• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero by WayForward

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Yeah, Pirate's Curse is definitely my favourite as well. I hope they carry over as many lessons from that as possible.

Anagram

Banned
I agree. It'd be kinda a let down if they didn't. I think a lot of that was the items aspect since Shantae had to use pirate tools instead of magic.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Agreed. Shantae's transformations have always been a mode switch, and usually to non-combat, while the items kept Shantae at full capabilities at all times - she didn't even need to do any Samus-esque item swapping. I don't mind them bringing back the transformations because there's nothing wrong with a mode switch in theory... just keep a similar item system around, too!

Something of a dearth of enemies in some of these demo stages (and the ones that are there are repetitive), but hopefully that's just a side effect of it being a demo.

Anagram

Banned
Agreed as well. I think they can work the mode switch to work like her items in ways. Hopefully they figure these ways out. Or restrict forms to specific parts while focusing on item use for the majority maybe?

I can't see much of that demo video. Is it repetitive?

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Agreed as well. I think they can work the mode switch to work like her items in ways. Hopefully they figure these ways out. Or restrict forms to specific parts while focusing on item use for the majority maybe?

Yes, I think that might work, although, personally, I'd like to see the forms perform as well as Shantae, with their own form of combat. I don't think that's happening in the demo, though - even the new crab form doesn't seem to be able to use its claws! (Yet - it's a demo and a Metroidvania, after all)

I can't see much of that demo video. Is it repetitive?

You mean the video itself? I'll try to break it down. The demo includes four stages. It starts in the falls area from Shantae 1 where Shantae is fighting a few familiar enemies: crabs and mermaids mostly. A lot of fair-difficulty platforming, and I think the enemies work well with the zone so I have no complaints here. Shantae has the Monkey transformation from Shantae 1 and 2 here. At the end of the stage, we see some of the captured Dance Genies from Shantae 1!

Stage 2 is a desert. Unfortunately about 75% of the desert consists of only two paired enemies: a vulture carrying a spread-shot cactus. This repeats until Shantae enters a pool in her new crab form and encounters essentially one other foe, a pirahna (technically two, but the second is an immobile land mine and it might as well be a Mario Maker spike). Thankfully, things finally get mixed up with some sandstorms and tall spiked worm enemies, but it takes forever for the player to get there. This is where I made my complaint, above.

Stage 3 is a gimmick stage like we saw so many of in Pirate's Curse, in this case auto-sliding down a long slide with weird barrels along the way. An alligator shows up from time to time to throw sharks at Shantae? It's hilarious, I don't know what's going on. There are multiple challenges here, but if I want to be professional about it, the level offers very little iteration, mostly offering the same challenges both in isolation and in the same format. Again, it could be a demo thing. No transformation since Shantae can't even stand up!

Stage 4 is Scuttle Town, under attack again. In fact this level seems to be a direct reference to Shantae 1, complete with Tinkerbat canisters you can destroy. Sadly, that's also the only enemy we see here - standard and molotov throwing tinkerbats. No transformation here at all, probably because this is an intro stage. No more engaging than you'd expect from an intro stage, but very pretty.

Since the video was originally a livestream, it simply repeats the stages for fun after that, making up the last maybe 15 minutes.

Anagram

Banned
Oh definitely. THere are a few of her new forms that would be neat if they functioned the same or better than normal Shantae I think. Assuming all those concepts made it in.

Hmm sounds like the demo is just showing it off then. Nothing much just like you said pretty. =3

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Yeah, all fairly basic honestly. I'm sure we can hope for better in the end.

One last thing, though this isn't sourced: the Shantae wiki says the game is supposed to come out this quarter. I can't imagine that's still true since you'd think they'd have the specific date out if it were going to release in the next month or so, but maybe we can hope that means we'll see the full game not long after this quarter?

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I guess it's that time when fans start to come out of the woodwork to wonder what's going on?

It's closer than Might No.9 it seems lol. Yeah, backers are probably annoyed at this point. Everyone always agrees to the consensus of a polished game over a early release that's broken.

Yeah, Pirate's Curse is definitely my favorite as well. I hope they carry over as many lessons from that as possible.

I agree. It's my favorite as well. I enjoyed Pirate Mode because it doesn't require you to seek out and obtain all of the items again. It's currently on sale too!

Shantae's transformations have always been a mode switch, and usually to non-combat, while the items kept Shantae at full capabilities at all times - she didn't even need to do any Samus-esque item swapping. I don't mind them bringing back the transformations because there's nothing wrong with a mode switch in theory... just keep a similar item system around, too!

I just never memorized the transformations, which made it annoying for myself, and always referenced a guide.

One last thing, though this isn't sourced: the Shantae wiki says the game is supposed to come out this quarter. I can't imagine that's still true since you'd think they'd have the specific date out if it were going to release in the next month or so, but maybe we can hope that means we'll see the full game not long after this quarter?

I agree with this speculation. Something tells me it will be delayed.

Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
Yeah, all fairly basic honestly. I'm sure we can hope for better in the end.

I'd like to hope that's true. I'm skeptical of wikias a bit however. >__<

Recon

Art of War
Awards
It's closer than Might No.9 it seems lol. Yeah, backers are probably annoyed at this point. Everyone always agrees to the consensus of a polished game over a early release that's broken.

biggest generalization of 2016

Recon said:
I agree with this speculation. Something tells me it will be delayed.

wait for it

wait for it

WayForward said:
First things first – we are going to have to adjust our Target Release Date, moving it back from our 9/27 Target Release date by about 6 weeks, give or take.

https://wayforward.com/news/

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
A little behind the times, but Wayforward has confirmed on the Kickstarter (on the 22nd) that the game was complete and is now undergoing review by Nintendo, Sony and the like. They're waiting to make a worldwide release, so it'll be up to each of those storefronts to vet the game in their own time before Wayforward can launch.

That said, Wayforward put a hard deadline for backers to select their platform by tomorrow, the 29th, so it's clear they expected the process to take at least as long as it has.

Last edited:

Smithee

Awards
Half-Genie Hero,
Risky Boots: "Now step aside, or suffer the might of my Part Omni-Organic, Partially Titanic, Ocean-Optional Tinkerslug!"
Shantae: "P.O.O.P. T.O.O.T.?"
Risky: "Don't call it that!"
Ouch.
No matter how badass Risky is, she won't live that one down anytime soon.
:ROFLMAO:

Back