• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Shasta's Paradox Lounge

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Shasta

Awards
You have something good starting out, I'd say.
I would enjoy seeing something more detailed, as with color, or maybe full body action pose.

Might I recommend as well, when you scan you can resize it, I think. Just have to look around the file or edit tab. Haven't scanned anything in a while, but I think it's one of those if not on the bottom of the screen after it loads.

Thank you! I would color my drawings if I had the time honestly. I can only do this with a select few given I really want to do. Poses, I can do that, haven't really needed to yet but I shall. Oh..about that, I use my phone and ps3 to upload my drawings because my PC is broken and I can't use my scanner without a computer. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Yo, I like the drawings, but I am beginning to see you are really good with busts. That full body though... kinda bugs my proportional senses a little. Do you start drawing the head, then the rest of the body? If so, I recommend starting with a rough frame of the character and then building on that- simply because, her head doesn't fit on her body, it's too big for how small she is. Even though anime heads tend to be bigger, they are still proportional to the body in some way, unless the character is supposed to be hyper exaggerated.

Shasta

Awards
Yo, I like the drawings, but I am beginning to see you are really good with busts. That full body though... kinda bugs my proportional senses a little. Do you start drawing the head, then the rest of the body? If so, I recommend starting with a rough frame of the character and then building on that- simply because, her head doesn't fit on her body, it's too big for how small she is. Even though anime heads tend to be bigger, they are still proportional to the body in some way, unless the character is supposed to be hyper exaggerated.
I saw the head issue as soon as I finished the drawing, the drawing wasn't planned at all so that is a factor. I do start with the shape of the head and hair and body..but ehh I don't know how to use frames or guidelines or shapes I never understood how that worked, basically what the end result turns out to be is exactly how it was made with details and shading added to it. Better?
20130304131810.jpg

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]You must of practiced drawing a lot, Shasta, because those facial expressions are simply marvelous. I like the last the three photos you did the most, and the drawing of the girl you did again, looks so cool. I like her much better than the first time you drew her. She looks more like how you portrayed her to be; like she's ready for a fight or something.

Out of curiosity; why did you speak to me in third person when I commented in your thread? Were you nervous? xD
[/FONT]

Shasta

Awards
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]You must of practiced drawing a lot, Shasta, because those facial expressions are simply marvelous. I like the last the three photos you did the most, and the drawing of the girl you did again, looks so cool. I like her much better than the first time you drew her. She looks more like how you portrayed her to be; like she's ready for a fight or something.

Out of curiosity; why did you speak to me in third person when I commented in your thread? Were you nervous? xD
[/FONT]

Thank you! I really wanna redraw that picture now, I feel it wasn't my best cause it wasn't xD. Oh! I was just telling you about his origin, didn't mean to go third person there lol. If you thought the girl was awesome just check this out! First fan art posted here. In honor of the 10th anniversary of KH I bring you Roxas!
cymera20130304221054.jpg

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Lol, I think that's because one of his characters has the same name as his username. ;)
He was not talking about himself but the character with that name.

Shasta said:
@Sephy thanks! I don't have a need for accessory abuse or excessive clothing like Nomoura often does. I lean more on abstract but logical designs.
I see, this makes your designs quite a bit more "realistic" so to say, when not looking at hairstyles. Such clothing also looks like it would be much more comfortable to wear as stuff with too many belts and zippers. ;)

Thank you! I really wanna redraw that picture now, I feel it wasn't my best cause it wasn't xD. Oh! I was just telling you about his origin, didn't mean to go third person there lol. If you thought the girl was awesome just check this out! First fan art posted here. In honor of the 10th anniversary of KH I bring you Roxas!
cymera20130304221054.jpg

Simply amazing. KitKat hit the nail on the spot with the facial expressions-observation. It makes the characters look truly somewhat alive. That Roxas-pic also shows that you have quite some skill in drawing hands. I am myself totally unskilled with a pencil or other handmade stuff, but I do know from some acquaintances who like to draw that hands are normally quite difficult to get right.

Eioha

Awesome drawing of Roxas! But from my perspective of view, I think the eyes are a bit too far away from each other, else it's pretty much flawless. Nicely done mate, you do have great potential.

Shasta

Awards
Thank you! Ha, I'd be honored to design for KH if I could but I don't want Square to ever take my ideas unless I could be in full control and directed it myself not as anything KH or FF related. The tags yes..is it
Spoiler Spoiler Show
or [spoiler3][/spoiler]...well none of those work so idk. I tried using the preset tags but I don't think I'm allowed to or the CSS just hates me.

Lol, I think that's because one of his characters has the same name as his username. ;)
He was not talking about himself but the character with that name.

I see, this makes your designs quite a bit more "realistic" so to say, when not looking at hairstyles. Such clothing also looks like it would be much more comfortable to wear as stuff with too many belts and zippers. ;)

Simply amazing. KitKat hit the nail on the spot with the facial expressions-observation. It makes the characters look truly somewhat alive. That Roxas-pic also shows that you have quite some skill in drawing hands. I am myself totally unskilled with a pencil or other handmade stuff, but I do know from some acquaintances who like to draw that hands are normally quite difficult to get right.

Thank you! Ha I'm not satisfied with the her at all, gonna do a redraw later. Roxas..to be entirely honest this is my first successful drawing of Roxas, last I tried to draw him was 3 years ago. Eioha thank you! Oh yes the eyes being too far apart, I'll fix the left eye later if I ever get around to it (viewer left not his left). Thank you though!

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
cymera20130304221054.jpg

Diddly. Nice work!

I saw the head issue as soon as I finished the drawing, the drawing wasn't planned at all so that is a factor. I do start with the shape of the head and hair and body..but ehh I don't know how to use frames or guidelines or shapes I never understood how that worked, basically what the end result turns out to be is exactly how it was made with details and shading added to it. Better?
20130304131810.jpg

Not that you need me to explain it to you, but I feel like explaining the significance xD

Basically the frame is for posing- I see you are great at free handing poses. Most people suck at it x) Basically the frame is there for structure, as it helps give you the general impression of the character or drawing as a whole, and then you can plan accoridingly. It also helps with enviornments, because you can build the general flow of everything around the character. (Though, I can't draw enviornments atm.) I'm just really surprised you don't frame. Your line work is quite excellent for not using any base whatsoever. If you like, I just throw up a drawing of how the structure works? Otherwise, keep on what you are doing.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Upon further examination, your proportions are almost there but still a little off. If you prefer to completely free hand what you draw I suggest this, get your head shape drawn, and then draw a shoulder line under the head, and just imagine a neck. Your proportions need to be spot on, because when you have a head that's just a little too big for the body, your characters appear obsurdly young. As this girl does.

Keep up the good work though!

Maybe it's just the hair... because the head fits on the neck properly. Eh, whatever. Lol

Shasta

Awards
Diddly. Nice work!

Not that you need me to explain it to you, but I feel like explaining the significance xD

Basically the frame is for posing- I see you are great at free handing poses. Most people suck at it x) Basically the frame is there for structure, as it helps give you the general impression of the character or drawing as a whole, and then you can plan accoridingly. It also helps with enviornments, because you can build the general flow of everything around the character. (Though, I can't draw enviornments atm.) I'm just really surprised you don't frame. Your line work is quite excellent for not using any base whatsoever. If you like, I just throw up a drawing of how the structure works? Otherwise, keep on what you are doing.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Upon further examination, your proportions are almost there but still a little off. If you prefer to completely free hand what you draw I suggest this, get your head shape drawn, and then draw a shoulder line under the head, and just imagine a neck. Your proportions need to be spot on, because when you have a head that's just a little too big for the body, your characters appear obsurdly young. As this girl does.

Keep up the good work though!

Maybe it's just the hair... because the head fits on the neck properly. Eh, whatever. Lol
I understand exactly what you are talking about! About the girl looking young well she is 16 in the two pictures. I always prefer drawing teens rather than adults. Okay so I tried using that guide and I did some research on it and tried to apply it to a drawing I planned to do. I don't think guiding is right for me at all..my drawing didn't even look like "my" drawing or even style. I'll stick to freehand because even though I may not get proportions correct at times, I've been drawing freehandedly since when I started drawing. (3rd grade btw, just never drew any of what I draw now). I do thank you for the tips regardless though. Oh yeah don't feel bad either, I can't draw backgrounds very well either..or animals.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
you should keep in mind wireframes don't take up much time or effort though, it's really no more than a bunch of lines and circles at minimum

7qz2XGH.png

maybe you're just not used to planning things out in that manner? the problem with not planning things out is, as you said, you don't get to adjust proportions nearly as easily because you've already spent all that effort detailing something that's off. would have been much easier to correct if you were working "from the ground up" so to speak.

regardless, your linework is pretty impressive for someone who has no experience working from simple>complex

Last edited:

Shasta

Awards
you should keep in mind wireframes don't take up much time or effort though, it's really no more than a bunch of lines and circles at minimum

7qz2XGH.png

maybe you're just not used to planning things out in that manner? the problem with not planning things out is, as you said, you don't get to adjust proportions nearly as easily because you've already spent all that effort detailing something that's off. would have been much easier to correct if you were working "from the ground up" so to speak.

regardless, your linework is pretty impressive for someone who has no experience working from simple>complex

All these bases and structures confuse me in terms of porportionality. I just tried this too and I don't understand how this is simple at all, drawing over these frames is the wierdest thing and it isn't at all simple to me. Oh most of my drawings I do plan in my head but sometimes I just mindlessly draw which results in unporportunate things lol.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
All these bases and structures confuse me in terms of porportionality. I just tried this too and I don't understand how this is simple at all, drawing over these frames is the wierdest thing and it isn't at all simple to me.

It's a really simple concept: you start with something simple and then you build on top of it. If my explanation is too complicated, just imagine your drawing as a stick figure first. Adjust all the proportions and then when you finally have everything right, start getting more detailed. Or that's the idea, anyway.

Shasta

Awards
It's a really simple concept: you start with something simple and then you build on top of it. If my explanation is too complicated, just imagine your drawing as a stick figure first. Adjust all the proportions and then when you finally have everything right, start getting more detailed. Or that's the idea, anyway.

The explination you gave is pretty simple. Doing this isn't exactly my cup of tea because it's just odd. I'll practice on it more but I'll stick to freehand for now. Thanks for the help regardless though.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
The explination you gave is pretty simple. Doing this isn't exactly my cup of tea because it's just odd. I'll practice on it more but I'll stick to freehand for now. Thanks for the help regardless though.

Yeah just keep practicing. Basically, the trick with this (because I had a lot of trouble too, but after a while it just clicked,) is to erase the construction lines as you go. And basically, you just draw your lines around the the stucture. It's really good for getting your poses down to a science, and getting the proper porportions for those poses. You're starting to draw poses in a more dynamic way- which is good. But this then forces you to have to adjust proportions accordingly, this is called perspective, and one of your drawings delves into the forced perspective- which means a body part (foot, fist, leg, whatever) is in the foreground while the rest of the body moves back into the middle and background, which means you have to adjust the sizes of the body parts.

This is rather confusing, even for me sometimes. This is why frames are amazing for this. You may not get the proportions perfect, but you'll be a lot closer than you would be free handing such things. So, take what you want from that, but you're getting there. (Honestly, your style is much nicer to look at than mine, but since my dad is a comic book artist, I learned a LOT of technical stuff from him.)

Shasta

Awards
Yeah just keep practicing. Basically, the trick with this (because I had a lot of trouble too, but after a while it just clicked,) is to erase the construction lines as you go. And basically, you just draw your lines around the the stucture. It's really good for getting your poses down to a science, and getting the proper porportions for those poses. You're starting to draw poses in a more dynamic way- which is good. But this then forces you to have to adjust proportions accordingly, this is called perspective, and one of your drawings delves into the forced perspective- which means a body part (foot, fist, leg, whatever) is in the foreground while the rest of the body moves back into the middle and background, which means you have to adjust the sizes of the body parts.

This is rather confusing, even for me sometimes. This is why frames are amazing for this. You may not get the proportions perfect, but you'll be a lot closer than you would be free handing such things. So, take what you want from that, but you're getting there. (Honestly, your style is much nicer to look at than mine, but since my dad is a comic book artist, I learned a LOT of technical stuff from him.)
I'm going to stick to freehand if that's cool with everyone, I have addressed the problem with proportionality, its all okay now. Comic book artist? Could you direct me to some of his work?

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Hm, I'm trying to think up his DA account. His current comic hasn't been released yet. But the concept work is on there.

Shasta

Awards
Hm, I'm trying to think up his DA account. His current comic hasn't been released yet. But the concept work is on there.
The only comic books I were ever interested in were the Archives way back when and even so I really only ever read Sonic the Hedgehog. The art style for comic books however baffle me, to each artist his own but somehow I always see similarities. EDIT as of 3/18/13: Well I still never figured out the frame stuff so I just went ahead and tackled the proportion issue head on with my usual freehand, I'm also working on a Sora drawing.
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Shasta

Awards
I honestly hate to double post but I feel the need to since I want to show off more art and no one has responded.

Here's some concept for Paradox featuring Chase, Shasta and Sky

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Sora looks fantastic, Shasta! I really want to see him finished! I absolutely love Chase, Shasta and Sky! They look incredible and the expressions they're making. <3 =D You should definitely keep it up. I want to see more of your work because you have serious talent that needs to shine! Also, is there a background story for Chase, Sky and Shasta? Was just curious and I'll be subscribing to your thread; this way I'll know you update.

Back