• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sephiroth Might Not Return

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Good, replace him with Kefka. Having Sephiroth be the only Final Fantasy villain featured in this franchise is grating.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I would be interested in meeting a new FF villain to be honest

Pokie

Good news ! Hopefully we get a chance to battle somebody different like Kefka.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
All I take from the interview is that they haven't decided yet if they include Sephiroth or not as according to Nomura they're still "deliberating it" among the staff.

I'm also at a loss as to why when a different FF villain is brought up it is almost always Kefka. He doesn't fit any of KH's themes nor does he have a counterpart among the other FF cameos.
Villains like Ultimecia, Golbez, Jecht (although he isn't actually a "villain"), Vayne Solidor from FF 12 or even Ardyn from FF XV would fit KH's themes much better than the FF variant of the Joker.

Heck, if we talk about a true challenge with FF characters let's have a new version of the Hades Cup Round 49 from KH 2 (where we had to face Tifa, Yuffie, Cloud and Leon at once) but this time have your enlarged party (since you can have more than 4 party members now according to the news) face the entirety of Class Zero from FF Type-0 (yep, that means 14 bosses in one bout) with either "We have come" or "Vermilion Fire" as the background music.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
All I take from the interview is that they haven't decided yet if they include Sephiroth or not as according to Nomura they're still "deliberating it" among the staff.

I'm also at a loss as to why when a different FF villain is brought up it is almost always Kefka. He doesn't fit any of KH's themes nor does he have a counterpart among the other FF cameos.

Not only is Kefka arguably the most favourable Final Fantasy villain, but he also had the best villain performance in Dissidia. It'd be a wasted opportunity not to have that sort of character in Kingdom Hearts. He can fit into Kingdom Hearts, a performer who dwells in Twilight Town with Zorn and Thorn. I mean, we already have Setzer from Final Fantasy VI in Twilight Town so that's a start.

I'm okay with any other Final Fantasy villain, but even the Kingdom Hearts staff are starting to get a little tired with his recurrence.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Having Sephiroth be the only Final Fantasy villain featured in this franchise is grating.

I mean, technically we've had Seifer and his posse, but they had such a lame role. Tbh, I feel we could have more characters from Final Fantasy about. You know, instead of from like five out of the fifteen main title games to exist.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I mean, technically we've had Seifer and his posse, but they had such a lame role. Tbh, I feel we could have more characters from Final Fantasy about. You know, instead of from like five out of the fifteen main title games to exist.

True, doesn't help that Seifer and his gang's role was really dumbed down from their Final Fantasy VIII counterpart. The only reason why VII, VIII and X are getting the spotlight in Kingdom Hearts is because Nomura was the character designers for the original games. He was reluctant to add Vivi and Setzer because he never designed the original characters.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Not to start "that" topic here, but I'll take one of videogames' most famous characters against Square Enix's iteration of the Joker everyday.
Especially in Dissidia, Kefka was just... he tried too hard to be the Joker, the "lol random" trope.
Then again, I'm one of those who thought Dissidia was just okay and very pandering to the mainstream public.

We mostly get those Nomura was involved with, which makes sense.
To me it's not a matter of quantity, but quality: people are rightly dissatisfied with many of the FF cameos (because they indeed are... bad, or out of character), but instead of wishing for a better approach they just want more of them, almost like if the whole thing is a roulette and the mindset is "Eh, Seifer was bad, let's hope the next one's better."

I wish for less but more entertaining and faithful characters rather than a multitude of glorified cameos for the sake of it.
Make that one more step: put the character there so that its fans will be happy, but also make them the charater they are, not just a skin on someone else.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Not to start "that" topic here, but I'll take one of videogames' most famous characters against Square Enix's iteration of the Joker everyday.
Especially in Dissidia, Kefka was just... he tried too hard to be the Joker, the "lol random" trope.
Then again, I'm one of those who thought Dissidia was just okay and very pandering to the mainstream public.

Except that Square's iteration of The Joker is one of video game's most famous characters. Comparing Kefka to Sephiroth in Dissidia, there's no question that Kefka was the more entertaining villain. And in Dissidia 012, Kefka story intertwined with Vaan, Sephiroth didn't get that kind of treatment.

And again, Nomura is working on Final Fantasy VIII Remake anyway, so I'm not surprised that he's reluctant to add Sephiroth in both the games that he's working on.

Awards
In my opinion, it wouldn't feel like a numbered title if it didn't have a fight with Sephiroth.

Besides I wanna smack him with a bazooka.

I still want them to add other FF bosses too tho. Maybe Ardyn if Noctis shows up.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I personally see no reason why Sephiroth would return - we had him in the "main" titles twice already, both times a cool enough enemy against which you have a stunning, entertaining battle. And if a new cameo would end up as a joke like Seifer was - honestly, now I can't take the actual guy seriously anymore - then I'd rather not wish for it at all... As stated in many examples above, there are plenty villain-esque characters around, from old ones to recent ones. As long as they remain at least mostly in-character, like was Sephiroth's case (in a way)...
But darn I also would love to see Ardyn messing up with the KH crew's minds, he has that specific way of choosing his words, fascinating writing right there, so it can add to KH's overall ...confusing and ambiguous language heh
But then again, if they wanna continue with how Cloud faced his darkness in the third main game... for the sake of completing his own KH side story... oh well

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Except that Square's iteration of The Joker is one of video game's most famous characters. Comparing Kefka to Sephiroth in Dissidia, there's no question that Kefka was the more entertaining villain. And in Dissidia 012, Kefka story intertwined with Vaan, Sephiroth didn't get that kind of treatment.

"Except" doesn't really work here, for I have never said anything about Kefka's popularity.
Sephiroth's just as popular if not more all around, and more original.
I wasn't entertained by Kefka in Dissidia, so I do question that. As I said, it was too tryhardy.
Also... who cares about Dissidia honestly. It's not even their main game, it's another mash up game. It's like analyzing Link or Fox based on Smash rather than Zelda or Starfox.

Kefka was more intertwined in Dissidia... ok, cool. And?

Muke

whatever
Awards
Gaah. It's kinda 'tradition' to fight Sephiroth in the numbered 'main' entries. I really wish they do decide to make him a superboss again.
Heck, they could even make him extremely powerful and decide that this is his last appearance in KH, I don't care. Just one last time. Do him justice.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I like both Sephy fights, and that scary feeling he has. He was the ultimate super boss that I was always scared to fight as a kid and it definitely feels like a needed continuation of 1 and 2 to have him in 3 as well. I don't mind having other FF bosses as well, but I really want that good old Sephiroth fight too.

dwroxas16

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I like the sephiroth fight, and it's been a while. Tradition.
But It could also be cool to do like new villains..maybe Genesis?... just me? I mean Nomura had a hand in Crisis Core and Zack was cool to have in BBS. Maybe Sephiroth and Cloud even help you fight Genesis. That would be a crazy unexpected party.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
It would feel kinda weird to not have Sephiroth, and they completely botched the whole Cloud thing in 2 that I would like a real, proper resolution. There's also the deal with Zack vanishing after a black feather appears, which may or may not be able to be tied with Cloud's story.

Well, we do have a Terra. XD

Villains like Ultimecia, Golbez, Jecht (although he isn't actually a "villain"), Vayne Solidor from FF 12 or even Ardyn from FF XV would fit KH's themes much better than the FF variant of the Joker.
What, no Cloud of Darkness?

"And time will destroy all of those as well. Why do people insist on creating things that will inevitably be destroyed? Why do people cling to life knowing that they must someday die? ...Knowing that none of it will have meant anything once they do?"

Kefka's a shattered man who considers life meaningless and death and destruction inevitable, and would despise Sora and the gang's way of thinking. The final confrontation with him in VI even gives scenes about how, even when the world is in ruins, there's still hope. A light in the darkness, you could say. Kefka hates the idea that there's always a way and tries to destroy even the very essence of life itself. At his core, Kefka fits Kingdom Hearts' themes very well.

Heck, if we talk about a true challenge with FF characters let's have a new version of the Hades Cup Round 49 from KH 2 (where we had to face Tifa, Yuffie, Cloud and Leon at once) but this time have your enlarged party (since you can have more than 4 party members now according to the news) face the entirety of Class Zero from FF Type-0 (yep, that means 14 bosses in one bout) with either "We have come" or "Vermilion Fire" as the background music.
Make it sadder with an orchestral version of Zero and I'm sold.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
I like the sephiroth fight, and it's been a while. Tradition.
But It could also be cool to do like new villains..maybe Genesis?... just me? I mean Nomura had a hand in Crisis Core and Zack was cool to have in BBS. Maybe Sephiroth and Cloud even help you fight Genesis. That would be a crazy unexpected party.
actually how about this instead? a 3v3 boss fight with Seph, Genesis, and Angeal versus, Cloud, Sora, and Zack? old genmeration versus new generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back