• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Politics Separating art from the artist, how hard is it for you?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 246005

It's easier to seperate the art from the artist than the politician from their politics. Mostly because politics impacts more people and has life and death stakes. So AOC, Biden, Kasich, Jeremy Corbyn, etc letting me down means more than JK Rowling or Stan Lee etc.

Art has power but it can't change the world on its own.

Best advice I can give is as you get older, you learn that not everyone lives up to their own standards. So you have to learn how judge others and which fights to pick etc. Art is the same way.

Hope that helps.

WaltK

Awards
Kind of related: I’ve been spending the last couple of days rewatching Suite Life of Zack and Cody on Disney+. That binge has now been stopped dead in its tracks after learning that they got an actual convicted paedophile to work on the show 🤮

Godamnit, I loved that show...

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Kind of related: I’ve been spending the last couple of days rewatching Suite Life of Zack and Cody on Disney+. That binge has now been stopped dead in its tracks after learning that they got an actual convicted paedophile to work on the show 🤮

Godamnit, I loved that show...
If it helps, he was only in three episodes and you could very easily skip those. It’s pretty gross Disney continued to work with him after he was convicted two years prior to those episodes airing, but he didn’t have much involvement in the show beyond those appearances.

WaltK

Awards
If it helps, he was only in three episodes and you could very easily skip those. It’s pretty gross Disney continued to work with him after he was convicted two years prior to those episodes airing, but he didn’t have much involvement in the show beyond those appearances.
I know he voiced London’s talking mirror, but I assumed he had other behind the scenes roles too.

breadslime

Awards
Ehh, It's honestly not that hard. Like for example, H.P Lovecraft was a uncool loner who believed the world owed him simply for existing, and he was a racist (look up his cat's name). But his stories are awesome, and they continue to influence popular culture and media TO THIS DAY. Also, he's kinda dead, so you're not gonna bump into him at the bar ranting on about the white minority or holocaust denial or whatnot.

Soldier

Awards
As far as I can tell it was only his role as the mirror.

I made the mistake of looking at his general info and found out he has the same birthday as me :|
The mirror was a paedophile?!?! jesu cripso that changes a lot. I remember the episode they introduced the mirror, and London claims that "Daddy's scientists made it for me". This is a bit dark, but I wonder if those scientists had any ulterior motives when designing the flamboyant fixture. I hope whoever voiced it reflects on their actions.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Ehh, It's honestly not that hard. Like for example, H.P Lovecraft was a uncool loner who believed the world owed him simply for existing, and he was a racist (look up his cat's name). But his stories are awesome, and they continue to influence popular culture and media TO THIS DAY. Also, he's kinda dead, so you're not gonna bump into him at the bar ranting on about the white minority or holocaust denial or whatnot.
I think for the dead it is easier to consume their work because they are dead. I can talk shit about them and they won’t ever hear it and they won’t ever see that money, and if it has been long enough, their work is public domain and has been deconstructed and remade by all sorts of people from all walks of life for years.

It’s harder for me to make that distinction with somebody like say JK Rowling because she’s alive and profits from people consuming her work and is very, very active. Even then, I do think somebody can enjoy fanfic or fanart because it’s a reinterpretation. It also isn’t giving JK Rowling money or attention.

But it’s not the same for everybody. I personally can’t enjoy any HP films or fan content at all anymore.

But I agree when it comes to dead people. It also opens their media to free criticism, which is a healthy way of consuming media by bigots.

Soldier

Awards
I think for the dead it is easier to consume their work because they are dead. I can talk shit about them and they won’t ever hear it and they won’t ever see that money, and if it has been long enough, their work is public domain and has been deconstructed and remade by all sorts of people from all walks of life for years.

It’s harder for me to make that distinction with somebody like say JK Rowling because she’s alive and profits from people consuming her work and is very, very active. Even then, I do think somebody can enjoy fanfic or fanart because it’s a reinterpretation. It also isn’t giving JK Rowling money or attention.

But it’s not the same for everybody. I personally can’t enjoy any HP films or fan content at all anymore.

But I agree when it comes to dead people. It also opens their media to free criticism, which is a healthy way of consuming media by bigots.
Ah yes, the WASP, who could forget that indignant witch? I can't wait for the day her empire crumbles to dust. It'll be sweet.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Cursed Child wasn't written by her. She just gave them approval to go with it. The thing about the Fantastic Beasts films is that it was micromanaged by the studios. I liked the first film, it did have some of the charm of the books, but you can tell they let her have even less control with the second one considering how hollow it felt, how few character interactions there were, and how little of Newt there was. I'd much rather have read that story as a book series going by the things I've heard she was made to change, cut, etc. I guess because I thought the HP film series sucked in general beyond most of the actors that were cast, that I don't trust the people from WB's judgment over hers at all.

As to the topic, it depends--both on the person, the "crime," etc. A bunch of different things go into that decision. I don't know if you've all noticed, but the Internet finds the majority of people alive--let alone the dead--"problematic" in some way or other, increasingly for inane reasons. I mean, I've heard people talk about an actor who cheated on their spouse in the same way as a rapist as if those things are equivalent, as if anyone gives a shit about someone committing adultery.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

@Elysium oh ok.

To me, it's weird. I was able to rewatch clips from the 70s show and ignore the arrest of Danny Masterson who played Hyde on the show. He was accused of multiple sexual harassments and other crimes.

It's a skill you learn but it's just comes easier to others.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
^ Yeah, the news about Masterson was one of the harder stories for me (Kevin Spacey was another one that was hard), partly because Hyde was my favorite on that show after Kitty. I haven't followed the story past the allegations, although I might look it up now you've reminded me. Of course I hope it isn't true, but I don't trust a lot of those people connected to Scientology. I know that's a bias of mine, just always creeped me out a little--mostly because of Tom Cruise and a lot of Leah Remini's stories. I would be lying if I said I'd never watch that show again, or The Cosby Show--or Roseanne (I know there was no sexual harassment or rape accusations there, just Roseanne's racism, just to be clear).

AegisXIII

Awards
A good exercise would be to think about what we are consuming as media right now that will be considered problematic in the future.

Back