• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So we know YMX's Identity!... Or maybe not...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
This is obviously subject to change soon depending on new information/translations, of course.

Anyway, wanted to make a topic with a bunch of analysis/meta for the revelations in DDD. Don't really have time right now though, but wanted to make this topic because it just popped into my mind.

So YMX is, well, YMX, right? Just Xehanort from the past?
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Isn't it weird how from what we've seen there's no big reveal scene for YMX? Who he is is mostly implied through dialogue. And while it seems like he's really just young Master Xehanort, there are a few lingering doubts.

For starters, the whole time travel thing.
The mechanics of time travel haven't exactly been revealed yet, but so far we know that you must (from my understanding):
- Not have a body
- Only go to a time (and perhaps place) where you existed in the past (not sure about the future, kind of doubtful)

Now, here's the thing. Ansem seems to be the time traveler here, since he's the one that went back to inform YMX and lacks a body. And yet... why is YMX the one, in the final fight, who gets time related abilities? Can YMX time travel? It seems that he might be able to. But... he has a body... how is that possible?

Or does he have a body?
And now on to my second point:
Vanitas.

Remember? He was shown alongside YMX, basically spelling out that YMX had his heart?
What happened? Vanitas has not been seen at all the rest of the game. Why just show him that once and never mention him again?

Recall MX's plans. To "Xehanortify" people (or if you're a fan of the ol' terminology, creating Horcruxes).
With that in mind is it possible that YMX is Vanitasnort?.

Think about it. Vanitas does not have a body, it was destroyed by Ven. Say he somehow is capable of surviving the fight with Ven. Now he's just a heart. Sort of like Ansem. Who could time travel.
And unlike Xigbar, who's only at a stage where he's "half-Xehanort," Vanitas has advanced completely to being a full Xehanort, looking like a 15 year old version of him. He can take on a form without possessing a vessel because he's in the RoS.

Now there is one problem with this. In the scene where YMX and Sora are on DI, YMX speaks as if he is Xehanort (eg saying that Ansem is him). There is a simple work around for this, though, namely that, I imagine, when the seeds are transformed into Xehanorts, they either share memories in common (connections similar to that between Sora/Roxas/Xion), or copies of those memories are made. As it seems to suggest from Xigbar, they become less like themselves. I imagine they start to forget who they were.

But let's say YMX is Vanitasnort. So what?
Well, for starters, he's still alive bear in mind (he left with the rest of the Xehanorts). So there's still time to find out more about him.

And I think that's what we'll be doing in BbSv2, which I believe is hinted at in the secret ending. "The darkness awakens." Why would it say that for YMX? Since when was he asleep? YMX wasn't. Vanitas was. And I'm guessing he finds a way back into the RoL (possessing someone?) and.. well, goes time traveling!

A while ago I said if BbSv2 really does span the amount of time it does, from BbS to after KH2, that it would need some kind of narrative cohesion, a way of tying everything together, and one of the few ways that would be possible is time travel. So basically Vanitasnort's time jumping will serve as the narrative backdrop of the game. And while it takes place after DDD (and may have some post DDD scenes, like Kairi at the mansion), it is technically set across the entire series and I imagine will fill in bits of info here and there as a way to "reconnect" kingdom hearts.

Or maybe YMX is just YMX. 8D

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Wow, another Grass-theory.

And one I can go along very well with.

Young MX also has the exact same battle stance as Vanitas (The one the "normal" MX uses is similar but more lax, Vanitas' and Young MX's are more focused like Riku's)

Vanitas being capable of surviving the final fight in BBS wouldn't be that farfetched either as Ventus 1st rejected the fusion of their hearts, 2nd it was stated the destruction of the X-blade would destroy their hearts, but since it was incomplete it "only" badly maimed their hearts.
Vanitas already had the golden Xehanort-eyes (heck, he was with MX for four years, enough time for some "Xehanort"-contamination) so while Ven's wounded heart sought refuge with Sora's, Vanitas's went (if voluntary or not is subject to debate) to Xehanort.

That YMX speaks to Sora on DI like he is Xehanort and your explanation for it makes also full sense. Vanitas' heart is practically overtaken by Xehanort's power, controlled by whatever exactly of Xehanort is in him. In essence, one could say that Vanitas' self/spirit (I don't know how Xigbar/Xemnas called it when they explained stuff to Sora) is a prisoner in its own heart.

Samhain

Bronze Member
young mx is just that. Xehanort.

there not going to have a bigger villain over take Xehanort since this isXehanort's saga. its like ppl saying how isa was young xehanort. well he was not. vanitas is not a bigger villain nor even a main villain. he appeared in 1 game.

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY

there not going to have a bigger villain over take Xehanort since this isXehanort's saga. its like ppl saying how isa was young xehanort. well he was not. vanitas is not a bigger villain nor even a main villain. he appeared in 1 game.
Who said he's gonna overtake Xehanort in terms of the bigger villain? If anything, Xehanort Taking over Vanitas's body only makes him more villainous, in my opinion.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

You're mixing up things, no one said that Vanitas is a bigger villain than Xehanort, quite the contrary. The gist here is that this Young MX is actually Vanitas' heart taken over by Xehanort, making him one of the thirteen Xehanorts.

He can't be Xehanort. We already have one of those.

To be frank, we have 13 "Xehanorts" more or less...

Mr. Wilhelm

Also Sprach Zarathustra
Website
www.animus-sorrow.org
The only problem with that theory, and that we could see that Young MX from the past and the one we meet have exactly the same face. When Xehanort possesses someone, if Terra is any indication, the body retains some physical detail of who they were before.

Here, Vanitas would have absolutely nothing left.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
The only problem with that theory, and that we could see that Young MX from the past and the one we meet have exactly the same face. When Xehanort possesses someone, if Terra is any indication, the body retains some physical detail of who they were before.

Here, Vanitas would have absolutely nothing left.

That could still be argued against with Grass's point of Vanitas simply being completely taken over. Terranort, Braig and Isa all have the excuse of being turned into Heartless and Nobodies in-between BBS and KH2, thus possibly halting or slowing down the process of Xehanortification, whereas Vanitas' status is pretty much entirely unknown at the moment. He may have been healing in the Realm of Sleep all this time, being overtaken by the Xehanortification and thus eventually completed his transformation into YMX/Vanitasnort.

Crystal

Silver Member
^ Yeah. Considering he has similiar battle style with Vanitas.

Crazy Mario

The One, The Only, Jumpman!
*Claps* Well done, well done! This theory is literally perfect! This has little to no flaws at all and it's all been hinted at so accurately by Square too! This is definitely my prediction as of now.

d_fallen_1

Here's a little what I got from this: Considering that Vanitas is half of Ven's heart it may be an assumption that after the battle for the x-blade Vanitas became incapable of living on his own as well. Similar to how Ven came to Sora's heart for shelter perhaps Vanitas too came to Xehanort for said comfort only to be overwhelmed and consumed in Xehanort's heart utterly destroying his will and becoming a practical clone of Xehanort's younger self. As said before, he is merely a heart but a weak and defenseless one at that. So in the sense, the transformation was instantaneous like what had occurred to Terra when he was possessed by Xehanort's heart. Whereas Braig and Isa accepted the darkness but weren't never really possessed making the transformation slugged, and when they became nobodies pretty much went to a grinding halt. Notice I said "possessed" for Terra/Vanitas and "Accepted" with Isa/Braig.

The term Horcrux is true in the similarities, but so is indoctrination that is featured in Mass Effect trilogy.

Am I getting this right?

Awards
That could still be argued against with Grass's point of Vanitas simply being completely taken over. Terranort, Braig and Isa all have the excuse of being turned into Heartless and Nobodies in-between BBS and KH2, thus possibly halting or slowing down the process of Xehanortification, whereas Vanitas' status is pretty much entirely unknown at the moment. He may have been healing in the Realm of Sleep all this time, being overtaken by the Xehanortification and thus eventually completed his transformation into YMX/Vanitasnort.

Pretty much yeah.
While it isn't 100% comparable, it should still be noted that Ansem's possession of Riku lead to a form that looked absolutely nothing like Riku (when Riku's heart was ejected). So basically if their hearts have completely turned into Xehanort hearts, then there should be nothing left of them physically.

Also:
Picture64.png

Looks to be a mix of MX's Keyblade, No Name, and ah yes, Void Gear.
Could just be like, a cog theme for the clocks and whatnot, but not sure.

Crazy Mario

The One, The Only, Jumpman!
You know, maybe this is why there was a Vanitas Remnant. Maybe it was supposed to represent that deep within YX, there's a remnant of Vanitas somewhere and that the two characters are connected.

.:Mega:.

Awards
This is actually a pretty solid theory, all things considered. Especially when you look at his Keyblade... >|a

Another possibility is that he's what Sora would be after being Xehassimilated, though. I mean, he knows so much about Sora's adventures that it would almost make sense.

Samhain

Bronze Member
Vanitas doesn't even have a body. how would Young MX be "Vanitas" if young mx existed long before Vanitas came into existence? its pretty clear that the young mx turned into geezernort anyway. why is it when mx started to come into the game Young MX just "Disappeared".
besides seeing how MX himself wrote reports even when he was young as seen in BBS i highly doubt that's "Vanitasnort".

and for those saying how young mx has more of a stance of vanitas and riku are overexaggerating. Young MX stance is more wider than Riku's and Vanitas anyway and looks more like MX. for all we know MX as he started getting over just put his body a little less far apart. Besides vanitas prob inherited that stance from Xehanort anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back