• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso – Your Lie in April (watch dis)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
[video=youtube;jE4imQ7r5SM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE4imQ7r5SM[/video]​

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (also known as Your Lie in April) follows Kousei Arima, a former piano prodigy who has lost the ability to hear his own piano playing after a huge meltdown during a big competition following the death of his mother. Two years later, Kousei has grown a bit cynical and reserved and his world has lost color. It isn't until he meets the free-spirited violinist Kaori Miyazono that he starts to change his perspective, helping him return to a world of music and color.

At the time of this writing, we're seven episodes in and my impressions are strong. On paper it seems like the standard slice of life anime but in combination with A-1's always gorgeous animation during the musical numbers, Shigatsu adds its own pizzazz. When I read that the manga was ongoing, I was worried this was gonna one of those adaptations where they trim a lot from the source material just so everything would fit the allotted run, à la Kids on the Slope (an appropriate comparison). Fortunately, A-1 knows too well that this series is too beautiful to not animate in its entirety, and the manga will simultaneously end with the anime.

dat OP tho

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso – Your Lie in April

This show is great, I freaking love it.

Still haven't seen anything along the lines of lying though.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

A-1 has kept episodes remarkably consistent. Regardless, the show is just a great example of imperfect characters as they try to both deal with their own issues and help a friend through his. Fantastic scene composition and visual direction (especially in the latest episode, that damn cat) just add to it. Perhaps a bit emotionally heavy, but it fits the ages of the characters.

I've heard a ton (and I do mean a ton) of people taking issue with how Arima's been treated. Part of it is slapstick humor that tends to linger just a touch too long (why does the blood transition to a serious scene after the slapstick ends?), but most of it has to do with how everyone forces Arima to live to their expectations, trying to beat him through his problems without asking how he feels. While I understand the criticism in a simple idealistic sense, I can't consider it a detriment to the series.

Just the opposite, in fact. That these characters (young kids, remember) behave in this imperfect and often impulsive way makes the story more credible. It's not as though the story is presenting it in a "this is how trauma victims should always be treated" sort of way. Some of them even admit to or are called out for not taking his feelings into consideration like they should. And even though they didn't, there are still positive results, simply because you don't need perfect solutions to achieve positive outcomes.

If anything, I think it's exactly this believability that's caused the outcry among many anime fans. It hits a little too close to home. It's too much like how young adults would act, and it's unsettling in retrospect. But I think that it fits the story, and a lot of interesting points in the story have been raised because of it.

Basically, a pretty damn good series so far.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards

Well damn. This piano competition is super serious.

Kousei's head injuries got played for dramatic effect this week. It may have interfered with our viewing of his performance, but the flashbacks with his mother are too good.

A-1 doing some really incredible stuff with the musical animations these past three episodes.

also: Takeshi's ridiculous hair

Last edited:

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
Re: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso – Your Lie in April (watch this)

Mmkay, so I like this series enough to where I've went ahead and read all the currently available scanlations. Some pretty good stuff coming up, eheheh.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
a good thing about a series like this getting an anime, you just can't pull off scenes quite like that in manga

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
o man

today's chapter

can't wait for it to be animated

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
Hoorah!

Is there a subgroup that gets the translations for the insert songs as well? I'm making do with HorribleSubs, but I'd like to know how fitting the insert song in this week's episode was.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Not sure if any group is doing the insert songs; but rest assured, the song is designed to fit. It was composed for the soundtrack (and is #10 on the first disc of said soundtrack).

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
We're down to the finale next week. This didn't really garner much attention here, did it? Shame on you.

The final chapter was finally scanlated a few days ago. Bit of a rush job, but it hits the right notes. (won't lie, the lenses got a little foggy)

Last edited:

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
it's ok dude i know you always have my back on these things :) :) :)

Seriously though, the ending is fantastic.

In addition to the finale next week, there will also be a direct-to-DVD episode in May!

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Re: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso – Your Lie in April (watch dis)

Just finished Episode 5.

I hope this series doesn't go where I think it will.

My heart won't be able to take it.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
8l7yhrC.png

there's so much pollen everywhere ;A;

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Finally got internet again.

Finale was adorable.

Though, I'm kind of struggling to find the lesson Kousei pulled out of all this. I guess it was learning to accept someone's passing, but he kind of already did that when he got over his mom's death. Still, pretty touching. Might have sniffled. Maybe. A little. Tiny bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back