• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should some characters be benched going forward?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zach2

Well Yen Sid did mention giving each of them a Gummi Phone so I think the Guardians of Light the will still be active next saga. Honestly I'm hoping Nomura holds back on adding new characters and focuses on the heroes from the previous saga. Especially Kairi who needs as much spotlight and development as possible
Kairi definitely needs it

Terra and Ventus still arent official masters. They could take their MoM exam next game. Bonus would be Riku aiding Terra

Not ready to give up on Kairi just yet despite her terrible treatment in KH3. I can't see her standing around doing nothing after what happens in the ending.
Agreed

disney233

Awards
At the end of the day, does it really matter who'll be the next main character, when EVERY GIVEN MOMENT it'll just volley back to Sora having SOME large importance? I mean...it ain't a Kingdom Hearts series if Sora's inadvertently involved in the grander scheme of things. That being said...there are...just so many characters that needed to be fleshed out, despite Sora or Riku taking the helm. It's a matter of...where to even start with this mess? I mean, I'd vouch for giving Kairi a playable role to FINALLY break this DAMN DAMSEL IN DISTRESS MOLD! But...I...don't see this happening. Anytime soon. for some reasoning.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Honestly, I think the only characters benched are the Xehanorts, and they'll be replaced with The Foretellers so it's not as if we'll get a smaller cast.

The fact of the matter is, the large cast of Kingdom Hearts is the fundamental marketing tool of the franchise at this point. Why else are people still invested in the lore of Union Cross? because we care about the characters involved.

Benching any of the original cast is a liability if they can be better served as storytelling devices.

Story Keeper

Anxious Writer
Awards
Sending out my soul to worlds more beautiful
I don’t think Ven and the Nobodies from the first war will be “benched” for long especially once they remember their past and the Foretellers make their move.

Maybe Kairi, Roxas, Xion and Naminé will be benched. But I don’t think Ventus.

I’d actually like it if it’s a little less Sora focused because it just felt as if KH3 was TOO Sora focused and thus ignored the others and not quite what the game had been promising (or at least to me). So yeah I’d like Sora to take a back seat a little bit more.

The only reason I say Ven and the X-Organization members is because it’s the most logical thing to do because they’re pulling in the Foretellers. Ven and Marluxia were both picked to be Union leaders after the first Keyblade War so it’d be logical to have them encounter the Foretellers. I also expect Marluxia to continue the search for his younger sister (Strezilla) until he learns that she’d been murdered in the past.

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
First on the guys we believe are "benched." Eraqus and Xehanort seem super dead now. I can't really picture them returning except as a brief appearance as force ghosts to give some encouragement or something. Seeing them again in the form of a prequel I'm cool with. I'd love the see their pasts and even if such a prequel lead into future stuff, Eraqus and Xehanort aren't actually back.

Ansem, Xemnas, Vanitas, and Dark Riku/Replica Riku. Now these guys I'm suspicious of their status. In the Ultimania, those four are simply listed as "eliminated", unlike the other Org. XIII members, who are given slightly more explanation. I mean there is more said in Dark Riku's status except it's not specifically on what happens to him, and Terranort's lists him as his heart being eliminated but that hurts my head as he's Xehanort's heart so if his heart is eliminated instead of going back to the past then that screws up everything big time.

But with these four dudes, nothing is said on what happens. Not that they went back to the past. Not the head-hurting "their past hearts blew up. Wait, wouldn't that..?" It's like it's being deliberately vague on what happened to them, and Vanitas' death scene gave me vibes he'll return.

Dark Riku and Replica Riku, I dunno. Dark Riku should have just returned to the past as he's Replica Riku from the past (that's what the Ultimania says), except Xion was also listed as from the past (specifically saying from when she first joined Org. XIII) though also says that she regained her memories from her original heart within Sora. Meaning the Xion we first see is a new heart and her and original Xion merge or whatever. If Xion can be listed as from the past except she really wasn't, then it could be Dark Riku was another new copy as well? Since Replica Riku also needs to be mentioned when talking about DR here, he did the glowing light thing that Eraqus and Xehanort were doing at the end so maybe he's meant to be super dead now too, I dunno. The story being all "clones are people too!" and Replica Riku is just "There's already a Riku. lol Bye." kinda burns my brownies.

For everyone else, I don't want any characters "benched" exactly, but Yen Sid's role in the series needs to be toned down heavily. His main role of Mr. Exposition in KH3 was completely redundant, wasting everyone's time by having him just reiterate what's already known, and just not really doing much at all. I want him going back to just having brief appearances, like in KH2, and not try to shove him in at every plot point.

What KH really needs I think, is shorter games to better focus on individual groups and plotlines, instead of trying to make each title a "full" 20-30 hour game by stretching things out with bad decisions.

ClarkChakram

Are we even so sure that Ventus, Axel, and Saix are even gonna be 'main characters' going forward? This really could just be important supporting characters. Somehow I doubt any of those characters will be main playable characters in a major KH title
I see Ventus being playable again as he is relevant with the plot points of Union x. I would like to think we'll also at least be able to play as Axel, as he is one of the more popular characters and maybe we'll play as him during his Mark of Mastery later on during the Union x saga. I don't think we will be able to play as Isa just because he's not one of the fan favorites. If anything I think we will learn a little more about him and Lea's experience with the mysterious girl.

ClarkChakram

Well Yen Sid did mention giving each of them a Gummi Phone so I think the Guardians of Light the will still be active next saga. Honestly I'm hoping Nomura holds back on adding new characters and focuses on the heroes from the previous saga. Especially Kairi who needs as much spotlight and development as possible
I like these ideas, but I think it's still possible that we'll see quite a few of the main characters and not only on the phone. As for phone abilities I think that we should be able to call other characters during gameplay, not just cutscenes. We should be able to pick music to play from the phone from previous games and maybe various Disney movies (which would be very unique), play various arcade games, and maybe have like an in-game social media, which allows us to post about pictures and different things happening in game. I also agree with you on Kairi needing more development. Although I think KH3 did somewhat of a better job with development for Kairi, I was disappointed we didn't get to play as her, and I think whenever they decide to let us play as her, it will be a fantastic experience.

Back