• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sci-Fi Tech & Gadgets - Looking for suggestions/recommendations

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
For an upcoming roleplay. Need as many science-fiction advanced technologies as I can get and thus explain to better allow people to realise what they're doing/working with.

ADVANCED MATERIALS & STRUCTURES

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

DISTRIBUTED TECH

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

MATTER, ENERGY AND FORCEMANIPULATION

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

LIGHT PROJECTION

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

SPACETIME MANIPULATION

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

HYBRID APPLICATIONS

Cloaking [Metamaterials + Piezoelectricity] Continually-adjusting PZE nano-structures enable a flexible object that can mimic the shape and musculature of a human body, in addition to redirecting the flow of all photons in a given spectrum of light.

Shapeshifting weapon/multitool [Stasis + Piezoelectricity] The projector device is given a particular shape before being frozen in stasis.

Light face/body morphing[Nanites + Piezoelectricity] A subject changes their appearance, musculature and stature (within reason) by manipulating a thin layer of structures and nanites on their body into different shapes and colours.

Organic shapeshifting [Nanites + Piezoelectricity] Nanites allow a subject to densely pack every bit of their body with additional matter. PZE implants in bones and muscles allow them to expand and warp without breaking, while nanites in soft tissues prevents them from being torn apart under similar shifting. Allows a subject to change their size and proportions with ease, though growing additional limbs, sprouting blade-bones and other additions require at least hours of concerted growing.

Heads-up display [Metamaterials + Holography + Nanites] Either directly in the eye of via a contact lens, an augmented reality view of the world is provided by overlaid readouts of information.

Railgun [Magnetic acceleration] A slug susceptible to magnetic fields is accelerated to a significant fraction of lightspeed (at least 10%) by sending it down a series of electrified coils. As one coil repels the round away from it, the next one draws it forward, and so on until it is ejected at high velocity. Railgun rounds are recommended only recommended when a definite targeting solution can be obtained - rounds impacting at fractions of lightspeed can vaporise a target, and leave an expanding wake of nuclear fusion behind them.

Last edited:

Endless Warrior Sora

Return of the Kid
Awards
Perhaps a broad network of sorts? A mainframe that is a more advanced version of the internet?

Or items that can scan and display data in convenient areas? For example, a contact lens that allows one to scan and study images on command that may be used for research and the like?

Holographic images? The obvious cliche thing about sci-fi? lol

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Added some more and tidied things up.

Also this roleplay will involve a space elevators, an orbital ring, and a tower to the moon.

I don't know if anyone cares for that sort of thing but I thought I'd mention it.

Argenteus

Future locking/projection.
From studying quantum physics we know that the observation of a thing forces it to take a definite form, a particle can behave as a wave until we observe it. Thusly, if the specifics of a potential or desired future could be understood and calculated with enough detail by an observer of a high enough caliber to understand and comprehend all available information said future would become certain to occur in one form or another. However, the longer the duration of time this projection must encompass the more calculation would be required to understand it fully, and thus a higher caliber of observer would be required. As such, only a single instant might be forced into being, and what occurs before and after might cause the projection to occur in a different manner than intended. The ideas of this "projection" are based both on my limited understanding of quantum physics as well as on Frank Herbert's ideas of prescience in his Dune series.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I'd be hesitant to have a quantum-based future-locking mechanism, as determinism in roleplays is something you want to avoid. That said, if one can take a detailed enough 'quantum snapshot' of all the matter in an area along with all its properties, you could then have limited precognition as you project that data forward along the most likely path. Combining this with knowledge of individuals from Qnet lattice scans, or societies as a whole, one might use it to better predict the future.

That said, it's still problematic, because a participant roleplayer can't foresee exactly what's going to happen, and because (mechanically speaking) the process isn't flawless, people aren't narratively bound to follow any particular path. I could see quantum premonitions being implemented by well-connected NPCs or the big bad guys, but for individual roleplayers I think it becomes too difficult to effectively implement.

Your input is still very welcome all the same, and it's good to see someone thinking beyond the traditional science-fiction technologies.

Argenteus

I have a few more ideas, but bear in mind I have plans for these, so I'd appreciate if you only used them in RPs and such for now, and not in a book or video game. OK?

Artificial Observation:

This basic technology can allow a machine to act as an observer: By inputing the mathematical implications of the needed body, the machine generates random numbers at an incredible rate and then plugs these numbers in as part of an equation presumably modeling the interaction of this particle with some outside force. Though these numbers are almost infinitely likely to be completely incorrect, the fact that they would have a 100% chance to be right if applied to the particle long enough is enough to observe the particle. However, due to requiring immense information to apply to even a single particle it's primary use is in other technologies. Of special importance is the...

Gravitational Node (Gnode):
The technology to render points with variable gravity. These stem from a single source node, but can affect an area by aligning a grid of these. The nodes are generated by manipulation of the Higgs-field by observing the Higgs Bosson with an artificial observer. By weighting the random number generator to apply different numbers to the random equations the Higgs-Field is manipulated to give the particles an altered gravity-to-mass-ratio (GMR): The lower the average random number the higher the GMR (and vice versa). These nodes can be static, but by heating the air around them by incredible amounts and accelerating it in a given direction they can be "fired". Why this works is unknown.

Ultradense crystal data storage (Gemdrive):
A simple and straightforward technology, allowing 3d data storage at 1 bit per molecule in an ultradense material. They can store up to 512 yottabytes in a 1x1 centimeter cube and have virtually unlimited read speed, but the drawback is they cannot be rewritten after the initial write without breaking down the material into it's base crystal and recondensing it.

Saxter device (named after inventor Reid Saxter):
By generating a contained ultra-high gravity node roughly comparable to a black hold, and then colliding it with a null-G node fired into the center, it can be stabilized into a gateway for a few seconds. This gateway leads to another dimension, and coincidentally almost always points to an area of close to the same mass as the earth. Emitting a particular frequency vibration can force it to lead to a particular dimension, and this same frequency will always point to the same dimension. This frequency is so delicate that it takes a 1x1 meter Gemdrive to store the necessary data, but it can be used.

Saxter-Pelman-Arthurs Device (SPAD):
A collaborative work between doctors Elijah Pelman and Susan Arthurs based on Dr. Saxter's technologies. A large device that generates a Saxter-gate at a point without containing the field. This sucks in all the matter within a colossal area, and has basically replaced the nuclear bomb. It is essentially just a Saxter device that fires the black hole node as well as the null-G node. The complicated part is sending the two far enough not to destroy the device, which requires the pulsing of several low-G nodes before it to allow the node to easily transfer to the destination without prematurely activating the gate.. They are all encoded to the theoretically non-existent dimension known by scientists as Zero-Zero. It is the mathematically necessary but physically impossible dimension in which no time or space can exist. This means the matter is no longer in this dimension, meaning it basically destroys the matter since we have no way to retrieve it. But sending matter into a dimension with no space... who knows what that could do to said dimension? Best not to worry about that, it's not like it's important.

SemiSPAD:
The SemiSPAD was designed after a ban on SPADs after a massive world war that sent half of asia to Zero-Zero. They simply omit the Gemdrive, and don't generate enough gravity to equal a black hole. Thus, they do not send matter to Zero-Zero, only displace it within this world. However, they are significantly less powerful than a SPAD, barely more powerful than an equivalent Nuclear bomb.

Thoughts?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I have a few more ideas, but bear in mind I have plans for these, so I'd appreciate if you only used them in RPs and such for now, and not in a book or video game. OK?
Of course I can't make any strict promises, but I've got another high-tech setting universe outside of this coming roleplay that will feature at least some of the technologies in this thread in some incarnation or another.

Artificial Observation:
This basic technology can allow a machine to act as an observer: By inputing the mathematical implications of the needed body, the machine generates random numbers at an incredible rate and then plugs these numbers in as part of an equation presumably modeling the interaction of this particle with some outside force. Though these numbers are almost infinitely likely to be completely incorrect, the fact that they would have a 100% chance to be right if applied to the particle long enough is enough to observe the particle. However, due to requiring immense information to apply to even a single particle it's primary use is in other technologies. Of special importance is the...
The problem with your interpretation of an 'observer' is that quantum uncertainty breaks down with any kind of interaction outside the quantum system. Observation, in most cases, is just a substitution for interaction, and I can't think of any reasonable, theoretical-physics way for particular styles of observation to result in a subject rendered differently. Given the computational requirements of this technology, it seems unlikely that the roleplayer-characters would get to use it at all.

Gravitational Node (Gnode):
The technology to render points with variable gravity. These stem from a single source node, but can affect an area by aligning a grid of these. The nodes are generated by manipulation of the Higgs-field by observing the Higgs Bosson with an artificial observer. By weighting the random number generator to apply different numbers to the random equations the Higgs-Field is manipulated to give the particles an altered gravity-to-mass-ratio (GMR): The lower the average random number the higher the GMR (and vice versa). These nodes can be static, but by heating the air around them by incredible amounts and accelerating it in a given direction they can be "fired". Why this works is unknown.
Artificial gravity was going to be employed in this roleplay as a matter of course, this thread was more for to ground and explain the advanced technologies that don't immediately come to mind in science-fiction but are nevertheless 'possible' within it. That said, this sort of technology seems like it would be better to just say 'this works, deal with it'. Perhaps a universal field manipulator is in order to ground those relevant technologies.

Ultradense crystal data storage (Gemdrive):
A simple and straightforward technology, allowing 3d data storage at 1 bit per molecule in an ultradense material. They can store up to 512 yottabytes in a 1x1 centimeter cube and have virtually unlimited read speed, but the drawback is they cannot be rewritten after the initial write without breaking down the material into it's base crystal and recondensing it.
I was thinking of simply having individual strings used as a storage device across ten or eleven dimensions, when it comes to ultra-high capacity. Binary has two options, quantum has a continuum, so let's extend that into eleven dimensions instead of one.

Saxter device (named after inventor Reid Saxter):
By generating a contained ultra-high gravity node roughly comparable to a black hold, and then colliding it with a null-G node fired into the center, it can be stabilized into a gateway for a few seconds. This gateway leads to another dimension, and coincidentally almost always points to an area of close to the same mass as the earth. Emitting a particular frequency vibration can force it to lead to a particular dimension, and this same frequency will always point to the same dimension. This frequency is so delicate that it takes a 1x1 meter Gemdrive to store the necessary data, but it can be used.
While I appreciate the effort, this is far and above what I have intended for this roleplay.

Saxter-Pelman-Arthurs Device (SPAD):
A collaborative work between doctors Elijah Pelman and Susan Arthurs based on Dr. Saxter's technologies. A large device that generates a Saxter-gate at a point without containing the field. This sucks in all the matter within a colossal area, and has basically replaced the nuclear bomb. It is essentially just a Saxter device that fires the black hole node as well as the null-G node. The complicated part is sending the two far enough not to destroy the device, which requires the pulsing of several low-G nodes before it to allow the node to easily transfer to the destination without prematurely activating the gate.. They are all encoded to the theoretically non-existent dimension known by scientists as Zero-Zero. It is the mathematically necessary but physically impossible dimension in which no time or space can exist. This means the matter is no longer in this dimension, meaning it basically destroys the matter since we have no way to retrieve it. But sending matter into a dimension with no space... who knows what that could do to said dimension? Best not to worry about that, it's not like it's important.
For the larger implications, same as above. But as a weapon? Sure.

SemiSPAD:
The SemiSPAD was designed after a ban on SPADs after a massive world war that sent half of asia to Zero-Zero. They simply omit the Gemdrive, and don't generate enough gravity to equal a black hole. Thus, they do not send matter to Zero-Zero, only displace it within this world. However, they are significantly less powerful than a SPAD, barely more powerful than an equivalent Nuclear bomb.
Since this relies on the above, and you know the commentary on that already, I can't say much more here.

Argenteus

Well then. All the ones before the SPAD were basically technologies necessary for the SPAD/SemiSPAD, actually. But as to your comment on that you had another sci-fi universe that would use these technologies, that's fine as long as it's not commercial or anything: You could consider all my ideas there as under an (unofficial) CC-BY-NC license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back