• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

SEAKING A GOOD RPG!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Rose Witch

JRPG Fan
Re: SEEKING A GOOD RPG!

idk, but we are just getting p1 for psp so prolly a year im assuming i LOVED AND ADORED p3 so you should get that none of them have story relation so you arent skipping stories

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

Oh sweet. So they're sending Persona 1 here for psp soon? That's good to hear. What about 2? Is it coming here as well?

2 was already localized and released for the Playstation years ago. Or well, one of them.

There are two chapters to Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Innocent Sin. Innocent Sin was never localized. There's a fan translation though, you can play it by patching an Innocent Sin iso with the translation and the running it with a playstation emulator.

The Persona titles are to my knowledge, similar to Final Fantasy in the aspect that you can just pick up and play any of the games no problem. I know Persona 3 and 4 share the same universe (not sure if it's the same one as 1 or 2's or if those two share their own universes, either way you get the point), but you don't have to play 3 to understand 4's story.

However, I suggest you play 3 beforehand anyway because if you go from Persona 4 to 3 (like I am), chances are you're going to get annoyed because 4 made a number of improvements to the mechanics of the game. Also, while you don't have to play 3 to get 4's story, there are a number of references to Persona 3 made in 4 that you won't get unless you've played it.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned

And for the other posts: I've played Oblivion, Fable II, Legend of Dragoon (this one was REALLY good, but I didn't finish it for some reason...I remember I got the water girl with the hammer and stopped soon after getting the earth guy's dragoon stone). I'm not a big fan of Dragon Question, and Fallout 3 looks a little two shooter for me. I've always wanted to try the Persona series though. The only thing is I would only want to start it from the first one if possible. Thank for all the suggestions by the way!

I'll persuade you. Definitely get Fallout 3. If not now, then hold out for the "Game of the Year" edition. You'll get all the 5 DLCs released onto it. Because Fallout 3 is imo, superior to Oblivion. Sure, it's shoot-y, but the world is sadenning, yet awesome to find out new locations. A lot of the quests are better, you can get melee weaponary like the Shiskebab, Chinese Sword, Deathclaw, etc. So it's not totally shooting. But I've played this since February and I still haven't completed it yet.

There's always something new to explore. Really, I love this game far more than any other RPGs this generation, especially when this generation of JRPGs sucks.

And there's always Persona3/4, which are better than a lot of other JRPGs and are my personal favourites.

Faris

Perfect Harmony

As much as I dont wanna be the guy who goes 'Yeah Persona! Persona! Persona!' The third and fourth are pretty great games which will keep you occupied for a while.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned

^Haha, if no-one mentioned Persona. Then I would jump onto that. But it seems that JRPGs seems to be the recommendations and it baffles me, especially when the current releases are shit, even on the DS and PSP [a lot of them are cliche and uninteresting in terms of storyline].

Western RPGs are just as good. It's just they are fewer in numbers [but with high quality].

UnstoppableSound

idk, but we are just getting p1 for psp so prolly a year im assuming i LOVED AND ADORED p3 so you should get that none of them have story relation so you arent skipping stories

I went to to EB Games this morning and bought myself a copy of Persona 3 FES. I have to say, it's pretty damn sweet, even though so far there has been way too much talking and not enough fighting. And it reminds me of like a dating sim or something, with the walking around and so many conversation choices. So far so good though, I'm stoked to finish this one.

Also to Chrono Mizaki: Alright, you've persuaded me. I loved Oblivion and if you say Fallout 3 is better then I'm definitely going to have to give it a try. But yes, I'll take down Persona 3 & 4 first before I move on to it, and yeah, I think I'll wait for the Game of the Year Edition. Oblivion got so much added content on it's enhanced release so I'm sold. Thanks for the info by the way, now I'm excited.

Macabre

Gold Member

I'll persuade you. Definitely get Fallout 3. If not now, then hold out for the "Game of the Year" edition. You'll get all the 5 DLCs released onto it. Because Fallout 3 is imo, superior to Oblivion. Sure, it's shoot-y, but the world is sadenning, yet awesome to find out new locations. A lot of the quests are better, you can get melee weaponary like the Shiskebab, Chinese Sword, Deathclaw, etc. So it's not totally shooting. But I've played this since February and I still haven't completed it yet.
This.

It combines elements of shooting, exploration and horror to become an extremely awesome action RPG.
I started playing Fallout 3 sometime in November of last year on my PS3 and to this day I've completed it more than 20 times because I enjoy it so much. Just simply epic.
Since you have both the PS3 and 360 I suggest you buy the 360 version as all the DLC packs for it are available on XBL.
Or you could wait for the Game of The Year like Chrono Mizaki said.
The GoTY edition will have all the DLC packs available on the disc.

UnstoppableSound

This.

It combines elements of shooting, exploration and horror to become an extremely awesome action RPG.
I started playing Fallout 3 sometime in November of last year on my PS3 and to this day I've completed it more than 20 times because I enjoy it so much. Just simply epic.
Since you have both the PS3 and 360 I suggest you buy the 360 version as all the DLC packs for it are available on XBL.
Or you could wait for the Game of The Year like Chrono Mizaki said.
The GoTY edition will have all the DLC packs available on the disc.

I'm definitely getting it now lol. By the way, I like your name, Macabre.
Reminds me of Dir en grey.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards

I went to to EB Games this morning and bought myself a copy of Persona 3 FES. I have to say, it's pretty damn sweet, even though so far there has been way too much talking and not enough fighting. And it reminds me of like a dating sim or something, with the walking around and so many conversation choices. So far so good though, I'm stoked to finish this one.

It's all story for the first few hours, and then you'll get into the grindfest that we call Tartarus.

UnstoppableSound

It's all story for the first few hours, and then you'll get into the grindfest that we call Tartarus.

Yeah I've gotten past the scene-fest. Now it's just a huge complication of deciding whether to go out with a chick, hang out with a friend, or head up a couple levels of Tartarus. Those damn requests by whats-her-face are annoying me though, I had to rush to finish a couple by the end of the deadline. Also, the endless possibilities of fusions is ridiculous, but I got it now, it's all about exploiting enemies weaknesses. Really fun game. There's no way in hell I'm going to be able to master it though, I'd need to grab a day-by-day guide to pull that off.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
persona 3 is fun... until you play persona 4, then you realize how shitty p3 is.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
(plus I'm sure us Kingdom Hearts fans would love the game, they both share some similar qualities)]

Repetitive button mashing gameplay?

I have Odin Sphere myself and recently picked it back up (I'm currently frustrated with the Queen of the Dead as Gwendolyn holy shit i am ill equipped and am in serious need of healing tonics oh god) but it's seriously MASH SQUARE MASH SQUARE MASH SQUARE MOTHERFUCKER and some cool item mixing. I still love it though.

Mother 3. It promises to be "Strange, funny, and heartrending", which it delivers.

MOTHER 3 / EarthBound 2 Fan Translation

However, you're gonna need the actual ROM and Visual Boy Advance, which I can't discuss about around here.

lmao we have a MOTHER 3 thread around here somewhere discussing just that. Granted, it's been inactive for quite some time, but still.

persona 3 is fun... until you play persona 4, then you realize how shitty p3 is.

I'm glad I got P3 FES first then.

Anyway, my RPG suggestion for you has remarkably been left unnamed by the rest in this thread for some reason. Assuming your DS isn't a DSi or you use an emulator, I highly recommend you play the Golden Sun series on the GBA. They finally announced a third title in the series at E3 for the DS, so it's a pretty good time to get in to the series if you aren't already.

UnstoppableSound

Repetitive button mashing gameplay?

I have Odin Sphere myself and recently picked it back up (I'm currently frustrated with the Queen of the Dead as Gwendolyn holy shit i am ill equipped and am in serious need of healing tonics oh god) but it's seriously MASH SQUARE MASH SQUARE MASH SQUARE MOTHERFUCKER and some cool item mixing. I still love it though.

lmao we have a MOTHER 3 thread around here somewhere discussing just that. Granted, it's been inactive for quite some time, but still.

I'm glad I got P3 FES first then.

Anyway, my RPG suggestion for you has remarkably been left unnamed by the rest in this thread for some reason. Assuming your DS isn't a DSi or you use an emulator, I highly recommend you play the Golden Sun series on the GBA. They finally announced a third title in the series at E3 for the DS, so it's a pretty good time to get in to the series if you aren't already.

Yeah I regret saying that they have similar qualities. They're barely similar. But still both good.

With Queen Odette, yeah, it's pretty much just make sure that you're always on her ass or else she'll end up healing all the damage back. However, Odin Sphere in general is not a mashing game, it requires so much tactic and planning, unless you don't care about S-Rank (which would mean you're stupid for missing all the good stuff). If you're having trouble with her though...then good luck with anytime you go to Titania. Just make sure that you're always making 6-8 food items in the Pooka Kitchen whenever you have the opportunity to (or make even more of that to make up for lost times). Order of good/efficient food to make is (best to worst): Yogurt Fruit Mousse, Yogurt Mousse, and Napple Sorbet (and try to sneak in a Consomme if you can). ALSO, make sure you prepare for Armageddon before you finish a character's book, or else you'll have to go back and redo a bunch of chapters to get to where you want for the proper materials. GOOD LUCK! The ending is amazing.

I've done Golden Sun already. Beat both one and two. It was fun, definitely. The optional bosses were the best. I'm pumped for the DS version.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
With Queen Odette, yeah, it's pretty much just make sure that you're always on her ass or else she'll end up healing all the damage back. However, Odin Sphere in general is not a mashing game, it requires so much tactic and planning, unless you don't care about S-Rank (which would mean you're stupid for missing all the good stuff). If you're having trouble with her though...then good luck with anytime you go to Titania.

My "tactics" typically involve:
  • wailing on anything that moves
  • planting seeds based on however many phozons I imagine will appear after killing enemies (I'm currently partial to Grape and Napple Seeds due to their current abundance)
  • making Healing Tonics and Painkillers when I need them (though I'm now out of Carroteers for the tonics which is why Odette is such a pain right now)
  • equipping whatever item seems appropriate (I'm kinda partial to the Vampiric Ring due to the HP Drain, but the "set portion of damage" that the Shield Ring promises to protect me from is comforting)
  • spend all my money on large bags so I can collect more shit I never use

Also, what is this S Rank good stuff?

Just make sure that you're always making 6-8 food items in the Pooka Kitchen whenever you have the opportunity to (or make even more of that to make up for lost times). Order of good/efficient food to make is (best to worst): Yogurt Fruit Mousse, Yogurt Mousse, and Napple Sorbet (and try to sneak in a Consomme if you can).

lmao I think I've only made three dishes there so far. The EXP and HP benefits you can get from them are amazing, but I never have the coin or food to make them.

ALSO, make sure you prepare for Armageddon before you finish a character's book, or else you'll have to go back and redo a bunch of chapters to get to where you want for the proper materials. GOOD LUCK! The ending is amazing.

Ar...ma...ged...don? That's the first I've heard of this. It doesn't sound like it will be very nice and now I'm worried I'm terribly unprepared.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of my problems would be eased if I took the time to revisit old stages for items to sell and such, but I really don't feel like back tracking, especially while I'm right there at Odette :|

I've done Golden Sun already. Beat both one and two. It was fun, definitely. The optional bosses were the best. I'm pumped for the DS version.

I'm sad to admit I never managed to beat either optional bosses. Part of me wants to go back and replay both games before the next game comes out, but I just have a hard time replaying games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back