• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Politics Separating art from the artist, how hard is it for you?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
for me it depends on the extent of the offense, if they've doubled down on the offense, and if they're a person who is putting effort into making the world a worse place. there's a wide distance in my mind between an actor being a drunken asshole in public one day and an author who is consistently putting money into a war against trans ppl.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm not sure. But JK Rowling is transphobic and the series is now getting flak for stereotypical portrayals.
So because JK Rowling was recently declared transphobic, people are calling out stereotypical portrayals in Harry Potter? Wasn't the last book released back in 2007? That's ancient history and they're calling her out for that too?

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
So because JK Rowling was recently declared transphobic, people are calling out stereotypical portrayals in Harry Potter? Wasn't the last book released back in 2007? That's ancient history and they're calling her out for that too?
I think the complaints existed before that, but yes it's increased tenfold because of Rowling's transphobia.

To be honest, I do think Cho Chang is somewhat of a stereotypical name because it's two separate surnames from two different Asian cultures. I cannot speak on the other allegedly stereotypical depictions because I don't remember HP very well.

D

Deleted member 246005

Hogwarts Legacy is coming out in a few months. People accuse it on doubling down on the Jewish stereotypes the books used for the goblins. Here is a funny explanation.

This would be better when the game came out but the internet isn't known for impulse control.

Last edited by a moderator:

WaltK

Awards
It’s not just in Harry Potter, though. Her more recent crime novels are pretty notorious for it too.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think the complaints existed before that, but yes it's increased tenfold because of Rowling's transphobia.

To be honest, I do think Cho Chang is somewhat of a stereotypical name because it's two separate surnames from two different Asian cultures. I cannot speak on the other allegedly stereotypical depictions because I don't remember HP very well.
I don't see the problem with Cho Chang as a name. It's a memorable name for a character. Also, if it weren't for the name, I wouldn't have even guessed that Cho was Asian, so I think that shows Cho wasn't made to be a stereotype in behaviour.
It’s not just in Harry Potter, though. Her more recent crime novels are pretty notorious for it too.
She wrote something other than Harry Potter!?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't see the problem with Cho Chang as a name. It's a memorable name for a character. Also, if it weren't for the name, I wouldn't have even guessed that Cho was Asian, so I think that shows Cho wasn't made to be a stereotype in behaviour.

She wrote something other than Harry Potter!?
Uh, yeah. You thought she was one and done? She has her crime series under her male pseudonym Robert Homophobe (I don’t remember the name, just that it is the name of a disgusting gay conversion therapist), her Icabog(?) book which is only memorable because it was the source of a highly transphobic tweet she tweeted by mistake to a child fan who had read the children’s book, Casual Vacancy which was poorly received,

All of these books have terrible stereotypes. Also people were calling out the HP stuff long before she revealed she was a TERF.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Uh, yeah. You thought she was one and done? She has her crime series under her male pseudonym Robert Homophobe (I don’t remember the name, just that it is the name of a disgusting gay conversion therapist), her Icabog(?) book which is only memorable because it was the source of a highly transphobic tweet she tweeted by mistake to a child fan who had read the children’s book, Casual Vacancy which was poorly received,
Well if I were her and I made millions off of the series and basically never had to work again in life, I would have been one and done. I would take that money and be on permanent vacation.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well if I were her and I made millions off of the series and basically never had to work again in life, I would have been one and done. I would take that money and be on permanent vacation.
No, she wanted to prove she was more than Harry Potter. And now she has by proving she’s just an awful person inside and out.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
No, she wanted to prove she was more than Harry Potter. And now she has by proving she’s just an awful person inside and out.
She dumb.

She won the lotto with Harry Potter becoming what it did. She doesn't have to prove anything else.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Cho Chang is supposed to be a Chinese character. Cho is a Korean surname and Chang is a Chinese surname. It's a very lazy name for your only Asian character. Also the fact that she needed a lazy name to distinguish that a character is Asian is pretty eh in itself. With this, alongside stereotypes in her other books, makes me not blame people for finding it offensive. Even the actress herself said it was questionable.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Wait, is Harry Potter cancelled?
HP is much like Lord of the Rings, the property is way too big to get taken down--and thank God. I personally don't have difficulty separating the good from the bad with Rowling. I still have many things in common with Rowling (being a Christian, liberal, feminist, English teacher, etc.) and find her to be an incredible writer despite her comments about trans people being wrong. Just speaking for myself here, I personally don't believe she would donate to conservatives despite her transphobia although she has used her voice for harm, that much is true. I guess I can see how easily an abused woman can fall into the snare of the whole "rapists in women's bathrooms" scaremongering propaganda and not hate her for that. I guess having to deal with people whose religious beliefs about LGBT are a conflict my whole life made that easier for me, but everyone's mileage will vary, lol. I do hope and believe there's a chance her eyes will be opened in time, much like how it took years before gay people became more understood and empathized with in the U.S., but it might be years before that happens if it does at all. I don't mind people hitting back at her though, even if I am glad her writing / properties can continue at the same time.

Personally, I loved The Ickabog. The Casual Vacancy is very meh, I can see how she might have wanted to write something heavy like that after being stuck in HP for two decades though just as a palate cleanser for herself. I have The Christmas Pig, but haven't read it; probably will this Christmas season. The other mystery series she has--I'll wait until that one's finished before I pick it up and read it all in one go. I'll probably pick up Hogwarts Legacy once I can get it for cheap, $20-30, although I'd have preferred one huge PS5 game that goes through the full story of HP from the first book to the ending instead. I still hope that happens someday as well as a mini-series version.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
HP is much like Lord of the Rings, the property is way too big to get taken down--and thank God. I personally don't have difficulty separating the good from the bad with Rowling. I still have many things in common with Rowling (being a Christian, liberal, feminist, English teacher, etc.) and find her to be an incredible writer despite her comments about trans people being wrong. Just speaking for myself here, I personally don't believe she would donate to conservatives despite her transphobia although she has used her voice for harm, that much is true. I guess I can see how easily an abused woman can fall into the snare of the whole "rapists in women's bathrooms" scaremongering propaganda and not hate her for that. I guess having to deal with people whose religious beliefs about LGBT are a conflict my whole life made that easier for me, but everyone's mileage will vary, lol. I do hope and believe there's a chance her eyes will be opened in time, much like how it took years before gay people became more understood and empathized with in the U.S., but it might be years before that happens if it does at all. I don't mind people hitting back at her though, even if I am glad her writing / properties can continue at the same time.

Personally, I loved The Ickabog. The Casual Vacancy is very meh, I can see how she might have wanted to write something heavy like that after being stuck in HP for two decades though just as a palate cleanser for herself. I have The Christmas Pig, but haven't read it; probably will this Christmas season. The other mystery series she has--I'll wait until that one's finished before I pick it up and read it all in one go. I'll probably pick up Hogwarts Legacy once I can get it for cheap, $20-30, although I'd have preferred one huge PS5 game that goes through the full story of HP from the first book to the ending instead. I still hope that happens someday as well as a mini-series version.
She quite literally promotes and features right-wing gender critical people on Twitter all of the time. She donates to right-wing entities all of the time. The LGB Alliance is operated by right-wing conservatives.

HP is not like LOTR. JK Rowling is still very much alive and profiting off of the property and makes decisions about its direction. There is no way to separate her from HP.

JK Rowling being an abused woman doesn’t excuse her behavior and beliefs when her beliefs are funding legislation and projecting views that are causing trans people to lose their rights and lives.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I guess I can see how easily an abused woman can fall into the snare of the whole "rapists in women's bathrooms" scaremongering propaganda and not hate her for that.
Trans people are also at a high risk of being SA'd, harassed, and even killed. Rowling has immense privilege. She's white, cis, and a billionaire. She could be using her experiences to help people, but instead uses that to gatekeep her trauma, believing it's something only ""real"" women go through, and deny trans people basic human rights. She's not a feminist but a bully.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not in any way invalidating what Rowling has been through. I'm just criticizing her lack of empathy towards a marginalized group of people. They are also at a high risk of going through the same thing.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Just to add, I’m going to share this with you and the rest of the people who post in this thread. It is better to be educated about JK Rowling rather than assuming:

This is not somebody who should be given any benefit of the doubt. She will not change and will only actively get worse because she believes 100% in her heart that trans people are the enemy of women.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
HP is not like LOTR. JK Rowling is still very much alive and profiting off of the property and makes decisions about its direction. There is no way to separate her from HP.
That was not what I was asserting, you must've been confused. What I was saying is the property is too big to be taken down despite all the usual attempts, thankfully.

JK Rowling being an abused woman doesn’t excuse her behavior and beliefs when her beliefs are funding legislation and projecting views that are causing trans people to lose their rights and lives.
Again, I didn't say so. I said that's why I can see how she ended up where she is, not as an excuse so much as: "It is what it is." You have a right to find it difficult separating the art from the artist in this case, but I don't. *shrug* I can see how responding positively to and/or promoting certain individuals on Twitter can be seen as a way of "funding" because people following Rowling may then give money to those people / groups that they wouldn't have seen without Rowling, but I personally don't see that the same as Rowling herself sending money to them directly.

Last edited:

WaltK

Awards
I can see how responding positively to and/or promoting certain individuals on Twitter can be seen as a way of "funding" because people following Rowling may then give money to those people / groups that they wouldn't have seen without Rowling, but I personally don't see that the same as Rowling herself sending money to them directly.
"She's publicly befriending these people and boosting their hateful bullshit to her countless followers but at least she’s not giving them money"

Back