• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So, what's gonna happen to Dream Drop Distance now?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
It's more of a question as to which approach to a DDD port would be the most profitable; it's not out of the question for a Re:DDD to sell more after aging a bit.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
It's more of a question as to which approach to a DDD port would be the most profitable; it's not out of the question for a Re:DDD to sell more after aging a bit.
It's really not, most game units are sold in the first two weeks after launch, keep also in mind that DDD is not available as a digital download so SE's profit already shrunk because most sold copies are probably used games by now.
The main argument is portability: How long it will take and how much will it cost. That's why a playable Re:358/2 Days was not developed, not because it was not old enough (it was) but because it would've taken too much time to rebuild it mostly from scratch.
Dream Drop Distance is different because it's "just" a slightly more advanced Birth by Sleep with touch controls and in contrast to KH all original ressources are probably still available.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
The "It's still on a current platform" argument doesn't really hold up imo since it's not a given that everyone owns a handheld whereas it is much more likely that the majority of KH fans own at least a Sony console seeing as how that's where the main series started on.

It holds up because it's on a current gen platform. DDD is incentive to buy the platform, and it's likely to stay that for a while to increase both the 3DS and DDD sales. I don't see them re-releasing this soon. Square has KHX[chi], KHII.5, and KHIII to contend with. There's plenty of KH titles in progress right now.

I can see them treating DDD like they treated CoM. With KHII Final Mix+, releasing Re:CoM. If there's a KHIII FM (likely, considering KH's history) they could work in Re:DDD. Seeing as it's essentially the prologue chapter for KHIII, I think it'd be fitting for it to be paired with a KHIII FM+! *u*

Zven

All the games that have been getting remastered were all from older consoles/handhelds (PS2, DS, PSP), whereas DDD is on the 3DS, which is still the most up-to-date handheld device from Nintendo.

I don't see any reason for DDD to be remastered on a major console at all. Its use of 3D visuals and touchscreen gameplay are just fine on the 3DS, although it'd be interesting to see what they could do on the Wii U.

Well the point of putting it on consoles is to have all the games in the same system, like a lot of people are saying it makes no sense to hype the way to KH3 with these HD remixes and leave out the closest one to KH3. That's why I also believe both HD remixes will be coming to PS4 before KH3.

As for the game being on a current gen system, again, it's happened with Resident Evil Revelations and now more recently with Assassin's Creed Liberations HD, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I just want to play this game very badly, all I can do now (which is actually what I am doing) is watching the cutscenes of the game.

Nayru's Love

Awards
It's really not, most game units are sold in the first two weeks after launch, keep also in mind that DDD is not available as a digital download so SE's profit already shrunk because most sold copies are probably used games by now.
I'm talking about raising demand for a product by using age; KH3 wouldn't be as hyped as it is today if the first trailer was revealed three years ago.

The main argument is portability: How long it will take and how much will it cost. That's why a playable Re:358/2 Days was not developed, not because it was not old enough (it was) but because it would've taken too much time to rebuild it mostly from scratch.
Dream Drop Distance is different because it's "just" a slightly more advanced Birth by Sleep with touch controls and in contrast to KH all original ressources are probably still available.
It's hard to compare DDD with Days because the former has a much better chance of working as a standalone; about as equal as Re:CoM, I'd say, to which even that wasn't initially a standalone.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
I can see them treating DDD like they treated CoM. With KHII Final Mix+, releasing Re:CoM. If there's a KHIII FM (likely, considering KH's history) they could work in Re:DDD. Seeing as it's essentially the prologue chapter for KHIII, I think it'd be fitting for it to be paired with a KHIII FM+! *u*
That's another possibility, I give you that. But SquareEnix itself has changed a lot since KHIIFM+, back then remakes or ports to different platforms were not that common (although SE itself always did it with Final Fantasy) but look at the scene now: they are everywhere.
They probably have a contract with Nintendo of some sorts but even Kingdom Hearts III isn't a Sony exclusive anymore so everything could happen. I'm also not saying it will happen soon, but after HD 2.5 ReMIX and before KHIII seems to be the most logical release window. Again, we will see when the credits of next HD remaster roll.

I'm talking about raising demand for a product by using age; KH3 wouldn't be as hyped as it is today if the first trailer was revealed three years ago.
Re-releases never get as much hype as a new game, Re:Chain of Memories wasn't hyped, Re:coded wasn't hyped, the HD ReMixes are also not really hyped, everything is pretty much known already, so I don't know why it would be different with DDD.

It's hard to compare DDD with Days because the former has a much better chance of working as a standalone; about as equal as Re:CoM, I'd say, to which even that wasn't initially a standalone.
Why? Both games were released on a Nintendo handheld platform. I know many people who got into the series with Days, this will probably also be true for DDD, I myself started with CoM.:wink: Days was cleary limited by the hardware of the DS but so was CoM. A full fledged remake would also have worked, heck the multiplayer part would have been a great selling point.

Nayru's Love

Awards
Re-releases never get as much hype as a new game, Re:Chain of Memories wasn't hyped, Re:coded wasn't hyped, the HD ReMixes are also not really hyped, everything is pretty much known already, so I don't know why it would be different with DDD.
The point isn't that there's as much demand as new games, but that the demand may be there because of a time gap. More importantly, Re:CoM and Re:Coded are terrible examples: Re:CoM wasn't a port, but a 3D remake. Re:Coded was a completely new game to audiences outside of Japan. With time passing, DDD can be reinvented (or at least "new" again), but it should die first.

And the HD remixes definitely have been in demand years before they were even revealed.

Why? Both games were released on a Nintendo handheld platform. I know many people who got into the series with Days, this will probably also be true for DDD, I myself started with CoM.:wink: Days was cleary limited by the hardware of the DS but so was CoM. A full fledged remake would also have worked, heck the multiplayer part would have been a great selling point.
Comparing Days to DDD is like comparing Days to BBS, to which BBS clearly had more time and effort put into it. CoM had the "advantage" of being 2D originally, so it wasn't as hard to reinvent it as it would have been to reinvent Days.

Last edited:

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
The point isn't that there's as much demand as new games, but that the demand may be there because of a time gap. More importantly, Re:CoM and Re:Coded are terrible examples: Re:CoM wasn't a port, but a 3D remake. Re:Coded was a completely new game to audiences outside of Japan. With time passing, DDD can be reinvented (or at least "new" again), but it should die first.
I know what you're saying, it's basically that the people who already bought DDD wouldn't be interested in a remake/port if it comes to soon and with just a few changes. If you were talking about a DDD Final Mix on the 3DS I would agree with you, that is something that only really works in Japan (hence the lack of the Final Mixes here).
But remakes/ports are never only for those players, they are mostly for a new audience like you pointed out with Re:coded yourself, or the HD Remixes (or any other HD remake) which are also aimed at gamers who didn't play the originals back then.
There is no real in-depth interview with a publisher about this topic and I don't think there is a survey neither, so I can't prove my point but if fan demand is everything that it would take than we would have a Final Fantasy VII remake by now.

Comparing Days to DDD is like comparing Days to BBS, to which BBS clearly had more time and effort put into it. CoM had the "advantage" of being 2D originally, so it wasn't as hard to reinvent it as it would have been to reinvent Days.
I don't think you're doing Days enough justice here, the game was in development for over two years and I think from a technical standpoint it's amazing what SE could pull of on the weak hardware. It has also sold more units in the first weeks than DDD and more than 1.22 million units worldwide by now. I agree that there is much to be desired from a gameplay and even story perspective (personally I think it's the weakest in the whole series) but with enough effort they could have made a great remake with it.

Tetsujin

It holds up because it's on a current gen platform. DDD is incentive to buy the platform

It's not though because at this point, whoever hadn't bought a 3DS for KH3D when it came out is not very likely to buy one now. The important sales numbers are within the first few weeks of release. Whatever trickles in afterwards is rather negligible.

And of course they are not releasing this soon. If anything, this would be in line after 2.5, my best guess would be sometime in 2015. By then, the game would be about three years old. Which is another point I would like to address because many using the "too recent" argument argue from a standpoint of how old the game is *right now*

I don't think anyone is expecting the game to release at this very moment or even before or alongside 2.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back