• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should parents be allowed to name their children ANYTHING they want?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
I first heard about this on the radio yesterday,

[CLICK HERE] JUDGE CONDEMNS BIZARRE NAMES

Some of the names are quite ridiculous. "Number 16 Bus Shelter" leaves nothing to the imagination about that child's conception....

There was another I heard, where the parents had twins and called them 'Benson' and 'Hedges', which is less bad, but still not quite sane.

Do you think parents have the right to call their child whatever they like? Considering that children can change their name by deed poll when they're old enough.

Or do you think that names ought to be approved before the child has to lead a life of perpetual embarrassment?

D I S C U S S

M

Marluxia.light

Re: Should parents be allowed to name their children ANYTHING they want

No they shouldn't get what they want. Then they'll get spoiled and not listen to them.

Vice

SF
Awards
Website
www.myspace.com

Well i think the Celebrities are the worst people to name there Kids.

Like Apple, Who the hell names there Kids Apple.

There are a ton of Celebrities that are so stupid.

T

tazztig

I don't think the parent should call there children whatever. They should respect them like there a human, which they are.
They also shouldn't give them whatever because like Marluixa said? They'll get spoiled and ask for whatever, because they know that the parents will give it to him.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour

Yeah. I guess celebrities probably started this trend of 'unique' names by wanting their children to stand out.
And now people are just being silly. It's hard to see how names such as 'Sex Fruit' can realistically have any deep significance to the parents.

~Can a mod pleaseeee put a question mark on the end of the thread title, as it's going to bug me. Thanks.

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards

There doesn't need to a federal law and list that says you can't give this name but parents should just really think what they would like their child called the rest of their life and if there will be any repercussions. I mean if you name your child Bunny expect to be paying for therapy sessions once they hit grade school.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour

Lol. One of my best friends is called Bunny! But she loves it, and she's so adorable that it totally suits her.

The thing is, apparently some parents DONT think about the repercussions for their children, and the children end up suffering, and people wont take them seriously in later life, especially when they're applying for jobs etc.

Et Cetera

Bronze Member
Like Apple, Who the hell names there Kids Apple.
Or Pilot Inspektor XD.
-
Maybe we can just give newborns a number, then when they're about eight years old, they can choose they're own name.

EDIT:
Swedish tax authorities informed a Stockholm couple they must change the name of their 5-month-old baby girl Elvis. Another Swedish family recently won a protracted battle to ensure their daughter was allowed to keep the name Metallica.
This is amazing.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA

No. The only reason Im the person I am today is because my parents were hardass. I didnt like it back then, but now I thank them dearly for that. If they would've let me do whatever I wanted, who knows where I'd be at this moment.

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards

Lol. One of my best friends is called Bunny! But she loves it, and she's so adorable that it totally suits her.

wow. there was actually one girl in my school, her name is Slim, no joke. It'd be funny if she had a boyfriend named Jim.

Gabo

The boy who blocked his own shot

I think there should be some moderation on names.
Its odd.
Its cruel to the child to give them such a name, but to take a way the right to name the child what they wish, isn't that an infringement of rights?
~shrugs~

And yes, children can change their name at a certain age.
But that age, in most places is 18 which means they've most likely had a reasonably embarrassing and torturous childhood.
IDK.
Its really hard to say.

I suppose the best thing would be to have laws against children being named inappropriate things but, idk.
At the same time, something about that doesn't seem right

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!

No. The only reason Im the person I am today is because my parents were hardass. I didnt like it back then, but now I thank them dearly for that. If they would've let me do whatever I wanted, who knows where I'd be at this moment.

Yeah, your point works for SOME things, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your name isn't Number 16 Bus Shelter.

>_________>

Anyway, I think it's sad for the kid, and eighteen years is a lot to wait through in order to change your name. But I don't know the specific requirements for changing it, so who knows?

If my parents had named me... Midnight Chardonnay, I'd be changing that.

Or killing them. Whichever came first.

If the name's really stupid, the kid should be able to appeal to some sort of Name Police to change it to something normal. They could just flag stupid names. ._. In a perfect world.

My sister says that if she were the nurse taking down the names, she'd name children whatever SHE wanted. Like, she'd just change it for them. "Number 16 Bus Shelter, yeah, totally writing that down. -writes Bruce Peterson-" >.>

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc

Eh, I think there's nothing wrong with having an unusual name, but I think it gets to a point where the name isn't just unusual, it's freakish. :/ I mean, the parents have to think of their children. Dunno about them but I'd hate to know my child was being bullied in school for having a weird name I gave it. Fair enough if the child could shrug it off, but otherwise...

<3

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards

Oh gawd you guise should see my brother's name. It's horrendous. And that's the reason I'd have to agree with Snow. I really hate it if my kid got his/her ass kicked over their name.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards

Honestly, it just sounds stupid.

I saw whoever would want to name their child something like Fish and Chips should be flogged and shouldn't be able to HAVE children.

Αzerin

?Templar Queen?
Website
magistream.com

>_> i think there should be SOME kind of rules on names. Not sure what the rules would be but yea. People seem to just pick out some random nonsense or throw together some bizarre name. It's sad.. i heard of one person who didnt know what to name her girl, so she just said "Baby Girl" =/

and, going with what Dantez of Divinity said,... one woman did make a name by just looking at an object and using that.... the object was a "No Smoking" sign...

marlousmiracle

For the Future
Website
www.myspace.com

The parents should be mature enough not to do something disgraceful as that. "Sex Fruit"?!?!?!?! Wow bad parents.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards

I was thinking about screwing my kid over with 'D!ck Butkiss (insert last name here)" but now that I've seen this thread it changes my mind completely...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back