• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► SE to replace Olaf's JPN voice actor in Kingdom Hearts 3 amid drug scandal

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: SE plans to replace Olaf's JPN voice actor in KH3 amid drug scandal

That came from left field. I'm not a mind reader. Sorry I guess.

I brought it up to make a point that sometimes people are saying “don’t make tasteless jokes” for a reason. A person shouldn’t have to explain the reasons why, but I did because it seems as though people find it so easy to make jokes on this subject without taking a second to stop and really think about how that could affect another person. You don’t have to mind-read but heeding a fair warning is all I really was looking for.

And this is really aimed at everybody, not just you. No need to apologize.

Neo_

Awards
Re: SE to replace Olaf's JPN voice actor in Kingdom Hearts 3 amid drug scandal

lol, what is the statute of limitations on patching a character's dialogue? It's done and over with; back in my day, games couldn't be patched *waves cane*.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards

lol, what is the statute of limitations on patching a character's dialogue? It's done and over with; back in my day, games couldn't be patched *waves cane*.
Actually games have received patches pretty much since day one.

The thing is, before consoles could connect to the Internet (in like a default function way, 'cause they'd been trying that for a long time as well), patches were released via later shipments of the game.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, for example, was patched twice to version 1.2 in Japan. The international release was v1.1 if I recall right.
Jak X on PS2 infamously had a glitch that would corrupt your save file. This is patched out in the Greatest Hits release.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards

Actually games have received patches pretty much since day one.

The thing is, before consoles could connect to the Internet (in like a default function way, 'cause they'd been trying that for a long time as well), patches were released via later shipments of the game.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, for example, was patched twice to version 1.2 in Japan. The international release was v1.1 if I recall right.
Jak X on PS2 infamously had a glitch that would corrupt your save file. This is patched out in the Greatest Hits release.

Another example is with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The original release (gold cartridge I believe?) infamously had Muslim-ish chanting in the Fire Temple theme music, that was removed in later editions of the game.

Yeah, games have always updated and changed, just before it was hidden in reprints. Now it is a lot more convenient for them to patch a game via an online download.

Perkilator

Awards

I—I’ve got nothing to say. I heard about this only yesterday. Never thought I’d see the words Olaf and drugs in the same sentence.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards

Oh Boy, that's not good and fairly disappointed on what he did.

It would be interesting how they would immediately replace Olaf's voice in future releases for KH3 given that voice recording for the Japanese version happened since 2017 to early-mid 2018, along with the forthcoming Japanese dub of Frozen II and future Frozen related media.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Oh Boy, that's not good and fairly disappointed on what he did.

It would be interesting how they would immediately replace Olaf's voice in future releases for KH3 given that voice recording for the Japanese version happened since 2017 to early-mid 2018, along with the forthcoming Japanese dub of Frozen II and future Frozen related media.

Disney will have a pool of actors to choose from who may have auditioned for the role in the past or have a casting call sent to various talent agencies. It won’t take long to recast, re-record, and change all of this media.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards

Disney will have a pool of actors to choose from who may have auditioned for the role in the past or have a casting call sent to various talent agencies. It won’t take long to recast, re-record, and change all of this media.
That's true, and normally (not often; depending on the situation) recasting someone for a new actor that was on a previous project (be it a game, movie, show, tv episode) normally they re-recorded lines in just a day.

I think one example was when Louis C.K. sexual harassment allegations rose in Nov. 2017 and because of this Disney had Louis C.K.'s lines as the monster removed in later airings of the Gravity Falls Weirdmageddon episodes (including the digital releases on Amazon, Itunes, Hulu, Netflix, etc..) with Alex Hirsch.

kaseykockroach

Awards

That Olaf model looks so stiff and dead-eyed...

Sakuraba Neku

Awards

It's always sad when things like this happen.

Find a new voice actor for the next projects is understandable, but I don't agree with replacing what he already recorded. It's overreaction for me.

Speaking of japanese voice actors, I heard the reason why Phil doesn't talk in KH3 is because his japanese voice actor Ichiro Nagai passed away and since he isn't crucial for the plot like Master Xehanort, who both voice actors passed away, they decided to keep him silent out of respect.

Phil's japanese voice actor passed away in 2014...so if that's true, I can't agree with that either.
The show must go on.

Awards

I'm actually in favor of them doing this; I wish this was how they did it in the US. So many rich people in the US do drugs, drunk drive, and all sorts of disgraceful acts, but because they're rich, they can literally get away with murder.

The voice actor had admitted to doing drugs and no one knows how long it's been going on. He could've been under the influence before recording for KH3, so it makes perfect sense not to take any chances and just excise him completely.

I read articles online that were written in reaction to the news, and they are extremely strict on drug use. Paul McCartney brought a bag of pot to Japan and they arrested him. They were fully willing to convict him and imprison him for 7 YEARS over it, but the US negotiated him getting deported instead. There's lots of stories like this.

As someone going to Japan, I had to research which of my prescriptions I could take with me there; the list of prohibited items is somewhat surprising. A teacher in Japan was arrested because she ordered some Adderall mailed to her, and ended up getting deported too.

As a society that has such a huge emphasis on status and reputation, this does not surprise me at all. No businesses want anything to do with stuff like this, especially anything Frozen-related considering how that movie was the jewel of Disney.

Back