• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Scarred: The First Journey

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Okay. This is my original fic. It's not... Good. Yet. Yeah. There's room for editing, but yeah. So, like it. Yeah. Please? Ecks Dee. I don't care if you like it or not. o.o Here goes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hadn't it been an eon since the last one had appeared at their village, fought, and been destroyed?

That was what ran through the instructor's mind as she remembered the creature from the ancient history texts and scrolls she poured over so often. A Cursed One.

It loomed in the back of the class as she turned to the chalk board. She quickly began writing on the board. Hopefully, it couldn't read English- a dead language from long ago. She wrote a warning with her white chalk. The students immediately cast their eyes down. A bead of sweat ran down her cheek, and she saw the Cursed One turn its head. It saw her. She gazed at it from out of her peripheral.

A long gray jacket over a lighter shaded shirt of the same drab material covered its upper half, while long gray slacks covered the rest of it. It was incredibly thin. A long belt was strapped around its waist lazily. Shaggy dark hair concealed two bright red eyes. If you looked into those eyes...
She saw the symbol on its back. It portrayed the face of the Cursed One's Master. The Cursed One glared at her from beneath its shaggy bangs. She didn't look back at it; she merely pretended to study the book in her hands as she paced around the front of the circular room. It was hard to believe that the thing had once been a human.

Cursed Ones were a race of humans that had evolved in physical strength and intelligence, but they had clearly lost so much more. They were cold, cruel beasts that never stopped glaring, let alone smiled.

It wasn't known how they became what they were- are, the teacher realized, seeing as how they were coming back, apparently- or by who. What was known, though, was the consequence of acknowledging one.
If you looked at a Cursed One, your body would become paralyzed. You could see it, and by looking at it, you enabled it to see you. Otherwise it was blind. Letting your fear of it show- even the slightest drop of perspiration could let it know how you feel- would give it a glimpse of you. Then it locked on. It would find you, and then it would try to get you to give in to its spell. For some reason, the Cursed Ones believed that if they managed to bring another into a live as tormented as theirs, they themselves would be freed from their prison.

It wasn't true. They became possibly more corrupt, but never would they die.

The whimper of a child suddenly snapped the teacher from her thoughts. She had forgotten to warn the class. She looked up. All of the children had averted their eyes from the Cursed One except for Degini.

Degini hadn't read the warning. Degini couldn't read English. And he was staring at the Cursed One. The teacher made her way towards him, but she was too late. Degini let out a gasp. Enhskat, Degini's twin, had thrown himself between the Cursed One and Degini.

The Cursed One, who had been reaching out to Degini, took a step back, surprised. Enhskat pushed Degini's head forward, tearing his brother's gaze away from the Cursed One. Degini stared ahead, not even blinking. The rest of the class did the same. It seemed as if they would be all right. The teacher let out a sigh of relief.

And then she saw the look on Enhskat's face. Sweat poured freely down his forehead. His breath shook, and it came in ragged pants. His pupils were the size of pinpoints. His whole body was shaking.

The Instructor ran, but she was too late to save him. The Cursed One grabbed Enhskat by his raven hair, jerking his head back and glaring into his deep blue eyes. Enhskat let out a scream and then collapsed to the floor.

~-~​

Enhskat woke up, breathing heavily. He rubbed his forehead, and then he collapsed back onto his small cot. It had been three weeks since his injury. He remembered the look on the Cursed One's face as it left.

Disappointment. It wasn't enough. He hadn't brought Degini or Enhskat out of their happy worlds and into its own, terrible one.

It had merely left Enhskat blind his once-familiar-world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yep. Enhskat is blind. Don't worry. They get nicknames. >_<​

Last edited:

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
I don't know. Where are they from?

o.o

I couldn't thinka a good name. I'll give them another when I think of it. >_<

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
No.

This is like my sixth fic.

But it IS my first original. And I'm not happy with the intro, but yeah.

So yeah.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Forget double posting. >_>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enhskat threw his dull axe at the log he had propped up on an old, decaying stump. He heard the axe and log go flying- he could hear everything, it seemed -but he didn't care where it ended up. He had always been the strongest twin. The best in his class. Where had all his talent gone? Down the drain, along with his eye sight? He bitterly accepted these depressing thoughts. Now he couldn't even cut wood without extreme focusing. He put a hand out, following the trees he had marked until he reached the small cottage he and Degini resided in. He grasped for the image of the rickety little shack, finding it surprisingly easy to call up. Enhskat remembered the peeling blue paint on the crooked sides of the house. A crude wooden frame, nearly unstable pine floors.. But the stairs had worked. Enhskat had fixed those shortly before the "accident". He grimaced at the thought of that term. It hadn't been an "accident". It had been a "mistake". It was a mistake to help Degini. Enhskat felt his eyes widen at these surprisingly bitter thoughts.

He jerked his head at the sound of footprints. He held very slow, squinting as if it'd let him see something. He thought he would've traded anything for that sense. The crunch of leaves. And then a small, nervous voice.

"E?" It was Degini. He referred to Enhskat as "E" now. It had only taken him a few days to memorize the English alphabet after the accident, and he caught onto the language quickly. That didn't make a difference to Degini. He remembered when "D" had first came to him, eager to please.

"E!"

The voice was friendly and excited. Degini. Enhskat could imagine the grin on his face. He drummed his fingers on something. It might've been a book. Enhskat's eyebrows rose and met in a frown. "What?"

"E," Degini insisted. "If we were speaking English, you'd be called E, because that's what your name would start with."

Enhskat sat on the ground and glared into his brother's eyes. He knew where they were. He knew that Degini's deep blue eyes would be glittering with confusion, and that the younger twin would probably be biting his lower lip, or blowing his blonde hair out of his eyes. Soft features would flush red as he waited nervously. Enhskat knew his brother.

"Great. You know English." He didn't try to hide his bitter tone.

"Yeah! It's great! I get it now," Degini said enthusiastically. He hadn't caught Enhskat's anger, it seemed. He did, however, catch the rock Enhskat heaved at him. The elder twin stood up, clenching his fists. How did he know where to stare? It frightened Degini.

"Well, that's just great, 'D'," Enhskat said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Maybe next time one of those Cursed Ones shows up, you'll be able to save your own sorry hide." And then he had walked away.

Degini remembered it, too. "E..."

Did E know that Degini blamed himself more than his brother could ever know? Did he know of the burden that poor D carried as he fell asleep on those crisp autumn leaves? A blanket of orange, yellow, and red covered D as he slept, not daring to go back to his home. If he woke, he remembered the terrible accident that had occurred, and then he found tears streaming down his face.

E shed no tears, though he had every right to.

"E?" Degini asked again, concerned. Enhskat snapped out of his memory. He blinked a few times before speaking.

"Yeah?" Enhskat stretched his arms out from his sides, yawning. Degini was frowning, still. He had peered into his brother's stone gray eyes. It sent a chill throughout his body to see those eyes. They reminded him of the stone prison he had sentenced his brother to without meaning any harm. D shook the feeling away as his brother ran a hair through his own thick black hair. It was messy, as usual. It had been messy even before E's sight had been taken. His skin was darker, too. Dark brown. His eyes had been dark brown before. D blinked.

"I just wanted to know if you wanted to go inside. I'll finish up here." D bent down to retrieve the axe. When he brought himself up again, he saw E looking around, though the colours, trees, and rocks meant nothing to him. He looked apologetic.

"I'm sorry. I threw the axe," he admitted. "I got frusterated." Enhskat rubbed the toe of his boot against his other heel. D laughed, walking right into a trap he should have been aware of.

"It's alright. It's only been a week. You can hardly be expected to have mastered regular stuff when-"

"-Are you saying I can't do anything?" E's temper had a way of flaring, these days. He hadn't been quite as moody before. Now it was either 'don't care' Enhskat or 'I'll kill you' E.

"No, that's not what I meant," Degini said, choosing his words carefully. "I only meant that it's been really soon after the accident, and you've been doing really well, but-"

"-Accident? Accident? If I do recall, Brother," E said, glaring at the ground. He put a sarcastic emphasis on the last word, "this is all your fault."

Degini glared at the ground, too. His fists clenched, he spoke through gritted teeth. "I know it is. And I'm trying to find a way to make it right. But I think you're ignoring me because you don't want to forgive me. How many times do I have to beg?"

"Oh, yeah. Poor little D. He can chop wood, and he can read, and he can see. He has things so hard." E stomped off into the woods, stumbling a little on a stone. He left Degini to stand there, gaping in confusion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There. An update. Love it. >.>

Krazy

Jabberwocky
It almost made me cry! Must be the song I'm listening to...>.>;

*cries for D 'n E* I want to huggle them both and make them feel better!! ;-;

*hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

TheClamWhisperer

Vampire Fish
Wow....that was awesome! Those cursed ones are so original! This is extremely interesting....it is sort of like the village with 'those we do not speak of' except this is better since they arent old geezers running around in red robes.....

Update soon!

Now Im freaked out....this is what happens when yer alone in your house and you read a creepy story...now I need to get the gun from the closet >_>

Any Cursed Ones show up I'll blast a bullet up their arses.....

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
The Village pwned. Though it would have been better if 'those we don't speak of' were real.

THAT NAME IS A TOTAL CONTRIDICTION! IF YOU DON'T SPEAK OF THEM, THEN YOU WOULDN'T NEED TO SAY THAT.

._.

I laugh at thinking of English as some dead language. =D It reminds me of Isaac Asimov's short story, 'Someday', where written language is so dead that most people don't even know it existed- no paper, no writing implements, no marks. Just sound. 'Twas awesome. And the whole point of the story didn't even have to do with that. ^__^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back