• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Server Change?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
:closedeyes: Many of you have been experiencing problems, including lag. Basically, it's causing problems. Making it difficult for people to post. As a result, we'll probably be changing servers. This means, I know, *groan groan* downtime. :mellow:

The new servers will hopefully be more serving.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
LOL YES! DOWNTIME FTW! >3 Not being an ass, but KHI takes up too much of my intranet life Dx dA NEEDS MOAR ATTENTION! HURRY UP WITH THE DOWNTIME PL0X!

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
Noooooooooo....not more downtime...don't force me back to my required reading for honors american lit...don't do that to me...

*Sighs* If you must. It's for the best anyway...

spdude

Well, I was trying my best to avoid this... but one very important thing is daily remote backups of the entire site which are not being made on our current server.. the new one will have this happening as soon as the site is on it.

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
How long do you think will the downtime be?

digital gopher

lock the gates
Awards
Website
www.ea.com
If the downtime can fix the lag, and bring the forums back to their normal speed I'll be more than happy for downtime.

Lunar Knight

American Person
Didn't we have a server change not too long ago? Whatever.

Just go ahead and do what's best for these forums and the website. Besides, I start school tomorrow so I'll be pretty occupied with homework, tests, quizzes, etc.

E

Eclipse

Quit complaining. A few hours to a few days at max of your life off of KHI will not traumatize you unless you're an internet junkie.

You can still talk to your KHI buddies on AIM/Yahoo/MSN.

Do whatever you must to fix the forum, guys. =] But will we have to get new accounts and everything like the big server change in 2002 i think?

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The site wasn't around in 2002. =O

It was 2004-2005. No, it won't be that big. =]

spdude

OK, the move to the new server will begin in about an hour from now.

The actual transfer itself might take 2-3 hours, but the domain nameservers propogating can take anywhere from instantly to 48 hours. Can't do much to speed up that process. I'm going to look into whether the flash chat can remain active on this old server while DNS is propogating... or maybe in the meantime you guys can hang out at our other site http://forums.ffrepublic.com

spdude

No joke.. this is important. I mean we need the site to be on a server which makes backups every 24 hours... like the one the site is being moved to.

My server admin is currently moving the front site to the new server. Once that is done, the forums will be shut down, while he moves that. It will be turned on again on the new server.

spdude

OK, the server move was a pain, but we managed to get it done without any apparent glitches.

As for loading speed, things should be better on this new server... and I'm also keeping the option of increasing RAM to four gigs, if need be to ensure the site loads super fast even at peak times.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Yay, go Edmunds!...and the other Admins....but Edmunds is looking out for the little people, and by that I mean the members that aren't mods or admins...like me...so YAY! Also the load time was faster enev on the old slow dial up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back