but maybe she wouldn't know that and try it to be sure)?

Admittedly, this is all a little silly. But at least she'd be a bit more than a plot device, if she were to do things like this (I swear that I--and a lot of the other fans--actually write Kairi better than the actual creative staff does a lot of the time). And it would also give her more of a personality, if it turned out she wanted to be a writer or something (that's my headcanon for her, actually, based on certain things we've seen), but I digress.

But still... I'm right where you are, wishing that Nomura would give Kairi nice little instances, like the manga did in having her escape her cell and stuff. But Nomura seems to have no interest in doing things like this, and thus Kairi is (sadly) the useless, personality-less, throw away character that we all know. -le sigh-

If nothing else, though, I assume that Kairi is the smart one out of the trio (as most of the fandom does), as she's the only one who's still been going to school through everything. Here's hoping that something like this is implemented in III, and that she can help along certain plot points by being the book smart one.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Someone had to cover for Sora & Riku while they were gone again. Seriously I sometimes wonder how they explain themselves to the 'rents.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Someone had to cover for Sora & Riku while they were gone again. Seriously I sometimes wonder how they explain themselves to the 'rents.

LOL, so true.

I`m assuming that Sora and Riku either

1. Told their folks everything
2. Just told them they were going on a trip for an undetermined amount of time. The parents in turn would be OK with that for the sake of the plot.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Over the course of Chain of Memories and most of Kingdom Hearts 2, everyone forgot Sora. Just to remind you guys.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
And it wasn't most of KH2, it was just during Roxas's prologue. When they remembered Sora they'd probably be like OH, yeah, he's been gone a long time!

Anyway, Sora and Riku did go home. I'm sure they figured something out to tell their parents.

As for Kairi. She's been chilling at the island. Making letters and good luck charms. You know. Little Kairi things. I'm of the mind that Kairi was investigating Twilight Town in KH2. There'd be no reason for them to go back to the mansion at this point, really. They know what's in there.

In any case, wherever she was, Riku knew where to find her. So I don't think it was anything exciting.

unbound_word

Well, Riku did cause the islands to wind up destroyed, and he attempted to kill everyone for power. I dunno how I would explain THAT.

As for Kairi, maybe she was training to get better at her Keyblade. After the exam, when Sora goes to Traverse Town to thank the Spirits, Yen Sid speaks to the stars about Xehanort's latest plans and they tell him about Kairi. Riku sends him to pick her up, and maybe he tells her about what happened in the Sleeping Realm or he tells her she'd know about everything upon meeting Yen Sid.

Then, maybe she goes to Twilight Town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back