• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Politics Should society accept Polygamy?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sonofjafar

Awards
If a person wants more than one spouse and everyone involved is cool with it, should society allow it or is this one of those things that would give the far right canon fodder for their “sanctity of marriage” argument? I don’t really have a concrete opinion on the matter so feel free to give me yours.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Society should accept polyamory. It's not for everybody, but I think it would eliminate a lot of stress that is caused by needing to be monogamous. People aren't monoliths. They can and should be allowed to like multiple people at once, and shouldn't be shamed by their partners or society for feeling that way. And as long as everybody involved consents, then there shouldn't be any issue.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Yes. The key factor is consent. All parties should be consenting. People who aren't cool with sharing shouldn't be shamed into sharing and people who want to share should be allowed to freely without ridicule or punishment.

"Sanctity of marriage" only matters to people who believe in it, just like religion. If a group of polygamous people, for example, can prove they are cohabiting in a family unit like a married couple would, maybe we should reconsider how laws and tax benefits work in that case.

Back