• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Science and Religion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ysu

Formerly Kown as..
Website
www.myspace.com
Why is it that we always polarize the two? It is my belief, that the two are closer than most people think.

Lets say for example, God is Nature. God created Nature (according to many religous texts), therefore he should be referred to as Nature in this example. Now, Science tries to explain Nature. Science is there to explain our natural world, which for the most part, is unkown. Since Nature is unkown, Science exists to explain it, yet God is there to explain Nature and the unkown as well (the uknown, being lots of things, such as the unkown afterlife, if there is one that is). So doesn't Religion and Science wish to do the same thing? Science wishes to explain creation with the Big Bang. Creationists wish to take God's word literally.

So, there is a "missing link" in this debate. Thats where this site comes in. If your going to participate in this debate, please read everything in the link I have provided. It makes alot of sense, mainly because of their mathematical way of explaining it.

The point of this debate is to see if, in the end, anyone can agree with this.

"Undoubtedly the evolutionist versus creationist debate will continue for many years to come. Maybe, both sides could explore how they interpret the Genesis account and see, that where there has been conflict and contradiction, there is, in fact, harmony between science and the Bible."

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Why? People feel threatened that something they believed in may not truly be what they believed it to be. It's not a matter of it being canceled out, just becoming something different.

When you get down to it, science and religion cannot truly contradict one another. Science is based off of what we can observe and measure, while religion is based off of what we cannot observe and couldn't possibly measure. They are two entirely different things.

Ysu

Formerly Kown as..
Website
www.myspace.com
Even though they use different methods, they both have the same goal. To explain the unkown. Man fears the unkown, and that is why Science and Religion exist. Both to explain and comfort the scared and confused human being.

Did you read the article on Yashanet SN? It's really quite interesting, even for anyone who is or isn't very spiritual.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Not really. Science relies on reason. Religion relies on faith. Faith is the denial of reason. Science and Religion were in perfect harmony when our knowledge was crap, take Aristotle believing the Earth, and God, was the center of the Universe. Then Copernic comes along and starts the rift. Then Kepler, and then Galileo expand it. Darwin defines it. Einstein perfects it.

As long as something rejects proof, it can never be in harmony with science.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Again, science relies on proof and is ever-changing. Religion ignores proof and it would rather not change. Exactly how do you see these contradicting natures "hand-in-hand"?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Again, science relies on proof and is ever-changing. Religion ignores proof and it would rather not change. Exactly how do you see these contradicting natures "hand-in-hand"?

But I thought science has "laws" and "theories" that people treat as if they were the truth. What if evolution is disproved in 10 years? But then again that's just what I think.

Faith is the denial of reason.

Where did you get this definition?

All in all though, I believe you latinopride. I think Science any my faith can go hand in hand sometimes.

Skinwalker

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Beliefs can be very diverse. There are many religions, and many denominations of those. Science and religious beliefs don't always contradict eachother, sometimes can go hand in hand, but sometimes people just need to think about it instead of instantly dismissing science.

Not really. Science relies on reason. Religion relies on faith. Faith is the denial of reason. Science and Religion were in perfect harmony when our knowledge was crap, take Aristotle believing the Earth, and God, was the center of the Universe. Then Copernic comes along and starts the rift. Then Kepler, and then Galileo expand it. Darwin defines it. Einstein perfects it.

Religion teaches morality though. However, again, that often ends up distorted and hypocritical with certain religions.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
But I thought science has "laws" and "theories" that people treat as if they were the truth. What if evolution is disproved in 10 years? But then again that's just what I think.

Because a law is something that always applies, no matter the situation, and there has never been a single instance when it has been unfulfilled, and a theory is a model for a known event.

Evolution isn't being questioned, just like gravity and electromagnetism, it's the theory of evolution (how exactly it happens) that scientists still debate. I thought you realized this.

At any rate, it takes scrutiny, independent experiments, mountains of proof, falsiability and a lot of time for something to become a theory. And these theories, as I just explained, are ever-changing with every new bit of info we acquire.

You might as well ask what if electromagnetism is disproved in 10 years. It carries the same effect.

Where did you get this definition?

Faith is believing in something without having proof for it. Believing in something without having proof is unreasonable. Hence, faith is the denial of reason.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
You're not listening. Reason would be picking the most logical thoughts, looking at all the proof. Faith is believing one, regardless of the proof. Contradicting natures.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
You're not listening. Reason would be picking the most logical thoughts, looking at all the proof. Faith is believing one, regardless of the proof. Contradicting natures.

Not regardless of proof. Regardless of one says. You have no proof that an invisible deity doesn't exist, therefore you have no proof. So I will continue having faith.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Not regardless of proof. Regardless of one says. You have no proof that an invisible deity doesn't exist, therefore you have no proof. So I will continue having faith.

Do you have proof that invisible unicorns don't exist? Why don't you believe in them, then?

By the way, yes, I do have circunstancial evidence. Such being contradicts every single law of the Universe, so it's as ludicrous as the Earth being flat. But, alas, I'm an accepting person, so I'll just stick with "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" argument.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Do you have proof that invisible unicorns don't exist? Why don't you believe in them, then?

Do unicorns have a Bible? Regardless that's off topic.

By the way, yes, I do have circunstancial evidence. Such being contradicts every single law of the Universe, so it's as ludicrous as the Earth being flat. But, alas, I'm an accepting person, so I'll just stick with "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" argument.

Evidence =/= cold hard proof.

Borinquen eh? Puerto Rico?

That's evidence that you could be on vacation in Puerto Rico. Evidence. However I could be wrong, and you could be living in Puerto Rico.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Do unicorns have a Bible? Regardless that's off topic.

You speak as if the Bible was made by one author. Just because you throw a lot of myths and stories of different ages in one book doesn't make them all true.

Evidence =/= cold hard proof.

I never said it was. I said, however, that, with this circunstancial evidence, reason tells us there's no such thing, and it's an invention of humans. You, however, choose to believe otherwise. You put your faith above reason. Therein lies the issue: science and religion have contradicting natures. They could work together when our knowledge was limited, but no longer. With the Bible, you seek to look for proof for your conclusions. Science looks at the proof, and then forms a conclusion.

Religon: conclusion first, proof second.
Science: proof first, conclusion second.

Borinquen eh? Puerto Rico?

Borinquen was the native's name for Puerto Rico. I thought I already said this.

That's evidence that you could be on vacation in Puerto Rico. Evidence. However I could be wrong, and you could be living in Puerto Rico.

How exactly is this evidence? How does this break the law of gravity, or the law for the conservation of energy and mass, like God does?

How is it unreasonable?

howelllawson

Website
www.myspace.com
The bible defines faith as "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1) That's enough for me.

Anyways,
How do you know that there is air? You can't see it.
Answer-you feel it when it moves. You see its effects on things.

How do I know that God exsists?
Answer-The answer is the same as air. I feel Him when he moves, and I see the effects He has on people.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
The bible defines faith as "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1) That's enough for me.

Anyways,

Answer-The answer is the same as air. I feel Him when he moves, and I see the effects He has on people.

Agreed. I couldn'tve put it better.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards

Fun fun, so I assume you have the evidence handy. Link us?

Anyways,

By the gods, sight is the only thing in the world capable of getting proof, apparently. We don't believe in the air because of faith, we believe in it because our other, physical, senses detect it, not to mention technology.

Answer-The answer is the same as air. I feel Him when he moves,

Then science should have no trouble detecting him. Why haven't they?

and I see the effects He has on people.

Wrong, you see the effects hope has on people, even if it's false hope.

Agreed. I couldn'tve put it better.

So your arguments are stuck, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back