• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should romance be confirmed in KH3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Should romance be confirmed in KH3?

• Yes

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • "I have no strong feelings one way or the other."

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I
I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the possibility was such a big thing in KH2. There were so many not-so-subtle hints in that game that I think a lot of fans thought that it would happen eventually. But then four more games happen, it's barely been touched upon again which is why I think the fanbase is now divided since all the games released after KH2 built more on friendship than romance.

You have just said it yourself: "Possibility", just like for a myriad other possible pairings there were many hints that could be taken as romantic if you tick that way or want to interpret it like that.
There were/are however also enough people who didn't/don't interpret it the romantic way.
Granted, some of the hints especially in KH2 were pretty blatant especially on the SoKai-front, but that can be also attributed to the difference between western audiences and japanese when it comes to physical contact and display of physical closeness. The westerners often tend to imply romantic interest everywhere while it can in the same context mean everything from just a very close friendship, sibling-like affection or simply a sort of admiration.

The fanbase was always divided especially on that topic, not to mention all the shipping madness with this series gets really out of hand more often than not.
I remember when we got the first substantial trailers for BBS the Terra/Aqua, Aqua/Ven and Terra/Ven shippers were already running rampant before the game was even released.

Wasn't Kairi brought up again (not sure if thats another hint) In KH: 358/2 Days since Xion looked like Kairi due to the fact that she was Sora's Strongest memories, I mean afterall Riku did say "To Sora, she's someone very special". I know "Special" can mean anything.
:D

It can of course be seen that way, because it is Nomura's intention that you can see it in different shades. You can also argue that, to Sora, Riku, Donald and Goofy are also people very special and that amount of people is rising the further the series goes on.

The main reason Xion looks like a black-haired Kairi (which she only does to Roxas, at least only that is confirmed btw, everyone sees her different) is that Sora's memories that had to do with Kairi were the ones that were messed the most with by Naminé, and those were thus the first that could be absorbed by Xion's inherent memory leeching ability.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Japan is not a country generally known for being super open to PDA.

Also, Sora/Kairi is totally a thing. Like, from KH1, it was totally a thing. I don't even know how this is in contention.

Youniquee

Awards

Also, Sora/Kairi is totally a thing. Like, from KH1, it was totally a thing. I don't even know how this is in contention.

I've got to disagree on this...may have been implied they were an item in KH1 but that just dwindled after KH1 into nothingness...as others were saying in another thread, their friendship hasn't been developed that much. Also, their relationship can easily be interpreted as friendship tbh.

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

Agreed. They've never beaten us over the head with it, and I personally appreciate that (it's hardly the highlight of the series to me), but it's definitely a real thing. For anyone to deny that there's something happening between Sora and Kairi is to actively choose to ignore the not-so-subtle evidence to the contrary, given even the little development it's afforded. And this is coming from someone who doesn't particularly care for either characters, or their relationship.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I've got to disagree on this...may have been implied they were an item in KH1 but that just dwindled after KH1 into nothingness...as others were saying in another thread, their friendship hasn't been developed that much. Also, their relationship can easily be interpreted as friendship tbh.

They may be awkward teenagers who haven't actually gotten together yet, but it's pretty clear that they've got a thing for each other.

I mean, unless you're inclined to think that two guys competing to give something to a girl are doing so because they just really want to be closer friends.

I'm not even saying it's a huge part of the series, but it's kinda indisputably there.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
They may be awkward teenagers who haven't actually gotten together yet, but it's pretty clear that they've got a thing for each other.

I mean, unless you're inclined to think that two guys competing to give something to a girl are doing so because they just really want to be closer friends.

I'm not even saying it's a huge part of the series, but it's kinda indisputably there.

you just took the words right out of my mouth. i dont see how people can deny sora and kairi have feelings for each other.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards

This brings up an issue I've had for a while in that there's been a lot of debate over whether or not Sora and Kairi should be together/should KH have romance but rarely have there been brought up reasons as to whyit should happen. There has been plenty of reasons against it but not many in support outside of "I like this pairing and I want it to happen". While I disagree with his points at least this Youtuber tried to give reasons for it.

I mainly disagree with his points because most of his argument boils down to "it's so obvious they like each other!" Which to my response is...so? He said it himself that Sora likes everyone and I don't get his argument that if someone says that if Sora likes someone then that person must be really special? Besides the main reason that many people don't want Sora and Kairi to end up together (unless it's someone who just has unfiltered hatred for the pairing) is because they want things left open ended. There's a difference between denying something and leaving something unconfirmed and the reason people keep bringing up how Nomura doesn't care about pairings and how he likes for fans to come up with their own conclusions is to emphasize how SoKai may not be confirmed. Not denied, just unconfirmed. Depending on how you interpret their relationship and looking at how it's played out so far, if it's never confirmed the audience can assume they got together sometime after the series ended. Just as well people can conclude that Sora and Riku eventually end up as Butt-Buddies~

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the possibility was such a big thing in KH2. There were so many not-so-subtle hints in that game that I think a lot of fans thought that it would happen eventually. But then four more games happen, it's barely been touched upon again which is why I think the fanbase is now divided since all the games released after KH2 built more on friendship than romance.

This reminds me, I was writing an observation about the first reunion scene among SRK in KH2, buuuuuuutttt...I got lazy. :p

I believe it was Sign that mentioned that she interpreted Sora liking the idea of Kairi. Which I agree with. For a bunch reasons and interpretations I won't go into much here because it'd take too long and I'm writing it else where anyway I'll give the short version.

Looking at Sora's character throughout the first three games I think Sora may have romanticized the idea of Kairi. Between Namine manipulating his memories "making their relationship stronger" and Sora just plain missing her because he hadn't seen her in forever, it was during KH2 when he seemed to be thinking fondly if her the most. The thing is though the Kairi that Sora missed was KH1 Kairi. The giggly, bouncy, tom boyish Kairi. The issue with that, is Kairi isn't like that anymore. Living her mundane, some what lonely, life on the islands had made her somewhat demure and even distant.

Sora took note right away when they were face to face at TWTNW, the first thing he tells her is that she was "different" while keeping a distance. He was glad to see Kairi and that she was okay and all but she's not exactly the Kairi he was fantasizing about the whole game. He imagined dancing with the energetic girl who liked to laugh and did so for seemingly no reason and could hang out with the boys. KH2 Kairi was subdued, didn't laugh much, and it's implied that she started hanging out with Selphie more after Sora and Riku were gone and had become more feminine.

Basically, Sora and Kairi aren't as compatible as they used to be. They grew up with each other and probably saw each other almost everyday for almost a decade but after about a year they're not exactly on the same page anymore. It's not to say that their relationship is destroyed or anything but if there were qualities in Kairi that Sora once saw as attractive (as in a potential girlfriend sort of way), some of them aren't there anymore. Kairi may have accidentally destroyed (somewhat) Sora's perspective of herself which could attribute as to why he seemed sort of cold when they met. If throughout KH2 the game was trying to play with the audiences (or Sora's) expectations of the hero getting his dream girl, then their anticlimactic meeting can be interpreted as way of saying "it's not happening". Kairi doesn't seem to care either way but it seems to bother Sora. Thought I can get into how their wants and perspective differ in relation to Namine's magical memory wipe and how it effected them as people but I think that's a whole other can of worms...p:

That's my interpretation of things anyway.

*prances away and dives into hidey-whole*

Sokai4vr951

^Its ok i have no problem with how you interpret the relations between Sora and Kairi, its your opinion and you don't offend me for what i believe, after all HMK9CAPN did say at the end he hopes this topic doesn't cause any concerns among the fans who have different character shippings

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
This brings up an issue I've had for a while in that there's been a lot of debate over whether or not Sora and Kairi should be together/should KH have romance but rarely have there been brought up reasons as to whyit should happen. There has been plenty of reasons against it but not many in support outside of "I like this pairing and I want it to happen". While I disagree with his points at least this Youtuber tried to give reasons for it.

I mainly disagree with his points because most of his argument boils down to "it's so obvious they like each other!" Which to my response is...so? He said it himself that Sora likes everyone and I don't get his argument that if someone says that if Sora likes someone then that person must be really special? Besides the main reason that many people don't want Sora and Kairi to end up together (unless it's someone who just has unfiltered hatred for the pairing) is because they want things left open ended. There's a difference between denying something and leaving something unconfirmed and the reason people keep bringing up how Nomura doesn't care about pairings and how he likes for fans to come up with their own conclusions is to emphasize how SoKai may not be confirmed. Not denied, just unconfirmed. Depending on how you interpret their relationship and looking at how it's played out so far, if it's never confirmed the audience can assume they got together sometime after the series ended. Just as well people can conclude that Sora and Riku eventually end up as Butt-Buddies~

This reminds me, I was writing an observation about the first reunion scene among SRK in KH2, buuuuuuutttt...I got lazy. :p

I believe it was Sign that mentioned that she interpreted Sora liking the idea of Kairi. Which I agree with. For a bunch reasons and interpretations I won't go into much here because it'd take too long and I'm writing it else where anyway I'll give the short version.

Looking at Sora's character throughout the first three games I think Sora may have romanticized the idea of Kairi. Between Namine manipulating his memories "making their relationship stronger" and Sora just plain missing her because he hadn't seen her in forever, it was during KH2 when he seemed to be thinking fondly if her the most. The thing is though the Kairi that Sora missed was KH1 Kairi. The giggly, bouncy, tom boyish Kairi. The issue with that, is Kairi isn't like that anymore. Living her mundane, some what lonely, life on the islands had made her somewhat demure and even distant.

Sora took note right away when they were face to face at TWTNW, the first thing he tells her is that she was "different" while keeping a distance. He was glad to see Kairi and that she was okay and all but she's not exactly the Kairi he was fantasizing about the whole game. He imagined dancing with the energetic girl who liked to laugh and did so for seemingly no reason and could hang out with the boys. KH2 Kairi was subdued, didn't laugh much, and it's implied that she started hanging out with Selphie more after Sora and Riku were gone and had become more feminine.

Basically, Sora and Kairi aren't as compatible as they used to be. They grew up with each other and probably saw each other almost everyday for almost a decade but after about a year they're not exactly on the same page anymore. It's not to say that their relationship is destroyed or anything but if there were qualities in Kairi that Sora once saw as attractive (as in a potential girlfriend sort of way), some of them aren't there anymore. Kairi may have accidentally destroyed (somewhat) Sora's perspective of herself which could attribute as to why he seemed sort of cold when they met. If throughout KH2 the game was trying to play with the audiences (or Sora's) expectations of the hero getting his dream girl, then their anticlimactic meeting can be interpreted as way of saying "it's not happening". Kairi doesn't seem to care either way but it seems to bother Sora. Thought I can get into how their wants and perspective differ in relation to Namine's magical memory wipe and how it effected them as people but I think that's a whole other can of worms...p:

Interesting intepretation. I guess we will have to wait and see in kh3 to see how much their relationship has changed.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I think the important thing to remember here is that (for those of us that do want a romance confirmed) it doesn't have to happen in KH3. Even though it would be nice since this is a numbered title (because those are apparently more important than other games... not), the series will continue. So even if KH3 ends like KH2 where there's a cute little moment between Sora and Kairi but nothing really happens, that's fine. We have a whole second saga to look forward to. If and when Nomura decides to make a solid, canon relationship between anyone in the series, he can easily save it for later.

Besides, if Sora and Kairi become a full blown couple in KH3, the next saga will have them as such and that could lead to some really corny scenes/dialogue. Or worse, we might even see them having "issues" in their relationship. *gag*

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't like when they just drag a romance out so much even though it's so obvious so I really hope Sora and Kairi finally acknowledge their feelings

Besides, if Sora and Kairi become a full blown couple in KH3, the next saga will have them as such and that could lead to some really corny scenes/dialogue. Or worse, we might even see them having "issues" in their relationship. *gag*

That would be a lot worse though so it depends how well they can write it in to the next saga

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I think the important thing to remember here is that (for those of us that do want a romance confirmed) it doesn't have to happen in KH3. Even though it would be nice since this is a numbered title (because those are apparently more important than other games... not), the series will continue. So even if KH3 ends like KH2 where there's a cute little moment between Sora and Kairi but nothing really happens, that's fine. We have a whole second saga to look forward to. If and when Nomura decides to make a solid, canon relationship between anyone in the series, he can easily save it for later.

developing their romance in the next saga would probably be the best route. if it was done in kh3, then it would get in the way of other important plot points

Wave57

Awards
"I have no strong feelings one way or the other"
[video=youtube;CxK_nA2iVXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxK_nA2iVXw[/video]

Anyways, I wouldn't mind if it happens or doesn't happen. However, if some sort of romantic moment happens, I want it to be small in the scheme of things. Maybe sharing a Paopu fruit like others had suggested would suffice.

I guess I would prefer to have it be acknowledged, and that is it. Best example I have is that let's a say a time jump happens, it shows that they have a kid. Doesn't focus on any of the romance, but shows that it was certainly there. (Note, I don't want any sort of time jump at all, just an example.)

Last edited:

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Wow. I think it's the first I've ever heard of that reunion from Soras pov. Very interesting and perceptive. Anyone would be surprised by such a change.

Though Blank Points, arguably, gives us another hint at the possibility of romance.

Either way, I'm somewhat indifferent as to whether or not it gets confirmed in the end. If it does, their relationship does need to be rebuilt somewhat. If not, I won't lament it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back