• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Smoking

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueheart

Bronze Member
I haven't seen a thread with this subject, so I thought I'd start one.

What do you think about about smoking?
Or about those who smoke?
Do you yourself?
If you do, how long have you been?
What do you think makes people smoke or want to start?

I'm taking about cigarettes, obviously.

Awards
I don't know much more than the health issues, so I'm not into it.

It doesn't define who they are, nessecarily, so I don't really judge people based on it unless there's reason to, like it's their whole life or something. I does bug me when they do it around me, though, because I hate the smell...

Do you yourself?If you do, how long have you been?
No. I never plan on starting...

Advertisements or curiosity, I suppose. I've heard that peer pressure is a factor.

Last edited:

Recon

Art of War
Awards
My work got me into cigarettes for maybe 2 months and said bonk it in the end. Their nasty and now I only enjoy them once in a while. I mostly smoke them when drunk through.

I do smoke weed regularly everyday if that counts as 'smoking' by this thread's terms.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I really don't care, but my parents hate it now. They can't stand to see chain smokers. My montra to some drugs and even cigarettes is to say fuck it, you only live once.

Awards
I didn't mean judge them as a person. I meant, what do you think about the fact that they smoke?

Not much, unless it takes over their life or something. If they want to smoke and know the risks, I don't look down on it, myself. I admit to not undertanding why anyone would, but that's just how I was raised.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Since it can kill people I don't think very well of it.

I've known a lot of decent people who smoke so it doesn't degrade my opinion of people

Do you yourself?
No, and I don't plan on doing so.

I guess peer pressure is a main reason, but the advertising for smoking and cigarettes is firmly ingrained into our minds. I remember during a health class in middle school where we were asked if we had seen a cigarette commercial on tv recently. All but one person raised their hand. The thing is smoking ads on tv have been banned for a very long time.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

Nothing, really, other than I'm not interested in ever smoking.

Same as above; nothing. There's no reason for me to hold any sort of prejudicial judgment against people who smoke because smoking isn't part of your personality.

Do you yourself?

No. My dad, brother, uncles, aunts, and cousins smoke, but it's never appealed to me. I did try it at one point, but I've never touched the stuff again after that.

Stress, depression, the usual stuff. Starting may be because someone you know does it, and you think they're cool so you want to smoke so you can be cool, too. At least, I believe that could be one reason. Other than that, I don't know.

I've never put much thought into it.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
It's kinda unattractive and it's a deal breaker for me relationship wise (unless you're willing to quit).

I don't really judge people for it at all, but my best friend's dad died after a three year battle against cancer due to smoking. It was painful for him and everyone around him, so I always find it hard to understand why someone won't quit when they know the ramifications.

Do you yourself?
No.

Several reasons; stress, addiction, pleasure, recreation.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
I think it's a bad habit to get into. It's bad for your health, and I don't quite understand the reasoning behind it. Many say it calms their nerves, but I think most of the times it's just a habit that has kicked in.
I generally think it's pretty inconsiderate of everyone around them (if they're smoking in a public place), because you can definitely get cancer from secondhand smoke. But past that, I don't have much room to judge. We all have our faults, no reason getting hung up over it. But, if one of my friends started smoking, I would definitely have to have a talk with them. Also, definitely would never date anyone who smokes (the occasional cigar is fine with me, but anything regular is no bueno).
Do you yourself?
If it wasn't obvious by my above answers, no, I do not. I smoke maybe one or two cigars ever one to two months with a bud of mine, but past that, nada.
Stress, peer pressure, lots of reasons. I once talked to a guy who started smoking because he worked on a navy ship in the arctic, and smokers were allowed to get out of the cold (more often than non-smokers) and go inside for a smoke break, so he picked up smoking there.

I think it's overall a pretty sad thing, and I hate seeing people throw away so much health and money for a habit that gives very little back. My grandfather got cancer because of it, so I have a pretty strong conviction not to smoke. Plus, I think that turning to smoking to solve any of my problems would be very much against, well, pretty much most of my faith.

State

Awards
It's a bad habit that raises your probabilities of getting cancer. It can also affect those around you (even more than the cigarette affects you) and damages our environment.

Nothing in particular, just people that smoke for a reason.

Do you yourself?
No. My father used to smoke, but decided to quit because:

• His favorite brand, Winston, was getting pricey.
  • A world without cigarettes is a healthier lifestyle.

If you do, how long have you been?
Does not apply, but my father? About... more than twenty years.

Depression and/or any type of pressure.

I'm taking about cigarettes, obviously.
You should quit. Life's better without them and I don't see a reason why life wouldn't be better without them. Cigarettes are just mouth-accessories that do nothing but make you look cool on the outside, but bonk you on the inside.

Now as to a solution, you need willpower and I recommend some menthol patches that Walgreens sales (yes, Walgreens has something good for you). My father quit with those. Depending on how many cigarettes (or boxes thereof) you smoke, corresponds to your size of patches.

~*~

It doesn't define who they are, nessecarily, so I don't really judge people based on it unless there's reason to, like it's their whole life or something. I does bug me when they do it around me, though, because I hate the smell...
My thoughts exactly. Just because you wear a skull t-shirt or don't bother to brush your hair doesn't mean you're a hobo or a drug addict.

No. I never plan on starting...
That makes us two.

I've heard that peer pressure is a factor.
Is it still a factor? I've recently haven't heard of peers pressuring you into smoking, but depression and economical pressure? Yes.

what do you think about the fact that they smoke?
Every human being has the right to do whatever the bonk they please, as long as they don't affect others negatively, of course. Since smoking affects yourself, those around you and the environment, I'm against smoking.

~*~

A couple o' questions~

• Why did they invent cigarettes?
  • Why does everyone that quits gets fatter?
  • Why would life wouldn't be better without cigarettes? (This question is directed to those that smoke.)

Awards
[*]Why did they invent cigarettes?
Tobacco was already a crop that made a lot of moneyI think. Cigarettes were another form to sell them in.

[*]Why does everyone that quits gets fatter?
From what I've heard, which could be wrong,
*Nicotine increases metabolism in a way harmful to human health that causes body tension, faster heart rate, and higher blood pressure. When one quits, the body returns to the weight it would have been.
*Water retension, I think...
*I think their sense of smell is reduced, so food is more appealing...
*Some may subsitute food for tobacco because of the habit of putting something in their mouths.
*Cigarette cravings during withdrawal can apparently be confused for hunger pains.
Again, not sure how much merit it has behind it...

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
i don't really have a problem with people who smoke. it's not something i want to do myself, and it's a bad habit, but we're all fallible and me not smoking doesn't make me a better person than someone who does. as long as i don't have to inhale smoke or anything, we're fine.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
Many people in my family smoke. I get worried about them, but the only thing that telling them to stop gets me is arguments with them. I care, but I don't want to ruin my relationship with anybody over their bad decisions. A couple of my friends do, sadly. I get actually really pissed off about it because they only do it to make themselves look like total badasses. That's the one thing that attracts so many teenagers to it, is that they the it's the cool thing to do. I never have smoked and I know that I never will. I just find it so unattractive and I don't feel like purposely causing my body harm over time. Not to mention I'll save a ton of money over the people that do become addicted to to using them and other tobacco/nicotine products.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I'm actually allergic to cigarette smoke. I learned this one day after going to rent a car with my parents. The placed REEKED of tobacco smoke. As soon as I left the place, I had a huge headache and my nose became stuffy. Now it happens whenever I'm around cigarette smoke. It's funny because one of my uncles use to smoke when I was a kid. He quit later on, but I always hung around him. I never had a problem with cigarette smoke then.

Because of this, I hate smokers, not because I have something against them, but because they provoke my allergies. My allergies are terrible and they make me feel sick, and I HATE being sick. Besides, the consequences of smoking are god awful. Your teeth turn yellow, you lose your taste buds, and your lungs blacken among other things. If you want to shorten your life span, that's fine by me but don't shorten mine as well.

That's why.....

It's kinda unattractive and it's a deal breaker for me relationship wise (unless you're willing to quit).

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There are soooo many attractive woman at work that are instantly made unattractive the moment I find out they smoke. Finding out this out is the worst feeling in the world. If I were to get into a relationship or get close to someone who smokes, they would definitely have to quit.

Nov

Awards
I don't smoke. I haven't ever even tasted, not once. I have a disease that pretty much prevents me from smoking and it's always been just so a question of principle for me that I've always declined - even when I'm drunk - when I've been offered.

I don't usually judge people who smoke or at least I try not to. It's their own decision and their own money that they spend on cigarettes. My mom smokes every day and some of my friends smoke too: some every day, some only when they're drunk and some are only social smokers. But I do sometimes have hard time accepting it. It just frustrates me that every time when we're going somewhere, we need to leave five minutes earlier or wait a bit before going inside so that they can smoke. It just seems that everything revolves around their smoking. When we go to a bar, I'm all alone when they go to smoke outside and my friend told me that you're pretty much an outsider in her workplace if you do not smoke because all the latest gossip is exchanged during a smoking break.

What annoys me probably the most though, is the smell. People who smoke don't always understand how bad their smell is. And also the teeth and everything else that comes with it. Just no.

I can admit that in my opinion smoking "fits" for some people if you could even say that. I can't imagine some celebrities without a cigarette in their fingers and I'm cool with that but I don't admire them because of smoking. It's - again - their choice but has nothing to do with me.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There are soooo many attractive woman at work that are instantly made unattractive the moment I find out they smoke. Finding out this out is the worst feeling in the world. If I were to get into a relationship or get close to someone who smokes, they would definitely have to quit.
Agreeing with these. It's definitely a big turn off when I found out that a guy who I find attractive smokes.

Last edited:

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I don't need to feel cool by smoking, sorry. Had asthma when I was a wee little youngster, don't intend on puffing at least a thousand different harmful chemicals at once. Buuut, that's just me.

People smoke to calm their nerves and relax 'most' of the time. (It does relax them, Le Lionheart. When nicotine goes from the veins in the gums to the rest of the body, it sends the yum yum chemicals in the brain firing off - dopamine, I think.)

Do I have an immediate dislike towards smokers? Most of the time, yes. My somewhat already clean air is being stolen from me by a cloud of that bonking shit. I don't care that people smoke, but when you're taking away my air with that crap, and I'm having to inhale your smelly, rotten, dead air and reduce my life expectancy drastically due to that inhalation necessary for the ability to live, I get bonking livid.

Awards
I honestly can't stand it when people smoke around me, as the smoke seriously irritates me. And I really don't get why people start in the first place. I mean, I can get wanting to feel calmer, but what's so calming about going through withdraws, and constantly reaching in your wallet to support a habit that does nothing to support you?

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Well as far as marijuana goes, yeah I smoke that...regularly. But I don't smoke around people who aren't, nor am I high around people who aren't due to the fact that I don't like bringing that kind of energy around others. And its pretty awkward.

Cigs on the other hand, I've never smoked one and I won't for that matter. I can't date someone who smokes them but I really don't judge people based on the fact that they smoke, like my above statement, just don't smoke around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back