• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should some characters be benched going forward?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

The Kid

Awards
I really enjoyed KH3 but one thing I def noticed is that the franchise clearly struggles with incorporating many different main characters. One of the questions we have going forward is who will play a big role in future games. Well, I think people are assuming Ventus, Axel, and Saix will but should the rest of the 'Lights' play a big role too.

Considering there are probably going to be a whole bunch of new characters with the Foretellers and Nomura's version of Noctis, it'd be tough to give everyone an important role going forward.

I kinda want KH4 to go back to the basics and focus mostly on Sora and Riku ( and Donald, Goofy, and Mickey obviously). I like the other characters but they pretty much all got a happy (tho rushed) ending at the end of KH3. And if they're gonna be as unimportant as they often felt in KH3, you may as well just retire them outside of the occasional cameo.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Well Yen Sid did mention giving each of them a Gummi Phone so I think the Guardians of Light the will still be active next saga. Honestly I'm hoping Nomura holds back on adding new characters and focuses on the heroes from the previous saga. Especially Kairi who needs as much spotlight and development as possible

Last edited:

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I figured Axel and Saix types would take a back seat, but apparently not. Nomura set them up for future stuff. Ven is guaranteed to be involved in future plot. All of TAV might because clearly there was more going on either Eraqus, Xehanort, Land of Departure, and all that. I kinda feel like Terra's story is done... but I dunno. Maybe there's more for him to do. Eraqus left him with the task of protecting Aqua and Ven so... dunno. Aqua needs a break, but it'd be so cool for her to take her proper role as leader.

Unexpected types such as Roxas, Xion, and Namine might be taking a seat, especially due to their screentime in KH3. Kairi too.

The Kid

Awards
Well Yen Sid did mention giving each of them a Gummi Phone so I think the Guardians of Light the will still be active next saga. Honestly I'm hoping Nomura holds back on adding new characters and focuses on the heroes from the previous saga. Especially Kairi who needs as much spotlight and development as possible
Unfortunately, that time has passed. KH3 is where this needed to happen. The game has pretty cemented her as Sora's designated love interest/damsel and I can't really see that changing

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Terra and Ventus still arent official masters. They could take their MoM exam next game. Bonus would be Riku aiding Terra

Unfortunately, that time has passed. KH3 is where this needed to happen. The game has pretty cemented her as Sora's designated love interest/damsel and I can't really see that changing
Not ready to give up on Kairi just yet despite her terrible treatment in KH3. I can't see her standing around doing nothing after what happens in the ending.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I'd rather they be given their own games or something again instead of smashing them all into one game and thus not having enough time for them all to actually do much of anything.

As others have said TAV aren't going anywhere, neither are Lea or Isa...I don't see Roxas and Xion leaving either then.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
If Nomura feels that he struggled with writing the story this time around due to the amount of characters that had to have their issues resolved, I don't think he's going to make the next title as "busy". Some characters will probably make an appearance here and there, but I don't think it's going to be like KH3 again, since the only reason why we had so many characters is due to the Guardians of Light role.

It's like My Hero Academia - Not every saga is going to be Bakugo-focused, some are going to give Kirishima and Kaminari some shine. You give characters their own time to shine instead of cramming everyone in one saga.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think the side games (DLC?) can be used to flesh out the side characters.

I definitely can see lesser Organization members being relegated to standing in the background doing nothing (a la Dilan and Aeleus). KH3 also sort of cleansed out a bunch of characters, so it might be easier to juggle and write the story now. He really needs to avoid making several characters the same person again.

People whose roles will be reduced:
Dilan
Aeleus
Ienzo
Ansem The Wise
Namine
Terra

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

I definitely can see lesser Organization members being relegated to standing in the background doing nothing (a la Dilan and Aeleus). KH3 also sort of cleansed out a bunch of characters, so it might be easier to juggle and write the story now. He really needs to avoid making several characters the same person again.

Dilan
Aeleus
Ienzo
Ansem The Wise
Namine
Terra

I guess Ansem has some info on Subject X/Skuld. But still that would be a reduced role if that's really all he is helpful for in the next story arc.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I guess Ansem has some info on Subject X/Skuld. But still that would be a reduced role if that's really all he is helpful for in the next story arc.

I feel like the name "Ansem" will automatically link him to the Xehanort Saga, which I believe Nomura wants to move away from now that it's done. If anything, I think they might have Ienzo talk for Ansem going forward.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I feel like the name "Ansem" will automatically link him to the Xehanort Saga, which I believe Nomura wants to move away from now that it's done. If anything, I think they might have Ienzo talk for Ansem going forward.

Huh, that is possible. I would be fine with it, I really don't even like the dude lol. I guess his helping Roxas and Namine bodies were his way of "atoning"

Awards
I actually only want characters important for the new saga to be important. Like lea, ventus, and isa. The others I don't care about anymore.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Terra and Ventus still arent official masters. They could take their MoM exam next game. Bonus would be Riku aiding Terra

Not ready to give up on Kairi just yet despite her terrible treatment in KH3. I can't see her standing around doing nothing after what happens in the ending.

I guess those are still two plotlines for those characters , though I don't think there's any rush to resolve those. Terra becoming a master can be put on the backburner for a few games.

I agree it wouldn't fit Kairi's character and personality established in the games, but it would suit how the KH writing team has written her in the past sadly.
Let's hope for the best regarding our most neglected main character. I'm still pining for her to get a game in which she's playable.

Dilan
Aeleus
Ienzo
Ansem The Wise
Namine
Terra

I do agree that Ansem and his Apprentices will most likely play smaller roles moving forward. They might be contacted for Subject X's info, but I don't see their role being bigger than Ienzo's was in DDD.

Terra might stay back on the land of Departure to guard it, which could reduce his role for a bit. Aqua might as well, but I don't think it would be wise for them to bench their most popular female character.
Plus I doubt they'd let Ven go at this a lone so Aqua might be there for him on his journey.

I would prefer for Naminé to still factor into the story, just maybe in a supporting role, kind of like Yen Sid does.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I guess those are still two plotlines for those characters , though I don't think there's any rush to resolve those. Terra becoming a master can be put on the backburner for a few games.

I agree it wouldn't fit Kairi's character and personality established in the games, but it would suit how the KH writing team has written her in the past sadly.
Let's hope for the best regarding our most neglected main character. I'm still pining for her to get a game in which she's playable.

I do agree that Ansem and his Apprentices will most likely play smaller roles moving forward. They might be contacted for Subject X's info, but I don't see their role being bigger than Ienzo's was in DDD.

Terra might stay back on the land of Departure to guard it, which could reduce his role for a bit. Aqua might as well, but I don't think it would be wise for them to bench their most popular female character.
Plus I doubt they'd let Ven go at this a lone so Aqua might be there for him on his journey.

I would prefer for Naminé to still factor into the story, just maybe in a supporting role, kind of like Yen Sid does.

Terra and Ventus "becoming Masters" isn't even a real important plot point anyways considering the setup that now lays out.
While Ventus will certainly be the central character of the BBS crew going forward with all the X-era stuff and his connection to the "X" girl from Isa's and Lea's subplot if she's indeed Skuld, I doubt that Aqua and Terra will take a backseat.
Those three have just been reunited and I doubt that Terra's and Aqua's strong protective streak for Ventus is gone so they will tag along with him and give support.

Except of course if Terra and Aqua become mission control characters with LoD as a base while Ventus travels with Lea and Isa.
Roxas and Xion might also be involved but I can also easily see them staying in Twilight Town with HPO and possibly Naminé, appearing as wandering NPCs when the world is visited.
Same goes for Ansem the Wise, Ienzo and the other apprentices, they will probably have a role that amounts to secondary support characters that make small cameos there and then to remind that they still exist.

Regarding Kairi I am literally at a loss since it seems that whenever they decide to let her leave the islands somehow she gets into trouble and has to be saved in some manner, also sometimes of no fault of her own.

If one looks at the epilogue and secret ending back-to-back, it looks like there's a setup for a split narrative at least for the first act of the new saga, with Lea, Isa, Ventus and the others having to deal with the returned Foretellers and the mysteries of the X-era including Skuld, Ephemer and Strelitzia.
Lauriam, Elrena and the other two will probably also pop up down the line somewhere.
The other side will involve Riku who's apparently looking for Sora (and as it now stands so far without Kairi), Yozora, the MoM, possibly the TWEWY cast and whatever this whole mess is additionally about.

MelodicEnigma

Awards
Website
twitter.com
If one looks at the epilogue and secret ending back-to-back, it looks like there's a setup for a split narrative at least for the first act of the new saga, with Lea, Isa, Ventus and the others having to deal with the returned Foretellers and the mysteries of the X-era including Skuld, Ephemer and Strelitzia.
Lauriam, Elrena and the other two will probably also pop up down the line somewhere.
The other side will involve Riku who's apparently looking for Sora (and as it now stands so far without Kairi), Yozora, the MoM, possibly the TWEWY cast and whatever this whole mess is additionally about.

Yep yep. I wouldn't be surprised if we'd have parallel groups dealing with these things separately, perhaps to come together once again when the narratives truly line up. It'd be a good way to keep a balanced relevance between all parties (and, maybe this'll make character agency easier for Nomura to deal with, heh).

The Kid

Awards
Are we even so sure that Ventus, Axel, and Saix are even gonna be 'main characters' going forward? This really could just be important supporting characters. Somehow I doubt any of those characters will be main playable characters in a major KH title

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I have dreams of Xion helming a KH-title with two female Disney sidekicks. We have all of these heroes, why not actually use them?

Xagzan

Awards
Depending on what they do or don't do with DLC, I would 100% not bench anyone on the KH3 box cover.

ryder16

it sorta felt like Terra, Xion and Roxas were benched in 3. so my hope is that they continue. but that my opinion.

Back