• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So how bad was/is your education?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
I mean, if you live in the U.S. and are part of the wave of failing academics that seems to sweeping the country. Were you ever in a scenario where you knew the teacher just didn't know what they were talking about, or was just really bad at teaching?

I've always been a good student, but I'm starting to feel like I've been ripped off of a good education. A lot of times I've had to teach myself things just to pass the class. Other times passing meant sitting in a class idly all day. Then I look around me and all I see are idiots. What's going on?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I haven't really had anyone I thought was a legitimately bad teacher, though I do heavily question the methods of my current English professor. I mean, I have no problem with the concept of peer reviewing the rough draft, but I think the teacher should also look at it before we submit the final version . . .

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
I remember that in El Paso, Texas, the schools in the Socorro district were notoriously terrible. I was only in fourth grade and already knew more about volcanic tectonics than my science teacher did, which is saying something. I also was way too advanced for the literature classes [I had already read every single book they allowed to me, including some random chemistry ones], I was too far ahead for the math class, and I was excelling in the side classes like art. They offered me the chance to skip a grade but, I didn't want to risk missing out on important lessons later in the year.
I was bored out of my mind.

Still, I think the problem really lied within how the entire district had to deal with a majority population of students who were still learning english.

Anyway, more recently, I've realized that every single student in my homestate, Washington, have issues with their schools. Currently, I'm in an area where you can choose from one of three Highschools [not counting online schools, which is what I did for Freshmen year]. One of my friends had gone to one school, another of my friends to another. Both ended up in the same highschool as me this year after I transferred out of online school and both stated that their's had sucked incredibly. The teaching, from what they told me, was horrible and the attitude had much left to be desired.

The school I'm in right now is supposedly a College Prep school supported by International Bacheloriette however you spell it ideals but, thing is, the IB association has yet to even recognize them and they aren't really a College Prep. It's just a very silly highschool that requires you to get 30 credits to graduate compared to the average 19 in my state.

Now, the teachers here are far better than those in El Paso but, they are faced with the issue of having to deal with overprotective parents, horrible scheduling, and forced structures that they are not allowed to leave at all for the curriculum. It annoys me to no end how I can't engage in a proper conversation to figure something out because of both unreasonable time restraints and stupid guidelines saying that teachers can only tell you this and that instead of THIS.

I do enjoy the sort of people around here but, the problem is that the system stresses out the students far too much and expects far too much of the teachers.

Here's a video I suggest a lot of people watch;

Eric

Retired.
Awards
Website
discord.gg
I have once.

I was always decent in math, passing all of my math classes with a A or B. But around 9th grade I went to this international school that was pretty much 97% korean. Thus the asian influence had a major affect on the teaching. My algebra teacher would always go teach material assuming that we [american students] had a general understanding of the topic. And pretty much all [four] of the american students in that class failed.

And I know it was just that class because the next school I went to I took algebra as a pace, then algebra 2 with students a grade below me, then finished advanced math in a 3 week summer course and finished off high school with an A in calculus (no final exam! :D)

But even with all that, I still feel like I suck at math or don't know as much as I should :x

Last edited:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I don't live in the US, but education in Brazil is much worse. At least public schooling can be okay depending on the circumstances in America, but unless you're fortunate enough to afford private schooling, you won't get very well-educated.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I'd say me education is pretty darn good. We don't really have that bad of teachers at our school, though I feel one has short-term memory loss which=no homework nearly ever. But she's cool.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I go to a school win one of the 10th worst grad rates in the country (not exaggerating).
It sucks here, and the standards are so high when the teachers don't care, it gets too hard. There are only two teachers I've had how cared to an extent what the students do here. Also, the office staff sucks too, as they didn't let me carry over my Spanish credits from Middle School because they didn't want Freshman taking Spanish 3/4.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I had an extremely comprehensive education studying under internationally renown examination boards, such as the GCSE and the IB, and for the entirety of my secondary education, from a school belonging to a family of thirteen spread across the globe. It emphasized heavily on extracurricular learning and indoctrinated us to be unquestioning good samaritans. In fact, my school is registered as a charity, not a college. It sends its students around the world on house-building, well-digging and public-school-teaching missions as a publicity stunt that is incredibly effective at raking in the interests of billionaires in search of an all-good place to send their kiddies for an all-encompassing education. Often, these billionaires donate a sizable fund to the school, which no doubt the Board of Directors just love.

/rant

metrifyx

It's pretty good, I suppose. My school completely revolves around standardized testing. We can't focus on anything because we have to get ready for the next State-issued test. For some reason people believe that more standardized testing is better, but from teachers' and students' point of view, it's only making things worse. So far, there have been only four teachers whose methods I didn't agree with:

For the first three semesters of the year I had a teacher who made the class teach themselves three chapters of WWII for homework, and then tested them on it the next day because he was too busy correcting papers to actually teach them the unit. Fortunately, I had my schedule changed around and ended up with another teacher. Still, I remember him not letting us talk to him before or after class because he was correcting papers, and during the entire class we would watch documentaries because he was correcting papers. A teacher who was too busy to teach...

I also had a teacher in the eighth grade who would grade our projects solely on how much money you spent on materials. I mean, you could write "shit" in glitter on your poster and she'd give you an A+. For our final project of the year (a bridge), my friend and I couldn't afford to buy materials so we made it out of old firewood, non-slip rug pads, and paper. It took us about thirteen hours and it was absolutely amazing. Even so, that lady gave us a bad grade on it because, and I quote, "It wasn't beautiful enough," even though she said that the bridge was done correctly and the accompanying research paper was one of the best she'd seen. Ugh.

I have another teacher this year who spends half the period yelling at my class at how stupid they are instead of answering their questions, though he's a good teacher when he actually teaches.

Then there was my kindergarten teacher who gave a girl detention because she didn't know how to draw a triangle, hahaha.

Last edited:

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Dear Frankenstein all these people and their problems with education systems

Trololololol Mississippi has worse educational systems than all of you so enjoy your schooling while it still exists and if you're finished with said schooling be prepared to learn everyday in the real world because just like that one PO'd teacher, the real world will eat you alive in it's quasi-Darwinistic aspect.

Seriously. I learned everything for History-based classes from the television; I.E., History and Military Channels; nuggets of info I grasp from teachers. English = reading book'd and actually utilizing the native tongue in proper usage.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Quality of education differs based on the establishment, of course.

Just because some people were unable to learn anything from classes, whether it be their fault or the teacher's fault, doesn't necessarily mean that your typical school is a joke.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I went to private, then Cogito and (currently) IB schools.

Pretty damn good, if you ask me.

Pirates

I dont think my school is amazing but we have an amazing pass rate.
I have a feeling that is is because we have house activities (like harry potter) and our teachers are more like friends and we all get to know them so we can be interested in learning.

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
I think it might be the students, most people just read to pass. They don't aim high. I can say my private school is full of retards. I am part of the 20% that exceeds the student body and that is quite sad. Especially knowing that i used to go to a nice school full of intellectual human beings and that I used to be a mid-tier student altering between A's and B's. Now I'm practically on top of my class and its quite sad because their are quite few people in the honors classes and few people which means there is almost no competition and competition was the only thing i used to drive my self forward. Now i feel like i'm slacking off

Well, at least you've known what it's like to be surrounded by intellectuals. The amount of intelligence in my peers progressively got worse we went from elementary to middle to high school. Honors classes, gifted classes, IB classes, etc., all the kids there basically don't justify the name of the class. It is sad.

I have once.

I was always decent in math, passing all of my math classes with a A or B. But around 9th grade I went to this international school that was pretty much 97% korean. Thus the asian influence had a major affect on the teaching. My algebra teacher would always go teach material assuming that we [american students] had a general understanding of the topic. And pretty much all [four] of the american students in that class failed.

And I know it was just that class because the next school I went to I took algebra as a pace, then algebra 2 with students a grade below me, then finished advanced math in a 3 week summer course and finished off high school with an A in calculus (no final exam! :D)

But even with all that, I still feel like I suck at math or don't know as much as I should :x

That's another problem that's hard to address: sometimes the teachers fail to understand their students' strengths and learning paces.

I don't live in the US, but education in Brazil is much worse. At least public schooling can be okay depending on the circumstances in America, but unless you're fortunate enough to afford private schooling, you won't get very well-educated.

At this rate, the U.S. won't be much better man. I have friends in private schools and they've learned a lot more than I have.

I go to a school win one of the 10th worst grad rates in the country (not exaggerating).
It sucks here, and the standards are so high when the teachers don't care, it gets too hard. There are only two teachers I've had how cared to an extent what the students do here. Also, the office staff sucks too, as they didn't let me carry over my Spanish credits from Middle School because they didn't want Freshman taking Spanish 3/4.

Damn, where are you?

It's pretty good, I suppose. My school completely revolves around standardized testing. We can't focus on anything because we have to get ready for the next State-issued test. For some reason people believe that more standardized testing is better, but from teachers' and students' point of view, it's only making things worse. So far, there have been only four teachers whose methods I didn't agree with:

For the first three semesters of the year I had a teacher who made the class teach themselves three chapters of WWII for homework, and then tested them on it the next day because he was too busy correcting papers to actually teach them the unit. Fortunately, I had my schedule changed around and ended up with another teacher. Still, I remember him not letting us talk to him before or after class because he was correcting papers, and during the entire class we would watch documentaries because he was correcting papers. A teacher who was too busy to teach...

I also had a teacher in the eighth grade who would grade our projects solely on how much money you spent on materials. I mean, you could write "shit" in glitter on your poster and she'd give you an A+. For our final project of the year (a bridge), my friend and I couldn't afford to buy materials so we made it out of old firewood, non-slip rug pads, and paper. It took us about thirteen hours and it was absolutely amazing. Even so, that lady gave us a bad grade on it because, and I quote, "It wasn't beautiful enough," even though she said that the bridge was done correctly and the accompanying research paper was one of the best she'd seen. Ugh.

I have another teacher this year who spends half the period yelling at my class at how stupid they are instead of answering their questions, though he's a good teacher when he actually teaches.

Then there was my kindergarten teacher who gave a girl detention because she didn't know how to draw a triangle, hahaha.

Ha, my history teacher this year just rambles on about government conspiracies. And everyone either has this bipolar ex-hippie from the 60's as a math teacher, or just some guy who won't explain anything no matter what. Most of our electives involve doing nothing. There was a film teacher who gave all his kids A's for the midterm and told them not to tell anyone.

And I understand about the whole standardized testing thing here. It's been like that here in Florida for a long time, but apparently they're getting rid of it (in fact, they're doing some pretty messed up stuff to the school system what with all the budget cuts). Now the state is supposedly going to issue final course exams for every class, and a teacher's pay gets determined by the scores on that test. It's just stupid.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
I live in a low income, low performing area. The Boston Globe called it a "haven for immigrants"-- demographics are Hispanic majority. Our schools are desperate to get kids to pass and graduate as to not lose funds from NCLB. We have kids moving forward who should not be and as such the work becomes easier to both accommodate for the lower performing kids and ensure that the "average" students can become "above average." But then our test scores are still shit anyways because we're behind academically. Catch-22.

They're constantly changing admins and schedules and instilling different programs, but nothing lasts long enough to be effective.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
This topic is reminding me what an idiot I was for slacking off in highschool and dropping out of college, because I actually did have a pretty good education.

I came to the U.S. when I was ten years old, the school I went to had an english teaching class. I was knowledgeable with the english language almost perfectly 5 months later.

In highschool I was part of IB. Lot of hard work, but the teachers knew their stuff. My Theory of Knowledge teacher in particular during my junior year left a pretty big impact on me, helping me develop my critical thinking skills in a way I didnt know I could accomplish.

Overall, I had a good education, better than I could've hoped for. I just had a phase during my senior year and college where I completely slacked off.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
This topic is reminding me what an idiot I was for slacking off in highschool and dropping out of college, because I actually did have a pretty good education.

I came to the U.S. when I was ten years old, the school I went to had an english teaching class. I was knowledgeable with the english language almost perfectly 5 months later.

In highschool I was part of IB. Lot of hard work, but the teachers knew their stuff. My Theory of Knowledge teacher in particular during my junior year left a pretty big impact on me, helping me develop my critical thinking skills in a way I didnt know I could accomplish.

Overall, I had a good education, better than I could've hoped for. I just had a phase during my senior year and college where I completely slacked off.

So what are you doing presently?

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
I taught myself most of the stuff I know. The teachers at school were so focused on testing instead of actually educating. I don't know how many times I heard "Just learn enough to pass the test" I mean that is all anyone is ever focused on anymore. Test, test, and more test. I'm sorry but the whole American Education system focuses far too much on testing. It needs to be focused actually educating kids.

I was always interested in History so I spent most of my free time researching historical things that caught my interest and I learned a hell of a lot more than I did in the classroom. Ever since I started doing my own research I feel so much more confident.

I say the education system needs to be reformed. Get rid of some of the test. Have the system focus on science, math, and most important History. Get rid of bad teachers and hire ones that have a passion for teaching and kids. Don't have testing be the central focus of schools. I also believe God needs to be in schools once again as well as the teaching about the love of country and a moral decent society. But that's another debate for another day.

Anyways there is my little rant. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back