• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► So I'm having a serious dispute with my university...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
So I've had my college plans laid out for a while now. Take this class here, take these over the summer, all leading me to my eventual graduation. Unfortunately, I messed up once and got stuck with an extra semester. Okay, no biggie, it's just a semester, happens to a lot of people.

I'm now tackling a bigger problem though, and I'm not sure what to do about it. My school offers us one free class at a nearby state college each semester if we wish to take the class there. I had never heard of this until a student informed me at a school event, and they said that they had taken one the previous summer. I decided to look into this, because I needed to take a class over this summer anyway. If they would pay for it for free, then why not do it?

So I went to our Registrar's Office and asked for the summer class form. She had to dig around for it, telling me that she thought they'd been put away, and then she gave me the paper. The paper required my signature, among three other signatures from different higher-ups I'd never even heard of. I went on my way for this little scavenger hunt, and after getting everyone to sign it that needed to, I handed in the paperwork. This was a little more than a month ago.

Tuesday, I still hadn't heard about whether my paperwork went through. I called the school, and after waiting a couple minutes, I found out that they just had my paperwork sitting in a folder. They told me how sorry they were, and that they would get it all sent out and contact me within a day. I received an email that night that everything went through fine. I then received a phone call the next day that there was a problem.

So basically, they tried to tell me that they don't pay for students to take summer classes anymore, and that my form shouldn't have went through. They basically gave me the old "nothing we can do about it", and tried to send me on my way. There are some major issues I have with this:

1. Everyone signed off on this summer form, and it got the stamp of approval for what felt like 30 seconds before someone said "we messed up." Before signing anything, I read what I'm about sign. Three different higher-ups gave their signature of approval for this. Not one, three. The form was dated for this specific class, and I clearly wrote summer in the space of when I'd be attending.

2. I'm not registered at the college this class is taking place in. When I spoke to them about it, they said that my school was supposed to take care of that after I handed all of my paper work in. The class starts in about a week and a half, and I'm pretty sure it is past the registration date. Although in that college's defense, I attended it before my current school, and they were always willing to do what they could to help. This may end up falling on me having to depend on them alone to get into this course.

3. I was led to believe for more than a month that this was fine to go through. They gave me the summer form when I asked for the summer form. Going along with point 1, nobody acted like it was a problem when I asked for the signatures. Now they are telling me last minute that it won't work, because somebody left my paperwork in a folder.

4. I know somebody else that they are allowing to take this class over the summer. They were giving her the same shenanigans, and she "worked something out" with them. I brought this up to the VPA, and they simply said that there was a special circumstance with her form that allowed them to make an exception for her. A mess up on their part. They said that she had an old form, one that wasn't supposed to be available anymore, and that my form was different. Well, that's a croc. I copied my form off for my girlfriend and her friend because they were both interested. The friend is the one they are letting take the class. The form literally came from me.

This all culminates into the school leaving me a little over a week to try and register at another college for the summer, sign up for the class, and manage to get a little over $300 to pay for it. If I can't swing it, I'm stuck taking out loans for another $20,000 to go to this freaking school for another semester. I brought up all of my points and issues with the faculty members in charge, and they left me with "Write out an appeal. That's all you can do." Well, I guess I'll write out and appeal to the school stating everything I'd already told them, and hope for the best, but I'm already feeling that letter of rejection coming a second time through.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I have never had to deal with this sort of thing so all I can say is fight. Fight and make it very clear that they are responsible for this situation, not you. Do not let this go until the class starts.

D

Deleted member 36435

Yea, I've had to deal with a lot of shit from my school. The best you can do is not be a push over, which is what they want. Tell them that you are paying a large sum of money and you will not be treated like shit. Speak with the Dean of Students DIRECTLY about it, don't send an email. Show up to their office. Everyday. Until it is taken care of.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Beyond terrible. I wouldn't know what to do in your kind of situation, because I'm not a college student, but you should try to show proof of both summer forms if you can. At least that's what comes to mind and hope it helps, even a little. Or better yet, whoever was in charge of your summer form being checked out and misplaced in a folder should be held responsible as well, when you speak to whoever is higher up in the college you go to. However you go about it, it's clear they're in the wrong in all of this.

Anyhow, I really wish you the best of luck, Max, and it works out in your favor. :3

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
I have never had to deal with this sort of thing so all I can say is fight. Fight and make it very clear that they are responsible for this situation, not you. Do not let this go until the class starts.

Pretty much this. Don't roll over and let this pass, especially since you got the green light from three higher ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back