• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► So, I just finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
This is something I've been planning on doing for awhile. I watched the original series years ago, and I always knew about the storyline split and had been curious to delve into the manga plotline at some point. With the announcement of Brotherhood I decided to hold off for the animated series to have a more direct comparison, but eventually I forgot about it. Finally, I was reminded about the series by our own administrator Silh, and so I embarked on my journey through the series in a couple days. I told Silh that I'd let him know what I thought of it, and figured I'd do a moderate-sized review of the series when I finished. This was the result:

So, now that I've finished Brotherhood, I can say for sure that the original series was objectively better. There are small aspects of Brotherhood that are really cool which are not present in the original series, especially in the department of having big monumental "epic" moments. However, as a complete series, Brotherhood is severely inferior to the original series in a lot of aspects. After consideration of the "ending" of Brotherhood as a whole, obviously it's easy to see why a lot of people could still really like it because it feels more "satisfying" of a conclusion to the audience. But to me that doesn't really make it better or even really an excusable comparison.

And don't get me wrong, my preference is after careful consideration of precisely WHY I felt the way I do about the original series. It's not simply a matter of "the one you saw first you like better". From very early on into the split in storyline I found myself often perturbed by small aspects of the Brotherhood storyline which only grew as the series progressed. Small things which, at their very core, feel so alien to the very tone and mythos of the series. I'll try to break down my feelings pretty simply in a list:

1. Philosopher's Stones. Brotherhood throws these around like god damn candy. For an ancient, holy, epic artifact of pure legend which embodies the very soul of the human condition and the sin of man...as soon as nearly a single one of these shows up in Brotherhood, suddenly they're a complete commodity. This very nearly ruins even the sickening shock or horror of the method in which they’re produced: human sacrifice. We feel HOLY SHIT HOW HORRIBLE about it for all of a couple episodes, and then these things are around nearly EVERYWHERE. Bad guys are fueled by it, zombies are fueled by it, the military has barrels of them, the main antagonist can literally shit them out of his head. I don't know about you, but as a viewer the whole "epicness" of the true power that we should feel from this material is completely lost over time.

2. Homunculi. As both individual characters, and as plot devices, these creatures are objectively pretty inferior in Brotherhood. The original series crafts an origin around these creatures that is unnerving, yet sympathetic, and fits completely into past events and ties to characters in the series in such a fashion that is truly a "HOLY SHIT" moment when it is unveiled what they are. In Brotherhood, they're packs of flesh that have a philosopher's stone jammed in them which serve as monsters to fight. Not only that, but even in knowing WHAT they are, the original series even manages to add an extra level of depth that continues on deep into the series of WHO they are. The homunculi themselves, as personalities and as characters who exist and take part in the story, are objectively inferior in Brotherhood. The only exception would be Greed, who is a character that I genuinely felt was portrayed and fleshed out as a character in Brotherhood in a very touching and exciting manner. However, when you compare the characters of Lust, Wrath, Sloth, and Envy in the original series who were ALL extremely deep, satisfying characters....it's hardly a trade-off.

3. Alchemy. The portrayal of Alchemy in Brotherhood by the end of the series becomes insulting nearly to the level of my feelings of the Philosopher's stones. The very explanation of how alchemy works in Brotherhood is insulting. Like...this nigh-magic spiritual force which has severe binding laws and principals, requires arcane knowledge and ingenuity, revolving around the formation of geometric scripts and language....is fueled by god damn tectonic plates shifting beneath the earth? Are you shitting me? Why does energy released from the earth give a shit about whether something is in a circle or not, or if you draw a sun/half-moon picture with the right amount of materials to represent that you want to turn this chair into a wooden dildo. Like, really? The original series explanation of Alchemy is actually pretty damn shocking, especially when the true concept of "equivalent exchange" is revealed, and retains the sense that it is this powerful spiritual force that is truly beyond our comprehension.

‎4. The Military. This shit got EYE-ROLLING bad in Brotherhood. Like, the whole shadow-government conspiracy shit was god damn TIRED by the end of this shit. The Military wasn't exactly angels in the original series, but the level of messed-up taking place was a level of believable corruption. In Brotherhood, this shit is a motherfuking 400 year long conspiracy that the entire staff of this great shadow government has been perpetrating and we're just supposed to be like "oh yeah, I get that literally an entire government just sits around for 30 years being the evilest motherfukers known to man ever, but this isnt apparent until about the last 6 months of shit going down". In the original series, the military were evil shits because they were doing evil military shit things that a military would do. Kill some brown people, conquer some shit, do weird ass science to make weapons. The only supernaturally evil power was the Fuhror, and his influence on the military was clever manipulation of power that no one saw coming. In Brotherhood, the military was god damn Lex Luthor and the League of Shadows. Only the League of Shadows also had zombies. oh and don't even get me started on this

5. Zombie "mannequins". The series turns into a god damn zombie apocalypse movie for the last 10 entire episodes. Are you serious.

5. Hoenheim of Light. Honestly, this is one thing where I could give a toss-up to either series about who does the character better. I think both series do an excellent job of portraying the true tragedy of this character in unique ways,. I think by the end of Brotherhood, his final scene is what would very nearly give me a final nod to Brotherhood's....except for this shit:

6. Motherfuking deus ex machina. This shit. This motherfuking shit right here oh my god. I've said at the beginning of this that I can understand why I was told "wait for the ending, shit gets real", and how by the end people could really be hype for Brotherhood. And I can see that. I can see that because the ending is really "epic". But that’s sort of a big ass problem. It's "epic" on a level completely disproportional to the entire series, and it's actually completely ridiculous. The show becomes Dragon Ball Z in about 2 episodes flat. Suddenly the entire planet is a god damn spirit ball, the moon is a giant eyeball which is God, the main antagonist becomes god damn Kefka, and suddenly lasers and shit are flying everywhere. But that doesn't necessarily get to the title of this section: the deus ex machina. Without any prompt or nearly any satisfying foreshadowing to the viewer except for 1 scene, Hoenheim of light has been pulling some M Night Shamalan shit this entire series and planted some blood seeds around the planet and now all of these souls are just flying around like Captain Planet and INSTANTLY SAVE THE DAY THE SECOND THAT THE CRAZY BAD THING HAPPENED. The show doesn't even give you a second to feel any horrifying weight of witnessing the antagonist's evil plans following through and, as far as we're concerned, succeeding in killing absolutely fuking everyone. The second that this pretty epic "oh my god, did the bad guy just win?" feeling washes over you, Hoenheim of Light is like SURPRISE BITCH, I DID THIS THING THAT MAKES THAT THING YOU DID NOT WORK. There is no satisfying overcoming of a seemingly impossible loss, there is just an equally seemingly impossible rewind button that is instantly pressed. To put it in perspective: what if halfway through Final Fantasy 6 when Kefka succeeds in acquiring god power and shatters the planet into pieces....the second that happened, suddenly Cid shows up and says "Unbeknownst to everyone here, I invented a machine that uses Earth energy to....pull the Earth back together!" and then the final boss battle happens RIGHT THERE. Final Fantasy 6 would suck because that right there is some bullshit. The big problem here, as well, is the fact that it wasn't even the main characters that accomplished this great triumph. For all intents and purposes, Ed and Al lost. They had a plan, with the reverse transmutation circle, and they actually lost and DIED failing to actually perform it. But then a character, who is not the main character of the series, hits the reset button and we're supposed to feel great about it?

‎7. Final battle. The final battle of Brotherhood is where I really want to hit home this "Brotherhood becomes DBZ" point to you. The final battle of FMA: Brotherhood is literally Goku vs Freiza on planet Namek. So, after Hoenheim of Light's deus ex machina, let me remind you that he whips this gem of information out: "I have foiled your plans, you have absorbed the power of God but now I sucked out your body's ability to contain it, so you're going to fail to contain all the power you have, you are going to explode............in about 5 minutes". This is something that profoundly confused me when this great turn-around on the bad guy took place. Essentially it is: We have completely nullified all the power that you just acquired....except you still have all of it. Just, you know, for about 5-10 minutes. And then the bad guy is apparently a God powered by Duracell, because he hops up and starts sapping souls to apparently recharge his batteries. Then for some reason he STOPS attacking people because they start firing bullets at him, and instead stands there looking badass while infinitely blocking attacks...because...somehow this is will benefit him. Instead of flying off with the power he just demonstrated having, he stands there and is like "wait guys, I gotta let you guys know that I'm a god". And after the initial 15 seconds of his plan being "I need to kill some humans to recharge my stone", he decides to STOP killing humans because like 100 soldiers show up to shoot bullets at him... at which point he doesn't feel the need to reap this new supply of jesus-juice? So then Goku shows up and gets pissed off because Freiza killed Krillin (see: Greed), so he goes Super Saiyan and the bad guy turns to dust while everyone surrounds the fight in a big circle and CHEERS HIM ON~

8. Getting their bodies back. The way this played out in Brotherhood just felt....so incredibly dumb to me. Like, the transitive property element of human transmutation was laughable when I heard "Brother sacrificed his arm for my soul, that means I should sacrifice my soul and then his arm should plop right back into place, amirite guys?". Even though at the basic core, what Ed does to get their bodies back is thematically the same, the implications of the act are much deeper in the original series. In Brotherhood, human transmutation is some kind of like "Here, let me pop into the spirit realm real quick LOL" thing where Ed does it just to go talk to the Mass Effect 3 ghost child and pass a riddle....which, apparently the solution to the riddle is FRIENDSHIP IS ALL THE MAGIC YOU NEED~. In the original series, the laws of equivalent exchange are truly abided and come full circle as Ed....literally exchanges his body and soul for the sake of his brothers. It's fuking heart breaking, and it's god damn beautiful. He made a promise to his brother that he would get him his body back, and if he has to sacrifice the chance to ever see his brother again for that, he would do it. In Brotherhood, 10 different people mention to Ed that literally at any point in ending half of the series he could pick up one of the 1000 philosopher stones that are shitting around and instantly fix what they've been striving for. I have no idea how the sacrifice of "cant do alchemy anymore" is supposed to in any way feel meaningful or impactful to the viewer, especially when for all intents and purposes everything is god damn roses and rainbows aside from that fact. The ending of the original series is tragic, but has a melancholy beauty to it that actually leaves a mixture of emotions for the viewer that are evidence of a story, as a whole, being done RIGHT for how it's ending could leave you feeling.

9. Final point: Theme. Overall, the simplest way I could summarize how I felt about the differences between these two series is their sense of tone and theme. I would be hard pressed to think that even if I saw FMA: Brotherhood first that I would somehow think any differently than what I've written here. This fact stems from the basic elements of knowing the context of your universe, setting a tone and theme, and then following through with it. I'm sure many people would agree that Fullmetal Alchemist, as a basic premise, is a pretty darkly delivered concept. The story takes place in a setting which is, essentially, an alternate universe nazi germany where the discovery of alchemy supplemented certain technological progresses. The theme of the series follows elements of sacrifice, abomination of nature, the human condition, the philosophy of a soul, playing god....and all of this plays out through some pretty bloody happenings. The difference I find between these two series, is that one embraces the chance to truly delve headfirst into the darkest depths of these themes to try and explore something gut-wrenching and raw. The other series is a japanese anime. From where the series splits, the original series follows through into a story of the sacrifices made for love, the true sins of man, the monster people become pursuing their human desires, and throws in some good ol' fashion rape babies for good measure. From where the series splits, Brotherhood introduces pandas, huge DBZ monster fights, comic-relief pig/gorilla/etc chimeras, and 3 times an episode someone makes the SAME short joke at Ed and his face gets cartoony and big. This is why to me, and I think anyone who pays attention, it's so easy appreciate the original series on a level that transcends the source material. It crafts a story and explanation that are altogether EXTREMELY more satisfying, gripping, and raw than the manga series...and frankly, it manages to make more SENSE both logically and (more importantly) thematically.

Brotherhood is a pretty good anime series. But it's no Fullmetal Alchemist.

Last edited:

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
As someone who (for various reasons that are long and boring) hasn't seen either yet but wants too, would you still recommend Brotherhood as something to watch?

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
If you had the choice of which to watch? Original series is a more satisfying series. Brotherhood is a more satisfying ending to a series (literally only the final episode of the series)

To put it in perspective, Brotherhood has a bit of "Dragonball Z Kai" element into it, in that certain aspects of the story are accelerated leading up to the story split. So, the story "split" takes place in the mid 20s of the original series, whereas the story split happens at episode 10 of Brotherhood.

Original series is slightly short at about 54 episodes. So, the original series has about 30 episodes of original content. Brotherhood ends at episode 64, so it has 45 episodes of original content. But honestly, I felt a lot of those episodes were a trek to get through. I was at about episode 50, 40 entire episodes since the split in story, and I was talking to Silh and being like "Dude...is this even worth it...tell me the last 10 episodes are at least worth it"

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
EDIT: Actually, I changed my mind. Writing up a long response wouldn't really be doing anyone any favors, so I think I'll leave well-enough alone.

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I honestly found the original series to be wrought with issues. Though the first maybe 14 or 16 episodes of FMA were fantastic and are definitely stronger than FMAB, the series as a whole suffers from a poorly thought out plot.

The "truth" about the homunculi felt tacked on and Wrath having Ed's limbs was so peculiar. At least Truth having them actually made sense, along with Alphonse's emaciated body.

Don't even get me started on that random ass woman who was in love with Hohenheim who also created/found the homunculi. The homunculi also made so much more sense in FMAB, and the fact they were named after the 7 sins had a real purpose.

Oh, yeah and the Nazi Germany thing was probably the weirdest thing the original series ever did. I never liked that, and I never liked dragon-Envy going over there or being somehow related to Ed and Al. It all started feeling like a hot mess.

I think that what the original anime tried to do was great, but it felt unsatisfying and got really ridiculous. I'm not saying FMAB is without faults but I think as an overall story it is much better.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
The "truth" about the homunculi felt tacked on and Wrath having Ed's limbs was so peculiar. At least Truth having them actually made sense, along with Alphonse's emaciated body.

A completely ambiguous explanation of "our souls intertwined...somehow...so like...when I eat food it gets transported to limbo where your body hangs out" makes sense?

Don't even get me started on that random ass woman who was in love with Hohenheim who also created/found the homunculi. The homunculi also made so much more sense in FMAB, and the fact they were named after the 7 sins had a real purpose.

Here's the thing. A lot of people are telling me that Dante is a really poor/forgettable villain. Yet this means nothing to me because I don't particularly believe that Dante was the true villain of the original series. The villain of the original series is mankind, and that's the point. The things people sacrifice or cast aside for their sins create monsters (both figuratively and literally). Things like the pursuit of eternal life, wealth, etc. Dante wasn't meant to be this great supernatural force of evil trying to be God. She was at once a normal human, who sought to pursue something literally any human being could be found guilty of desiring. She was a product of the villain which is mankind's sin. This is pretty much the point of the entire series. Ed, Al, Hoenheim, Teacher, etc all fall prey to these faults and it is a story of sacrifice and redemption for them.

This ties in to my point about the homunculi. The homunculi in Brotherhood are named the way they are because a nigh-literal Demon chucked the embodiment of values he saw as human flaws into fleshbags using philosopher stones he could spew out of his forehead-eye. Now, in the original series, the characters are named the way they are because they are metaphorical embodiments of the results of these human sins. They aren't literal demons that spewed out of a god characters head, who walk around acting out their names like a Pokemon says it's own name all of the time. The homunculi were born, in their various respects, as a result of the innate sin of man and the things he does because of those sins

The difference between the two series is that in the original series the homunculi were characters, and in Brotherhood they were caricatures. They were broad stroke archetypes thrown to create monster battles with the exception of Greed. In the original series, the homunculi often had very significant back-stories relevant to the series, and had individual development and even redemption

The fact that Hoenheim had a life before Trisha Elric makes complete sense when you consider the fact that the guy has been alive for over 400 years. Are you telling me that a guy's life had nothing romantic in it before Trisha Elric? Envy in the original series represents Hoenheim's original sin.

Last edited:

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
I'm really glad I was able to watch both of these animes without being bothered by anything haha.

I would agree, though, that overall as a better show FMA wins in this regard. Brotherhood did feel like more of a "epic battle all the time" show. I honestly liked that better than FMA probably because when I watched FMA for the first time I was not at an age of maturity to appreciate the overall theme of the show.

It's been ages since I've seen either, so I'm not entirely sure those are accurate statements.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
A completely ambiguous explanation of "our souls intertwined...somehow...so like...when I eat food it gets transported to limbo where your body hangs out" makes sense?
It honestly made more sense that Alphonse's body was being kept alive by Edward than just magically getting his body back in perfect condition from god knows where.

Here's the thing. A lot of people are telling me that Dante is a really poor/forgettable villain. Yet this means nothing to me because I don't particularly believe that Dante was the true villain of the original series. The villain of the original series is mankind, and that's the point. The things people sacrifice or cast aside for their sins create monsters (both figuratively and literally). Things like the pursuit of eternal life, wealth, etc. Dante wasn't meant to be this great supernatural force of evil trying to be God. She was at once a normal human, who sought to pursue something literally any human being could be found guilty of desiring. She was a product of the villain which is mankind's sin. This is pretty much the point of the entire series. Ed, Al, Hoenheim, Teacher, etc all fall prey to these faults and it is a story of sacrifice and redemption for them.

Dante was an unnecessary character tacked on at the end because they had to make their own ending for the show. She evoked no emotional response from me and just made me raise my eyebrow at the concept of her character.

It's not as if those characters never experienced sacrifice in FMAB. I'm sorry, but I find the price of equivalent exchange for human transmutation to always be a sacrifice. Along with the guilt they felt for years for doing something like that to their loved ones. And Hoenheim was the last of his entire race just because he had befriended the dwarf in the flask. He sacrificed time with the woman he loved and his sons to go out and try to stop something he felt responsible for.

This ties in to my point about the homunculi. The homunculi in Brotherhood are named the way they are because a nigh-literal Demon chucked the embodiment of values he saw as human flaws into fleshbags using philosopher stones he could spew out of his forehead-eye. Now, in the original series, the characters are named the way they are because they are metaphorical embodiments of the results of these human sins. They aren't literal demons that spewed out of a god characters head, who walk around acting out their names like a Pokemon says it's own name all of the time. The homunculi were born, in their various respects, as a result of the innate sin of man and the things he does because of those sins

The difference between the two series is that in the original series the homunculi were characters, and in Brotherhood they were caricatures. They were broad stroke archetypes thrown to create monster battles with the exception of Greed. In the original series, the homunculi often had very significant back-stories relevant to the series, and had individual development and even redemption
They were never supposed to be much more than they were in FMAB, because FMAB is much closer to the manga. That's why it makes so much more sense for them to be the specific human traits Father chose to abandon and not just dead people a crazy woman chose to give life to.

I don't agree that their back stories were all that relevant to the plot. All of their back stories, save three, were totally forgettable.

The fact that Hoenheim had a life before Trisha Elric makes complete sense when you consider the fact that the guy has been alive for over 400 years. Are you telling me that a guy's life had nothing romantic in it before Trisha Elric? Envy in the original series represents Hoenheim's original sin.
As though Hoenheim had no life before Trisha in FMAB?

Honestly, both series are at fault for pulling a lot of shit out of nowhere which is why I said FMAB wasn't perfect. I still find FMAB to be a better story as a whole than the original anime. I think it's great though, that the two anime's exist so people with different opinions like us still can enjoy one or the other, or both.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Dante was an unnecessary character tacked on at the end because they had to make their own ending for the show.

You mean despite the fact that she was introduced 50% of the way into the series? Not exactly "made up at the end". Father showed up in Brotherhood at pretty much the same place in the series.

Dismissing the merits of a character in a story because of real-life context of the character's creation is absolutely facetious. The anime series was never "forced" to make their own ending, because plenty of anime series' outrun their Manga counterparts and choose to just delay the series or create filler until they give it enough room to get ahead. Instead, the creators of the anime had their own ideas for how the universe worked, and crafted their own tale out of the initial source material provided. This is no way discredits the merits of the story that was crafted, or allow it to be dismissed as "not the same" as the manga. Because regardless of whether it's not the original source material, I have shown extensive reason to show that it is actually a better story

They were never supposed to be much more than they were in FMAB, because FMAB is much closer to the manga. That's why it makes so much more sense for them to be the specific human traits Father chose to abandon and not just dead people a crazy woman chose to give life to.

I don't agree that their back stories were all that relevant to the plot. All of their back stories, save three, were totally forgettable.

Again, the context of "well, it's the manga, so it makes sense!" doesn't make it right and doesn't make it a better story. It doesn't excuse that when shown an alternate use of the material that is wholly more satisfying and deeper, that just because it's not the "original" makes it bad.

The homunculi in the original series were the direct result of the main character's sins. Sloth was Ed & Als, Wrath was Izumi's, Envy was Hoenheim's, Lust was (in effect) Scar's, Greed was Dante's. They were metaphorical manifestations of the horrors that man's sins will fuel him to create.

The homunculi in Brotherhood were monster battles that were shit out of a God's head, who all acted out their names like they were pokemon. Yes this is the "original" story of the homunculi from the manga, that doesn't make it good

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
(I know I said I wouldn't say anything, but I wanted to respond to the above. I'm very fickle like that.)

But the sins that the homunculi in the first series represented weren't actually representative of the characters that created them. They don't have any actual meaning to the characters themselves as far as their sins go, making them pretty banal as far as far as metaphorical expression. The homunculi in Brotherhood have actual relevance to the theme, as "Father" was trying to purify himself so that he could achieve Godhood. The fact that the homunculi still had power was proof of concept that sins are still powerful, but that purification would lead to even greater power and understanding. That was what "Father" was all about.

Not to mention the fact that the homunculus not being the result of failed human transmutation led to extremely powerful closure for both the Elric brothers and Izuma. I can easily say that I found the relief they felt through it is far more emotionally impactful than any of the poorly executed melodrama that took place towards the end of the original, where Ed doesn't even get closure for what happened with regard to his mother (well, no closure that wasn't completely forced, anyway).

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Not to mention the fact that the homunculus not being the result of failed human transmutation led to extremely powerful closure for both the Elric brothers and Izuma. I can easily say that I found the relief they felt through it is far more emotionally impactful than any of the poorly executed melodrama that took place towards the end of the original, where Ed doesn't even get closure for what happened with regard to his mother (well, no closure that wasn't completely forced, anyway).

This is my main problem with most people I've talked to about this. The precedence that "everything works out in the end = good story". Sometimes things are meaningful because they don't work out perfectly, but someone has the moral fiber to overcome. This is something that is very core to the original series, and what it displays very well: there is never true equivalent exchange for our sins. You cannot trade your life for a life you took. Sometimes the things you gain from what you sacrifice are intangible, and sometimes you can lose so much and not have your return. Even as the characters learn this, even as they are told this point blank, they still strive for repentance and they still strive for retribution.

Fullmetal Alchemist, at it's core, represents intertwining tales of redemption. What Brotherhood does practically robs the characters of genuine fault for something that they had done which is truly wrong. It's like a pat on the back and a "gotcha!"

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Except the concept of redemption still exists to the characters, especially the Elric brothers. The only difference is that it becomes about the brothers themselves, not their mother. They have to redeem themselves for what they tried to do (even if it ended up failing to even create the person they were trying to resurrect), which cost them a great deal. That's why both series so heavily mentioned "encroaching upon God's domain." The entire journey of getting their bodies back is a journey to remedy their mistake.

And I think it's a little insulting to call that revelation a "gotcha!" moment. That was a heavy burden lifted from the Elric brothers' backs, and an important one.

Also, you are right, a story where "everything works out" does not automatically mean a story is good. However, the converse is also true. We're talking the classical genres of "comedy" and "tragedy" here. Neither one of them automatically leads to a good story, but you seem to imply that Brotherhood doesn't do it's job as well because it isn't a tragedy, which I think is wholly unfair and fails to look at the story's merits as a comedy.

Why must the brothers be redeemed through their separation? How does that achieve redemption? He sacrifices himself for the sake of his brother, yes; but he does so by... sacrificing himself just like he did the first time around.

I find Ed giving up his alchemy far more redeeming. He throws away what got them into trouble in the first place, something that gave him heartache after heartache, carrying the burden of all those sins because of it. And he was willing to carry the burden too, including because alchemy was such a defining part of who he was. So while he lost that important part of him, he was redeemed from the sins committed therein by forfeiting alchemy.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
I find Ed giving up his alchemy far more redeeming. He throws away what got them into trouble in the first place, something that gave him heartache after heartache, carrying the burden of all those sins because of it. And he was willing to carry the burden too, including because alchemy was such a defining part of who he was. So while he lost that important part of him, he was redeemed from the sins committed therein by forfeiting alchemy.

Ed's supposed "sacrifice" in Brotherhood very nearly made me sick to my stomach. In the end, after their entire journey, they great moral of the story is "With the power of friendship, anything is possible!"? He sacrifices something that at this point would be wholly meaningless to him, and the sense of loss is exemplified by the point that he....can't as easily fix the tiles on a roof?

The point of the ending in the original series is the unending willpower of the brothers. Like I said in the original post, although the technical sequence of actions in both endings is the same, the thematic implications behind them are wholly different. This is exemplified by their separation. In the end, either brother would sacrifice absolutely everything for the other, but even in doing so they would never give up on the other. They are literally entire universes apart, but they both know that the other is out there and there is hope to strive for. And in the continuation of the story with Shamballa, they achieve this. Similarly to Brotherhood, they "sacrifice the gate" and they lose alchemy, but again, with actual deeper reasoning for the sacrifice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back