• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should Kingdom Hearts Get Rebooted?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

des97

Awards
Please do tell me how would anyone confuse Ven with Roxas now that we know they are different. Rebooting a game without significantly changing the story has a huge flaw -> the fact that there are no surprises left for us. Nobody would be surprised at anything. Yes-yes certain plot points or scenes would be done better (I'm looking at the infamous Riku vs Roxas scene, which is quite weird now), and of course Kairi would actually utter proper sentences for a change. But at the end of the day you wouldn't change the main plot points, which means that most of the things you didn't like, would remain quite the same.
I don't know man, I just want Kingdom Hearts to be better so when I replay the games I do not encounter any plotholes.

Griewer

Awards
I don't know man, I just want Kingdom Hearts to be better so when I replay the games I do not encounter any plotholes.

I do agree, that Nomura should be given a story supervision squadron, who could point out the odd bits of the story, and the possible plotholes. But to be honest, at the speed KH games are released... I wouldn't want SE to spend precious time and money on rebooting the first saga (and its 10-12 different titles).

des97

Awards
I do agree, that Nomura should be given a story supervision squadron, who could point out the odd bits of the story, and the possible plotholes. But to be honest, at the speed KH games are released... I wouldn't want SE to spend precious time and money on rebooting the first saga (and its 10-12 different titles).
Yep, I'm no way implying this should be done in a few years. It could take as long as needed, maybe a Dark Seeker Saga reboot in like a decade? When it's the right time to hit us with nostalgia.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Mhhh... is there such a thing as a "soft reboot"? Because the series doesn't really need to get rebooted, but some elements definitely needed to be presented, or even written better. And not all of them are things you can change afterwards without going against what the series established.

No one said to throw Nomura out of the franchise, but rather out, keep him out of the writing and only see him as an ideas man.

And Metal Gear is above Kojima. Ask him himself: METAL GEAR SOLID 2 is an ode to his team being capable enough.

I wouldn't even go that far.
Nomura can still be involved with the scenario but he certainly needs a team of writers to proofread his stuff and actually tell him when shit makes no sense.

The main problem is Nomura doing all the scenario writing alone.

That being said, an actual reboot is not needed at all.
I swear this topic seems to pop up every second year or so.

Exactly. Nomura out of the writing team or within it but with limitations/supervision isn't "Kingdom Hearts without Nomura". I'd even say it's common sense, since even the most able writer is just one person and might need help with covering all bases or hearing different angles. I write stories and man if I know how much of this is true.
Either way, Nomura definitely has much room for improvement in his writing skills and picked up some bad habits he should try to grow out of.

Bringing Kojima into this actually gives much more ground for us claiming Nomura needs to be helped and/or supervised: some of them are mostly a meme, but there are definitely a lot of famous instances where Kojima wanted to do something absolutely crazy with his games and was prevented to do so. I like to think that those interferences also helped making Metal Gear as big and great as it was.
Giving carte blanche to one persone under the guise that "only they can do the job" or that it wouldn't be the same can actually become detrimental to the project itself.
We're all humans and not every single one of our ideas is perfect as soon as we think it. And self-reviewing them is extremely hard, given that of course our own idea sounds great to us.

D

Deleted member 246005

Mhhh... is there such a thing as a "soft reboot"? Because the series doesn't really need to get rebooted, but some elements definitely needed to be presented, or even written better. And not all of them are things you can change afterwards without going against what the series established.

Exactly. Nomura out of the writing team or within it but with limitations/supervision isn't "Kingdom Hearts without Nomura". I'd even say it's common sense, since even the most able writer is just one person and might need help with covering all bases or hearing different angles. I write stories and man if I know how much of this is true.
Either way, Nomura definitely has much room for improvement in his writing skills and picked up some bad habits he should try to grow out of.

Bringing Kojima into this actually gives much more ground for us claiming Nomura needs to be helped and/or supervised: some of them are mostly a meme, but there are definitely a lot of famous instances where Kojima wanted to do something absolutely crazy with his games and was prevented to do so. I like to think that those interferences also helped making Metal Gear as big and great as it was.
Giving carte blanche to one persone under the guise that "only they can do the job" or that it wouldn't be the same can actually become detrimental to the project itself.
We're all humans and not every single one of our ideas is perfect as soon as we think it. And self-reviewing them is extremely hard, given that of course our own idea sounds great to us.

Soft reboots do exist as DC does them all the time. They don't work well because DC either changes too much, changes too little or doesn't commit to their changes. They try to bend over backward to fix it and often make a bigger mess in the process.

The difference is hard reboots is an everything must go approach while soft reboots keep a few. Like a soft reboot for KH would be just keeping KH1 and tossing everything else out. You could expand to keeping Kh1/CoM or KH1/CoM/KH2 but the point remains.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I like the series just the way it is to be honest.
It's not perfect, there are things I don't like, but that's fine.

And I'd be pissed if they reset everything before seeing the χ​ saga to completion 'cause I love it so far

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Soft reboots do exist as DC does them all the time. They don't work well because DC either changes too much, changes too little or doesn't commit to their changes. They try to bend over backward to fix it and often make a bigger mess in the process.

The difference is hard reboots is an everything must go approach while soft reboots keep a few. Like a soft reboot for KH would be just keeping KH1 and tossing everything else out. You could expand to keeping Kh1/CoM or KH1/CoM/KH2 but the point remains.

Okay, so they do exist but they're gimmick-y to do. Gotcha.
Well not even I feel like going that far, no. BbS establishes basically the new course for the series and I don't think removing it completely would keep the spirit intact.

D

Deleted member 246005

Okay, so they do exist but they're gimmick-y to do. Gotcha.
Well not even I feel like going that far, no. BbS establishes basically the new course for the series and I don't think removing it completely would keep the spirit intact.

You could keep BBS if you want. I just started to get jaded in the Xehanort saga so I rather not do it again. Or I rather just streamline it down to make it more manageable.

Someone once asked about doing the series without nobodies so I started to think about that thread. Granted I probably would do the Xehanort stuff but differently.

At best the only stories I'd get rid off is Days and Coded. Everything I'd just whip into shape like DDD.

Reboots are gimmicky and not really needed outside of Marvel/DC or public domain properties like Sherlock Holmes.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I think things are going to get worse because of how giddy Nomura is with the KHx lore and now that he's adding his Versus XIII ideas.

Or, y'know, since he's implementing Versus, he could try to be more competent now.

But again, Nomura can be a competent writer. FINAL FANTASY XV is basically his work, minus Lunafreya.

D

Deleted member 246005

I think things are going to get worse because of how giddy Nomura is with the KHx lore and now that he's adding his Versus XIII ideas.

Or, y'know, since he's implementing Versus, he could try to be more competent now.

But again, Nomura can be a competent writer. FINAL FANTASY XV is basically his work, minus Lunafreya.

I disagree with this because who came up with the idea and who wrote the story are often two separate things. That's why comics often separate the two in the credits page. For example, an issue of Spider-man would have a "created by stan lee and steve ditko" credit but "written by nick spencer and art by Ryan ottley" or whoever did the issue.

So Nomura should get the created "by" credit for XV because his ideas for Versus 13 laid the framework for XV. But another director and other writers came in and shaped his ideas their own way. They also did the actual work of writing the game script page to page (etc) and how the game turned out "roses and thorns" are theirs more than his.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I disagree with this because who came up with the idea and who wrote the story are often two separate things. That's why comics often separate the two in the credits page. For example, an issue of Spider-man would have a "created by stan lee and steve ditko" credit but "written by nick spencer and art by Ryan ottley" or whoever did the issue.

So Nomura should get the created "by" credit for XV because his ideas for Versus 13 laid the framework for XV. But another director and other writers came in and shaped his ideas their own way. They also did the actual work of writing the game script page to page (etc) and how the game turned out "roses and thorns" are theirs more than his.

FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII was originally a trilogy. About 90% of the project's script was done. They shafted Stella Nox Fleuret in favor of Lunafreya because Stella's character was useless in a standalone Versus XIII title: FF XV.

Hajime Tabata's team didn't so much as write the game, just try very hard to adjust it into a singular setting.

D

Deleted member 246005

FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII was originally a trilogy. About 90% of the project's script was done. They shafted Stella Nox Fleuret in favor of Lunafreya because Stella's character was useless in a standalone Versus XIII title: FF XV.

Hajime Tabata's team didn't so much as write the game, just try very hard to adjust it into a singular setting.
I found what you said on Reddit and stand corrected. They should've kept the trilogy aspect.

A co-writer would be ideal because I preferred KH when Nojima-san had input like the first few games versus the post kh2 era.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I found what you said on Reddit and stand corrected. They should've kept the trilogy aspect.

A co-writer would be ideal because I preferred KH when Nojima-san had input like the first few games versus the post kh2 era.

They couldn't afford to keep the trilogy aspect. FINAL FANTASY has a history of sequels selling less than their counterpart. The only reason FINAL FANTASY XIII got two sequels was because Square Enix wanted to make a profit out of all the development costs they incurred with the Crystal Tools in-house engine.

This is exactly what happened with METAL GEAR SOLID post MGS3 Snake Eater: the series' writers retired and Kojima named someone that wasn't as good as the previous one.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I really wouldn't credit Nomura for the writing of FFXV. XV retains hardly any of Versus XIII's narrative or even the basic lore.
Nomura is not listed in the scenario/writing credits at all. Tabata even stated that the two were no longer the same game.

That said, I wouldn't call XV's writing competent regardless.

D

Deleted member 246005

Honestly, it would be pretty hard to reboot Kingdom Hearts because it has such an iconic entrance in the first game.

Even the people who lost interest in the series still think its great.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I wouldn't reboot it, but if I were to do so, I would cut all the original characters save Sora and Riku. SDG would still be the core. The Disney villains would drive the storyline more, akin to Maleficent in the first game.

DraceEmpressa

Awards
Honestly, I would rather KH be Castlevania like Koji Igarashi era. It is soft reboot from previous Castlevania games, by giving Dracula himself a more tragic backstory while still not excusing his actions, there IS continuity but you don't have to play other games before playing one, but the continuity references is rewarding when you get it .

Like, you don't have to play Symphony of the Night or Lament of Innocence to play Aria of Sorrow, but you will get the concept of the Blood Stone and etc if you played the previous entries.

And order of release does not have to equal in-universe order of events.

We can have anyone as the MC as long as they fight for the light, with making it explicit which side we are on and which side are we against.

And dark plot equal good plot, oh no, Disgaea has very lighthearted plot but it is still entertaining, and in Castlevania fandom people love Soma Cruz because he's happy go lucky that stands out among the other CV protagonists.

It's not that I think dark plot is bad, but I just disagree with "x is there which means the plot must be bad/good!" , a plot isn't made up of one trope, that's what makes a writing bad.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Honestly, it would be pretty hard to reboot Kingdom Hearts because it has such an iconic entrance in the first game.

Even the people who lost interest in the series still think its great.

The only reboot I can see is that they finish this new saga and do something that takes place in the future with a new trio, and maybe have the iconic characters as cameos.

Back