• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Skuld , a closer look (SPOILERS)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Taking a closer look at the latest updates on chi , i took an interest in skulds name . Taking into account how the name of a flower "dandelion" was used ,i got curious as to what other hint lies hidden in front of our eyes, so i searched to find the meaning behind skulds name.(a little note for those of you who dont know the name dandelions and the title seeds of hope both refer to the way dandelion seeds scatter in the wind similar to how the chosen few keyblade wielders will travel outside of their present world and probably scatter ... heres a link regarding the actual plant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum )

So it turns out skulds name originates from a norn aka a female being who rules over the destiny of men and gods.
What is interesting though is her name might mean future. So we can assume that she is tied to the future somehow or
perhaps the future is where she ends up (we have already seen time travel and its close ties to the realm of sleep where the dandelions are gonna train)
Adding to that a second even more interesting fact about the norn skuld is that she is also described as a valkyrie.
But what is a valkyrie . From wikipedia:
"In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live. Selecting half of those who die in battle, the valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin. There, the deceased warriors become einherjar (Old Norse "single (or once) fighters"[1])."
So basically a valkyrie chooses worthy warriors who will fight in ragnarok which is the end of times .Ofcourse these warriors die first then they are brought back to life by the valkyrie . A concept that bears striking similarity to the events that take place in
kh :ddd. Through the course of the kh series xehanort has used many creatures and people (warriors!) to fight for him. Many were weak yet some proved to be worthy .Most of these warriors ceased to exist .In a way you can say they died.
Then , in kh:ddd, we are introduced to the "valkyrie" of the kh universe.And ofcource the man who can bring all those dead worthy warriors back to "life" (figuratively) , to fight in the 2nd keyblade war (ragnarok,end times) is none other than young MX,
We can safely assume based on these facts that skuld relates to xehanort in some. way.
But is it really that surprising ? After all she does share xehanorts eyes (or maybe xehanort shares skulds eyes i dont know...)
Its also safe to assume that the concept of the dandelions failed in a way since darkness does exist in the present ,as a seed of corruption , a " will that was passed" .....
And on a sidenote there is a also a strong contrast between ephemera and skuld . From their eyes and their hair to their clothes one seems to resemble light (blue eyes , silver hair) , and the other the darkness (yellow eyes relate to master xehanort , black hair).Ofcourse the most striking contradiction is hidden in their names ; skulds name ties her to the future , yet ephemera's name, bearing the meaning of ,short lived ,seems to imply he doesnt have a future.

links :
norn :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norns
skuld : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skuld
dandelion : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum
valkyrie : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie
Sorry for any grammar errors im not that good at english :p
Thanks for reading

Edit : corrected a few typos

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Don't worry about your grammar, your English seems to be absolutely fine.

On the topic of what you've posted, Skuld seemed suspicious ever since her inception. But then again, Ephemera is just as suspicious. They both are from a Union that is not associated with the Five Foretellers (most likely the Sixth Unknown faction). They both have the common theme of breaking into areas reserved for the Foretellers. My idea is that the Sixth Foreteller may be using Ephemera and Skuld as intel for the Sixth Foreteller henceforth their heightened curiosity of the Foreteller's activity (Skuld hasn't really laid out her underlying motives yet).

Hack

Thank you

On the topic of what you've posted, Skuld seemed suspicious ever since her inception. But then again, Ephemera is just as suspicious. They both are from a Union that is not associated with the Five Foretellers (most likely the Sixth Unknown faction). They both have the common theme of breaking into areas reserved for the Foretellers. My idea is that the Sixth Foreteller may be using Ephemera and Skuld as intel for the Sixth Foreteller henceforth their heightened curiosity of the Foreteller's activity (Skuld hasn't really laid out her underlying motives yet).
Well, you might be right seeing as how ephemera probably lies about his supposed union , plus his chirithy seems to be darker than usual.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

Really, it's kind of redundant to say that anyone in Chi seems suspicious. xD

Last I checked, Norns ≠ valkyries. If anything, with the recent developments, Ava seems to fit the role of a so-called valkyrie, gathering warriors to live on beyond otherwise inevitable death. Difference being that Norse valkyries gathered fallen warriors (people who outright died in battle) to amass an army for a massive end-of-the-world battle, while Ava's dandelions are being chosen specifically to stay out of this event and survive beyond the all-consuming darkness.

Basically, Ava's playing the role of valkyrie, but mixing in her "starting a war is senseless" ideals into her actions.

This is a bit off-topic, but... You know, ever since Chi started, the whole concept behind the game has revolved around a certain theme: legends. This game has the appearance of a fairy tale book. The Disney worlds that we've visited- every single one of them- are from movies based on fairy tales that have existed for centuries (ok, Alice in Wonderland isn't quite as ancient, but you get my point).
Chi's story is insight on the Keyblade War, an event that happened so long ago that most who know anything about it consider it to be a fairy tale. And now... the allusions to myth and legend are starting to branch out from pure Disney. Valkyries, Norns, the Seven Deadly Sins... We're going from non-specific "fairy tale" to Norse and Judeo-Christian legend and lore.

Every KH game has had a theme that the plot and mechanics have drawn upon- computers, dreams, memories. Seems to me like Chi's truly outdoing itself with its own theme.

fmimac

Wow, really interesting theory. In any case, nothing is random in Kingdom Hearts, especially at this point. Skuld being a norn's name, and Ephemera meaning what it means, is definitely something worth analysing.

Ok, you made me think about something, and maybe this has already been said but... Ephemera's hair is gray, Skuld's eyes are yellow (unless it's light brown?). They seem to be fond of each other. Is it possible that Xehanort is some kind of their descendant...?

Anyway, as you said, there seems to be a connection between those three.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Wow, really interesting theory. In any case, nothing is random in Kingdom Hearts, especially at this point. Skuld being a norn's name, and Ephemera meaning what it means, is definitely something worth analysing.

Ok, you made me think about something, and maybe this has already been said but... Ephemera's hair is gray, Skuld's eyes are yellow (unless it's light brown?). They seem to be fond of each other. Is it possible that Xehanort is some kind of their descendant...?

Anyway, as you said, there seems to be a connection between those three.
Eh, silver/grey hair doesn't necessarily always mean a character's related to Xehanort. Riku's always had silver hair, even before meeting Mr. Robe Guy or even Terra. And I'm pretty sure Skuld's eyes are brown.

Wanna hear a little of my Wild Mass Guessing?

Okay, so I haven't worked out what this all really means, so this is gonna sound like some sort of cracky Illuminati theory, but...
So, we've got dandelions. DANDELIONS EVERYWHERE. Ephemera's hair looks like one of them, and he turns into a cloud of dandelions in a dream. Given what Ava's revealed, now we know why; he's helping her gather up "dandelions," wielders who will survive the Keyblade War.

Okay great. What's your point? We already know this.
quick google search on dandelions said:
The common name dandelion (/ˈdændᵻlaɪ.ən/ dan-di-ly-ən, from French dent-de-lion, meaning "lion's tooth") is given to members of the genus.
Lion's tooth?

Lion? Like the creature that represents the sin of PRIDE? Which just so happens to be one of the two sins not represented by our five Foretellers? AND happens to be the creature (sorta, except with those goat horns) that shows up on Trollanort's version of the No Name Keyblade, which bears a lot of similarities to the Goatblade?

So what does this all mean? No clue. Lion confirmed.

Hack

Last I checked, Norns ≠ valkyries.
I certainly did not claim that norns are valkyries .It just so happens that skuld is both a norn and described as a valkyrie in two poems.You can check the links i posted for more info :p.

If anything, with the recent developments, Ava seems to fit the role of a so-called valkyrie, gathering warriors to live on beyond otherwise inevitable death. Difference being that Norse valkyries gathered fallen warriors (people who outright died in battle) to amass an army for a massive end-of-the-world battle, while Ava's dandelions are being chosen specifically to stay out of this event and survive beyond the all-consuming darkness.

You are missing the point here . The concept of gathering warriors might be similar both in YX's and Ava's missions but YX's mission goes beyond similar.He gathered -->fallen<--- warriors proved worthy combatants and brought them to a certain place place (where nothing gathers (valhala??)) to prepare for the second keyblade war. Last time a keyblade war happened the world was consumed by darkness and then subsequently restored and thats similar to the events that transpire in ragnarok.Ava 's mission on the other hand is not preparing the dandelions to fight , the opposite actually .She is preparing them to flee so that light survives. And the dandelions were never dead to begin with (at least as far as we know :p).

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Huh. These are some really good ideas, Hack! And ones I certainly hadn't thought of before:D But the second Keyblade War being representative of the battle of Ragnarok makes sense (-puts my "Magnus Chase: and the Gods of Asgard" knowledge to good use-).

And Skuld maybe being connected to Xehanort--and helping him choose which of the deceased vessels coming back--is also something to look out for, now that you mention it.

I'd just like to point out that silver hair (or light hair) doesn't automatically mean good, though. I mean, look at YMX, Terranort, ASoD, and Xemnas, after all:D

@BlackOsprey Remember that God has also been likened to a lion many times in the scriptures, so that's also something to remember;) Perhaps the lion's referring to the Master of Masters (who is probably the closest thing we have to a god in the KH universe right now), or maybe even Sora? I mean, it's no secret that Sora's very much a Jesus archetype. And there's also a fact that he was a lion in The Pride Lands, that his original design was based on a lion, etc.

Muke

whatever
Awards
^
Being a lion in Pridelands isn't really anything special though..

Hack

I'd just like to point out that silver hair (or light hair) doesn't automatically mean good, though. I mean, look at YMX, Terranort, ASoD, and Xemnas, after all:D

You are definitely right , silver hair is not a trait of good characters and neither is dark hair a trait of a villain .I just wanted
to point out how ephemera's colors are in contrast to skuld's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back