• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should I just have gotten XIII instead of XIII-2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
About a month ago, I had two choices to make, get XIII or XIII-2 because I couldn't afford both. I chose XIII-2 because I'm afraid XIII's boss battles may be too hard, but I don't mind linearity. Right now, I'm playing XIII-2 and I kinda hate it. You only have two choices of characters to play, which is not really common in FF games (XIII-2 is the only FF game I own.) and the monsters you get to raise sucks. Looking at XIII, it must be really fun having 6 characters to play and incredible summons, but the bosses look too difficult and long. So, should I just have gotten XIII instead of XIII-2?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
About a month ago, I had two choices to make, get XIII or XIII-2 because I couldn't afford both. I chose XIII-2 because I'm afraid XIII's boss battles may be too hard, but I don't mind linearity. Right now, I'm playing XIII-2 and I kinda hate it. You only have two choices of characters to play, which is not really common in FF games (XIII-2 is the only FF game I own.) and the monsters you get to raise sucks. Looking at XIII, it must be really fun having 6 characters to play and incredible summons, but the bosses look too difficult and long. So, should I just have gotten XIII instead of XIII-2?

You don't get to play the full 6 character cast until 20 hours in. It is not really that much fun once you get access to them all because at that point you've been thrown into the wild after being hand-held for said 20 hours and you tend to stick to playing maybe 3 specific characters and only rarely switching them out for one of the other (annoying) 3 when a certain battle requires their specific paradigms set.

The summons are useless in XIII. You won't use them often because the damage they do isn't that much stronger than the damage your character can do...

I'm a XIII-2 fan and absolutely hated XIII, so I'm not the best person to ask. I thought the gameplay system in XIII-2 was much more refined and not as frustrating as XIII. If you don't like how XIII-2 plays, you might find XIII worse.

Look, go find some chocobos (Red, Green, and the regular yellow) to battle, get their crystal, and they will really be all you need for the rest of the game until you capture a Behemoth and a Flanitor to replace the Green Chocobo.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
You don't get to play the full 6 character cast until 20 hours in. It is not really that much fun once you get access to them all because at that point you've been thrown into the wild after being hand-held for said 20 hours and you tend to stick to playing maybe 3 specific characters and only rarely switching them out for one of the other (annoying) 3 when a certain battle requires their specific paradigms set.

The summons are useless in XIII. You won't use them often because the damage they do isn't that much stronger than the damage your character can do...

I'm a XIII-2 fan and absolutely hated XIII, so I'm not the best person to ask. I thought the gameplay system in XIII-2 was much more refined and not as frustrating as XIII. If you don't like how XIII-2 plays, you might find XIII worse.

Look, go find some chocobos (Red, Green, and the regular yellow) to battle, get their crystal, and they will really be all you need for the rest of the game until you capture a Behemoth and a Flanitor to replace the Green Chocobo.
I have two yellow chocobos. Is Lightning a cool party monster?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Both can be fun, it more like depends on how you like to play.
Final Fantasy XIII was very linear, at least until chapter 10 or so, but I even liked that and how they forced you to play with certain characters. Yeah, it takes time until you can change them by yourselves, but at least you get to play different characters.

I, personally, prefer XIII over XIII-2 because I didn't like the story of XIII-2 much and found the side-missions extremely annoying. May it be completing the maps, finding that stupid quizmaster oder hunting down useful monsters who aren't extremely ugly (and Lightning & co don't count since they have to be bought...but yeah, they are kinda cool).

But if you just play the game or just hate it for only having two playable characters, then XIII probably won't make you happy either, because the characters aren't really THAT different in gameplay after some time.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Both can be fun, it more like depends on how you like to play.
Final Fantasy XIII was very linear, at least until chapter 10 or so, but I even liked that and how they forced you to play with certain characters. Yeah, it takes time until you can change them by yourselves, but at least you get to play different characters.

I, personally, prefer XIII over XIII-2 because I didn't like the story of XIII-2 much and found the side-missions extremely annoying. May it be completing the maps, finding that stupid quizmaster oder hunting down useful monsters who aren't extremely ugly (and Lightning & co don't count since they have to be bought...but yeah, they are kinda cool).

But if you just play the game or just hate it for only having two playable characters, then XIII probably won't make you happy either, because the characters aren't really THAT different in gameplay after some time.
The puzzles and story is what making me hate it. The gameplay is good, but not great, and I wish I had the DLC. However, the character development and the places to travel is great.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Thing about FFXIII is about patience. You'll need to take your time and enjoy every bit of it. XIII-2 is clearly an upgrade after XIII. It's really fun once you get used to it.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Small question, what about the Caius boss with Noel alone? I heard that boss was tough.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Small question, what about the Caius boss with Noel alone? I heard that boss was tough.

It's not an easy fight, but as long as you have been keeping up with leveling Noel's crystarium you should be okay.

Make sure to first use SAB to get as much Blood Damage on him as possible, then when you stagger him you can go into COM and hit him. MED & SEN when necessary. This is pretty much the strategy you'll take with Caius for a few of his battles.

When you do the fight for the first time, I believe it is entirely possible that your paradigms are limited. A good tip for XIII-2 is that if your paradigms suck or you didn't get the chance to level up before a boss fight, just let the boss kill you, retry the battle, and it'll take you to the menu to let you do whatever you need to.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
It's not an easy fight, but as long as you have been keeping up with leveling Noel's crystarium you should be okay.

Make sure to first use SAB to get as much Blood Damage on him as possible, then when you stagger him you can go into COM and hit him. MED & SEN when necessary. This is pretty much the strategy you'll take with Caius for a few of his battles.

When you do the fight for the first time, I believe it is entirely possible that your paradigms are limited. A good tip for XIII-2 is that if your paradigms suck or you didn't get the chance to level up before a boss fight, just let the boss kill you, retry the battle, and it'll take you to the menu to let you do whatever you need to.
Question: Are you still allowed to level up Noel's crystarium while losing him as a party member? I haven't unlocked SAB and MED and I only maxed Synergist and Commando.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Question: Are you still allowed to level up Noel's crystarium while losing him as a party member? I haven't unlocked SAB and MED and I only maxed Synergist and Commando.

No, you can't but when he rejoins your party or becomes the party leader again, you will be able to because he will have gained CP

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I too prefer XIII-2 over XIII, even though I actually enjoyed the latter for what it was - a very, very streamlined and dumbed down version of X. That being said I think XIII-2 might be a bit difficult to appreciate if you're new to the series.

Honestly, X is probably the best entry point for newcomers. It's like a bridge between the classic and modern style and will probably make it easier to appreciate both older and newer games, providing you had a good experience (and I think many people will agree that it's quite easy to like the game, whether or not it's their favourite).

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
IV > VI

To me, VII is everything VI should have been. Both games have the same ingredients, but VI is sort of a hot mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back