• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Screaming

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drollive

I'm in a band and I've been appointed official screamer. I've read some articles on the "safe" way to do it, without damaging your vocal cords, but I've also read some that say there is no safe way. The majority of them have the same basic guidelines:

-If it hurts, your doing it wrong.
-Drink plenty of water/milk/orange juice.
-Don't scream with all your air.
-Scream nasally. Don't use your vocal cords.
-Use good diaphragm support.

I've been practicing for a while, and I know it takes a long time to get the sound you want. I've been doing what the articles say, but I still don't seem to be doing it right.

Is there really no safe way? Are there any tips or suggestions you would like to give? I appreciate your help!

Daniel Faraday

you fucking...FUCK
No. There is no safe way to do it. Just looks at Francis Black, arguably the best screamer ever (which isn't very hard to pull of, mind you).

Fifteen years after the Pixies broke up, his voice is so ****ed up he can barely hit his trademark falsetto.

mesmerized

^^agreed^^

There have been so many screamers in bands who had to get their vocal cords fixed because they literately wore them out completely. So thats the worse job ever lol

Et Cetera

Bronze Member
maybe try loud whispering type something or other. maybe mix in a little bit of a Dethklok-type growl?

(I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about)

Spic Steve

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLOL
Awards
The Hawthorne Heights screamer just covers the mic and whispers into it.

Chris

I share this account w/ my mom lmao
Awards
Personally, I think Dance Gavin Dance has the best screamer. Some screamers are that raw, annoying "RAWRARRABBAFLABBA YEEEA" if you catch my clearly articulated drift. But, DGD's screamer is just so deep, it almost sounds like a bass, or rhythm. I love it.

Lawl, I can actually whisper scream, I didn't know people actually did it.

Hyperion

You're only safe if you use your secondary vocal chords (or false vocal chords), like Jimmy Barnes. As for how he does it, I have no idea, but if you are able to find a way to use them instead then <i>apparently</i> you can scream for as long as you live without causing damage to your primary vocal chords.

Don't hold me to this though.

khluva010

Nice Ascot!
on the playground is where I spent most of my days
No. There is no safe way to do it. Just looks at Francis Black, arguably the best screamer ever (which isn't very hard to pull of, mind you).

Fifteen years after the Pixies broke up, his voice is so ****ed up he can barely hit his trademark falsetto.

yep, we all know screaming isn't great. After I scream after a party or something. My voice always hurts and what not. So when it's all said and dome, screaming is not healthy.

Callaghan

Awards
If you yell of course you're gunna damage your cords, but not by much, it depends how you do it, some bands screamo guy have real deep voices, so it's far easier for them, and some do a screamo/singing sorta mix to give their voice a rest, listen to a variety of bands to get an idea, range it though, from bands like Atreyu to Underoath or someone, American Headcharge even =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back