• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should final fantasy do mechanics or contemporary fantasy?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Hello everyone. I noticed final fantasy done alot of different fantasy games. I was thinking what about mechanics fantasy and contemporary fantasy(real world fantasy). These are two subgenres final fantasy never touched on. I don't got much to say because these genre's are hard to talk about, yet it deserves it's chance in the final fantasy series.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Isn't FFXV sort of a contemporary fantasy? ... Well, it's not 100% but it's got doses of mundane reality at least.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
FF XV has a lot of "real fantasy" going on, especially if you include all media, not just the main game. A lot of "real life" aspects are very important for the story and characters of the world.

I do not understand what mechanics fantasy is supposed to be though. Revolving around machines and the likes? If so, FF XV also touched upon that.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
arent they basically the same thing? or do you mean steampunk? i prefer modern famtasy, and despite ffxv touching upon it, their execution of it was very uneven and i dont believe it was touched upon as well as it could be. give me a true modern fantasy game, FF or otherwise.

Pokie

If you mean steampunk then I highly recommend playing FF6 if you haven't already.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I think the terminology is too vague here.

Should Final Fantasy include more realism elements (fantasy based on reality) or should it include more fictional, imaginary elements?

From what I can tell, FFXV is the only title to base itself off of reality.

While I enjoy FFXV's elements, they don't exactly attract me as much as fictional elements (races, creatures, environments).

Comparing FFXV and FFXII would be a prime example of the differences between realism elements and fictional elements.

Veevee

Awards
Contemporary fantasy can be very engaging when it's well done (for example, I like the Bartimäus books) but also has a few stumbling blocks that FF15 sadly stumbled upon. As an example, FF15 features super modern flying cars and smartphones but you still have to travel hours from person A to person B to get the information from B that the bean carrying truck has been attacked thus B can't carry the beans to A in time. After aquiring this information you travel the same amount of hours back to A to tell him just this information that everyone with a smartphone could've delivered in a minute. Yes, you could raise objections here, but I guess my point is clear. You have radios everywhere that cover the latest news about Noctis having evaded his death, still you see not a single wanted poster or bounty hunter anywhere. Small things like this just ruin a piece of the immersion and believability because things need to be explained that would otherwise be glossed over by "it's magic" or "we only have horses, if even, so no shortcuts".

I don't know what mechanics fantasy is, either. Do you mean Mecha stuff like it's featured in Gundam, Code Geass or Eureka Seven?

Awards
Contemporary fantasy can be very engaging when it's well done (for example, I like the Bartimäus books) but also has a few stumbling blocks that FF15 sadly stumbled upon. As an example, FF15 features super modern flying cars and smartphones but you still have to travel hours from person A to person B to get the information from B that the bean carrying truck has been attacked thus B can't carry the beans to A in time. After aquiring this information you travel the same amount of hours back to A to tell him just this information that everyone with a smartphone could've delivered in a minute. Yes, you could raise objections here, but I guess my point is clear. You have radios everywhere that cover the latest news about Noctis having evaded his death, still you see not a single wanted poster or bounty hunter anywhere. Small things like this just ruin a piece of the immersion and believability because things need to be explained that would otherwise be glossed over by "it's magic" or "we only have horses, if even, so no shortcuts".

I don't know what mechanics fantasy is, either. Do you mean Mecha stuff like it's featured in Gundam, Code Geass or Eureka Seven?

Yes I do mean mechanics fantasy. Sorry for the mistake. My phone auto corrected me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back