• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Live Action Adaptation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

So this is gaining traction.
I can kinda see where he's coming from. Though honestly I never saw the Dwarfs as men with dwarfism, but a fictional race.
But i guess the names kind of make it obvious that they are linked.

It's a bit annoying how many of the fictional and folkloric creatures/races can in some way be tied to intolorance.

Sonofjafar

Awards
I just don’t see the point in remaking films like Snow White to match modern logic. Films like Snow White are fueled on emotion. When it first came out, Snow White’s funeral scene made everyone in the theater cry. You can’t get that kind of response when you put it through a modern lense

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

So this is gaining traction.
Dwarves are fictional creatures. Just like hobbits. This is insane that it's offensive to do a movie using fictional dwarves.

The real offensive thing here is another live action DISNEY remake. I never saw the original Snow White and I definitely won't watch this one.

palizinhas

Awards
I don't know how much this feels like a "live action remake" honestly. It just seems like two different adaptations of the same story by the same company. Stories don't sound anything alike outside of being a reimagining of Snow White and having the same title.

Which is different from me saying I'm excited for it. Always found the Snow White fairytale one of the most boring from the famous ones.

Sonofjafar

Awards
like I said before, Disney’s Snow White is one of those moments in cinema history that cannot be replicated in live action. Same goes for pretty much every film Disney picks to be turned live action.

WaltK

Awards

In my humble opinion: not every female character needs to be a girlboss in order to be strong, and making Snow White into one shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the original character.

Last edited:

Willow A113

Awards

In my humble opinion: not every female character needs to be a girlboss in order to be strong, and making Snow White into one shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the original character.
Snow White has always been my least favorite princess. Still, making her the same as (almost) every other female protagonist is uncreative and a bad idea. The girlboss can work sometimes, but it doesn't suit Snow White (at least now how I see her now).

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Oh thank god, I can finally say it. I already heard and read many things about it ever since it was announced, and I hated it with a burning passion as I got more news of it. I was afraid of being accused of racism because the lead is a Latina and if you say anything that can be misinterpreted, your social life is over, but aside from the obvious elephant in the room, it's just...weird in many ways.

This isn't a modern feminist fairytale; it's a mockery of...everything we learned from the Barbie movie.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I agree with the girlboss stuff. Snow White in the original was a 14-year-old girl who was hated by a grown ass woman to the point where she wanted her dead. In that case, she is very much a victim.

That aside, I find it incredibly stupid how people think Snow White cannot be played by a Latina actress due to the whole “skin as white as snow” thing. There are MANY light-skinned Latinas, just as there are dark-skinned Latinas.

While Rachel herself isn’t pale, the mere fact that hearing Latina automatically translates to thinking they’re always just tan-skinned women is stupid to me.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
They were written by the same person...
Which makes it all the more strange to me. Barbie showed it’s alright to ask for help. To not stretch yourself thin trying to reach for the stars and stand out. Among other things.

What I was afraid of was if I criticized this movie, I’ll be seen as being racist because the lead happened to be Latina, when honestly I could hardly care less (don’t @ me, I’m not white either). Yes, there are light-skinned Latinas and they could play Snow White. Although truthfully, one has to face the truth; it’s a large elephant in the room and a bone of contention to other people, some of them even being liberal. Regardless, I remain unsupportive and skeptical for other reasons, though admittedly some are related to the casting (I think Dinklage’s comments on it were incredibly insensitive and reeked of “fuck you, got mine!” vibes. I think a lot of the other actors with dwarfism got pissed out of it).

Now we have this. There’s nothing wrong with kicking ass and standing up to an abuser, in this case, a stepmother, but I don’t like that this movie basically discarded the normal emotions of a 14 year old girl and turned her into this…strange can-do grown ass woman who won’t take crap. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s just that, it won’t speak to a teenager with a similar situation and emotional capacity, who is daydreaming of love (well, love as far as a teen understands it), runs instead of putting up a losing fight in a disadvantageous situation (which is actually a good lesson to learn; if you can’t fight, run, and live to fight another day), and no, you can’t have help, you have to solve the problems because you’re this kickass protag.

New movies and the new princesses exist for a reason. Just write a new movie from another fairytale still unused. Like, idk, red riding hood kicking the wolf’s ass with an axe without the nearby hunter or something.

I’m trying to find the words to articulate why I’m skeptical and burned out, but I have a really hard time trying to write those down. I just wish Greta Gerwig didn’t do it, and I wish it could be more…I don’t know…I still can’t find the words for it.

Edit: After thinking on it some more, I think I can finally find the right words. I was afraid that maybe I was subconsciously racist, sexist, just plain prejudiced and unsupportive, and feared the idea of actually being that and seen as that, then I looked at all the movies released since 2016 onward and I finally realised: I just fucking hate unoriginal movies!

I finally understand I fucking hate sequels, prequels, live action remakes, milked to dust franchises, anything under the sun that’s not new, and just generally has lousy writing! They’re not all bad, like the recent Little Mermaid (except Scuttle’s song, which is cringe and just plain garbage), but I hated the most of them, like Mulan, Cinderella, the Star Wars sequel trilogy, etc. I think I can finally make peace that I’m not this awful person who’s prejudiced; I just hate unoriginal ideas (and hypocrisy)!

I want more new things like Raya, and Encanto, and something new and not rehashed. Yea, I can live with that.

Last edited:

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Yes, there are light-skinned Latinas and they could play Snow White. Although truthfully, one has to face the truth; it’s a large elephant in the room and a bone of contention to other people, some of them even being liberal.
Actually, I don’t think people would care as much if she were a light-skinned Latina. But Rachel isn’t, so they do care.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Which makes it all the more strange to me. Barbie showed it’s alright to ask for help. To not stretch yourself thin trying to reach for the stars and stand out. Among other things.

What I was afraid of was if I criticized this movie, I’ll be seen as being racist because the lead happened to be Latina, when honestly I could hardly care less (don’t @ me, I’m not white either). Yes, there are light-skinned Latinas and they could play Snow White. Although truthfully, one has to face the truth; it’s a large elephant in the room and a bone of contention to other people, some of them even being liberal. Regardless, I remain unsupportive and skeptical for other reasons, though admittedly some are related to the casting (I think Dinklage’s comments on it were incredibly insensitive and reeked of “fuck you, got mine!” vibes. I think a lot of the other actors with dwarfism got pissed out of it).

Now we have this. There’s nothing wrong with kicking ass and standing up to an abuser, in this case, a stepmother, but I don’t like that this movie basically discarded the normal emotions of a 14 year old girl and turned her into this…strange can-do grown ass woman who won’t take crap. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s just that, it won’t speak to a teenager with a similar situation and emotional capacity, who is daydreaming of love (well, love as far as a teen understands it), runs instead of putting up a losing fight in a disadvantageous situation (which is actually a good lesson to learn; if you can’t fight, run, and live to fight another day), and no, you can’t have help, you have to solve the problems because you’re this kickass protag.

New movies and the new princesses exist for a reason. Just write a new movie from another fairytale still unused. Like, idk, red riding hood kicking the wolf’s ass with an axe without the nearby hunter or something.

I’m trying to find the words to articulate why I’m skeptical and burned out, but I have a really hard time trying to write those down. I just wish Greta Gerwig didn’t do it, and I wish it could be more…I don’t know…I still can’t find the words for it.

Edit: After thinking on it some more, I think I can finally find the right words. I was afraid that maybe I was subconsciously racist, sexist, just plain prejudiced and unsupportive, and feared the idea of actually being that and seen as that, then I looked at all the movies released since 2016 onward and I finally realised: I just fucking hate unoriginal movies!

I finally understand I fucking hate sequels, prequels, live action remakes, milked to dust franchises, anything under the sun that’s not new, and just generally has lousy writing! They’re not all bad, like the recent Little Mermaid (except Scuttle’s song, which is cringe and just plain garbage), but I hated the most of them, like Mulan, Cinderella, the Star Wars sequel trilogy, etc. I think I can finally make peace that I’m not this awful person who’s prejudiced; I just hate unoriginal ideas (and hypocrisy)!

I want more new things like Raya, and Encanto, and something new and not rehashed. Yea, I can live with that.

Sure, but I think that's a lot of energy for a movie that hasn't come out yet.

Rachel Zegler is incredibly talented but she's still young and her answers may not be a very nuanced view of the final product. I've got more faith in Gerwig's line of work than that, so instead of throwing it out the window based on what an actor says flippantly in interviews, I'm going to just wait for film.

Back