• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Simple Stuff

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Re: Simple Stuff : -2 Unassorted

MAJOR QUESTION OF THE DAY! How do you know so much about medical procedure?
ANSWER: I don't! I stayed vague in every way possible because I don't know anything about hospitals/procedures.
The surgeon had removed the clot, only for it to slowly reform as soon as they began cleaning.
Is "cleaning" something surgeons do in brain surgery? I dunno, but it sounds plausible enough for me to get away with. The clot itself is also vague on purpose. Wouldn't a clot--which stops blood from reaching the brain--cause a seizure? Probably, but the fact that a "genetic disorder" is causing the clot is probably a bigger offender of defying logic. To me, writing is a balancing act of weaving words and tricks, to be honest. I have to think about what is actually possible and what the readers would be willing to believe. Could a genetic disorder cause blood clots? Who knows, maybe! This also extends to my other writings as well: In CLASSIC, Bryer is mauled by a tiger. People who get attacked by tigers are generally screwed, so I had to make him extra lucky and only be clawed from behind and give him enough time to escape. Then I had to ignore the bloodloss he was suffering (which would probably make him unstable along with experiencing shock) and have him heal immediately with an unexplained "magic gel". How does it work? Magic! Again, that's me working with what the readers expect in a somewhat realistic setting as well as what they would be willing to believe. This also isn't me trying to sucker the reader either, and I hope no one takes it that way; it's more like I'm trusting that the reader can use some suspension of disbelief to enjoy the story. It didn't matter why Richard was dying: the point was that he is, in fact, dying.

I feel like this is something you'd see in real life, or a true story that actually happened.
yeeesssssss. It's all fiction, but I love this.
I guess this leaves me askin, did he commit sudoko in a previous chapter?
jesus christ pls don't ever change for reals tho<3

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

God dammit!!!! I saw :

CD-Man2021
June 9, 2014, 11:51 PM

And instantly thought "Oh yay, a new chapter of Simple Stuff!!! Whoopie!!!" Nope. I take back the 'whoopie' you soulless dream-crusher.

Okay, you can have the 'whoopie'. I feel like I'm just being mean.

Max

Staff member
Awards

I'm sorry bro... Forgive and forget???

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
I don't don't think this part came out too great, to be honest. But instead of nitpicking at it for another few months, I decided to just go with it and try harder in the coming parts. It's only a thousand words as well, so I really think I could have done better all around. Also, the name is Unsafe, but Sound because the name of the park is Safe and Sound. I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THAT BECAUSE IT'S BEEN A QUARTER OF A YEAR SINCE I LAST POSTED IT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME SEND HELP
---
A warm breeze wavered about, causing a few balloons to knock into each other in a playfully bouncing manner that reminded Alex of a pair of rabbits merrily hopping across a field. Then the wind picked up, which sent a shiver down Alex’s spine. As a matter of fact, the same chill ran down everyone’s spines, excluding one very excited looking redhead.
“Lucy?” Alex asked aloud as a bell sounded off from one of the nearby roller coasters.
“Yeah?” She answered as she took a lick from an ice cream cone she had gotten from somewhere. Alex didn’t know where, and he was slightly jealous.
“You never told me why we came here. Or why you even brought me along.” Somewhere in the distance came a high pitch noise that reminded Alex of a mosquito, though he ignored it.
“You’ll find out in just a second. For now we should get somewhere a little bit higher.”
“Okay, well can you at least tell me why you didn’t get me an ice cream cone as well?”
“You didn’t ask for one.”
“Of course.”

The pair found higher ground in the form of a roofless tram car that showcased the best parts of the theme park from above. The mosquito-like buzzing got a bit louder every few minutes but everybody in the park ignored it, thinking it was just background noise from the theme park either as a performance that was happening in the distance or a ride being prepared for the guests. As the tram car turned on a corner nearing the edge of the park, the buzzing became a crescendo of white noise, and people around the park pressed their hands against their ears in a vain attempt to block it out. In an instant, the buzzing stopped only to be replaced by a quick loud hissing sound that was reminiscent of a can of soda being opened slightly, with the gas being expelled from the top. Above the center area of the park, right above a very nice water fountain adorned with statues of the founders of the park along with the park's mascot--an absurdly tall pelican named Paco—appeared a small floating disk. It slowly began expanding as the hissing soda noise became louder. The larger it became, the more features were visible including colorful blinking lights, concave square engravings, and a Tri-Light brand tractor beam on the bottom that, as the owners proudly told anyone who was willing to listen, literally only cost them their first born and an extra two-month payment of the United States equivalent of $59.99.

“Lucy?” Alex asked again, tugging at her sleeve. “Lucy?!” He repeated as she enjoyed another lick of her ice cream.
“Shhh.” She told him. “I'm trying to watch this. And this ice cream is fantastic! What brand is it?”
“I don't care! Is that a UFO?”
“No, of course not. A UFO is an Unidentified Flying Object. I know exactly what this is.”
“Well, what is it?” Alex was becoming hysterical, much to Lucy's annoyance.
“It's a flying object, obviously. Just not an unidentified one. It's more of an IFO.”
“Do you even listen to yourself?”
“Do you? You're being kinda loud, you know. Now shush, something should happen soon.” Alex was about to point out that an IFO appearing in the sky most likely counted as something happening, but he kept his mouth shut and stared back at the saucer. As the saucer stopped expanding, the hissing noise ended off with a loud popping noise that reminded Alex of opening a tin can. The saucer easily overshadowed the majority of the plaza below as the people caught in the underside stared in brainless awe and it hovered above the statue of Paco for a brief moment before the Tri-Light tractor beam turned on. True to its name, the tractor beam shone brightly under the IFO in flashing reds, blues, and greens from three different light sources. The beams of light pointed in random directions around the plaza before they simultaneously focused on Paco, and the statue of the pelican was slowly abducted into the interstellar vehicle.

A hatch on the underside of the saucer opened. Paco entered. A hatch on the underside of the saucer closed. Its mission apparently complete, the saucer began unceremoniously rising away from the theme park and Alex couldn't help but wonder what these people could want with a statue of a pelican. He also wondered if the beings inside the IFO could be called 'people'. Then he wondered what the beings might look like, and if they spoke English. The saucer itself stopped rising, and began tilting towards the tram car.
“Are you doing that?” Lucy asked.
“Doing what?” Alex responded, trying to work out what she meant. The saucer tilted more heavily towards the pair as the girl turned to Alex.
“You are! Stop it!”
“I don't know what I'm supposed to be stopping!” He yelled at her. What was he doing? As far as the young man was aware, the only thing he was doing was standing. He stared back at the saucer as it began hovering above the tram car. The Tri-Light tractor beam once again switched itself on as Alex was covered in different shades of colors. “Lucy!” He cried out as his body began rising from the ground.
“It's okay!” She yelled back.
“I disagree! I don't want to be abducted! I love this planet! I've been here for as along as I can remember!”
“I think you're overreacting.” Lucy told him, crossing her arms. The other people in the tram car stared in mindless wonder as Alex floated away.
“Overreacting?!” He shouted back, his voice an octave higher than normal. “I think this reaction is perfectly normal! If anything, I'm under-reacting!”
“You'll be fine!” Lucy shouted back. “Just Don't think!

A hatch on the underside of the saucer opened. Alex entered. A hatch on the underside of the saucer closed.

Max

Staff member
Awards
I don't don't think this part came out too great, to be honest. But instead of nitpicking at it for another few months, I decided to just go with it and try harder in the coming parts.

Why do you even try to act like you're not secretly some real life author just testing your work out on us? This chapter was really good man. While it was shorter than the others, the length suits the content, it didn't need to be any longer. It was honestly probably the funniest thing you've wrote yet, my eyes were watering up as I laughed and laughed. I'm glad you went ahead and decided to release it, good call man.

If I was doing a survey about this chapter, my statement in the improvement section would read: "This chapter cannot be improved."

“Okay, well can you at least tell me why you didn’t get me an ice cream cone as well?”
“You didn’t ask for one.”
“Of course.”

I love it! I think the dialogue and interactions between your characters really shine in this story. Nothing sounds forced, and it is all very clever. I loved the IFO conversation too. I really hope to start seeing more of this in the future.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
That. Was. Bizarre.

A UFO or IFO happens to abduct a statue of a pelican is the most peculiar of things to happen in a story. More so, when Alex himself gets abducted next. Lucy is cryptic as always. Could Alex not be human? Maybe he's a supernatural being and it never occurred to us until now? It'd be funny if, Alex was suddenly worshipped by his alien abductors and thrust into command. Although, Lucy wouldn't really just stand back and let all of this happen, right? I feel like she could somehow bust through the saucer and save Alex. Eh, I have a wild imagination, so you guys can stop staring at me now. (xD) A great chapter that was well worth the wait.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
That. Was. Bizarre.

A UFO or IFO happens to abduct a statue of a pelican is the most peculiar of things to happen in a story. More so, when Alex himself gets abducted next. Lucy is cryptic as always. Could Alex not be human? Maybe he's a supernatural being and it never occurred to us until now? It'd be funny if, Alex was suddenly worshipped by his alien abductors and thrust into command. Although, Lucy wouldn't really just stand back and let all of this happen, right? I feel like she could somehow bust through the saucer and save Alex. Eh, I have a wild imagination, so you guys can stop staring at me now. (xD) A great chapter that was well worth the wait.

You're so close it almost hurts.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
It's been a really weird week. I wonder if I can use any of this to scratch off a Summer Challenge?? Probably not. edit: shoot, can we change the title of the thread to just "Simple Stuff", please? I'm not allowed hahaha.
---
The cold steel walls that surrounded Alex reminded him of the inside of his toaster oven. Whenever he used his toaster oven at home he was also filled with a wonderful feeling. He would know that he was in for a sweet treat of some kind; maybe it would be a Pop Tart or a bagel. Or perhaps he'd be reheating a leftover slice of pizza or two. Unlike his encounters at home, however, Alex was most definitely not filled with a wonderful feeling. In fact, the feeling that filled him could be described as overly not-wonderful. Indeed, the very last thing Alex felt as he tiptoed down a corridor like he'd rather be barreling up it was 'wonderful.' As un-wonderful as he felt, he marched on in the unknown pastry heater lookalike. In a manner of seconds the corridor ended and he entered a darkened circular room. As soon as he stepped foot inside, bright lights flickered to life and Alex was greeted with Paco, the pelican statue mascot of the Safe and Sound theme park. Alex never realized just how tall the statue was, and as he stepped on to the metal rink that held Paco up, he noticed he only reached up to the pelican's round kneecaps. This caused a wave of heat to rise from Alex's stomach. How dare Paco be taller than him? Just who did this mascot think he was? If it wasn't for the fact he was made of metal, Alex might just have picked a fight with the pelican. Why, Paco wasn't even wearing clothes! Alex decided that this gave him the moral high ground. Instead of laying down the gauntlet, he decided to be the bigger man (metaphorically speaking. The Paco statue dwarfed Alex, after all) and turn the other cheek.

Unfortunately, the moment he did so was the moment he decided that it would be a bad idea. Just in front of the doorway he had just entered were a pair of pink wrinkled floating hams. It took Alex a second to realize the hams resembled two human brains that didn't feel like following the law of gravity. To counteract his cheek turning, he decided to turn the first cheek and face Paco once again.
“I know we've had our differences,” Alex whispered as he hurried behind the statue in fear, “but I would very much like to hide behind you now.” The fact that he was hiding behind Paco's legs—which were only three inches thick and made for a terrible hiding place—did not deter Alex in the slightest. As he cowered behind his metallic rival, Alex couldn't help but wonder just what he was looking at. Surely those weren't a pair of floating brains? And yet there they were, as real as the scrawny pelican legs he was huddled behind. The brain on his right approached the statue, it's voice booming throughout the metal room.
“Oh mighty one! We apologize for disturbing you from your keep, but we have a dire sense of curiosity that needs fulfilling!” The room was silent for two minutes, and it was then Alex realized they were waiting for a response. Given Paco was an inanimate object, this was impossible so Alex decided to give them a hand.
“Um. Go on, then?”
“We have monitored your keep from above for many years and we can not fathom how or why those Earthlings continue to worship you!”
“Worship?”
“Naturally! They would even go so far as to spend their currency in order to worship you and follow your teachings!”
“Teachings?! Those are just roller coasters and rides.”
“How do you do it, noble one? How do you amass a large following that loves you so?”
“Uhhh. I dunno. They just have fun when they come into the park, I guess?”
“Fun!” The second brain's voice reverberated around the room, “Of course, it's all so clear now! It's very apparent why you are a deity!”
“A what? Errm. I mean, thanks?”
“We shall return you home soon, great one. First we must report our findings to our superiors and be told our findings are sufficient.”
“Oh, I understand. I know how it is with bosses and such.”
“Humble too! We thank you, great one!” With that, the two brain-balls turned around and hovered silently out of the room.
“Never could understand brains,” Alex muttered to himself, “bloody awkward organs. Can't even feel them unless they're hurting. Not much good then, are they?” Despite his initial absolute terror from the interior décor, Alex quickly became bored of Paco and decided to explore. Interestingly enough, deciding to explore due to boredom was the number two reason for exploration. These explorations often led to wondrous discoveries such as finding a new vending machine with different snacks in a shopping mall, a fuzzy dog scratching himself in the park, or—the most rare and valuable find of all—a dead body. Most humans would be discouraged (at best) upon the discovery of a body but there are a few who would be pleased by it. They would, of course, not be pleased at being pleased and would most likely seek psychiatric help shortly after, but they would still feel that initial burst of glee for the discovery. With all that said, the number one reason for exploration was, of course, for conquering new lands. The person who followed this reasoning was much more likely to encounter a dead body and even if they didn't, they would probably create one or two on their journey or become one themselves. Ergo, if you want to find a dead body for whatever reason, then exploration for the sake of conquering was your best bet.

Alexander Blanket was, for better or for worse, not going to find a dead body. In fact he wasn't going to find much at all. The toaster-like hallways he blundered through all looked remarkably similar and it didn't take long for him to get lost. More than once he encountered a door that opened as he approached, but those often led him to bare dead ends. The whole area very much reminded him now of a hospital. Not in the sense that it was a place for healing, but rather that the sterile walls and echoing footsteps made him rather uncomfortable and strangely gassy, and he always seemed to get lost in hospitals. Unfortunately, it seemed unlikely that he would find a nurse here to help him find his way, though it was also just as unlikely that he would accidentally wind up in the morgue again, so all in all he decided to call the situation even. He stopped in his tracks suddenly. As if from thin air, another brain-ball appeared ten feet away from him, hovering towards his direction. Alex's first instinct was to hide, but just like the inside of his toaster oven, there was no cover to be found inside the space ship. Instead he decided to incorporate a tactic he had learned from his brief experiences as a secretary: kill them with kindness.
“Why hello there,” Alex went, “fine day for a...uh, float, isn't it?”
“Who said that?!” The brain boomed, twirling this way and that in an attempt to find Alex.
“I said that.”
“Who?!” The brain turned once more but ultimately gave up the chase. “I knew this ship was haunted,” it said to itself as it floated passed Alex, “I told Znart to take the S4-421, but nooo he just had to take the S5 instead. 'Oh but it's got the Tri-Light tractor beam!' he says. Well I hope you enjoyed the beam because we're all going to be possessed out here and kill each other...” The brain went on and on as it bounded ahead, bobbing left and right as it spoke, obviously very interested in what it had to say to itself. Alex sighed. It wasn't the first time he had been ignored so blatantly, but it was the first time it had happened in a space ship. That struck him in a celestial manner he hadn't realize existed. Alex sighed once more for good measure and continued on his way.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
*waves hand* This can count as a summer challenge, if you like.

I hope it's alright for me to say this chapter is bizarre, cause it is. In a good way, of course! I was wholeheartedly amused by Alex's responses with the floating brains. Who knew having a statue could make someone like Alex feel so small? xD Furthermore, the ending had me laughing because, I wouldn't of expected a brain to complain about a haunted space ship considering they can't see in the first place. This was a lot of fun to read overall! I may need to read this story in the beginning to see how Alex has landed on a space ship soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back