• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Should I keep watching Haikyu?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Willow A113

Awards
So my sisters have been wanting me to watch Haikyu for a while now, and today I finally watched the first two episodes.
But I'm gonna be honest. It was incredibly boring imo. Does it get better? If so, when? If it gets better by the end of season 1, I wouldn't want to sit through all the boring episodes to get there. But if it just a couple of episodes, I'm willing to wait for it to get good.
I've never been super into sports stuff. The only thing I've ever liked at all was Space Jam. Maybe it's just not the show for me.

Soldier

Awards
I've never been a fan of sports, or sports anime. The best advice I can give you is stick with what you enjoy. broadening your horizons is good, but not the most important thing in the world (at least, If KH 1's questions have anything to say about it).

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I’d say stick with it, at least for the first season. If it doesn’t hook you by at least the halfway point, then you can skip out.

I’ve only seen a few sports anime, but the characters in Haikyu were engaging and the stakes were personal enough for me to be invested. And while you might see where some story beats are going, that’s not always a bad thing.

Willow A113

Awards
I’d say stick with it, at least for the first season. If it doesn’t hook you by at least the halfway point, then you can skip out.

I’ve only seen a few sports anime, but the characters in Haikyu were engaging and the stakes were personal enough for me to be invested. And while you might see where some story beats are going, that’s not always a bad thing.
Ok I'll give it another try.

Jochira

Awards
Well, if you don't mind the later seasons being one or 2 match(es) per season, I recommend sticking to it. I'm watching it since it reminds me a lot of the innebandy team i'm playing at outside of work.

v4vendetta

Awards
So my sisters have been wanting me to watch Haikyu for a while now, and today I finally watched the first two episodes.
But I'm gonna be honest. It was incredibly boring imo. Does it get better? If so, when? If it gets better by the end of season 1, I wouldn't want to sit through all the boring episodes to get there. But if it just a couple of episodes, I'm willing to wait for it to get good.
I've never been super into sports stuff. The only thing I've ever liked at all was Space Jam. Maybe it's just not the show for me.
I've watched a good deal of sports anime, but not Haikyuu. I was a big fan of Kuroko, Yuri on Ice, and Free.
It should also be noted that I HATE real life sports, I think they are boring and silly.
What I will tell you about sports anime is that it tends to mirror slice of life anime. Whatever is going on in the background (the sports, the school exam, etc.) is not typically the focus of action, but rather the characters and their relationships.
The sports only exist to cause further conflict between characters, and to provide action in the form of usually stellar animation.

If you don't like or identify with any of the characters, you will struggle to motivate yourself to get through the series.
Likewise, if you tend to enjoy media for the worldbuilding or for the lore, you will also probably not enjoy the series.

I would give it a LITTLE longer because it's hard to establish complex character relationships in such a short period of time, but if you get like halfway through season one and the characters just don't interest you, dump it.

Nilemo

Awards
Sometimes it is just not your thing, so leave it aside and don't waste your time. You can't imagine how many movies or shows I tried to watch in my Athenian house here on weekends but sometimes it just doesn't feel right so I switch it off or move to another one.

Last edited:
Back