• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Shakespeare, King Lear

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora788

Website
jijun.livejournal.com
I need help with this. So if you can help, I'd really appreciate it :]

"Through tatter'd clothes small vices do appear;
Robes and furr'd gowns hide all. Plate sin with gold,
And the strong lance of justice hurtless breaks;
Arm it in rags, a pigmy's straw does pierce ir."

These lines are fromIf you have any references (readings, observations, experiences) to support your answer, that would be helpful too. If you can briefly paraphrase it his statement that would be helpful. And whether you agree, disagree/challenge, or qualify his view of the relationship b/w wealth and justice.

Thanks :] I'll rep those who helped/tried to help me because I'm just glad that your taking the time to do so :]

Wicked

absurdiam
Plate sin with gold-
I think it has somthing to do with money. Dirty money. I havnt read/seen King Lear, but I am a fan a William Shakespeare :)

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
If what you're trying to ask is for us to decipher the statement, okay then. If not, then I'm confused.

Basically, what they're saying is that, even with money and gold/riches, the sins of the person cannot be hidden. Marks on their body will be found and that nothing else can stay hidden. But it also says that, the less money one has, the weaker their defences are, so that even a pigmy straw (remember, pigmy's are tiny animals) could break through.

I'm not too up-to-date with King Lear, but I am able to decipher, somewhat, what old classics are trying to say. Courtesy of AP English 12.

Lifes.Lover

Website
Oh, wait, no. *didn't read completely*

Sorry. The first half of my decipher is wrong. It means, instead, that riches will hide all of your sins. Money talks, and it talks a lot, basically.

First line. 'Through tattr'd clothes, small vices do appear'. This means that the holes in the ragged, dirty, cheap clothes, the sins of the person will be unable to hide.

Robes and furr'd gowns hide all. Plate sin with gold,

This means that people with a lot of money can hide their wrong doings with their wealth.

And the strong lance of justice hurtless breaks;

This means that justice- the law- will be unable to do anything to counteract the sins of the wealthy people. They will most likely be bribed into looking the other way.

Arm it in rags, a pigmy's straw does pierce ir."

This, however, does play into what I said at the end of my first post. People will little money will not be able to get away with their sins and vices. Gambling, prostituting, etc. They'll be punished, and punished hard.

Lifes.Lover

Website
Eh. It's due to having five years of English classes behind my belt, and hard teachers who loved making my classmates and I do many essays on over analyzing every little bit of every single classic known to man.

I went to a good school. Got into a good college, that made me do the same thing.

I hope that helps, OP, though I doubt it does much good towards answering your homework. That, you'll have to do on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back