• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Several Western Square Enix Studios Acquired by Embracer Group

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Damn. I was hoping they'd get involved with KH. Excellent work on the Avengers game (for starters). The art direction, animation, writing and acting was all so darn good.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Well that's less guys for the eventual Dissidia: Square-Enix now.

Embracer is quite the fitting name.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I hope this means better things are in store for these IPs, but we’ll see. I’m interested to see what Disney will do with the Marvel IPs moving forward.

I think we can confidently say Sora won’t be visiting the Marvel’s Avengers or GotG universe though. It will probably be MCU or nothing if it shows up at all in the KH series.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
Jeff Grubb thinks that someone might buy Square Enix (Japan).

If Sony sweeps Square Enix up, one thing that would be nice is Spiderman could be in Kingdom Hearts.

What's not nice is that it'd probably be Playstation exclusive

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Jeff Grubb thinks that someone might buy Square Enix (Japan).

If Sony sweeps Square Enix up, one thing that would be nice is Spiderman could be in Kingdom Hearts.

What's not nice is that it'd probably be Playstation exclusive
There's definitely some fanboys out there that would cheer such a thing. I for one was enjoying seeing Switch getting so many S-E titles & it would suck if that were to end. (though it does explain why they took the cloud shortcut with KH if it they weren't going to have the time for full ports).

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
The exclusivity parade is so odd to me to be honest. I know why companies are like that (for money), but why would customers/fans be? It makes no sense, there's no benefit to a game being locked to 1 console.

Last edited:

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
It's tribalism, mostly. To some people, exclusives are nothing but something you can shove in people's faces to prove your chosen products superiority.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Plus, it strikes me as a little odd that if Sony were to be buying Square, that they apparently didn't want Tomb Raider, despite Lara being almost as much a PS1 mascot as Crash was.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
As someone who never cared about their western games, I'm ok with this. Maybe now they advertise their smaller japanese games better. I still remember their pathetic 40 minutes showcase from last year E3, where half of it was about Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy...

Plus, it strikes me as a little odd that if Sony were to be buying Square, that they apparently didn't want Tomb Raider, despite Lara being almost as much a PS1 mascot as Crash was.

Sony has Uncharted which seems to have become bigger than Tomb Raider.

Last edited:

2 quid is good

Awards
Honestly I don't see how this is a win. Eidos is practically Square Enix Europe, now what do they have coming from the continent? Other than some shovelware phone games I guess. Also the price was insanely cheap... Are Square in financial difficulty or something or do they just really hate their western studios?

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Never would of expected Square Enix to sell 50 + IPs especially well known ones like Tomb Raider, but maybe it’s not such a bad thing for the IPs being sold and we might see more stuff in the future from these franchises.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Why would they sell Tomb Raider? The other crap was fine to get rid of, but Tomb Raider has name value.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Always has been this way.
Like I get that PS1 & PS2 were going to be more profitable by a large margin but they still could've made KH1 multi-platform. Also Sega Genesis deserved to have Square games of its own. Just imagine a Mega Sonic RPG that wasn't the shitty Chronicles game on DS!

Last edited:

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Sony has Uncharted which seems to have become bigger than Tomb Raider.
Nothing wrong with healthy competition. There is always the possibility that Sony realized they didn't want to compete anymore in that space/genre.
Why would they sell Tomb Raider?
Probably to shift organizational goals and explore different ventures. I didn't really get much of Square Enix's side when reading Embracer's PR. Didn't really expect it either. I'm a bit bummed, but perhaps this gives these studios more freedom now with Embracer.

Back